• Published 23rd Jan 2019
  • 1,354 Views, 44 Comments

Horse Play - Alden MacManx



The crew of the ISAEC Hurin Tascheter, investigating Ratzi activity in the Equuleus sector, find an interesting race of magic-using beings. New friends, maybe?

  • ...
1
 44
 1,354

Chapter Ten

Ten hours later, Jamie called a conference of his senior officers in Briefing Room One, along with Princess Twilight. “Okay, I have some intelligence on what is coming our way,” he said from the head of the table before picking up a note pad.

“A large Ratzi fleet, about three-quarters the size of what hit Brigadoon, is on the way here from the Ratzi home space. The center ship of the fleet is something new to us, an old system writ large.”

“What would that happen to be, Captain?” Twilight asked.

Jamie reread his note pad before answering. “One of the Ratzis main weapons is a beam that shuts down our power intake screens, essentially rendering any ship caught in it powerless, except for its batteries,” he explained.

“From what we have been able to figure out, the same beam makes spellcasting, or much magic use at all, ineffective inside the confines of the beam,” Lieutenant Commander Hartens added.

Commander Davis joined in the explanation. “What our power intake screens do is essentially take in ambient galactic mana, converting the mana into electricity which we use to power the ship. Let me tell ya, the stardrive is a real power hog. The rotolinears less so, but you can’t go far between stars on a rotolinear.”

“Plus, once they get a lock on you, it’s difficult to get out of the path of the beam long enough to allow the systems to recover, unless you destroy the beam emitter,” Lieutenant Commander M’Ranx added. “That can be done. Captain Somers here did it, in our first engagement with the Ratzis.”

“It was a lucky shot, enabled by Lieutenant Khaball’s skill at altering the ship’s spin with a cutter's drive unit just enough to allow me a sun gun shot right up their emitter array,” Jamie said as Lieutenant Khaball’s ears turned reddish.

“That is the same weapon they used on the ponies at North Shore, right? A beam that came out and caused the ponies to go unconscious,” Twilight said.

Lieutenant Commander Harris spoke up. “They passed out because the Ratzis shocked the magic that is in the ponies enough to cause them to go unconscious. If the beam was held on them longer, it would have killed them." The vampire did not look happy, a fang descending out from under his upper lip to poke the lower lip a little.

“What would the Ratzis want to do with a much larger beam? Hit Equestria with it?” Twilight asked.

Commander Sardon spoke up. “Knowing the Ratzis like we do, that is a possibility. Something that is also possible is not firing the beam at the planet, but either at your sun or the brown dwarf that is the gravitational center of your solar system. It does contain the galactic mana node for this region of space, and it is a powerful node. Take that node out, and there is a good possibility that the mana flow in this area of space will be disrupted for quite some time.”

“That is something we cannot allow to happen, and we will not,” Commander Seiryuu said, looking serious.

“He’s right,” Captain Somers said, indicating Commander Seiryuu with a nod. “The ISA is mustering up two fleets, one of which will be on its way within twelve hours, the other about three days later. Every combatant craft and supply ship that is not needed in the other fronts against the Ratzis are heading either here or to their port, for resupply and scrambling.

“The other two battlestarships, the Union and the Alliance, should be here within one day of the Ratzis arrival in the Equis system. We should be glad they can muster up speeds better than what this ship can do and are much more heavily armed. The Hurin is an exploration cruiser, one with armament, but more dedicated to science than war.”

“I have noticed that, Captain. Your laboratories on this ship make me more than a bit jealous,” Twilight admitted. “What I would like to know is, why would you do all this for a species you only just met less than a month ago?”

“Why? There are two reasons, Princess Twilight,” Commander Seiryuu said. “The first one is, disrupting this galactic mana node could have repercussions throughout the galaxy. Something no one I know of would want to see.”

“The other reason is even simpler,” Captain Somers added. “What sort of friends would we be if we didn’t do anything to help you?”

Twilight let out a bright smile. “Friendship is magic, as it appears that you know full well, Captain!”

Most of the beings around the table smiled as well. “That we do know, but the lesson was long in learning. Now that we know the value of it, no reason not to increase the magic, right?” Commander Davis drawled, sitting back in his chair.



A few hours later, new orders were cut for the Hurin, sent by conventional FTL radio, the PurpleComm setup, and a scroll that was sent to Twilight, via Spike. The orders are to intercept the Ratzi fleet at long range, and to use all the scrying measures at their disposal to learn more about the Ratzi fleet, but to not get caught doing so. Upon receipt of the orders, the Hurin changed course to intercept the Ratzi fleet.

