• Published 25th Jan 2019
  • 1,298 Views, 27 Comments

Not Just Ponies: Dragons of Pennsylvania - Ardashir



Equestria's dragons are on Earth and want to celebrate humans chosing to join them. A party of dragons, frat boys, and angry movie-goers, what can go wrong?

  • ...
4
 27
 1,298

Fighting for Dragons

Bram's wishes for a nice quiet movie evaporated as soon as the film began. Questions began flying thick and fast from Lancer and Beryl, to the mounting annoyance of the rest of the audience.

“Why is the storm only making them wet and not us?”

“Why don't those monsters come out and attack everyone here? These humans look slow and fat enough that they can catch some.”

"Lancer!" Bram cringed as loud hisses to be silent came from the human moviegoers. She just looked at him innocently. "It's not real. It's just an illusion." Inspiration struck. "Like some ponies can do?"

"P-Pony magic?" Lancer gulped. Bram missed it and nodded. She turned back to watching the film. Peace was restored.

For roughly five minutes.

“Ugggh, do all humans grow as big as that and get a great big eye like Arimaspi? Hey, you won't, will you?" Lancer tapped Bram on the nose. "I mean you're kinda ugly now like all humans but you don't need to get worse.”

“Why is everyone in this movie so stupid?” Beryl stood and waved one claw at the screen before turning to the audience, "Hey, how did your species even survive if you're all as dumb as this?"

“Why don't you two dumb broads over there shut up?” Bram barely saw the yeller, a large shadow in the dim light. The audience began to murmur in support. “I came here to see the movie, not listen to you!”

Bram hoped Lancer and Beryl would take the hint. Instead Lancer shot out of her seat, propping herself up on her tail for extra height.

“Hey! You can see the movie as much as you like! Just watch it instead of us and our human!” Lancer slithered out into the aisle, her scutes rasping over the carpeting. Nearby members of the audience began hurriedly clearing their seats. They suddenly realized who or what they'd yelled at. “If you don't like it when we ask why something happens, don't listen! And what's a dumb broad anyway?”

Bram's prayer that the loudmouth would realize he was outclassed and shut up was in vain.

“You're a dumb broad, you scaly freak!" Loudmouth raised an extended middle finger in Lancer's direction. "Go back to Magic Horse Land and eat ponies or whatever it is you do!”

“Lancer! Miss!” Bram took the pink dragoness by one foreleg. “People usually watch movies in silence...”

He recoiled as she spun on him, eyes aglow and fangs gleaming in the dim light.

“Tell him that!” Lancer thrust her spear-like muzzle at her antagonist. “He called me bad names! At least, I think they're bad.”

“They are!” Idiot Loudmouth called again. Bram heard the man's friends urging him to sit down and shut his fool mouth before an angry dragon removed it for him. “The hell with you, that other snake-skin skank, and the scaly screwer with you!”

“Huh? What did you call me?” Beryl rose up snarling, smoke rising freely from her nostrils. She began cursing back at him, flying into the air above the audience to make her insults clear. As she spoke her translation spell seemed to start breaking own. Maybe whatever pony made it didn't think to cover the more inventive draconic invective. “Up your flank, you furless ape! Your sire was one of five different hoardless males!” Lancer cheered her on. Some of the audience joined in.

“You tell him, lady!”

“Shut that human bigot up, sister!”

“Ladies!” Bram looked from one snarling dragon to the other. In their seats he saw Tephra smirking and Cynthia just shaking her head. “The movie!”

“Shut up, punk!” Someone slurred drunkenly. “This is a better show!”

“Everyone, BE QUIET!” The speaker stood up. To his shock given the volume of the roar its owner proved to be human, though with a build that could politely be described as 'shaved bear'. “Most of us want to see the movie! So SIT DOWN and SHUT! UP!” He glared around. To Bram's shock, even Lancer and Beryl returned to their seats beside him. They were looking at the man who'd yelled with something like awe. The loudmouth shrank back into his chair.

He nearly relaxed until Lancer stuck her long neck and muzzle across his lap to Beryl.

“Did you hear how loud that human is, Beryl?” Lancer stage-hissed, badly. “Not like this one at all.” She thrust her thumb-claw at Bram.

“Now he ought to be a dragon,” Beryl looked dreamy, clasping her claws together and looking skywards. “What an alpha! When he spoke, everyone shut up! Now why can't you be like that?” Beryl sniffed at him. “Really, you act like a pony or something. You'll never be a dragon at this rate...”

The last thin thread of Bram's temper snapped.

“Both of you, QUIET!” At the renewed chorus of curses to be silent and let us watch the damned movie already, he snatched both of them by the muzzle and pulled their heads closer to his. In sheer desperation, he whispered, “Behave yourselves, sit quietly, or I'll, I'll...” He saw a fire extinguisher nearby and felt sudden inspiration. “I'll take that and put your fires out!”

At those words they froze.

“You couldn't,” Beryl gulped.

“You wouldn't,” Lancer whimpered. “Humans can, can do that?”

He smiled as cruelly as he could and made a snuffing motion with thumb and forefinger. “Like it was a candle.”

Beryl and Lancer scrunched themselves down into their chairs. He caught fearful glances by both of them as they brought their wings forward to half-hide their faces. He looked meaningfully sidelong at the extinguisher and felt a stab of remorse at their mutual shudder.

He sank back and sighed in relief. Maybe now there would be some quiet.

There was, but it only lasted as long as the end of the movie. Beryl and Lancer were recovered enough by then to cheer lustily along with the other audience members when the Cyclops took a spear directly in his eye and plunged to his death. Lancer seemed especially delighted when a pony watching the movie gagged and ran for the door, looking as green as their mane.

“Ha-ha!” She pointed her impressively barbed tail after the pony. “Puny ponies can't take a little blood!” She wheeled on Bram and grabbed his coat, tugging at it. “Hey, human! Do all movies end like that?”

