• Published 30th Jan 2019
  • 824 Views, 18 Comments

The metal HAWKEN - NinjaTurtle



A fifteen years old boy and his mech, DB, go on a mission but never returned. What happened to them?

  • ...
9
 18
 824

Chapter 16 patient waiting

Chapter 16
Patient waiting

The moment I got up from the makeshift bed up in the barn, the joints popped and cracked in there satisfying way. My body way loosened after being cramped in the same position all night. The usual morning groans came with, never missing out on the morning stretch.

I turned to DB, who was in his version of a nap. Still aware of his surroundings through audio and radar, but not using more specific senses like sight. He had also kept a sensor out for the changeling energy signature, which gave them away due to them having to use their powers to disguise.

We talked more about it yesterday. A good point arose from the discussion, which was that we needed to work on melee attacks. That is because not many things use range but, instead, they brawled and would fight in close range. This meant we had to come up with a new fighting style for DB which was heavily focused on melee, like his sword.

Speaking of such, the sword in his wrist had gone blunt where it hadn't been sharpened. I would sharpen it later today, but it would need to be done. The equipment was fine from DB's scans and the repair droid was in top shape.

I climbed down to the barn floor in my second pair of casual clothes, which I had got in the time between the first and second attack on me. It was a maroon, short sleeved shirt with my initials on it in white. I had some normal black boxers on underneath my plain black tracksuit bottoms, again, with my initials sewed in on both sides in green. I had a holster around my waist with my pistol fitting snugly in its spot.

I walked out with a hand shielding my eye from the sun, which tried anyway to assault my eyes. I looked around, not seeing anyone yet. I started my normal morning walk to ponyville. To the library till I got hungary, usual at nine or ten, then head for sugar cube corner, to the street markets if too full of people.

I slowly removed my hand and started to walk, squinting a bit as my eyes adjusted. The path wasn't that long, although it would be a good exercise track if he were a pony. The path to ponyville still had DB's large footprints in the ground. It wasn't long till I got to the still sleepy town.

I walked to the library and tried the door. Surprisingly, it was locked. This would mess with my schedule today but it wasn't anything to bad. I went to go and see what else was around. Walking down the street, I saw a sweet shop, post office, town hall, houses with colours of the rainbow and a leisure and spa centre.

I had a look at these shops and, going with the gut, went to go to the sweet shop. I tried the door, which opened. A bell went off, signifying someone had entered. They apparently weren't paying attention as I moved around the shop. I had a look at all the types of candies. Everything from bon bons to fudge to gobstoppers.

I picked up some fudge and sour apple sweets. I went to the till to pay for them when the shopkeeper finally saw me after whatever they were doing. I walked over and put them on the counter. She tried to act normal, measuring and sorting them in the same way she would do for a customer. But when she had to speak to me, she froze up.

Urrr, that'll be bits...please. “ she said. I put my hand in my pouch of money on the holster and pulled out seven coins.

Thank you...have a nice day. “ said the pony. I took the bags and walked to the library to see if it was unlocked now.

The pony's started wondering out of their houses. I went to check the library again. As I passed ponies, they looked with caution. These looks were lessened when I smiled at them, although it did cause one or two to run off.

I tried the handle for the library. This time it opened, revealing Spike and Twilight with a plate of pancakes. I stopped as we all looked at each other awkwardly. I stepped in a grabbed the book i had picked before. I sat down, back to them as they continued to eat. Twilight spoke first.

Hi Connor. How are you? “ Twilight sparkle said, trotting over to see me.

I'm fine. You? “ I said, looking at her.

i'm good. So, anything interesting happen? ” she asked.

Nah. I cleaned DB yesterday, but that's about it. “ I lied. I didn't want her knowing. I couldn't trust her, just incase she was a changeling. I couldn't trust anyone except DB.

You do anything interesting yesterday? “ I asked.

Nope. Just organising the notes about you. “ she responded, as she pulled out a stack of paper.

Need anything checking? It would make the data authentic with the only actual human agreeing with it. “ I said. I was handed the stack as she pulled ink and quills out of nowhere.

Could you, please? I'll rewrite them properly o you find one or leave it if it's all well and good. It might even make it into a official text book. Maybe even viewed by proper scientist. “ Twilight said enthusiastically at the notice of this.

We went through the pages. Most were correct, except the ones that tried to explain my magic resistance/immunity. Those I had to explain to Twilight that the entire world I came from had no magic, but she insisted that a world without magic shouldn't exist at all. She finally, and begrudgingly, accepted that and we moved on.

It was mid-day before we stopped, having discussed and corrected all the notes. We even made new ones, such as our inner biology and history, although I did have to give the child friendly version for her. That was hard when trying to explain the Holocaust or the detonation of a nuclear bomb in populated places.

