• Published 10th Feb 2019
  • 1,412 Views, 118 Comments

The Woman Who Lived Nextdoor - Hazel Mee



A fishercolt's world is turned upside-down when a human mare moves to his backwater town.

  • ...
7
 118
 1,412

6 - Discord's Fang

I was panting and sweaty when we reached the base of the cliff trail and crunched our way across the pebble beach.

Something in Mayree's heavy sack dug into my withers and I shrugged my shoulders to try to shift it away from my neck. It was nothing a tough earth pony stud couldn't handle, but I'd be glad to unload whatever was in the heavy sack.

Felt like a suit of armour.

"I want to go south west this time", Mayree said as we walked along the creaking dock. "Stick close to the coast and anchor off… What's was it called? Discord's Tooth?"

"The Fang? Why in Celestia's name do you want to get anywhere near that?" I crouched to slide the bag off of my back and it landed on my sloop's deck with a thump and clang.

Mayree jumped forward to catch it even though it was too late. "Hey! Careful with that."

"Sorry."

I swiped tangles of black mane out of my eyes. "Why there?" I repeated.

She unzipped the sack and pulled out a pair of goggles that looked like something a Wonderbolt might wear. She waved them at me and said, "With these on I can see underwater and I heard there's a wreck there. I want to have a look."

I remember that night.

A feral storm too powerful for the weather ponies to deal with blew in from the South Luna Ocean and everypony battened the hatches, hunkered down, and prayed to the princesses. It must have worked because the only casualties were shingles, windows that hadn't been boarded over, a cloud house that wasn't tethered, and the crew of Lucky's Hoard. They never made it to the safety of Smile Harbour.

Frowning I told her, "I'm not helping you desecrate a grave."

"Aww… Come on! I won't touch anything. I just want to have a look."

I frowned at the pleading expression she gave me. I'd resisted puppy-dog-eyes from adorable foals and Mayree's mouth was so small it barely qualified as pouting. But the boat charter bits were too tempting, so I sighed and relented. "Alright, but no 'recovering lost artifacts' — I hate that Daring Do strudel."

"I won't. I already said I wouldn't."

"Fine." I wasn't happy to be going, but set about untying and ponied the oars to row us out to the breakwater.

Shortly after sunrise I spied Sun Squall waving to us from the tip of Discord's Fang. A large blinking lightstone on its peak flashed her red and orange. She must have spotted us sailing there or more likely Mayree had told her where we were going. I anchored well away from the jagged rocks lurking beneath the surface and Sun Squall swooped down to help Mayree struggle into a tight-fitting black skin. It almost completely covered her, leaving just her pink face, hands, and paws sticking out.

"What on Equestria's green turf are these?" I asked while lightly clinking a hoof against the pair of metal cylinders that had been in Mayree's bag. No wonder it was so muffin heavy!

"Air tanks", she said while pulling a broad and thin shoe of flexible black material over her paw. They reminded me of sailfish fins. She pressed a muzzle mask over her blunt face, twisted a knob on the tank, and inhaled as it hissed. "Ahh… A breath of home."

Odd, wasn't this her home?

Mayree set the tanks on a locker and struggled into shoulder straps attached to them while Sun Squall and I held them steady. She shuffled awkwardly to the port rail and sat with her back to the waves.

"I'll be a half hour or so", she said in a nasal tone after slipping the goggles over her eyes and nose.

"Be careful of the rocks", I warned as she pushed the mask into her mouth. She clenched her hand and jabbed a hooked feeler upwards at me, leaned back, and tumbled over the side.

I rushed over, put my hooves up on the rail, and peered down into the greenish waves. A white froth of bubbles made it almost impossible to see her long black-suited body as she swam away from my boat. A tube jutting out the back of her head broke surface and blew a spray of water, just like a dolphin.

"I'll keep an eye on her." Sun Squall flew out over the swells and hovered over Mayree.

Not that there was much either of us could do if she was in trouble. We're not blintzing seaponies! I'd sink like a rock if I took off my cork vest. Mayree swam along the edge of Discord's Teeth, the sharp rocks that lurked beneath the waves, and dove completely under a few times. My only clue to her whereabouts was Sun Squall keeping watch.

