• Published 30th Jan 2019
  • 1,947 Views, 17 Comments

Dragon Knight Duelist - Royaldragonknight



A story where Spike comes through the portal to become a Pro Duelist

  • ...
5
 17
 1,947

Regionals and Meetings

"Come on Rarity! We got to get to our seats before the finals start." Dash yelled way ahead of said purple haired girl and waving her drink around.

"Not so loud, Rainbow Dash... you're not the one whose reputation is at stake if you're seen here." She said a bit more cautiously as she carefully power walked her way over to the stands.

"How can you still feel like that after all the cool duels we've seen? I mean at first yeah but like all this stuff is so COOL I don't even care anymore." She grinned, the best part was seeing how things were coming together in most people's decks and even turning things around when they were going to lose. She did soften for a second. "Thanks for coming with me by the way... I don't think any of the other girls would have."

The two were attending a big event in the Convention hall of Canterlot. The city had been chosen to host the Regional Duel Tournament this year. An event spanning three days where some of the region's top duelists came out to compete for the title of Champion. Rainbow had gotten tickets, being a fan of the game itself and had asked Rarity along since she had said earlier that week she didn't have any plans.

"Any time, darling." Rarity said, letting go of how she could still feel like getting this secret exposed would be bad for her. She didn't really expect Rainbow Dash to understand, not for lack of trying though. Rainbow Dash was simply... not that well attuned to social status. When there was fame, glory, and... probably pyrotechnics involved, you get her attention, almost everything else matters nil. "So, this will mark the first time we've seen this Dragon Knight player, correct?"

Rainbow nodded as she was leading the way to their seats. "Yup, he's an up and comer in the duel ranks, I think he just started playing in the pros like 4 months ago and no one thought he would make it this far. He's supposed to have a ton of really strong dragon monsters. Including some really rare ones. And now he's in the finals!" She was really cheering for the guy.

"I wonder if he's one of the ones that dresses appropriately for the title he's earned for himself." Rarity said, already daydreaming a tall handsome man wearing a dragon themed knightly outfit, a billowing cape. Ah, such a wonderful fantasy.


"I haven't heard of the guy doing it, but I think he's our age." Dash shrugged as they got into their seats. "The current champ I hear does something like that though..."

"I haven't seen the current champion. Either way, this match will hopefully be quite exciting." Rarity said as she sat down, eager to watch another beautiful display.

Before Dash could reply the announcer came on the screen above the duel field. "Hey all you duel fans! Are you READY FOR THE FINALS!?" He was answered with a massive cheer from the crowd, including Dash herself. "Alright! Then join me in welcoming our regional champ!"



"The Samurai of the West!" He called as everyone cheered as a guy decked out in full samurai armor and even some damage and arrows sticking out of it with a duel disk shaped like a Japanese flag.

"You weren't kidding when you said that champion really gets into their role." Rarity said, the armor was gorgeously made, but she certainly wasn't expecting it.

"Right?" She giggled, finding it kind of ridiculous but she enjoyed the special.

"And joining him on the battlefield, a new up and comer who climbed his way through the ranks! The Dragon Knight!" The announcer motioned to the other side of the field where a boy no older than the two girls with Green hair done up in a spiky style and purple skin with clothing to match and a duel disk on his arm entered grinning at the crowd and waiving. "It's been very interesting to watch him rise through the ranks to this spot, seeing as he's just a rookie, but can he take the crown!? Who thinks he can!?" To that there where a lot of cheers and some boos from the die hard fans of the Samurai.

"So that's The Dragon Knight? He looks younger than I thought he would." Rarity said as she politely applauded her underdog amid the cheering crowd.

"I know right, though he also seems weirdly familiar... Can't say why though?" They hadn't been able to see any of his matches having focused on other ones throughout the event.

"Heh, think you can really go up against someone like me kid?" The Samurai asked in a condescending tone while drawing his hand.

"Not sure," Dragon grinned as he drew his own. "Did your mommy help you make your armor for you big day?" That got a glare from the man.

"Oh the sparks are already flying I see! Now because Dragon Knight is the challenger it means he takes the first move! Noooooow."

"Duel!" They both yelled and the projectors turned on.

Rarity shrugged "I mean, he looks like Twilight's dog. What with the purple skin and spiked green hair." She thought about it some more and frowned. "If we ever talk with him personally, you are not to tell him that I compared him to our friend's dog."