“Tiamat, but I hope so!” Beryl said beside him. “I mean, normally I'd hate seeing something strong get defeated by weaklings, but right in the eye?” She clapped her hands, claws clacking together. They both grinned, all shining fangs. People in the nearby seats suddenly seemed to find a need to relocate. They left in a hurry.

“Not always,” Bram said. “In a lot of human movies no one dies at all.” Beryl and Lancer looked horribly disappointed. He quickly said, “But don't worry, lots of people die in this next one. It even has a dragon in it.” The ladies perked up at that.

The Magic Sword began to play across the screen. They cheered and whooped along with the audience. The two stiffened a bit at the sight of the magic in use. Bram remembered Volcano's few unguarded words on unicorn magic. They'd mostly been snarls about 'foul' and 'unnatural, but we're at peace now'. Dragons didn't seem to like anything that put 'lesser species' on an equal playing field.

Beryl and Lancer seemed to forget their qualms as the knights were brought on and horribly killed one after the other. They laughed in joy at the sight. Bram had to smile at it. Well, they're no more bloodthirsty than most human kids. Even Tephra was delighted, watching the movie instead of Cynthia, letting out cheers of approval as the knights met one brutal end after another.

Bram wondered how they'd take the end. He remembered what Beryl said, and what the pamphlets about draconic life and psychology had said, about their love of strength and cruel cunning. They were predators after all. But Beryl and Lancer seemed delighted until the moment when Basil Rathbone's evil wizard Lodac controlled his dragon to attack.

“I bet that seems pretty awful to you, right?” Bram whispered and turned to Lancer. “I mean, you've seen the real thing...” His voice trailed off. Lancer had her tail between her claws and was wringing it so badly it just looked painful. She shrank back in her seat, shivering. Beside him Beryl hissed so pitifully even he could tell she felt terror.

“Ladies?” He looked at them in confusion. What were they afraid of? This silly movie? He risked a glance over at Cynthia. She was leaning over against Tephra and – was she comforting him, like a child? He caught a few whispered words. “Tephra, it's okay. Nothing can hurt you here. You're a dragon, remember. Nothing can hurt a dragon.”

“Magic can,” that fearful hiss came to him from Lancer. Beryl chimed in. “Magic can kill dragons. Magic can control dragons and make them do what ponies want.” Her voice deepened, became a growl. Bram felt a sudden spike in the heat radiating from both their bodies. The last time he'd felt that from a dragon was when Cynthia was learning how to control her flames, right before she breathed flame. Lots of flame. All over his best carpet. Beryl snarled, the words barely understandable, “Pony magic is evil.”

“Beryl, listen,” he whispered desperately. “Remember. What you're seeing isn't real. No dragon is being hurt or controlled. You won't be hurt. Or you either Lancer,” he said to the pink dragoness. Little licks of flame were coming from her nostrils, a very bad sign. Their toe claws scratched at the floor, ripping the carpeting. Bram swallowed. “I won't let either of you be hurt, okay? And neither will Cynthia.” They fearfully looked over at her when he pointed. Tephra was sitting back up, Cynthia talking to him, low and reassuring. He thought of more to say. “You're dragons. Be strong in front of the New Whelp. Be strong in front of,” he saw wide-eyed ponies watching them, “in front of the ponies.”

That last got them. They brought their heads back up, necks extended, and watched the climax of the film. They shivered, but relaxed as soon as Lodac was slain. Moments later they cheered along with everyone else as the movie ended. As the lights rose they got up and waited for Cynthia and Tephra. The latter looked a little shaky, but not as badly as the ladies. Bram opened his mouth to ask what was wrong. Cynthia gave him a warning look and nodded her horned head at the exit. He took the hint and followed her out.

He noticed that as soon as they left Tephra and the two dragonesses began to swagger. They looked around, defiant, their horned crests rising aggressively and wings partly unfolded. They were trying to make themselves look bigger, Bram realized. Did the idea of magic being used to control dragons scare them that much?

“So!” Bram forced cheer into his voice. “What next, then? Back to the party?”

Bram pointed at the building, over on the other side of the lot. The night was much darker now; clouds had rolled in and seemed to be hanging low, cutting out the sight of the moon and stars. Lights hung above the cement pathway leading to it, their bulbs straining and weak. A little music still came from the New Whelp party, but no more winged forms wheeled and soared above it. He wondered if they were all inside drinking and hoped not. An army of two or three hundred drunken dragons might be a bit much even for the old Steel. The much shorter path lead off through the abandoned blast furnaces. In this darkness it looked about as inviting as a trip through a murderer's house.

“That sounds best to me,” Cynthia stretched and tugged at Tephra's claw in the direction of the long way around.

“We can use this way,” Bram stepped towards the well-lit path. “It looks safer --”

Claws dug into his shoulder and jerked him back. Tephra held him. Beryl and Lancer stood back by Cynthia, flanking her.

“No, we're going back that way,” his tail lashed towards the furnaces. The literal heat in his voice gave little room for argument. “It's shorter. Even if there's no light, we can see.” Tephra started forward. Rough, forced amusement filled his voice. Bram's resentment at this swaggering reptile hit the boiling point as Tephra thrust his chest out. “We'll all protect you, human. There's nothing in there for dragons to be afraid of.”

“Unless there's a pony wizard in there.” Bram choked as Tephra and the ladies spun on him. His sole thought was, Oh, you idiot.

It looked like Tephra agreed with him. His eyes were glowing, lit by the fires of his anger. Smoke began trickling anew from Tephra's nostrils, thick and dark. Well, Bram thought as Tephra snarled his way over to him, at least there's no fire in it. He still has his emotional self-control.

I think.