Setting up in a star system a little way off from the Ratzi line of approach, the Hurin settled in. The Star Elves, Lieutenants Velvet and Silk, along with the long-range telepath, the Mephit named Veronica, got to work. The three mages did what they could as well, but their talents were rather erratic at long range, like from one star to another. It COULD work, but don’t bet the house on it.

The Gilgamesh also sent out two scout craft to investigate the fleet, deliberately attracting the Ratzis attention so that the Hurin would hopefully remain undetected, at Captain Somers’ suggestion and Commodore Harkennon’s concurrence. The first report came from the Star Elves.

“Captain, the fleet consists of ninety ships, ranging in size from scouts to battlestarships. A senior Ratzi is in command of the fleet, at least a level Three, if not a Two. Veronica’s trying to dial in on him now,” Silk reported.

“Thank you, Silk. What about their megaweapon?” Jamie asked.

“They must have been working on this for some time, Captain. Odds are good it would snuff a planetary mana field. A galactic node, chances are it would do a lot of damage to it. It’s not something we should have around, in my opinion,” Silk said truthfully.

“Get back to monitoring. I’ll check in with Chief Lovell next.” Jamie did just that, finding out the mages had detected the fleet, but their best scries were too erratic for much detail. He thanked the Chief and told her to keep trying.

“Is this normal, all this waiting around to figure out what to do?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, it is, Princess. While we know a lot about the Ratzis, there is a lot we don’t know about this particular fleet, what its orders are, and just how determined they are. With a level-two Ratzi in command, I do not think he would be willing to sacrifice himself. Either he is on the largest battlestarship in the fleet, or on one of the smaller scouts set up as a command ship. They have gone both ways in the past,” Jamie explained.

“What do you mean by a level-two Ratzi?”

Jamie sighed a little. “The Ratzis are a species that reproduce by flash cloning and programming. There are as many as five level-one Ratzis, who are the supreme leadership. Level-twos are slightly less intelligent and willed, and so on down to the level-nine shock troops, who are trained to fight and follow orders. As far as we know, below level four, the Ratzis do not have individual wills or personalities, just programming and competence to handle their assigned tasks.

“A level four would command a ship, and below him, the level fives run departments, and so on down. Talking to anything lower than a level four is an exercise in futility. Nobody home to answer your questions,” he told her, tapping his head with a finger.

“How could such a species ever come to be?” Twilight asked.

“We don’t know for sure. From what we have been able to gather, from salvaging wrecked computer cores, was that there was a war some time back. A catastrophic war, from which few survived. Details are lacking,” Jamie said with a sigh.

He was about to speak some more but was interrupted by a whistle. “Lurt to Captain!” came over the speaker.

“Go ahead, Ensign. Report,” Jamie said crisply.

“The lead Ratzi is not a level two, it’s a level one! A member of the Ratschancellory! The Science Minister! He’s leading the expedition to wipe out the star magic node here!” Veronica said a bit breathlessly. “I broke contact after that, because I was getting nauseous. In fact…” the communication stopped after that.

Jamie let out another sigh, rubbing his eyes. “Veronica is a good Long-Range Telepath, but she gets ahead of herself at times. She goes too deep into a mind and gets repulsed by what she sees.”

“Young and eager to please, right?” Twilight said.

Jamie sighed as he sat in his chair. “Years ago, I was the one who found the Mephit and brought them into the ISA, the same as I am doing to your world. However, the Mephit, unlike the Acuna and the Gelatinoids, have a bit of hero worship, especially when it comes to me. I am held in high regard by many of the Mephit species, but Veronica takes it to a whole different level. No matter how much I try to settle her down, she always displays eagerness in doing the best she can do for me. It does get tiresome, even after being aboard for a year. She does do excellent work, so I am not willing to transfer her off the ship.”

Twilight nodded in understanding. “So, you suffer in silence, yes?” she said with a little wry smile.

“No, not in silence,” Jamie said. “The senior officers all know how tired I am of her adulation, but she never seems to understand when she’s told to settle down around me. I deal with it.”

“Lurt to Captain. Back on station. I’ll try to deep probe the Science Minister again,” Veronica reported via intercom.

“Very well, Lurt.”



The probing of the Ratzi fleet continued as it flew past the Hurin’s location, getting some more data on the Ratzi fleet. They also found a significant problem, when Veronica let out a screech, her fur stood straight out from her body, and she passed out. Velvet and Silk brought her to Medical for examination. A little later, Captain Somers went for a report.

“The only explanation I can give you, from what I have found, is that she underwent a psychic assault by another, more powerful telepath,” Doctor Harris told the Captain.

“The Ratzis are not telepathic, Lee. You know that,” Jamie said, looking just a bit confused.