Dash giggled and agreed.

"Let's start things off big!" Spike grinned as he pulled a card from his hand. "I activate Polymerization and fuse two normal monsters in my hand," he pulled them out to show his opponent, "and form the First of the Dragons!" He pulled the fusion monster from his extra deck and slapped it onto the duel disk after the effect of the two monsters he used to fuse them swirled into each other and a massive wyrm like dragon with grey and blue scales burst out giving a mighty roar as it settled onto the field. It's ATK showed as 2700.

"Whoa! He summoned something like that on the first turn!?" Dash yelled as the boy continued.

"And since that counts as a special summon I also set one monster on the field along with two face downs to end my turn." He grinned as the three cards appeared. One side ways in the monster zones and two in the spell/trap zone.

"I wouldn't be surprised, dragons are the kind of creature to go big or go home." Rarity said with a smile, admiring the beautiful design of the creatures.

Whether or not the Samurai Champion was frowning or grinning was impossible to tell from behind his mask. What he did do was he swiftly pulled a card from his hand from his. "If you think that such a play is a bold move, then I can tell that you're already ten years too young to be challenging me. As you control a monster already from your side of the field and I do not, I may special summon Elder of the Six Samurai from my hand!" He says as he puts down the card.

A masked old man in a steam-powered palanquin burst from the pillar of light. "However, he knows his purpose. For the Elder paves the way for the younger generations." He pulls a magic card from his hand and plays it "As I use Asceticism of the Six Samurai to special summon Kagemusha of the Six Samurai from my deck." He holds his hand out to take the card as he plays the monster card in defense mode with only 400 attack, but 1800 defense it was a sturdy defense... but not one that could hold up to a dragon. From there he places down a face down monster card and a facedown card in the spell/trap zone.

"Let us see how this dance of war plays out." The second half of the Asceticism spell card went into effect and the Elder was destroyed.

"Thanks for not attacking by the way," He paused to draw "see you got to be a bit more bold when it comes to dueling dragons! I flip summon Totem Dragon into defense mode!" The card on the field flipped over to show a wood like dragon with a tribal style to it's design appeared. "Cause he's got a nice special effect. If I use him for a tribute summoning a dragon then he counts as two!" The crowd reacted with a gasp.

"Dude! We're about to see another of his powerful cards!" Dash jumped around excited.

"I sacrifice my Totem Dragon and summon White Night Dragon!" With a burst of light and a cold mist a massive dragon of pure ice emerged onto the field and gave it's own crystalline like roar as it's ATK showed 3000. "Next I activate the spell card Heavy Storm!" A massive wind kicked up from behind Dragon and swept across the field picking up both of their cards in the spell/trap zone before destroying them. "I think it's pretty obvious what it does huh?" He grinned.

Rarity was in complete and utter awe at the scale of size and the design of the dragon that he'd just summoned. It was beautiful. The Samurai however didn't even budge as the digital winds billowed his cloak.

"Got a Stone face there even in body language huh, Sam." Dragon grinned as he pulled another card from his hand. "I activate the spell card Fairy Meteor Crush and equip it to my White Knight Dragon. Now when it attacks a monster in defense position, you take the difference to your life points! Now attack!" He pointed forward as both dragons attacked one of the two monsters on the field. White Knight Dragon's cold breath destroying Kagemusha of the Six Samurai and dealing 1200 damage to Samurai. "I'll end my turn there."

"Hrmph, a formidable opponent indeed." The Samurai said as he searched through his hand for a good rebuttal, not forgetting to draw first. He grinned as he plays a spell card. Gateway of the Six Samurai as well as the spell card Six Samurai United "Time for the Samurai to start gathering, as I summon a tuner monster and synchro summon, The Legendary Samurai Shi En!" He says as a malevolent presence forces its way onto the field.

A Samurai in red armor with purple wings emerged in a blaze of darkness and as two bushido tokens were only added to the gateway, one was added to the other card. "Good luck keeping your dragons powered up. For once per turn whenever you activate a spell or trap card, Shi En can negate and then destroy that card. On top of that, if Shi En would be destroyed by any effect or battle, I can instead have another Six Samurai monster be destroyed in its place." He announced

With that he plays Grandmaster of the Six Samurai as the last card in his hand, adding another round of tokens. He spends two of them to increase Shi En's attack power from 2,500 to 3,000. "Now, serve your lord faithfully! Attack, Shi En!" He commands and the demonic samurai strikes at the White Knight Dragon, before the dragon could bite down on Shi En, the Grandmaster leapt in the way of the bite, destroying the Grand Master but saving Shi En.