“Human,” Bram forced himself not to flinch as Tephra stuck his muzzle right in his face, crimson tongue flickering and diamond-crushing fangs bared, “dragons respect – what is is you humans call it? Guts, yes.” Tephra flexed his claws and growled, “Just don't push it too much.” His claw lowered and gave Bram's stomach a painful squeeze before the dragon stepped back.

“Understood,” Bram said. Cynthia's claw settled on his shoulder.

Tephra looked from his face to her claw and snorted out more smoke. “Let's get back. We're supposed to be watching you, after all. New Whelp.”

Tephra set off, almost stomping, the muscles working under his gray scales. Beryl and Lancer moved to either side of him and Cynthia.

“It's okay,” Cynthia said, looking at them both. “Bram will be fine with me.” She nodded at them. “Thank you, sisters.” The sleek dragonesses hurried after Tephra. Bram and Cynthia hurried to keep them in sight as they followed through the darkened Steel. Without the music it felt so quiet he could hear the light scraping of dragon claws on the old concrete walkway underfoot.

“Okay,” Bram whispered to Cynthia. “What was that all about?”

“What?” She looked at him, confusion in her golden eyes. “You don't know? Tephra told me. It's the same reason why so many of the Trueborn dragons are here. They were protecting you and the rest of us,” she shook her head, “sorry, I mean the New Whelps and humans present tonight.”

“Protecting us from what?” Bram looked around. Her words and all the shadows around were suddenly very unsettling. He began to remember those stories about robberies focusing on humans associating with dragons. “The HLF? The PER?”

“Something like that, I guess.” Cynthia's tail swept back and forth, the multi-spiked tip looking dangerous. “Volcano got a message from Ember to be careful because humans planning to become New Whelps were being attacked. That and all the robberies and vandalism of dragon potions for the Conversion Bureaus.”

“Really?” Bram frowned. He wondered if he'd heard stealthy footsteps behind him. “I thought that was a local thing.”

“No, according to what Volcano said it's been happening everywhere you have people becoming dragons.” Cynthia held one scaly arm in the electric light from overhead. Her scales glittered and shone like a river. “I'm glad I got the potion when I did. Things get slowed much more and with the speed of the Veil, Equestria may have to just start producing pony potions. Volcano says those are easier to make than dragon or griffon or any predator potions.” She frowned. “Well, he says that's what he's been told. I think he's suspicious if it's true. Something wrong?”

“No,” Bram said, but he wondered. He remembered Iron Wing's words, his hinting that many ponies wouldn't be happy to see millions of dragons growing into adulthood.

He stopped and looked back, frowning. More noise like footsteps. Cynthia looked at him in confusion. He shook his head and resumed walking. He needed to control his paranoia.

“So, what about you and Tephra?” Bram asked. “He looked and acted mighty interested back there.”

“Him?” Cynthia smiled and preened. “He's a pleasant young fellow by dragon standards. In the mood for a mate, I think, or maybe just a girlfriend, but I told him I'm not interested. Yet, anyway.” She gave Bram a meaningful look. “Also right now he's worried. He knows about the problems Volcano and Ember have to deal with and wants to help. And Volcano told him to keep an eye on you and me. He's Volcano's younger brother.”

“His clutchmate?”

Cynthia shook her head at him.

“No, that's when dragons are born from the same set of eggs. Volcano is seventy or eighty years older than Tephra. Anyway,” Cynthia motioned with her muzzle towards Tephra and the ladies. They walked together about twenty feet ahead and looked to be talking quietly. Bram felt surprise to realize that dragons had a setting lower than 'foghorn'. “Tephra was glad that you got Beryl and Lancer to calm down for the movie. He likes to pretend he's a jaded sophisticate, at least by dragon standards,” she laughed softly, “but he's apparently quite fond of human movies. But that bit about wizards rattled him.”

“I guessed as much. I suppose I'd better apologize...”

“No!” The word echoed from the furnaces, bounced against the back wall of the party building before them. Tephra and the ladies looked back quickly, heads craning on their long necks. Cynthia waved to them and gave Bram a squeeze only a little less rib-crushing than the ones he'd been getting earlier. As he winced she whispered, “That would make it worse. Remember those pamphlets, the parts about dragon psychology? Dragons won't admit to feeling fear or to looking weak in front of other dragons. Apologizing to Tephra, forgiving him, would be your way of saying you managed to frighten him,” she shook herself, from her crest down to her long tail, “and then you'd really insult him. In front of other dragons, no less. Volcano explained some of it to us. He'd have to avenge the insult – bully you into backing down before other dragons, and hurt you if you wouldn't. I doubt he'd like it but his pride wouldn't let him take any other option.”

Ahead of them the dragons walked back into the party. Volcano was nowhere to be seen. Probably still inside.

Beyond the glass doors Bram saw a small crowd of dragons around the barbecue 'pit'. Tephra stood beside the ladies, and all three seemed to be bragging to other dragons about the movie. Some of the dragons listened, spellbound. Others made hungry sidelong glances at the roasting meat. The few ponies present were staying far away from it. Everything was restored to peace and quiet.

He held the door to let Cynthia inside.

Feet pounded the concrete behind him.

“Armageddon! Death to the invading beasts and species traitors!”

“Cynthia, run!” Bram tried to do two things at once: push Cynthia inside to safety while slamming the door shut behind him.

She yelped in surprise and froze.

Tephra and the other dragons stared in shock. Panic thickened his voice. “HLF! Grab her and run!”

Tephra almost teleported to his side. Gray scaly arms wrapped around Cynthia and yanked her inside. With her gone Bram fell against the door. He hurried to yank it shut – but not before a backpack full of something sailed past him and into the middle of the barbecue fire.

Oh, Lord, please Lord no, don't let that be what it is.

Even as the door slammed shut he heard the explosions begin.

