• Published 30th Jan 2019
  • 19,317 Views, 1,328 Comments

Knowledge is Power - hydra30

  • ...
69
 1,328
 19,317

11 Best Served Cold

Chrysalis stared down the small lavender unicorn before her, the street around them deserted. The spells being thrown at her were unlike anything she had ever seen, and she had been having her minions gathering intel on Equestria for months. She could still feel her blood oozing through the stinging cracks in her carapace along her jawline

But she had come to far, was to close to her goal to back down now.

"YOU WON'T STOP ME!" she screamed hysterically, rearing up on her hind legs. " YOU WON'T STOP US."

She let out a barrage of small green orbs that flew at Twilight. Her largest attacks seemed to be insufficient against the small unicorn, but maybe a swifter attack will do the trick. She predicted that maybe she could land at least one hit with her smaller spell.

She was wrong.

A swirling mass of white light originated from Twilight's horn, surrounding around her body. Chrysalis's orbs of magic halted at the bizarre shield, hovering where they impacted. Twilight had an un-amused look in her eyes.

Chrysalis's jaw dropped as her own spells suddenly sped off the shield and towards her. She dodged the first couple, leaping to the side. She crouched low, the next couple of orbs sailing over her head. All she could do to avoid the rest was tilt her to the left, the last set of orbs singing her mane as they sailed passed.

Then she felt a small body tackle her.

Twilight and Chrysalis rolled over the ground, exchanging blows with their hooves. Chrysalis tried to bite at Twilight's face with her fangs, but she dodged, landing a blow on Chrysalis whenever she missed. Then Chrysalis found herself pinned to the ground by Twilight's hooves.

She gasped in fear when she saw Twilight deeply inhale:

'YOL TOOR SHUL'

Twilight teleported before her Shout engulfed the spot she had been standing in mere moments ago in flames. She watched carefully, expecting to see Chrysalis either burned to a crisp, or having survived somehow. She felt conflicted at those thoughts, having never want to harm anyone in her entire life until now.

But it would seem that it was not the time yet.

Twilight saw Chrysalis teleport a ways to her right, flashing a look of terror to the intense flames consuming the spot where she had recently been. She flashed another look of terror when she noticed that Twilight had spotted her, lifting up with a buzz of her wings and racing off down the street. Twilight snarled and gave chase, her mane and tail flowing in the gentle breeze as ran with all her speed.

" I will not let you get away," she said, following the Changeling Queen around a corner.

But the street ahead was completely deserted, the civilians having fled when they heard Twilight's explosion. Twilight was no fool, Chrysalis was most likely lying in wait for her. She slowly made her way forward, her eyes trailing for anything suspicious.

"This is a cowardly trick," Twilight said to herself. "But I should not be surprised."

Then the street lamp she just walked past was engulfed in green flames, Chrysalis emerging. She was lunging with her fore hooves outstretched, fanged mouth open with small ropes of saliva connecting her upper and lower fangs. She was too close, Twilight could not dodge her.

But she did not need to:

'TIID KLO UL'

Chrysalis froze in place, the breath leaving her nostrils billowing out with all the speed of toothpaste from a tube. Hermaeus Mora had said he could teach her how to manipulate time and he had kept his word. He may be a terrifying Daedric Prince but he was not a liar.

From Chrysalis's vantage point, Twilight was only a second from being impaled on her fangs when she suddenly flashed out of her reach. She had only just begun turning her head to see her opponent when Twilight zipped back in and tackled her again. Her movement was so fast she had no hope of dodging the blows thrown at her.

After a couple of seconds, Chrysalis finally regained enough mental strength to retaliate. She let out a hiss passed the flashing blows landing over her, her horn charging up with magic. She let off a burst, throwing Twilight off her at last.

This time she did get up and flee.

Twilight landed painfully on her back, having received her first good blow from her opponent. So Queen Chrysalis did have powerful magic, that blast had packed the force of a train. She shook her head, glaring as Chrysalis took off down the street again, getting up to pursue.

---

"Pharynx, what is taking so long?" asked Chrysalis into the hivemind.

"We are almost through, the shield is starting to crack," replied Pharynx, noticing his queens slightly on edge tone. "What is wrong, my Queen?"

"That little upstart of the sun princess has gone berserk," explained Chrysalis, trying to ignore the pain radiating from her bruises and the cracks in her carapace. "Something slipped through our intel, I can't fend her off!"

"WHAT?" Pharynx yelled, his voice full of shock. "But her majesty has been feeding..."

