• Published 30th Jan 2019
  • 832 Views, 18 Comments

The metal HAWKEN - NinjaTurtle



A fifteen years old boy and his mech, DB, go on a mission but never returned. What happened to them?

  • ...
9
 18
 832

Chapter 19 Worthy challenge

Chapter 19
Worthy challenge

I was walking beside DB as we continued our journey to Canterlot. I had not long woke up and decided to walk stretch my sleeping joints. We were walking over an especially grassy and hilly terrain with the morning sun shining on us. I ate the sweets I had stashed in DB as breakfast because I didn't have much of a choice.

DB seemed to be fine as the sun reflected off parts of his metal chassis that weren't dirty. His green linings were still holding on with some flaking off due to the heat. His single blue 'eye' watched the terrain carefully. His heavy body left prints in the ground as we progressed the distance between us and our destination.

"So, DB, what do you think is going to happen? I wouldn't be surprised if they attack while we're there at Canterlot. " I said to strike up some conversation on this boring journey.

"Uncertain. Possibilities include ambush at gates, ambush before we reach our destination or carry on attack with more force due to our presence. " he said in his monotone voice.

"I hope it isn't possibility two or we could be in serious trouble. We've got no cover, no support or way to request it from here. " I said looking up at DB.

We walked for a good while just sightseeing as we walked to Canterlot. The calm before the storm.

"Warning, warning, unidentified signitures detected. Highly similar to changelings. Proceed with caution. " DB said. I looked out and couldn't find anything.

"Ok then. Pick me up. Let's be ready for the fight. " I ordered, DB following them.

I climbed in but let DB remain in control as I observed the display. I still couldn't see the changelings but I could see where DB found the signals.

One changeling, bigger than the usual popped into existence before me. DB zoomed in so I could see. It was the queen.

"Hello there, beast. What a great pleasure to meet you in pony. " she said in so much sarcasm, I could see it.

I turned on the mic and replied. "Hello pest, nice to see you again. " I said. She appeared not to notice the 'again' part of my sentence.

"I AM NO PEST YOU INSIGNIFICANT CREATURE. I am queen Chrysalis of the Changelings, and soon-to-be ruler of Equestria. " Chrysalis shouted.

"I am sorry, your majesty, but I don't care. If your going to throw threats, it ain't gonna work. " I said.

"I shall do more than 'throw threats', beast. I shall show you my latest weapon and destroy you. Show yourselves, my minions! " she shouted.

At that moment, at least twenty or thirty giant changelings appeared. They were the same height as DB and were bipedal. Their legs were like those of the minotaur and the arms were similar to DB's. These changeling-things were covered in a smooth shell like the normal Changelings with hole and two horns on their heads. From the look of it, they didn't have wings though.

"May I introduce the Titanlings! " Chrysalis said with so much pride, I thought her ego might surpass a certain pegasus.

She pointed a hoof and the Titanlings charged. DB fired his weapons into the crowds of enemies. Their armour, though thick, wasn't thick enough to stop heavy duty bullets and missiles.

"Twenty-four hostiles remaining. Warning, warning, weapon overheat.. " DB said to me. DB stopped firing. We extended the blade, ready to engage in close quarters combat. The first one to reach me was simply stabbed in the gut, piercing into the Titanling and ripping its guts out. The next one swung a punch at us. We stepped back then raised the blade, cutting into its head.

Two more engage simultaneously. We swung the blade diagonally and caught both of them. We raised it again and slashed the other way, catching them again and spilling their blood. The weapons were half cooled, meaning they would ready in one or two seconds.

A Titanling threw a punch. Being too close to dodge, DB raised his hand and caught it. The machine gun, now cooled, was lower and fired into its torso. DB used the machine gun only, slowing the overheating and taking out five more enemies, two kills being headshots which were as effective as on anything else.

We switched between slashing and hacking and shooting. Four more fell to a combo of the blade and gun. The Titanlings started grouping up. As they all charged together, I came up with an escape route. We couldn't back up, we couldn't use the guns as we would still be outnumbered and out matched.

"DB! Jump over them, now! " I said. DB responded. He used his thrusters to fly over them while I took care of the controls allowing DB to do so. While over them, we shot them with the machine gun and hellfire missiles. As we landed, DB re-extended the blade which he had retracted to use the missiles.

"Five hostiles remaining. Weapon heat at 72%. R-core at 58%. " DB said as I read the stats.

"OK, keep weapon usage to a minimum. Focus on melee until weapon heat it below 20%. " I ordered. The Titanlings had turned to face us now. Their numbers low, they engaged together. The first to reach us was greeted with a blade to the face, cutting it in two. As it's corpse fell, two more followed. The one in front went to punch when DB sliced it's arm off, swiftly followed by a push kick sending it flying back.

The one behind avoided it's compatriot and charged us. DB used the underside of the machine gun as a mace and whacked it in the head. As it stumbled, it was shot in the head, making it explode. The one in front of us raised its arms and brought them down. DB caught it's left arm with his right hand and it's right arm with the underside of the machine gun.

As the Titanling pushed down, the sound of DB's arm motors whirring and the grunts of the thing could be heard in the cockpit. I picked up my minigun, opened the hatch and stood up. This meant my shoulders were above the hatch as I lined up the minigun, beginning to spin it up.