He turned just in time for the runner to collide with him. Bram caught glimpses: a balaclava-covered face that looked oddly familiar, a jacket with a crude image of a human fist over the Earth. Two others were behind him, masked, the same jackets, both of them raising something that glistened like metal in the light spilling from inside. Panic clawed at his mind.

I'm gonna die Cynthia and Volcano and everyone is gonna die but I gotta keep them out so someone can get away.

“Dammit!” Balaclava tried to shove him out of the way. His two friends with whatever they held danced around behind him, trying to line up targets. “We can't get the shot with you in the way! Move, dumbass!”

Bram didn't even think. He just swung his head forward. It collided with an exceptionally hard skull. Balaclava howled, grabbed and dragged him back from the door. The other two ran past and pointed whatever they held inside. Balaclava yelled as Bram desperately grappled with him.

More explosions inside, oddly high pitched, a rapid series of sharp pop-pop-pops rather than the loud flat bang he expected. They were joined by panicked whinnies, human cries of fear, and angry bellowing roars.

“Get the shot!” Balaclava yanked Bram's arm up behind his back in a hammerlock. Bram fought uselessly to get free as he yelled, “Come on, guys, we put a lot of work into this!”

“Hah!” One of the other two hopped around, something raised to his eye and pointed through the glass. A camera? “This is great! I think those lizards are crapping themselves!”

“You guys will be crap when the cops get you!” Bram tried to wrench free. His arm got jammed even higher. Between the pain from that and his still ringing head he fought not to vomit. The explosions inside seemed to be dying off, but the screams and yells were as loud as ever. Bram hated just how good his imagination was as his mind conjured images of the carnage inside. Where were the cops and guards?

“Murderers!”

“What?” Balaclava and his pals laughed. The two by the door stepped back, backslapping each other as they doubled up. “We didn't kill anyone, dumbass...”

“No, but WE WILL!”

The glass and steel of the door and surrounding wall crashed outwards. Volcano surged out with a roar on all fours. Bram caught sight of Tephra behind him, Beryl and Lancer and other Trueborn and New Whelps, what looked like a score or more. The sound of draconic rage filled the air as they headed straight for Balaclava and his pals, eyes blazing and fire-streaked smoke a halo around their heads.

The two with the cameras showed fine instincts for survival. They turned and ran like rabbits from the angry mob of dragons. Not that it did any good. Half a dozen sets of wings opened as their owners leaped into the air. The cameramen stopped just in time to prevent furious dragons from landing on their heads as they dropped to earth before them. They stumbled backwards in panic. The dragons snapped at them and sent blasts of fire over their heads. The panicked pair didn't even notice where they were going until they backed into snarling, scaled forms who grabbed them by the necks. At that point they both wisely froze and didn't move a muscle.

Bram wished his captor had as much sense. Instead he kept the hammerlock on him as he backed away into the parking lot. With his free hand he began reaching into a pocket.

Balaclava's teeth chattered as Volcano, still on all fours, eyes locked on his face, spoke coldly.

“Human,” Volcano said in an anger-thickened voice, “I know your smell. You are the young fools who tried to force your way inside earlier. I sent you away.” He stomped closer, his claws ripping at the tarmac underfoot, tearing out chunks. Tephra stayed close as did Beryl and Lancer, coming on at Bram and Balaclava, all fire and fangs and claws. “You come back dressed as enemies, threw those firecrackers into our fire, pretended to seek our lives and the lives of those under our care.”

Bram felt his eyes tearing up at the hot sulfur blasting into his face. The reek of it sickened him. He tried to get Volcano's attention about whatever Balaclava was pulling out from his jacket. The dragon ignored him completely.

Volcano spread his wings wide and hissed, “You will regret what you have done, but not for very long.”

He rose on his hind legs, mouth opened to breathe – and Balaclava yanked a canister of bear mace out of his jacket pocket and sent a solid stream of it right into Volcano's eyes.

Volcano dropped with a howl, clawing at his face.

Tephra looked at his big brother and shrieked. It turned into a roar when he swung his gaze back to Balaclava. Balaclava aimed the canister at him.

Bram threw himself back. Balaclava fell backwards with a curse, Bram on top of him. He bit down on a yell at the fire in his twisted arm. The canister rolled away across the lot. Bram and Balaclava both went after it.

Only to freeze when a clawed foot kicked it away, followed by a blast of fire that incinerated it.

Bram and Balaclava both looked up. Tephra glared at them, his eyes almost literally ablaze.

“Human,” he hissed. “You made a joke of threatening our lives. You blinded my brother.”

His tail lashed in Volcano's direction. The injured dragon swung his head back and forth, clawing at his face. The other dragons stayed clear of him. In his agonized state Volcano might do anything. Tephra bent down. The anger Bram saw before in Volcano's eyes looked like mild dislike beside the killing fury he saw now.

“Can you give me a reason to not kill you?”

“Tephra,” Bram started. He didn't flinch, somehow, when Tephra snapped at him, the fangs closing just short of his face. Somehow he found the courage he needed. “Tephra, Volcano isn't blind, yet, but if he keeps worrying at his eyes he will be. I know how to help him, but you have to let me get up and go inside.” Tephra looked slightly less angry. Bram added, “The things I need to help him are inside.”

“Why should I trust --” Tephra began, but stopped at Volcano's voice from behind.

“Tephra, little brother, let him go.” Volcano swung his head in the other dragon's direction. Pain and fury thrummed through his voice but he had regained his usual control. “I know his voice. Bram would not be a part of something this shameful...”

At least someone trusts me, Bram thought.

“He knows I would rip him asunder, and fears too much for that.”

Maybe not.

Volcano made a come-here gesture. Bram went to him. Tephra followed close behind. Behind him another dragon kept Balaclava pinned with a clawed foot on their chest.