"And now since the Grand Master was destroyed by the effect of Shi En, I may target one Six Samurai warrior from my graveyard and add him to my hand. Let us see how you will fare without your magic erasing dragon." The Samurai said as he drew a card from his graveyard.

Rarity shuddered from the sidelines as she watched the dragon fall. "I guess that he's the reigning champion for a reason..." She said worriedly.

The match had continued on like a clash of titans, Dragon's First of the Dragons being the only monster remaining on his side after a few of his other more powerful ones having been taken out and Samurai not having any Normal Monsters strong enough to take it out thanks to it's special effect.

Samurai Still had Legendary Six Samurai-Shi En that had been buffed with an equip spell to give it 3500 attack which let it whittle away at Dragon's Life points while his monster was in attack mode.

Dragon had a remaining of 2900 LP and Samurai had 2600, making them almost dead even and it was now Dragons turn once again. "Well I got to say Sam, it's been a heck of a match." Dragon grinned which earned him a nod from his opponent. "But I'm afraid that it ends here."

"What are you talking about? Your monster can't stand up to mine." He pointed out.

"Your right, I got nothing to make mine stronger since you wiped those out previously.... But I do still have my trap card." Dragon said as he revealed it.

If they could see his face, they would have seen Samurai's eyes widen as he backed up a step. "R-Ring of Destruction?!"

"That's right, and I attach it to my monster!" Everyone watched as what looked like a collar of grenades appeared around First of the Dragon's neck. "And when it goes off, we'll both take damage equal to its attack points!" Dragon yelled as it did so, an explosion engulfed the battlefield as both players covered themselves and their life points took the hit.

Samurai 0
Dragon 100

After some silence for the move the announcer came back. "A-And in an incredible final move after a massive duel of twists and turns! WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION!!"

The crowd went absolutely wild (except for Samurai's fans) and even Rarity joined in the standing ovation and the cheering.

"Dude that was so Awesome!" Dash yelled as she cheered along with the rest.

The announcer came down and went over to the two who had shaken hands in the middle of the arena. "Congratulations to our new Champion!" He took Dragon's hand and raised as the boy grinned. "The Royal Dragon Knight, Spike Emeraldfang!"

"That got the crowd to cheer more as Dash paused. "Wait... His name is Spike too?" She looked to Rarity confused.

"Co...incidence?" Rarity offered a bit weakly.

"Maybe...? Yeah it would have to be, both the ones we know are dogs right?" Dash laughed before looking at the growing crowd. "Hey! Want to get an autograph?"

"Oh Rainbow darling. If you've learned anything about show business from me, then it should at least be that you can get a lot more than just an autograph if you time it right." Rarity said with a knowing smile. "He has a fan website, right?" She asks

"Yeah, it's pretty small..." She pulled out her phone to pull up the site before her eyes widened and she giggled. "Well it was..." She showed it to Rarity and showed that it was gaining a lot more followers now.

Rarity spied one bit of information that she needed. "Alright, I got what I needed. Come on." She said, pulling Rainbow Dash into one of the side hallways, not really used a lot... but it had a vending machine. "and here is our key to having a nice time with Spike Emeraldfang." She said, gesturing to the vending machine.

"Um... Rarity, that's a vending machine...?" Dash pointed out confused as to how this would help.

"His favorite drink was noted on the website to be Enchantress Cola, once the autograph signing is over, he'll be dehydrated after a long battle and an even longer signing session. This is a back alley hallway not frequented by anyone, the perfect place to escape from almost any fan." Rarity explained with more than a bit of gusto, this was her specialty.

"So long as we don't get overbearing about being his fans, he should be perfectly fine with holding a conversation with us while we all enjoy our drinks here." She finishes with a small curtsy. "Trust me darling, it's what all those who linger in the spotlight feel."

"Yeah, just got to act cool." Dash said settling herself onto the machine with a smirk and a 'cool' look as they waited.

After sometime their wait did end as the door on the other side of the alley opened up and in came Spike with a big grin on his face. "Oh man that was fun! Still can't believe I won." He spoke mostly to himself as he went straight for the vending machine to grab a soda.