It was a relief when she slowly flew back to me and one of Mayree's hands shot out to grab the port rail.

"Well that was disappointing", she griped the moment she took the mask off her muzzle.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, nothing but busted up planks and tangled ropes."

I nodded and asked, "What did you expect? The Teeth have chewed on that wreck for a few years." I went to haul up my anchor, eager to get away from this haunted place.

"Right, let's get back to port then."

"Aww…" Mayree whined. "It's not even close to lunchtime yet and I have at least half a tank left. Is there anywhere else worth diving around here?"

"How about the Cathedral?" Sun Squall chirped.

I shook my head. "I'm not dropping anchor near that death trap."

"The Crystal Reefs? There are lots of pretty fish there, Mayree."

I kept shaking my head. "It's a day's sail west and it'd be dark before we arrive. Navigating reefs by starlight might sound romantic but it's a quick trip to the bottom if you make a mistake."

Mayree would have to pay me for another day too.

Sun Squall hummed in annoyance while fluffing her wings. "I forgot how slow you land ponies are. Wait! That's it! How about the seapony cave? It's right by the harbour."

A chill ran down my spine and the fur at the nape of my neck stood on end.

"Seaponies? They're real?" Mayree unbuckled the tank straps and left them leaning against the rail. While she struggled to get one of the odd paw covers off she said, "I saw design sketches of them around the studio, but then the Gate opened and everything went kind of crazy. I doubt they'll ever finish the мοvιε now."

I smoothed my neck fur and said, "Some ponies claim they exist but I've been sailing since I was a colt and I've never seen one."

Mayree frowned. "So there aren't any living in this cave?"

"No."

Sun Squall poked me with a wing. "Yeah, but there might have been! My great-uncle said he saw one playing in the surf when he was building a sand castle."

Mayree's skin-tight black suit creaked as she stood up. "A sand beach? That'd be worth the trip even if there's no seaponies. Let's go!"

So we went. I didn't want to, but it was Mayree's bit.

Craggy cliffs loomed on three side as I ponied the tiller and tacked us right up onto the small beach. My sloop's bow ground on sand and I quickly threw the stern anchor overboard. It should keep the gentle waves from turning her sideways and I could back us out with the oars if Mayree and Sun Squall pushed us off.

"Wow", breathed Mayree as she craned her head back to gaze up the cliffs. "This place seems so isolated, but we're pretty close to town aren't we? I'm surprised there's nopony down here enjoying the beach."

I jabbed a hoof up where Sun Squall was gliding, taking advantage of the breeze blowing up the cliff face. "Your house is just up there, but there's no path down so you can't get here except by air or sea." And most ponies with wings or boats had better things to do than laze about on a beach. Even the foals were in school at this time of day.

"Nice! Looks like we have the place to ourselves then", she said before laughing and jumping over the side. She waded ashore and turned around to find me still standing on board. "Come on, Mainstay!"

I grunted, put my hooves up on the rail, and stared down at the foaming surf. I hadn't been back here in years and it still made my guts churn. I jumped in, splashed ashore, and followed Mayree onto the soft golden brown sand. Its dry sun-warmed scent and the way it clung to my wet hooves and tail brought back memories of carefree days. Nothing had changed since I played here as a foal and the looming cliffs made me feel small.

Insignificant.

"Hey, Squall!" Mayree yelled with her hands cupped around her mouth. "Feel like getting us a few beers from my house?"

"Sure thing!"

Sun Squall disappeared over the cliff edge and I grumbled, "I hope you're not going to drink before you swim."

Mayree's hand moved towards my head and I shied away. Was she trying to mess with my mane?

She laughed and shook her head, "No, I'm not stupid. It's for after I get back. Where is it, anyway?"

I jabbed a hoof at the south cliff. "Please be careful and don't go swimming into it."

"I won't." She made a sad little snort with her tiny nose and said, "Like I said, I'm not stupid or suicidal. Now help me put my gear on."

A while later Sun Squall flew down with a basket in her mouth as Mayree waddled out to sea in her ridiculous shoes. Sun Squall had made a few snacks to go with the beer and we put it in the shade of a rock while we waited.

And waited.