“Human, you say you can help me. Do so.” He raised his head in the direction of the three pranksters. Bram could hear their teeth chattering from here. “We will deal with these --” The translation spell apparently couldn't handle the next few words. They sounded like a bass hiss followed by a short grunting roar. Bram doubted it was complimentary.

“I'll go, but one condition,” Bram did flinch then as Volcano snapped in anger, fangs coming together like thresher blades just short of him. “You don't hurt those three as long as they don't do anything.”

Tephra snarled. “They hurt my – our people, they terrified yours who wished to support the New Whelps, why should I let them walk away whole?” As he spoke the dragons holding the three shook them like sheets hung in a high wind. The trio whimpered in panic. “In the Dragonlands they'd be beaten to a pulp for this.”

Bram took a deep breath, stepped right into Tephra's face, and yelled so loudly the dragon reared back.

“Because this ISN'T the Dragonlands! It's Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, the USA, and here you can't kill or maim people over pranks,” he thought, no matter how much you might wish otherwise, “and if you do, you get exiled!” He wondered if the dragons really would be punished for this. He doubted Ember would be heartbroken over the fate of dragon-mocking fools. “You're here to look good before us and Equestria. Hurting those clowns, no matter how much they deserve it, won't help! Now please let me go and get what I need to help your brother.”

Tephra looked ready to argue but fell silent when Volcano spoke.

“Little brother,” he said, turning his still streaming eyes in Tephra's direction. His belly scutes and claws both scraped on the concrete as he moved a few steps closer. The pranksters whimpered but fell silent as draconic claws tightened on their throats. “Little brother, remember, Dragon Lord Ember sent us here because she trusts us to behave as the ponies,” he almost spat, “wish us to. So we will. We keep our promises. We are dragons.” Pain broke through his voice. “Now please let Bram go and get what will help me.”

Bram hurried inside. Two dozen angry dragons waited behind him along with three probably dead idiots if he couldn't find what he needed.

Within the doors the Steel Stacks was reclaiming some sanity. The barbecue was overturned. Employees were hurriedly dousing it with fire extinguishers. Small scattered bits of charcoal lay everywhere, being either stomped on or doused with water from handy pitchers. No one, human or dragon or pony, looked hurt. A glance showed neither Cynthia or Iron Wing were present. Some of the New Whelps as well as a few of the humans were talking over by the wall, and he couldn't tell who was angrier. They seemed more intent on lawsuits than on yanking off limbs, thankfully. One noticed him and stepped up. It was Blue Scales, the coffee-drinking Vietnam Vet dragon from that morning.

“How's Volcano? Or those idiots that tossed the fireworks in here?” He looked past Bram. “I heard some yelling out there.”

“Everything's fine,” Bram hoped his words were no lie. “They sprayed some bear mace in Volcano's eyes. He and the other Trueborns wanted to maim those three guys --”

“They should,” Blue Scales said, an ugly light in his eyes. He raised one hand and flexed, sending claws splaying out. "Damn idiots."

“But they calmed down and I'm looking for some milk to wash Volcano's eyes out with.”

Blue Scales made himself useful. He walked over to a nearby table, one of the few still standing, and picked up a pitcher of milk and some cloth napkins.

“Thanks.” Bram looked around. “Where are the cops? Or the guards, or the Bureau security?”

“Those wastes of skin?” Blue grunted his anger. He pointed at a pair of doors leading back into the employee's area. “Iron Wing led another pony , one of those horned ones, back there as soon as the fireworks went off. Your girlfriend Cynthia --”

“She's not my girlfriend!” Blue rolled his eyes in a Yeah, right. Bram colored.

“Whatever she is, she went back there too. She was yelling for the featherduster to get out here. And I suspect here are Pennsylvania's finest,” he snapped as the opposite doors burst open. The police barreled through, obviously expecting Lord-knew-what. A team of paramedics came right behind them. Both stopped when they saw the mess. Several New Whelps, backed up by their human relatives, immediately descended on them with demands that the pranksters be arrested right now, damn it, and why weren't these cops earning the salaries their taxes paid for? The officers promptly started trying to answer everyone's complaint and clear the room at the same time.

“Better make sure they know what's going on,” Blue grunted as he headed for the circle of angry dragons, ponies, and humans around confused police officers and EMTs.

“I'm sure they were lost without you,” Bram muttered as he soaked the napkins and hurried outside. It was almost a relief to leave the lunacy inside and return to the Equestrian dragons and their increasingly terrified prisoners. Widening wet stains showed at the crotches of the pranksters' baggy pants showed just how terrified. The dragons holding them were growling. They laid their bared fangs against the pranksters' necks, and were snorting out little bursts of flame amid their smoke. Bram heaved a sigh of relief that the idiots were still in one piece. He approached Volcano, still blinking slime and tears from his eyes and hissing in pain and anger. Stopping clear of him in case of any sudden moves, he said, “I have the milk here, Volcano.”

“Then use it, human.” That large head swung in Bram's direction and lowered to his face. The sulfur reeked less intensely than before, but he wrinkled his nose at it. He began to sweat. Ordinary teenage dragons felt warm when you stood beside them. Volcano was more like an old blast furnace, almost uncomfortably hot. “Clean my eyes.”

Bram did so, gently wiping and cleaning. When the napkins were useless he started pouring milk right from the pitcher into Volcano's eyes. Tephra watched suspiciously as he worked but Volcano relaxed almost immediately.

“You kept your word, so will we.” Volcano nodded at the other dragons. They relaxed their grip on the three idiots, slightly, but didn't let them go.

“Where are those worthless pony guards,” Volcano growled as he was cleaned. He shifted, tail sweeping over the ground behind him. “Did they go to protect the dragon potions and the scrolls?”

“What?” Bram stepped back to re-soak the napkins. That bear mace left his nose burning just from the smell, even with the milk diluting it. He didn't want to know what Volcano was feeling. “What dragon potions? Don't you mean the transformation scrolls? Weren't you supposed to leave the potions behind at the clinic?”

