• Published 30th Jan 2019
  • 19,319 Views, 1,328 Comments

Knowledge is Power - hydra30

  • ...
69
 1,328
 19,319

33 Bond

As soon as everyone was awake(no mornings in Apocrypha) Twilight explained what had happened regarding her and Fluttershy before they went to bed. As expected, they all were so relieved she had not been harmed, and grateful to Twilight for saving her feathers. Especially Rainbow Dash, of course.

It came to quite the surprise when Twilight announced they would not be starting the education immediately though.

She insisted she needed to do something with Fluttershy first, despite the pegasus insisting she was alright. But Twilight would not be swayed, so in the end, the others decided to do something else while Twilight was with Fluttershy. When she made up her mind, it was not worth trying to talk her out of it.

"This really isn't necessary, Twilight," said Fluttershy as she walked beside said unicorn, keeping pace as they walked down a hallway made of books. "I'm fine, really."

"I know, Fluttershy," said Twilight, flashing a gentle smile. "But I want to do this."

She had talked to Hermaeus Mora after breakfast, and after much persuasion, she convinced the Daedric Prince to cooperate.

"But if we do this, it means I'm holding us up," countered Fluttershy, slight concern in her voice."You said you can't leave until Durnehviir is free of the Ideal Masters, so the the longer we take even getting around to obtaining the power we need to assist you, the longer we will need to stay here."

"Believe it or not, I think this is absolutely critical to our endeavors," said Twilight happily.

"How?" Asked Fluttershy, growing slightly irritated. "You and me are pretty much lollygagging."

"That may be true," said Twilight, walking in front of Fluttershy and placing a hoof on her chest, halting her. "But, this is for you, Fluttershy. And not only because of what happened before, but also so you can give your best when we do start on the Thu'um."

"How is you doing something nice for me gonna help with that?" Asked Fluttershy, slightly doubtful.

"It's not so much me," explained Twilight, her smile turning slightly sad. "Fluttershy, for you to be able to do this, I think it's imperative that you have something positive you can relate to Apocrypha with. If you can have a good experience here, I believe it will make things so much easier for you. "

Fluttershy's mouth dropped as she heard what Twilight said. It was true, she was probably the least comfortable here compared to the others. She had never gone so long without being able to care for little creatures, and the only thing here in Apocrypha were books on animals

But that brought a question to her mind.

"What about the others?" Asked Fluttershy. " They may not have had such a horrible experience like we did last night, but what could they have seen in Apocrypha that would be considered good? Or you, for that matter?"

"You know I have always found solace around books, Fluttershy," said Twilight, shaking her head at the hoof pointed at her. "But Spike and Rarity got to experience the beauty of those gems, Applejack got to use her cider skills on something new, Rainbow got to explore ancient ruins like Daring Do, and Pinkie Pie got to bake new things, and she got to be the first pony... no person to ever throw a part in Apocrypha. Each of our friends, no matter how small, have experienced something enjoyable here in Apocrypha. That is way you need one of your own."

Fluttershy fell silent as she contemplated this. Now that she thought about it, she was the only one of them to not have found something good about this place. Oh, who was she kidding, she absolutely hated it here, what with the yellow green sky dotted with Hermaeus Mora's tendriled vortexes, and the churning black sea of ink.

Maybe Twilight was right...

"Come on, Fluttershy," said Twilight, lifting her friends head up with a hoof on her chin. "Serious part aside, let me give you an experience you will never forget."

Smiling, Fluttershy nodded in both acceptance and resignation, falling back into pace beside Twilight. Now that she knew that this was actually important to a degree, she couldn't help but grow a little excited. She knew Twilight knew what she likes, and wondered what it was she had planned.

Even thinking like this was already easing the stress she had been experiencing since arriving here.

She spotted an exit up ahead, and her excitement only increased as they stepped out into the open. But confusion began to take hold, for all that was out here was a cliff ledge overlooking the sea of ink and a tall pile of books out in the surf. It was not even as extravagant as the first view she had here, even if it this place was the last thing she would think was tranquil.

Hovering a little, Fluttershy looked around, trying to see a staircase or bridge that lead to somewhere else.

'RAAN MIR TAH'

The sudden shout made Fluttershy leap up with a startled squeak, trembling as she clung to the mountain side the hallway they had walked down exited out of.

"Oh, sorry about that, Fluttershy," said Twilight sheepishly, bending her forehoof in embarrassment.

"I don't think I will ever get used to that," said Fluttershy, gliding to the ground and standing next to her friend. "So what does that one do?"

"You'll see," replied Twilight with a mischievous smile.