"Quit pacing, Mainstay. You're going to wear a hole in the beach." Sun Squall patted wet sand onto the lumpy cone she'd piled on the damp foreshore. "Come help me make a castle. You can dig the moat."

"What is she doing?" I grumbled while staring hard at the south cliff. "She can't have had that much air left."

She snorted at me. "You're such a worrypus! Relax. She was super-careful at the Teeth and I'm sure she's fine. Now get your tail over here and help me finish building our castle!"

"Our castle?"

"I'm happy to share!" She grinned at me but for once her joy wasn't contagious.

My skin twitched with irritation, like flies were landing on me, and I wanted, needed, to get back on my sloop and sail far away from this rotten place! Where was Mayree?! I should never have brought them here. I sucked on my lower lip, stared hard at the cliffs, and wondered if there was anypony in town who could go in after her. Anemone and Coral were the best swimmers but even they couldn't dive down to the cave entrance. Chill Breeze had those air spells he used to make ice — could he make a bubble around his head, like Mayree's tanks? No, he didn't swim. We might have to-

I barely managed to shut my eyes before a wave of cold salt water hit me in the face!

Spluttering I gasped at Sun Squall, "W-what the muffin?"

She scooped another wingful of water at me and yelled, "Stop ignoring me!"

Prancing out of the way I only got half soaked.

"I'm not ignoring you!" I shouted at she flung another wave at me. I dodged onto the foreshore, where the wet sand was better for traction and surf boiled around my hocks. "I'm just worried about-"

"Mayree! I know, and that's sweet, but you should have more confidence in her. She's having fun and you're missing out! You're on a beautiful beach on a gorgeous day and a pretty mare wants to play with you, you dope!" She growled, crouched, and waggled her hindquarters in the air like a feral cat.

"But-"

"Rarrgh!"

She chased me up the beach, trying to nip at my tail. My sour mood fled from her glee and I found myself laughing as we splashed around in the surf like foals half our age. Sun Squall's wings gave her an advantage as our water fight raged from one end of the beach to the other and back again. At least she played fair and didn't fly away as I tackled her into the sea. I was heavier and stronger so it was only going to end one way.

"Ha ha hee! I give! I give!" she laughed and squealed while frantically tapping out on the wet sand.

Flushed and panting I gave her one last tickle before letting her go and rolling onto my back next to her. The waves broke over our tail-ends, helping cool us as I caught my breath while squinting at the bright sky.

Sun Squall's breathy giggles settled down. She suddenly wrapped a wing around my chest, pulled herself close, and stuffed her muzzle into my ear to whisper, "Thanks."

"Hay!" I laughed and flailed my legs.

She clung on, giggling as I struggled onto my belly. I rolled my eyes and nuzzled her cheek.

"I should be thanking you, you silly filly."

"Mmm", she hummed while returning my nuzzle. "Okay, but that was fun for me too and it felt good to use my special talent."

She arched her back, stuck her rump up in the air, and waggled her cutie mark: a white gift box with a blue ribbon tied around it. Her talent was knowing what somepony needed to make them happy — not what they said they wanted but what they really needed. She loved giving the perfect gift to put a smile on somepony's muzzle, even if it was just lending a hoof or bugging some stupid colt into having fun when he was being a grouch. She did a lot of public-service jobs for the town hall and I'd bet on everypony voting for her if she ever ran for mayor… I would.

"Plus I got to tussle on a romantic beach with a hot stud", she said with a smug smile.

I snorted and pushed her face away with a sandy hoof. "A sweaty stud, you mean."

She wiggled against me and moaned, "Ohhh, sweet Celestia! Take me! Make me your mare, you sexy beast!"

I'd more-or-less been in a position to 'take her' when I tickle-tackled her… so much for it being an innocent game. My ears burned and I stood up, slipping out from under her wing.

"Aww. You're getting all uptight again."

"I… Umm…" Searching for something to distract her, I looked around the sheltered cove with my brows furrowed and asked, "Where's Mayree?"

Sun Squall's exaggerated pout turned into a worried frown that matched mine. "Want me to fly over and have a look?"

"What are you going to see? If she went into that blintzing cave you won't see nothing."

"I'm sure she's okay?" Her voice quavered uncertainly. "Maybe I should fly into town and alert the Coast Guard?"