“Leave them?” Volcano shook his head in contempt. “We have lost three batches of the potion to those robbers in recent weeks. I thought it better to keep them close by and safe. The ponies are not as concerned as they pretend,” he sniffed. “They would not be bothered if there were fewer dragons than we were promised. I know that pegasus Iron Wing does not trust us. And how do you know about the scrolls – ah. Cynthia. Of course. She knows where I put the potions. We kept it a secret...”

“You told every New Whelp and me, big brother,” Tephra rolled his eyes at Volcano's angry snort. “You're surprised the humans all knew about it?”

“I hoped the Whelps could keep a secret,” he snapped back. Some of the assembled dragons looked ashamed. Volcano snarled as Bram kept carefully cleaning his eyes. “At least the potions are a secret. Were. None but you and I knew of them. Oh, and the pony guards and clinic staff but of course they needed to know why I was taking them. Iron Wing looked pleased – What is wrong with you, Bram?” He reared back, shaking his head where Bram had poured most of the pitcher's remaining contents into one eye. “I need not that much!”

Bram didn't hear Volcano He was thinking of something. Those robberies at the clinics, for the gemstones New Whelps needed to feed on... The vandalism afterwards, of dragon potions first and foremost... No one caught, they got in every time, and Iron Wing telling him that if he were wise he wouldn't want to see any more dragons.

And how did those three idiots get in the Stacks without being caught by guards ordered to watch for just such a thing?

“Bram? Bram!” Volcano glared. Tephra stepped close, showing fang. He stopped at a glare from his brother. Volcano turned back to Bram with no friendly look. “What is wrong?”

Bram turned and thrust the napkins and pitcher into the surprised Tephra's claws. “Here, help your brother. Clean gently, understood? Not like you were clawing through rocks. Volcano,” he turned to the confused dragon, “I need to ask these three a question.”

Volcano and the other dragons looked on wondering as he went to the three frat boys. Lancer and Beryl held them and they looked at him in confusion as he spoke to the leader in his now tattered HLF T-shirt.

“Who let you in for this?” Bram demanded, pointing at the main gate. “You were chased out. Those guards would have been told not to let you back inside, right?” He looked at Volcano for confirmation. The big dragon nodded slowly. He turned back to the trio who by now seemed as curious as the dragons to what he was about. “I don't think you sneaked over the fence with that gear,” he tapped the camera one prankster still had. “So who was it?”

“Aw, man, how should I know?” The leader shook his head. “One of the horses with wings, his one leg was all fugly from being burned or something – hey!” Bram turned and hurried back to Volcano. “Get these lizards to let me go! I get locked up for this, my Dad's gonna be pissed!”

Bram ignored him, speaking to Volcano as he hurried past. “I think something may be happening inside with the potions. Besides paramedics and cops are here,” and they were indeed coming through the hole Volcano had made. The paramedics had a stretcher with them. They stopped at the sight of Volcano. He in turn gave them a simple deadpan look. They set it aside and hurried to him with medical bags. The officers, accompanied by some of the clinic ponies, went to the three whimpering pranksters. They looked highly pleased to be getting taken in by human cops rather than devoured by dragons.

“Human,” Volcano called after him. “Bram?”

“I've got to check on Cynthia,” Bram called back and hustled to get back inside. “Wait! The potions. They're in a back room, right here in the Stacks?” Volcano nodded again, and his eyes widened. He hissed at the renewed pain. One of the paramedics demanded he lower his head so they could help him. Volcano just pointed after Bram and said something to Tephra.

Bram turned and hurried inside. He looked around. Everyone seemed busy with no time for him. Where would those potions be? Somewhere safe but where they wouldn't be forgotten, and it'd help if they were refrigerated.

Back through the swinging doors into the employee area. The staff was either trying to help with the mayhem outside or they'd made themselves scarce. He listened carefully. Voices were coming from down the hall beyond another pair of doors. Iron Wing and Cynthia, loud and angry.

Bram looked around for something, anything, to use if he needed it. A somehow untouched fire extinguisher hung nearby. He hesitated. From down the hall behind a mostly-closed door came an angry draconic snarl. It suddenly became a pained yelp. He snatched it and ran.

“I told you before, lizard,” Iron Wing's voice came from behind the door. Bram slowed as he approached. “Stay out of this and you can go back to that human fool of yours. At least until you eat him or throw him out of his house when you make it your lair. I know your kind. Now hand those dragon potions and scrolls over.”

Cynthia spoke, pain in her voice like the last few times he'd spoken to her at Topton before her conversion. “You come and take them.”

Bram peeked and saw nothing good.

Iron Wing and the unicorn he'd spoken to earlier, with a cutie mark of a sword over a shield, stood facing the far corner. The unicorn was in Bureau livery like Iron Wing. His horn glowed a cold blue as it pointed right at her.

Cynthia faced them. The potions sat inside the open fridge behind her. On the floor under her feet were half a dozen rolls of vellum, the polymorph scrolls. Her wings were outspread. She had her claws bared out in front of her. Scorch marks showed in one or two places on her scales. She snarled again, “Get out of here! You backstabber. You're the one who's been ruining the dragon potions. Why?”

“Because there's enough of you monsters in Equestria, that's why!” Iron Wing stomped forward, limping lightly on his left foreleg. His wing-blade cutie mark showed like a pale scar against his flank. The unicorn silently kept his eyes and horn locked on Cynthia like he covered her with a gun. Iron Wing stomped again, drawing her attention. “The Princesses are crazy to think Equestria, that anyplace, can absorb one hundred or two hundred million dragons! They've spent too much time listening to that scheming barbarian Ember and Princess Twilight's pet lizard; they think dragons can change overnight.”