"I don't have time to explain," growled Chrysalis in frustration. "Come to your Queens aid as soon as...."

She was interrupted when a immense pain shot through her left hind leg.

---

Chrysalis lost her concentration on the hivemind, falling to the ground as her leg stiffened up, going freezing cold, with a severe pain radiating from above her knee. When she slid to a stop, she looked down to find a light blue shard the size of her horn lodged in her leg, the seething cold telling her it was ice. She stared at her injured leg, unable to comprehend what had happened.

"That was for Cadance!" Shouted Twilight as she teleported atop Queen Chrysalis and putting her front legs around her throat, making her gag as her air was cut off.

---

"MY QUEEN!" shouted Pharynx, having seen the whole thing happen below. "No!"

When his connection with Chrysalis was interrupted, she had happened to be below were he was pounding on the force field. He had watched as she dropped to the ground when a blue spike impacted her leg, he had watched as a purple unicorn teleported on top of her. He was watching as said unicorn began choking her.

"NOOOO!"

Baring his fangs, Pharynx bit into the force field surrounding Canterlot. Blood seeped out his gums as the force knocked his teeth slightly loose, but his fangs managed to pierce the shield. Thinking fast, Pharynx transformed into a gnat and sped through one of the holes he made with his fangs, changing back once he was through, racing to his queens side.

---

"You wil never have Equestria," sneered Twilight to the creature under her, who was gagging for breath. "You will never..."

She was interrupted when a smaller changeling tackled her, throwing her off of Chrysalis and over the ground. The changeling hissed in her face, the red fin atop its head flaring in rage. Twilight reacted by casting a spell, but all that happened was a bright flash of red light.

"How dare you," it hissed. " How dare you hurt my..."

Twilight was freed from the weight pinning her down when another changeling tackled the one on top of her. Getting up, Twilight saw her attacker get dragged off by a perfect copy of itself, what spell did she cast? But Twilight looked in time to see Chrysalis stand on three legs and transform into a blue unicorn mare, who was then swallowed up by a mob of fleeing ponies.

"NO!" She yelled, moving to pursue.

But then the reason for the panicking ponies became apparent as a huge cracking sound rent the air. Twilight looked up, her eyes bugging in terror as the shield around Canterlot shattered like glass, raining down in purple shards. Chrysalis's Changelings swooped down in great hordes, several shrouded in green flames that made them impact the ground like meteors.

Twilight had planned to eliminate Chrysalis before they broke through, but it would seem things didn't go the way she had hoped. She gasped when more than a few came right at her, green energy engulfing their forms. She instinctively threw up her purple force field, gritting her teeth as they impacted her on all sides.

Her shield started wavering almost instantly, cracking under the relentless assault. She peeked one eye open, her vision blurred by the sweat pouring down her face, but she still saw her situation was not good. Quickly, she started pondering her options.

'MUL QAH DIIV'

Her shield shattered, the charging Changelings making contact with a huge explosion, and when the dust cleared, Twilight was gone.

---

"How could she just leave us here like this?" Rarity whined, her mascara still streaking her cheeks. "Is she mad at us for choosing the fake Cadance over her?"

"I don't think so, Rares," said Applejack, looking at her fashionista friend. "She sounded sincere when she told us she wasn't mad."

"But how can she believe she can take on those...things without us?" Rainbow Dash asked, having given up trying to escape the goo gluing her to the floor. "We could have helped her."

"Did you see what she did?" Spike asked, looking out the huge hole Twilight had left out of not a minute ago. "She just tore apart this whole place by just shouting."

"What even was that?" Pinkie asked, also admiring the devastation. "I've never seen her do anything like that before."

"And what was up with her cutie mark?" Fluttershy asked, shivering as she remembered the eye adorning Twilight’s flank.

"This is my fault."

Everypony and dragon looked to Princess Celestia, who had remained silent till now.

"How could I not have noticed that I was hiding from my own responsibilities?" she whispered.

"Come now, Princess," said Applejack. "I am sure Twilight did not..."

"No Applejack, she was right," said the alabaster Alicorn that towered above all before her. "I was blind to my own shortcomings."

"Come on, don't say that," said Fluttershy reassuringly.

"But it is true, Fluttershy," said Celestia. "All this time, I believed what I was doing what was for the good of my pupil and Equestria. I did not even realize that I had been hiding from my own consciousness, till she said it out loud."