I bit my lip. The princesses would have our hides if one of the few precious humans they'd invited to live in Equestria was hurt… or worse. We had better tell the Guard. Even if they could only dragonfire a scroll to Princess Luna, she might come storming to Smile Harbour to rescue a friend.

And swat me like a bug.

"Yes, I think you should- No, wait!" I spotted a spray of water as Mayree surfaced near the beach. I sprang into a gallop, kicking sand flying. "There she is!"

Sun Squall flew and beat me to her as she flopped onto her back and ripped the mask off her muzzle. She gasped and panted as I danced nervously on the wet sand.

"Thank the stars!"

"What happened?"

"Why were you gone for so long?"

"Mayree?"

I yelled, "Say something!"

Mayree gasped out a laugh at us and sat up. "Calm down! Jεsμs, let me catch my breath." She pulled the goggles off of her face and it left a dark outline in her soft skin.

Sun Squall dropped onto the sand and wrapped her fores around Mayree's slender belly. "We were worried about you", she mumbled with her muzzle pressed under Mayree's teats, pushing them up under the water-slick black suit.

Mayree petted her and cooed, "Sorry, Squall. It's okay, I'm alright." She cocked a fuzzy eyebrow at me and asked, "Was he worried too?"

Sun Squall snickered. "Pacing like a sire at the birth of his first foal."

"I did not."

"Did too!"

I snorted angrily and pointed an accusing hoof. "Well it's her fault for being gone for so long!" I glared at Mayree and asked, "You went into the blintzing cave, didn't you?"

She hunched over and admitted nothing.

"You did!" I waved my hooves in the air and raved, "Sweet Celestia's mercy! You stupid mare! What the baked bads were you-"

"sнμτ μρ!" she barked at me. "Shut up, you grouchy muffin-head! I peeked inside and saw light and an air pocket so, yeah, I went in and had a look around. Alright?"

It was far from alright but I was curious as catfish; nopony had ever been in the seapony cave! I dug a hoof in the sand and reluctantly asked, "So, what was in there?"

"Were there seaponies? Did you make friends?" asked Sun Squall while cuddling up against her side.

"Heh, no. There was nopony there, but it looked like there once was." My ears quivered but couldn't perk any higher. "There's a little beach and a skylight in the cave's roof. I found a bunch of primitive tools and an old basket woven out of seaweed or something. Lots of fish bones and-", she unzipped the front of her suit and pulled a white sphere the size of a line float from between her teats, "-this!"

"Put it back!" My ears snapped flat and I backed away a few steps. Even in the bright sunlight I could see its heart glowed with magic.

"What? ƒμςκ τнατ! Are you stupid or something? It's a gοδδαм pearl as big as my eyeball!" Mayree snorted and slipped it back in her suit, "I'm keeping it."

I moaned and tucked my tail tight. "You shouldn't mess with seapony magic."

She shrugged and started working one of her paw covers loose. "I'm not worried. Hey, did you get the beer? I could really go for one right now."

"Yep!" Sun Squall pranced away to fetch the basket.

I sat and nibbled on my lower lip. I had to ask. I had to know.

"D-did you see anything else?"

She hummed and waved her paw cover in the surf to rinse sand off. "Well, there was a mound of, I guess, land pony junk in one corner. A torn fish net, an umbrella, a water-damaged painting of some captain pony, and a deflated ball. Quite the beach combers those seaponies."

I sniffled and she looked up at me. "Something wrong?"

A couple of swipes from a fore across my eyes cleared away the evidence and I choked out, "N-no, it's nothing."

"Okaaay."

"The ball… Was it white with red stripes?"

She nodded slowly and said, "Yeaaah, why? Was it yours?"

"I said it's nothing." I lurched to my hooves and staggered towards a blanket Sun Squall had laid on the sand. "Come on, let's get you that beer."

I needed one too.

Author's Note:

Something was 'off' in this chapter and I couldn't get to sleep last night. I had to get up and re-work a fair chunk of it. Darn these ponies! They drive me to drink... decaf tea. :raritydespair:

Please PM me if you spot a mythical typo.

(PS: Special thanks to Cross Lament for listening to my exhausted babble about Sun Squall's cutie mark revision. :heart:)