Bram saw how Cynthia paid attention to Iron Wing. As she did, the unicorn began slipping to the side. He looked to be lining up a shot. Bram thought desperately. He didn't stand a chance against two experienced fighters, especially when they had magic.

Inside the room Iron Wing's gaze flickered sidelong at his partner. He said, “Dragons are murdering, thieving savages, always have been, always will be. You humans should have become ponies or griffons or, Tartarus, even Diamond Dogs would be better! But if no one else is willing to do what needs to be done then --”

Cynthia opened her mouth to breathe fire. Iron Wing snorted. The unicorn's horn glowed and a blue force field enveloped her muzzle and limbs. Dragonfire splashed against it uselessly. Fury chased itself in her eyes as she strove against it to no avail.

“I can still put a spellbolt in her if you like,” the unicorn said. Iron Wing considered and nodded.

Bram got ready to rush in. Try to hit the unicorn over the head first and hope Iron Wing didn't simply turn and kick his chest in...

Then everyone froze as a draconic yell came down the hallway.

“Bram-human! Where the Tartarus are you!” Bram didn't dare risk a glance as Tephra called again, his voice echoing from the walls. “My brother thinks something is happening --”

Iron Wing opened his mouth and snapped a command even as Bram yelled.

“Tephra, get here, right now! Iron Wing's going to kill Cynthia!”

Several things happened at once. Iron Wing reared and whinnied. Cynthia's muscles surged under her scaly skin as the confining spell stressed, making a hissing noise. The unicorn got ready to fire another spell, their horn shining painfully bright like a laser.

Bram yelled: “Hey, horn-head!”

And tossed the extinguisher right at the unicorn as they wheeled to stare at him.

The unicorn neighed in shock and fired off the spellbolt, hitting the extinguisher.

“Bram? What are you doing here --”

“Human! What in --”

The extinguisher exploded and foam flew everywhere. Cut off neighs and a shocked roar filled the air as the foam flew into the faces of dragon and ponies.

“No time, Tephra!” Bram ran to Cynthia.

“Let's get out of here!” He snatched at her claw. “The cops are just outside!”

“No!” She jerked her claw back, stepped back against the fridge. “If these go no one else might be able to become a dragon for months, maybe years, and that might be too long!”

“That's the idea!”

Bram dropped into a crouch to catch Iron Wing as he charged. It did no good. Iron Wing weighed almost twice as much as him and was far stronger. Bram slammed back into something unyielding. Someone screamed in pain. A second later Bram knew it was him.

Iron Wing reared over him, forehooves ready to trample. The unicorn turned to fire at him but went down with a wild whinny as Tephra and Cynthia both piled into him with angry roars.

“Fool human!” Iron Wing spat, ears pinned and snorting. “I'm doing this for you too --”

Bram drove his feet up into his barrel. The breath ran out of Iron Wing with a grunt and he fell forward.

Right atop him.

Iron Wing showed Bram how he'd gotten his name as one iron-hard hoof connected with his head. Bram felt the whole world come crashing down on him with a demand of, Fall unconscious!

He'd had a very full night. He took the advice.

# # #

Bram moaned through a very great amount of pain as he felt something warm and comforting spread through his whole body. Especially his head.

“He'll be okay?” A familiar yet slightly raspy female voice asked. Another familiar, deeper and more masculine raspy voice spoke up.

“He will. I trust ponies little, especially now,” a rumbling growl like some gator in a swamp, “but the healers at the clinic are trustworthy.”

“Thank you, Instructor Volcano,” a third voice said. Bram began opening his eyes as the warmth drove the last of the pain and confusion from his mind and saw a dark green unicorn mare stepping back. As she turned he saw the caduceus on her flank. “He should be well. His injuries were minor.” She paused in her leaving. “Volcano. I, all of us, want to apologize for what Iron Wing and his ponies did. We did not know how deep his anger at dragons ran.”

“What he did is done,” that deep voice rumbled like it rose from a pit. “Let it stay done with his capture. Thank you, Healing Hoof, for aiding him and for healing my eyes.” She nodded and left.

Black scales and golden horns and wings stooped over him. Cynthia looked down at him, her eyes full of worry. She still wore the remains of her 'dragon cavewoman' outfit.

“Cynthia,” he groaned. “Did Iron Wing kill us both? Is this Heaven?” She snorted and tweaked his nose.

Something not quite soft enough was beneath him, a stretcher. He began sitting up. Cynthia stepped back and a massive and gruesome scaly muzzle came into sight. A large claw set itself gently against his chest. The eyes looked puffy and bloodshot.

“Okay, maybe not Heaven after all.”

“It is good to see you too, Bram,” Volcano said dryly. He nodded. “Your human healers said you should not move very much. I am aiding them.”

Bram remembered what had happened. He would have jumped up if not for that claw gently pressing him down.

“The potions --”

Volcano smiled. Politely, no fangs visible.

“The dragon potions were saved because of Cynthia and you,” Bram looked to the side. Cynthia was in the midst of a group of enthusiastic teen dragons, all congratulating her. Tephra embraced her. Or tried to; she slipped from his clutch with a smile. Disappointment flashed across his gray-scaled muzzle before he laughed. The Trueborns turned away as Cynthia walked back over to stand by Bram. She gave his hand a squeeze.

“Tephra aided as well. Iron Wing and the unicorn will both be taken back to Equestria for punishment, or so the ponies say. We will see what they do.” Volcano's sulfur-scented snarl made it obvious that whatever their punishment was, he thought it'd be too lenient.

“So everything went well?” Bram did sit up now. His head swam, but only a little. More like paddling in the kiddie pool.