"What do you mean? " Pinkie asked. "What did Twilight mean by weighed down by guilt?"

"Part of what I just mentioned," replied Celestia. "After what I had to do to my sister, the guilt I felt was crippling. And all this time, I never noticed it has been holding me back."

"Well, now is as good a time as any to quash it," said Rainbow Dash, conviction in her eyes.

"Yeah," said Applejack. "Twilight left us like this to keep us out of danger, but she needs us, right now."

"But how...?"

Pinkie Pie was interrupted by a giant flash of blue light, Princess Luna appearing in the center of the room. She took in the devastation with a shocked glance, the wind coming in through the blown out wall ruffling her already waving mane. Then she turned around to behold the bound group.

"Sister?" she gasped, coming closer. "What has happened here?"

"Luna?" Celestia gasped. " Not that I'm not relieved to see you, but why are you awake? "

'YOL TOOR SHUL '

"That is why," replied Luna, pointing out to the sound that had echoed through Canterlot. "It or something similar echoed through the castle not long ago."

"You have been awake since then?" Celestia asked. " What took you so long to get here?"

"I was trying to assemble the guard," explained Luna, slight annoyance in her voice. "But I have been unable to find anypony from either of our guard."

---

Deep in Canterlot Castles impressive wine cellar, Twinkleshine, Minuet, and Lyra raced through the collection of barrels like a maze, laughing as each one was chased by a mob of guards.

"We got you now," said one guard part of the group chasing Minuet, spotting a dead end a head.

But he was wrong, for up a head Lyra and Twinkleshine ran passed them from the right, Minuet turning to join them, her mob crashing into the other two groups with a painful crunch.

---

"Changelings, here?" Luna gasped after hearing the story from her sister. "And young Twilight has engaged the queen?"

"Yes," said Celestia, the others knodding.

"And what of the bride and groom?" Luna asked, looking to the sleeping Cadance and unmoving Shining Armour.

" I don't know what has befell Cadance, but the Changeling Queen has drained Shining Armour of most of his love," explained Celestia.

"Then we must wake Cadance, " said Luna, walking up to the slumbering Princess and lifting her head into her forelegs. "Only she can replenish what has been stolen."

She placed her horn to Cadance's, her horn alight, till she drew back with a frightened gasp.

"What is it, sister?" Celestia asked, surprised at her sisters reaction. "Is it the Changeling Queens doing.?"

"No... no way," gasped Luna, looking down at Cadance in her grasp. "I have never seen a sleep like this, she is not even dreaming. "

All in the room gasped.

"What could do something like that?" Fluttershy asked, shivering.

"I do not know, " replied Luna, "I have never seen this before."

"Can you wake her?" Celestia asked eagerly.

"I will try," said Luna.

She placed her horn to Cadance's again, blue magic arced through it. Luna grit her teeth, her horn pulsating with her strained task. Then her horn let out a zap, separating her from Cadance.

"Are you ok, sister?" Celestia asked, concerned.

"Ugh," Cadance moaned, lifting her head up.

Then she gasped and stood up.

"Were am I?" She asked in a panic, spotting her fiancée across the room. "Shining Armour!"

She spread her wings and raced to him, embracing his neck.

"She did this to you," she sobbed, looking into his eyes as her horn releasing her trademark heart. "Come back to me, my love."

He blinked once, his eyes focusing.

"Ugh," moaned Shining Armour, looking to his bride who held him. "Is the wedding over?"

"We will explain while you release us," said Celestia, Cadance and Shining Armour gasping when they saw the state of the others, racing over to try breaking them loose, along with Princess Luna.

---

Twilight crashed through the roof of a house in Canterlot, into someone's bedroom, on her back on the floor. She sat up, looking herself over. She was covered completely in blue transparent scales, her shadow showing transparent orange horns above her head.

"I'm okay," said Twilight, relieved to find no wounds on her body.

Then her resolve surfaced again. Chrysalis had escaped her, but she will not rest till she found her. She was going to pay for what she had done.

"I will not let her escape," said Twilight sternly. "She will..."

Twilight turned to her left when what she was seeing out of the corner of her eye registered in her mind. In the room with her was a bat pegasus stallion, the people favoured by Princess Luna for her guard because of their ferocious appearance...had this one not been sitting at a makeup vanity, wearing a red dress, a blond wig, and had been applying red lipstick.

"Ugh," he stammered in a deep voice, blushing under his blush. "I can explain."

Author's Note:

what do you guys think, should changelings have red or green blood