"Eat metal and fuck off. " I said. I then pulled the trigger and saw its face turned to swiss cheese. I sat back into my cockpit and place the minigun back besides my seat.

"Alright, is that all of them? " I asked.

"Negative. One enemy remaiā€¦" DB was saying before we were knocked forward. DB continued forward to regain balance and put distance between us and the final Titanling. It snarled, showing mandibles that I hadn't noticed. It swung a punch at us and it connected as we were unprepared. DB took over and went defensive as I retrieved my senses.

When I took control, we went from defensive blocks to dodges and counters. It swung another punch with its right arm at us too close to dodge. I raised the machine gun arm to block and threw a punch with DB's arm. The punch knocked it back. We extended the blade and swung as soon as it gain balance. Its head was cut from the body as it collapsed to the ground.

"No enemies remaining. Hull integrity 79%. R-core 61%. " DB reported.

"Good. I'll get out and look around. You use the field repair drone to heal up. If this is a portion of the pest's army, we're going to need all the strength we can get. " I said.

After a quick heal and observations of the Titanling corpses, we continued with our journey to Canterlot. The journey to save Equestria. The journey of a lifetime.

----------------------
Applejack, Canterlot
----------------------

Applejack had woken up early like she was used to. The other ponies, not including Twilight, were still asleep. She quietly walked out to the dining hall with Twilight to get something to eat.

"So, Twi, how're ya this mornin'? " she said.

"Oh, I'm fine. I got up early to finish reading a book and to sort the papers I gathered on Connor. " Twi said, looking over.

"Really? Ya been taking note on Connor and you've not told us. " Applejack said, acting surprised.

"Well...yeah. But Connor comes round the library often so I usually ask a few questions or observe him doing things. " she said.

"So ya interrogated him and ya spied on 'im. " Applejack said jokingly.

"No. In fact, he sometimes goes through the new ones and edits them to make it accurate. He even wrote a page or two himself. I was sorting the pages and rewriting them to make a book on humans. Or, at least an entry in the book of the different races. " Twi explained.

"Well, do ya think Connor's OK? Ah know ya saw 'im fight those cultist ponies but a Changeling swarm ain't no easy task. " Applejack asked, wanting a truthful answer.

"Connor himself can't take on the Changelings but his robot partner, DB, could take them on. If anything, he could take them on and come out with a dent or two but that would be it. I don't know what they would do afterwards though. For all I know, he could be on his way here. " Twilight said.

"Ah highly doubt that. The distance between Ponyville and Canterlot castle would mean he'd have ta travel for a day or two . " Applejack replied.

As they walked into the dining hall, they saw the princesses already eating.

"Good morning Twilight sparkle and Applejack. I hope you had a good night sleep. " Celestia said, a reasonable stack of pancakes in front of her covered in syrup.

"Yes, I hope thee slept well. " Luna said after swallowing a piece of toast in her mouth.

The two ponies sat at the table. They both asked of a simple breakfast of one or two pancakes. As they did so, Fluttershy entered the room as well and quietly took her seat.

"So, princesses, have you heard back from ponyville? " Twilight asked.

"Ah, yes. They sent a message through spike this morning. They say the citizens are mostly unharmed aside from some scratches and bruises. " Celestia said.

"Wha' about Connor? Did any of 'em see say anything? " Applejack asked.

"The letter said that the Changelings attacked but we're quickly defeated by Connor Irons and his mech. He and his partner were last seen heading off toward Canterlot by foot by themselves. " the princess said.

"So Connor Irons is on his way here? Why? He stopped the invasion in ponyville. That should be it. " Twi said.

"We suspect that he thinks there will be another invasion in Canterlot. If he is true, we need to warn the guards. " Luna said, concerned be this implication.

They continued talking about this issue while also waiting for the others to get up. Once all of them were awake and filled in on what was going to happen, the mane six went back to their room to pack for the oncoming adventure ahead.

Once they had packed, the ponies met up with the princesses one last time.

"Good luck, my little ponies. Come back safely. " Celestia said.

"We will, your highness. " Twi said. We turned to leave until we looked up into the distance.

Flying in was a huge cloud of Changelings, the black cloud looked like a floating blob. It looked like it was pulsing, fidgeting and bulging. It moved up the mountain like a flock of birds.

Under the swarm were giants that became visible once they reached the level surface. They moved like an army towards the border of Canterlot. The giant creatures moved slowly as the swarm descended down towards the border.

The ponies and princesses watched in horror as the huge army effortlessly made their way into Canterlot. The Applejack backed up a few steps, followed by Rainbow Dash and Rarity. Fluttershy was frozen in place and Twilight looked up at the princesses for guidance. Pinkie was nowhere to be seen currently, though.

They all retreated into the castle as guards flooded out to stop the invasion. But the princesses knew their guards were not enough. They would need a miracle.

End of chapter 19

Author's Note:

The fun is here. The best part of the story I've been waiting for.
Although the Titanling fight scene took longer than expected due to me having to recount the ones I had kill to remember how many were left. I think I got it right.

Hint: let do our job and put our equipment to good uses...