“You aided us.” Volcano looked back at Bram. “Iron Wing was behind the robberies. He hired thieves to rob the other clinics or their shipments when he could make sure no dragons would be around. He worked with some ponies,” a fearsome rising snarl as those eyes darkened, “maybe even a few other Equestrian creatures who were worried about dragonkind expanding so much.” He stepped back, moving ponderously. “Whatever else there is, I will let Cynthia tell you. I must inform Dragon Lord Ember of this and warn the other clinics to check their ponies for such as Iron Wing.” He sighed and drooped in utterly human fashion. “I will be very, very busy. Bram, fare you well, and my thanks. Cynthia, please remember to give Bram what we spoke of.” He turned and strode away, crouched, and with a mighty leap surged into the air. Bram closed his eyes against the wing-made wind whipping down. When he looked again Volcano was high above and flying towards Allentown and the Clinic.

The Trueborns looked after him and got ready to leave. They began taking off, except for three that walked over to him and Cynthia.

“Human,” Tephra checked himself, “Bram, thanks. You answered a lot of our questions tonight.”

“Mostly it was luck,” Bram protested blearily. Tephra cut him off.

“It's no less an accomplishment for that.” He tapped the human on his aching head. Bram winced. Tephra grinned wickedly. “And without strength and guts, what use is luck?” He turned to Cynthia and smiled more genuinely. “And if you ever want to know what a real dragon is like --”

“I'll ask Volcano,” Cynthia snarked back. Tephra mock-growled, but as he turned to go, Bram caught how his spiked tail wrapped briefly around Cynthia's own. Hers curled back as she smiled. He was in the air and flying after his brother a moment later.

Bram sighed – and choked as two familiar powerful sets of arms wrapped around him. He tried to breath as he felt his ribs starting to cave in.

“Thanks for the movie, Bram,” Beryl tousled his hair before her claw moved to lightly clasp his shoulder. Which meant it felt like being squeezed by a gorilla rather than a hydraulic press. “Er, can we see another one, sometime? Now that we know what to expect?”

“You were as brave as a dragon! Almost,” Lancer bobbed up beside him, still sitting back on her tail. She set her muzzle by his cheek, her crimson gaze looking him right in his eye. “I hope you become one soon! Don't die with the Veil like Cynthia said you want to, I like you too much!”

“Ladies, as you wish,” Bram managed to choke out. They looked delighted, and then with a rush of wings they were flying after the other dragons.

Moving carefully, Bram finally sat up and looked around at the Steel Stacks parking lot. Cynthia set one scaly arm under his, helping him. The EMTs seemed to be busy alongside the clinic staff medic ponies. Thankfully nothing looked serious. He set his arm over her shoulders and gave a whew of relief.

“I imagine the cops will want to speak with us, huh?”

“Probably,” Cynthia shook her head. He ducked his head to avoid the horns. “They spoke with Volcano and Tephra and they want to be talking with the other dragons. Those morons with the firecrackers caused a lot of trouble here, and Iron Wing was worse.” She looked down and traced one set of toe-claws against the concrete. Little bits of it cracked away from them. “The weirdest past is I can't fully blame him. I thought this,” she swept her claw to take in her muzzle, gold horns, gold-membrane wings, curvy black scaled body, long muscular tail, “was just going to be, well, fun. I'd be strong and healthy again. I'd be able to fly, to bounce bullets, be strong as ten men...”

“Faster than a speeding bullet,” Bram smiled as she did. “Stronger than a locomotive.”

“Heh. Yeah,” Cynthia looked so tired. He remembered that she was, after all, over eighty years old. Even if that meant something else for a dragon. “I didn't think what it's going to all mean in a century or more. I always used to laugh at those stories about super-races enslaving everyone else. But I'm a dragon now,” she stretched one scaly arm. “We actually can do that if there are millions of us. If we're still here...”

“You'll be here,” Bram said. She looked up, ready to argue. He held up a hand. “I think I'm over just waiting for the Veil. Few things fire your love of life more than being nearly killed. But maybe I won't become a dragon,” Bram looked skywards and rubbed his chin. “Maybe I'll be a griffon, or a Diamond Dog or even Earth pony. Someone has to make sure all you firedrakes will have gems to eat.”

He stopped as Cynthia waved one of the vellum scrolls under his eyes.

“Maybe this will help you decide. Volcano said to leave it with you.” She unrolled it. He saw the elegant curves and loops of pony horn-writing and under them, something akin to runes, all sharp lines. She answered his unspoken question. “It's one of the dragon-transformation scrolls. They were going to be handed out but, er, with all the excitement? Volcano, and me, we want you to know what it'll feel like to be a dragon.”

“Thanks.” Bram took it gingerly. He remembered those other young converted New Whelps. “Wait, if I do become a dragon, won't I be a kid again? What will that mean with --” He looked at Cynthia. She smiled wide enough to display fang-tips.

“Bram, I've got a thousand years or more to look forward to.” Cynthia tapped his nose, “I'll be able to wait for you.”

“Whatever you do, let's stay friends as long as we can,” Bram pointed to her bag. “Who else can I ask about the old days of fandom?”

“Yeah.” Cynthia smiled. To his surprise she leaned in close and pressed a kiss on him. Bram didn't resist. The normal draconic sulfur breath seemed pleasant for a change. A comfortable warmth spread through him, and her lips were not as rough as he thought. When she pulled back he felt surprised smoke didn't come from his nostrils. She looked up and saw the EMTs and police headed their way and walked off to answer whatever questions they had. “See you later.”

“Alligator,” Bram called after her. She just laughed. He slumped, the night's events catching up with him even though the healing spell. He carefully folded the scroll and put it in one pocket.

I could use the scroll. I could become a dragon with the potion. Or I could not take it. I can still die as a human. If that's what I want. Or I could become a dragon, live for centuries – with Cynthia, I hope – and see just what really does happen with this old world.

He remembered that morning and watching her fly above Hawk Mountain. He strongly suspected he'd be seeing her fly for many a year to come. Those old words came back to him but now he smiled at them.

Life goes on, will it or not.