“That is true, they are not. However, this may explain some inconsistencies we have found in the Ratzis. Like, their flash-cloning and instructional technology, their drive to work together, the fact that the senior castes have little trouble controlling their subordinate castes, I think there is something unknown behind the Ratzis. Maybe some form of mechanical telepathy, operated from the home world?” Lee suggested.

“Entirely possible. Mother has not been able to get close to the Ratschancellory, no matter how hard she has tried,” Jamie said. “She could just barge on in, but that’s not her style.”

“Yes, she does like her finesse. Father has told me about it. Maybe I should send her a copy of my analysis.”

“Would not hurt to do so. How long before Veronica wakes up?” Jamie asked.

Lee looked Jamie in the face. “I don’t know for sure, Captain. It could be an hour, it could be a couple of days. With telepathic trauma, recovery times are always guesstimates.”

Jamie snorted. “Not always. Remember Lieutenant Flaherty, when we first found out about the Ratzis?” referring to the Lurt aboard six years before.

“That is a little more straightforward, Captain. In his case, the telepath he was in rapport with died in the Ratzi bombardment of New Edmonton. When that happens, especially in a two-ended long range telepathic contact, it almost always kills the other end. In this case, Veronica underwent a psychic assault. There is a difference,” the vampire told him.

“You have a point. Look after her. Time for me to find out what’s next on our agenda.” Jamie said before leaving Medical.



The Hurin was ordered to take a roundabout course back to Equestria, increasing speed once clear of the Ratzi’s sensors. That took about a day, while the Ratzi fleet plodded onward, at one light-year per hour. They made it back to Equestria with thirty-six hours to go before the Ratzi fleet arrived in system. Jamie Teltransed down to the surface for a strategy conference with Commodore Harkennon and Princesses Celestia and Luna.

“There is something I would like you to attempt, should the opportunity present itself,” Princess Celestia said once battle plans were drawn up.

“What would that be, Your Highness?” Commodore Harkennon asked.

“I would like Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends to accompany Captain Somers aboard his ship. I want them to try the Elements of Harmony on these Ratzis. If it works, it could remove the evil in the upper castes of the species. If not, there should be no harm done. The only harm is not trying,” Celestia explained.

Jamie looked thoughtful for a moment before replying. “I will agree to it, if Princess Twilight and her friends agree as well. How close do they have to be for these Elements to be effective?” he asked.

“I am not sure, Captain. Never before have we needed to try this at a distance like what has been described to me for space combat. I will leave that to my former personal student to discover,” was the reply.

“You put great faith in these Elements, Princess Celestia. Since you do, I can do no less,” Jamie said firmly.

“Are you sure you want to risk the lives of a new species to the ISA like this, Captain?” Commodore Harkennon asked, more than a bit surprised.

“If they are willing, and it could possibly stop the war with the Ratzis, then yes, I will take that risk. Remember, I have faced the Ratzis before and survived, Bev.” Jamie said.

“Yes, you have. I just worry about the repercussions if anything happens to them.”

Princess Celestia spoke up. “There will be no repercussions, Commodore. If it happens, we will mourn the loss and keep on going. But, if it works, it will be of immense benefit for us all.”

“You do bring up a good point, Princess Celestia. If you are willing, we will support your decision. With our reservations noted, of course,” Commodore Harkennon said to Celestia.

“Of course, Commodore,” Celestia said with a nod of approval. “It seems that in your own bureaucracy, you have those who would criticize any decision you make or any action you take. It happens here, too.”

“I, too, would like to go along as well, to observe combat in space for myself,” Luna spoke up with. Holding up a wing to stop objections from the other three, she went on. “I know that I should remain here and take charge of our counter-attack, if they should decide to come close to Equestria, and I will do so. Does not stop me from wanting to see for myself.”

“Smart of you to say so, sister. I, too, want to see such a sight for myself, but I shall refrain from doing so and instead listen to Twilight Sparkle’s descriptions. I am sure they will be detailed to the last flicker of light,” Celestia said with a beatific smile.

Commodore Harkennon chuckled some. “I take it Princess Twilight is… detail oriented?”

“You can say that, Commodore. Now, I have a few ideas I want to talk to you about, should the Ratzis get close enough to try them,” Princess Celestia said, her smile disappearing.

Jamie rose from his seat. “I think I should take my leave of this conversation. What I do not know, I cannot factor into my defense plans, and more importantly, cannot let slip.”

“Good idea, Captain. Have your ship ready to break orbit within twelve hours,” the Commodore ordered.

“Will do, Bev.”

Author's Note:

Ho boy. Here comes the three-ring circus, led by one of the master ringmasters. Good seats available, just call Galactic Box Office to reserve yours!