I got up, a few pops from the stiffened joints. Twilight physically cringed at this.

Urg. Why does your body do that? Its weird. “ she asked, give a look of disdain for the noise.

I don't know the specifics behind it, but it's caused when our joints arm cramped or remain the same way for too long. It's basically our joints popping back into a more comfortable position. It doesn't hurt either, even satisfying sometimes. “ I said. To prove a point, I intertwined my fingers and pushed out, bending them back enough for them to pop and click, but not enough to hurt at all.

Twilight cringed again at the sound, clearly not liking it.

Please don't that again. “ Twilight said.

Well, I've got to go. See you later or tomorrow. “ I said before heading to the door. I opened it and left.

It was around ten in the morning. On the streets of ponyville, ponies walked around, the town now in full swing. I walked off towards the apple farm to sharpen DB's arm blade and to do some exercise. If the changelings want to attack, then I wanted to be prepared for them. I then realized that I had nothing to sharpen it with.

I would have to look for a blacksmith before going to the farm. I turned around and walked back into town. I strolled up and down the various lanes and paths till I came across a place that looked like a blacksmith shop. It was on the outer parts of town, not surrounded by buildings.

I opened the door, which lead to a counter and a few seats. On the counter was an old style till and a little bell. I walked up and rang the bell. I soon heard commotion from a back area, and a pony at out.

Oh, hello. Your the human I've been hearing about, right? What can I do for you. “ said the stallion. He had an apron on and was covered with dust, smoke and sweat. It was obvious that he had not long done something.

Yeah, urm, do you have anything for sharpening blades? “ I asked. He looked curious.

Yep, sure do. Why do you need it? “ he asked.

Oh, I need to sharpen my mechs blade. He has one back at the barn but it's got blunt since it's not been used much. I just need to sharpen it...urr...what's your name? “ I said, looking at him curiously. I lied about it to not give away the fact the blade was in his arm, incase of changelings.

Names Furnace burn. If you just wait a bit, I'll get a grinding stone for you. “ Furnace said, then he walked off. I went and sat on a seat. A minute or two later, he came out with a white stone. I got up and walked back over to the till. The stone had a worn down side and had clearly seen use before.

I picked it up and weighted it. It was reasonable hefty and was too big to fit in my pockets, meaning I would have to carry it in my hand.

Thanks. I'll bring it back later today if that's OK. “ I said.

Alrighty then. Come back anytime. Don't brake it or your paying for it. “ he warned as I left.

I walked out into the street and on the path to the orchard. After a good half an hour stroll, I arrived at the barn. DB was crouched in low power mode. He soon got up upon my entrance, looking at me with his calm, blue monitor.

“Hello rider. How was your day? “ said the mech.

It was fine, nothing interesting. Found a blacksmith shop though and got a grinding stone to sharpen your blade. “ I said, raising the stone so he could see.

“Affirmative. Extending blade. “ he said. The blade extended from his right arm. The blade was around three quarters of my height in length. It was mostly straight till it got to the end, where it converges into a sharp point.

He lowered it so I could reach and I started to grind way. It took a good two hours to get the blade sharp and clean. The blade was sharp enough to cut wood with ease and it was so çlean, you could see you reflection in it.

DB retracted his newly sharpened blade. I took the grinding stone and looked at DB.

Mind giving me a ride there. It's on the outer parts of town so we should be able to get there without walking passed too many tight gaps. “ I said.

He picked me up put me on his head. I climbed over to the hatch and then down into the cockpit. We walked out of the farm and towards the town. As we neared, we turned and walked the outer parts of town. I soon saw and pointed out the blacksmith's shop. We walked towards it and I got out.

As I was put on the floor, I walked over to the entrance and stepped inside.

Hello. I'm here to return the grinding stone. “ I called out. Furnace burn trotted around the corner a second later.

Ah, thanks. “ he said, looking the stone over for any damage.

Alright, see ya then. “ I said as I left.

I left shop and walked over to DB, who was getting stares from children and glances from adults. I got in and we left for the barn. We took it slow, enjoying the quiet out in the empty land. It took us a while to get back. DB entered the barn and I got out onto my living space.

It was now ten pass one and we still had a lot of time to kill. I spent a good amount of time making a makeshift punching bag from a bunch hay and straw tied together with rope. I hung it near the beam near my bed. It hung there at around my height. It felt great to use one of these again, even if it wasn't like the ones at home.

Doing all of that had made time fly by as next time I knew, I was called for dinner and I went to bed not long after. DB was in low power mode, although he still kept him radar on just in case.

End of chapter 16

Author's Note:

This is the most text driven chapter I've done so far. Hopefully I can get to the action soon.
Oh well...

Hint: I missed it...

Note after publish: I tapped the pudlish button too soon. This was meant to come out in June. Oh well, enjoy.