That did nothing to lessen Fluttershy's anticipation. And not just the good kind, she had seen Twilight perform feats with the Thu'um that she had never even imagined possible in even her most elaborate dreams, and this one appeared to do something that was not immediately noticeable, just like when she called upon that storm. That thought actually made her nervous.

But her answer came when a low pitch call echoed past their ledge.

Looking forward, Fluttershy's jaw dropped as she beheld a massive figure striding out from behind the mass of books sitting a fair distance out, Twilight smiling slightly at her shock. The large creature waddled forward with four long spindly legs striding through the black sea, long enough to still allow the creature to hold its body above the churning liquid with enough length to reveal several feet of leg. Two more legs extended ahead, arched in the fashion of a praying mantis.

And that was not even getting to the body of the majestic juggernaut.

Thick dark brown armor covered every inch of its bulbous body, a slight indentation visible in the middle of its back. The head was featureless, no eyes or mouth to speak of, but somehow it just made sense for them not to be there. And it seemed to be doing just fine without them.

The hulking mass stopped at their ledge, tall enough for it to stand several feet above the two ponies heads, another low call echoing from it, but from where nopony knew.

"I...is that," stammered Fluttershy, tears of awe sliding down her face. "Is...that a Silt Strider!?"

"Yes," confirmed Twilight, nodding as she too shed a few emotional tear's. "I managed to convince Hermaeus Mora to bring one into Apocrypha for you."

"Twilight...I..." Fluttershy couldn't finish as her emotions overwhelmed her, gratitude mixing with her awe.

"Well, go on," said Twilight, nudging Fluttershy on the rear with her head. "Go say hi."

Steeling herself, Fluttershy nodded in understanding and spread her wings, flapping up to hover before the Silt Striders head.

"Hey there, big guy," she cooed gently, reaching out to scratch a hoof over the featureless head. "Aren't you so handsome."

The Silt Strider seemed to preen as Fluttershy's hoof made contact, before producing another low pitch call.

"Oh yes, I can understand the language of any creature," said Fluttershy, continuing to stroke the tough chitin. "And I regret to say, but you're the first Silt Strider I have ever talked to."

Another low wine sounded.

"Nice to meet you, Dusty, my names Fluttershy," said Fluttershy, settling in close to hug Dusty on the head.

Twilight sat down and watched the whole thing. Circumstances aside, she would never get used to how adorable it was when Fluttershy bonded with even the most foreboding of creature's. The Silt Strider was easily a dozen times her size, and yet she was getting along fine with it.

She let Fluttershy fawn over the Silt Strider for a while longer, watching as she fluttered over everything to take in the grandeur, before deciding to move forward.

"As fun as this looks, Dusty here is only the beginning," she said, gaining Fluttershy's attention again.

"You mean there's more?" Asked Fluttershy excitedly as Twilight teleported into the open spot on Dusty's back.

"Just you wait, Fluttershy," said Twilight, putting her hooves on the prongy parts sticking out of Dusty's shell. "I have a lot more to show you."

"Are you sure you should be doing that?" Asked Fluttershy, landing next to Twilight and watching as she fiddled with the prongs with unease. " What if you hurt Dusty?"

"Don't worry, Fluttershy," reassured Twilight as Dusty began heading out to sea with large strides. "This is what Silt Striders are used for on Nirn, it won't hurt him at all."

Dusty let out another groan, and Fluttershy giggled.

"What is so funny?" Asked Twilight as she stared at her friends mild histerics.

"Girl, Twilight, Dusty is a girl," replied Fluttershy, Twilight blushing and grinning as Dusty carried them around the bend.

---

Rarity, Spike, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie all sat in the library in the sleeping quarters, doing random things. Applejack and Pinkie Pie sat at a table with various sized glasses on it, taking careful measures of Sujamma and apple cider and combining them, marveling at how no matter how small the change in mixture, each produced different results. Rarity and Spike were adding new features to the dress made from the Ayleid artifacts, Spike using his fire breath to slightly change the color of the spare strips of fabric so Rarity could cut them into different shapes and sew them into the dress, making integrite patterns along the surface.

Rainbow Dash was miraculously reading a non Daring Do book.

"This Nerevarine guy was awesome," she said, nose in the book. "Did you know that this Dagoth Ur jerk actually cast a horrible storm on the people of Morrowind, a terrible sandstorm that caused anyone caught in it to go insane."

"Seriously?" Asked Applejack, looking up from her tinkering.

"Ya, it was called 'The Blight'," explained Rainbow, engrossed in her book.

"What's a 'Morrowind'," asked Spike as he handed Rarity another altered strip.

