• Published 28th Jan 2019
  • 386 Views, 15 Comments

The tragedy of Sacanas - Leondude



A prequel to a fanfic I wrote called "A series of unfortunate events that leads to another redeemed villain, yay!", it follows the exploits of the individual that made the Staff of Sacanas and his inevitable downfall.

  • ...
5
 15
 386

Chapter 12 - Putting plans into motion

After a hard day of studying in the Royal Library, though taking a detour to test Sanies on his magical abilities, Sacanas was ready to hit the hay. But before he could do that, a note flamed out of thin air. It was written by Sanies.

Dear Sacanas

Since that Sleaze has noticed most of the test subjects I got from him are missing (although obviously I didn't tell him what I was doing with those ladies) I'm afraid I'm going to have to move from my humble abode to somewhere in the Everfree Forest before I get captured and executed for my crimes against dragonkind. I figured I might tell you this so you don't go wasting your time searching for where I am so we could continue with those tests. Feel free to mail me whatever nefarious schemes you've cooked up so we may crush Celestia once and for all.

Your faithful apprentice, Sanies

PS: If you have a change of heart or are interrogated by the authorites and tell the princess of my existence, I will find out and I will kill you. Trust me, I know where you live.

Sacanas chuckled at that. Why would he of all ponies want a change of heart? Though a better question is how can Sanies kill him if he is going to be travelling to other worlds? Part of his plan to take down Celestia is to use a magic mirror made by Star-Swirl the Bearded that can act as a gateway to other worlds. But of course, he cannot let Sanies know of the existence of this mirror, much less know that there are other alicorns in other universes. But he can't go in alone because a simple unicorn going up against an all powerful alicorn would result in extremely painful consequences, especially if that alicorn is far less merciful than Celestia. And so, he put on his favourite cloak and headed for the more seedier areas in the rather fittingly named Badlands. With a place named like that, he assured himself he will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy (except in Tartarus but that's more of a prison than anything). He then entered a cantina, which he found surprising because you'd think a place called the Badlands wouldn't attract any locals let alone anyone that wants to have a drink, and took a gander at the patrons. The variety of creatures and ponies present were including, but not limited, to a one-eyed unicorn weighing what appeared to be some sort of explosive while downing a bottle of cider, a balaclava-wearing changeling, and a dragon setting fire to some children's toys while childishly giggling. He then sat down at the bar and continued looking for any magic-wielding mercenaries that are tough, morally flexible, but not to the point that they would blow you up for fun. And then he noticed an explosion and an Earth Pony handing the bartender some bits while apologizing for the mess. While that would be nothing out of the ordinary, however, the skeleton that the Earth Pony left behind suddenly grew back his flesh and clothes (very quickly and painlessly I might add, otherwise I would have had to bump up the age rating). The pony in the red jumpsuit cracked his neck a few times before a unicorn wearing armour and an orange and black mask grabbed him and slapped him.

"Clearly, you need better listening skills" the amoured pony said "When I say Solo is dangerous and you shouldn't spend time talking to him, that means you should shut up and whack him"

"But I like to talk!" the red pony said "Why do you think people used to call me Mouthy Merc?"

"I'm very certain it was Mouthy Mark"

"Meh, Po-tay-to Po-tah-to"

Sacanas looked at the ponies and decided to talk to them. "Are you guys mercenaries by any chance?" he asked. The two ponies, courtesy of them wearing swords on their backs, just gave him a look that said "Really?"

"No, we're sword-swallowing court jesters" the amoured one said in a very dry tone.

Author's Note:

Lo and behold, the mercs I promised all of y'all. What? Did you really expect me not to be making TF2 references (and having ponies dress up as an awesome mercenary and another one ripping him off before becoming his own thing) when there's a place in Equestria called the Badlands (which, to be fair, does look a little bit like the Badlands IRL and in TF2.

Alright, I showed up in your story, now where's my money?

Ah yes, of course Mr Name shall be revealed in the next chapter, in which you will have to wait another day for.

Am I gonna be underused? Because that's what happens to really cool characters in prequels with a red motif! Like Darth Maul!

I am not telling you that.