The moment that Rarity heard him speak she froze up a bit. She was determined not to squee, so she started very quietly repeating to herself. "Just be cool, he's just another boy. Just be cool, he's just another boy. Just be cool, he's just another boy." before taking another drink from the juice she got from the machine.

Spike blinked as he finally noticed the two and his eyes shot wide. "Oh no.... What are they doing here!?" He thought to himself not expecting to see these two of all people.

Rainbow the other hand was doing her best to keep herself contained, that being barely, as she burst into fan mode. "Dudeyouwheresocoolwithallthedragonsandyourmovesandand!" She jumped around for a moment, speeding up a few times. "Can we get a picture or two!?"

Spike popped his can, still a bit stunned. "Uh...." He actually did catch everything she said thanks to being around Pinkie so much. He was just still processing who was in front of him right now.

Rarity was so relieved that it was Rainbow that broke first as she gently put a hand on Rainbow's shoulder. "What my friend was trying to say was that she admires your play style. Even I must admit, you have a manner of charisma when it comes to dueling." she clarifies calmly, beating back her shyness with a mental broom.

Spike gave a bit of a nervous chuckle and a blush. "Heh, um thanks, that means a lot coming from yooOOU wanted some pics?" He quickly changed the subject as he literally almost blurted out something he really wanted to avoid.

Dash didn't even notice as she shot over to him. "Yeah! Hold still!" She grinned as she took a few selfies with him. Which he had no problem posing for.

Rarity gave her a look. "Oh come on Rainbow Dash, show some restraint. He's just been through a lot of fans doing the same. I'm sure some nice normal talk would be appreciated."

"You're welcome to take a few too." Spike offered. He was debating on if he wanted to bail on the talk or not....

Rarity flustered and began mumbling about she couldn't possibly, before quickly zipping over and taking a quick picture, a very quiet and very excited "Thank youuuu." Escaped her, flustering her even more. Only to be interrupted by a ping from the group chat. She looked to Rainbow immediately having expected her to have uploaded pictures of Spike to it. But she wasn't texting...

Rarity looked at the message.

Sunset: Hey, Princess Twilight just wrote to me saying that she hasn't seen Spike, any one know if he came through the portal recently?

Rarity raised an eyebrow at that as she looked back to Rainbow Dash. The coincidence from earlier creeping back into her mind.

Rainbow giggled seeing the message too. "I think we would have noticed another Purple pup walking around." She missed Spike's sudden stiffening of slight fear.

"Yeah... purple... pup." Rarity said before clearing her throat. "So, just a... just a..." Rarity couldn't get the idea out of her head, but the only thing stopping her was her mortification at saying someone she looks up to looks like a dog...

"Well it's been really nice meeting you girls!" Spike said quickly as he backed up to leave. "Thanks for the support and I'm glad you enjoyed the show, and it was lovely taking pictures with you Dash, Rarity. Have a good one!" With that he turned to leave very quickly.

"Aw... I wanted to hang more..." Dash said as he was walking away.



Rarity at that point thought for a moment. "Spike... how did you know my name? We never got a chance to introduce ourselves." She said, just as he was about to start leaving. "I mean... I'm flattered but, I don't even post anything on fan media."

"Um... Uh..." He paused in step not looking back as he tried to think fast. "Cause...." He spun around. "You guys are the Rainbooms! You've got a good few followers online too and your music is good." He wasn't lying, Twilight did set up the page with all their names and posted to it occasionally. "I recognized you from there." He laughed nervously.

Rainbow looked excited. "Wait! So famous people know about us!?" She asked excitedly.

Rarity looked excited as well, albeit her heart was fluttering a bit too much to speak. The Dragon Knight knew their band?! This was too much.

"Anywaaaaay.... Bye!" And he bolted, having avoided a very awkward situation.

"Darn... Why'd he have to bolt like that... I wanted to ask if we could bring him to our next gig?" Dash grumbled looking back to Rarity. "Still, that's super cool that he knows about us! The others are gonna flip!" She grinned.

"No kidding! Wait... I can't be excited until you say it, agh!" Rarity lamented her need to keep this a secret.

Dash grinned as she threw her arm over Rarity shoulder. "See that's why you shouldn't care about stuff like your image and stuff." She giggled.

"At this point, I'm really starting to think it might be worth it to come clean." Rarity despaired, but at least she knew that one of her idols liked their music.

Author's Note:

Sorry that the first chapter's duel was cut off a bit, I'm getting used to writing duels so this one isn't great