"The country all the things about the Nerevarine happened on," explained Rainbow. "The Dwemer called it Dwemereth, but it has changed names multiple times."

The others all voiced confirmation.

"I hope Fluttershy has fun with Twilight," said Rarity with concern as she wielded a sewing needle with magic. "Attacked by a robot, how horrible."

"Too bad I missed it," said Rainbow begrudgingly. "I would have made sure that tinman stayed broken this time."

"Oh, I wouldn't worry too much," said Pinkie, looking at a tiny glass of Sujamma with one eye squinted. "I'm sure Twilight is showing Fluttershy the best time of her life, one that will surely stir dormant emotions deep in both their hearts that will lead to a very awkward moment down the road."

They all stared at her for a second and were about to question, but in the end they decided it was just Pinkie being Pinkie.

---

"Aw, aren't you cute," said Fluttershy, fluttering down on to the small sand and stone island Dusty had brought them to and admiring the small insect like creature she had spotted.

"Squeak, squeak squeak?" Mumbled the scrib as Fluttershy approached.

"Oh, don't be afraid, little guy, I won't hurt you," said Fluttershy, gently picking the scrib up and holding it before her. "You're so adorable."

The scrib squeaked again.

"Oh, I am certain you 'will' be a big strong kwama warrior someday," reassured Fluttershy, stroking it's soft underbelly.

Then a shadow fell over Fluttershy from behind, and when she turned, she beheld a huge jellyfish like creature, dark brown in color, and with weaving tentacles extruding from the pulsating blue belly. Fluttershy gently placed the scrib on the ground(which scurried off with a noticeable blush) and fluttered up to put herself level with the floating creature's front. Her mouth opened and closed a few times as she tried to find her voice.

"H.. hello sir," greeted Fluttershy shyly.

The bobbing creature let off a few sounds akin to a balloon being squeezed.

"Hello Brutus, my name's Fluttershy," her demeanor strengthened as a conversation started. "Excuse me if this is rude but... you wouldn't happen to be a bull netch, would you?"

Another unusual sound reverberated from the hovering mass.

"Oh, how wonderful," squeed Fluttershy, hovering closer to the bull netch. "Look at you, so majestic. I have met many fascinating creatures in my life, but you are definitely one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen."

Brutus gurgled.

"Well, no, I haven't met your mate, I just met you a moment ago," said Fluttershy as Brutus continued to make noise. "Vanessa sounds lovely, I would love to meet her."

Behind Brutus, Fluttershy saw another jellyfish like creature come into view. It was much smaller than Brutus, with the bulbous blue sac that appeared to keep the creature's aloft located at the top rather then on the under side. Smiling, Fluttershy hovered over.

"Hello Vanessa," said Fluttershy in her little voice. "I take it you are a betty netch?

---

Twilight watched from Dusty as Fluttershy socialized with some of the animals from Nirn. It warmed her heart to see her so happy again, especially after seeing her in such a state as the night before. Such a traumatic experience that nopony should go through.

She only hoped that this would be enough to help.

Twilight smiled as the bull netch and Betty netch both nuzzled Fluttershy, the Pegasus laughing as she was surrounded on all sides. Then she leaped up onto the bull netch and hugged the top. This new position left Fluttershy with her hindquarters up in the air.

The image of Hermaeus Mora on her flank made it that much more noticeable, how it clashed with her butter yellow coat. It only made Twilight more regretful that she had dragged her friends into this, intentionally or not. Now they were all linked to Hermaeus Mora.
---

"Thank you, Twilight," said Fluttershy as she and Twilight made their way back to the living quarters. "I didn't realize how much I needed that."

Fluttershy had talked to the creature's from Nirn for hours, brightening up with each second. Unfortunately, time was limited for them in Apocrypha, so when Hermaeus Mora appeared and told them that he had best return them to their rightful place or they would likely suffer the effects of Apocrypha, Fluttershy had to say goodbye to her new friends. But she wasn't sad, they had a home back in Nirn.

It was where they belong.

"Think nothing of it, Fluttershy," said Twilight, walking slowly so Fluttershy could keep up. "I'm just glad you were able to do something you could enjoy."

But Fluttershy had no choice but to think about it. Her guilt for not listening to Twilight at the wedding rehersal only increased after being shown such kindness from her friend, and kindness was supposed to be her thing.

"Twilight," her voice was pitiful, and it made Twilight look at her with concern. "I... I'm sorry... I'm sorry for not believing you."

Twilight only stopped and put her hoof around her timid friends shoulder. "It's alright, Fluttershy. I'm just glad to have you back, to have all of you back."