• Published 22nd Jan 2019
  • 3,775 Views, 167 Comments

Adventurer to Mother - Zubric



When Daring Do's latest adventure goes south, the adventurer finds herself stuck with a regressed Rainbow Dash. Can Twilight fix the curse, or will Rainbow Dash have to grow up all over again? And will Daring find she likes being a mother?

  • ...
8
 167
 3,775

New Mommy?

Rainbow shifted, waking up suddenly. It wa still dark outside and Daring was fast asleep. The little filly was sill pouty about her mother issue, she didn’t know why it upset her so much but it did. Glancing around the room she soon saw something move around in the darkness. "W-who there?" She quietly called in fear. The shadow move closer to the of top the bassinet, soon revealing the familiar form of Tank just hovering there.

"Tankie! You know wah Dawing say to me eawliew?" Rainbow asked with tears in her eyes. Her pet just blinked, hovering idly. He wasn't sure what made her upset, but wanted to be there anyway Rainbow sighed, tears hitting the mattress of the bassinet. "She say that she no want me as a foal. That she no can cawe for me."

Lowering himself like a helicopter, Tank lightly nuzzled his owner hoping to make her smile.

"I don't wanna be hewe anymowe Tankie, I wanna go with somepony wike Fwuttewshy, or even Pinkie Pie," She sniffled while hugging Tank a little.

He gave her a little lick before trying to grab her and lift her up out of the bassinet. Despite the propeller he was still able to lift her up, gently moving over to a small picnic basket which already had a cloth in it. .

Rainbow slid off his back into the basket. “Why I go in hewe?"

Tank just smiled at her, hovering off to the bassinet to grab her Spitfire plushie and drop it into her hooves. His legs soon grabbed the top handle of the basket and began to lift it off the floor, slowly moving toward a nearby open window.

Rainbow looked out at the window. "Whewe we going, Tank?" She asked.

The tortoise just floated the basket out the window, steadily flying away. His destination was Fluttershy's cottage. He made sure not to let his grip loosen, the last thing he wanted to do was drop his owner and have her fall through the clouds.

The filly giggled and squealed as they flew, she was having fun looking out of the basket at the night sky. It reminded her of how much she used to be able to fly before all of this had happened. It wasn't long until Fluttershy’s cottage came into view, an owl nearby hooted as Tank approached, looking for an open window.

"Why so many windows open tonight?" Rainbow questioned before she realized where Tank had took her. "Why we hewe, Tank?!"

Tank soon flew the basket inside the cottage and placed it on the couch. He lowered himself down and lick his owner’s cheek. Landing in the basket he cuddled up to her.

Rainbow yawned, she wasn't used to being up at this time anymore. "Tankie, why did you take me hewe? Mama gonna be mad at me!"

Tank just tilted his head at her. Wasn't this what she wanted? He leaned on her some as he closed his eyes. At least the blanket would keep her warm.

Rainbow sighed. "Fine, we stay tonight, maybe tomorrow. But we go back soon." She laid her head down and used the blanket to cover herself, she soon got very tired and fell asleep.


As morning came, Fluttershy yawned, climbing out of bed and heading downstairs. She blinked when she noticed the basket on her couch. "That wasn't there last night." She thoguht as she peered in and blinked. "Rainbow Dash?" She asked, rubbing her eyes upon seeing Tank too.

Rainbow rolled in her sleep and giggled, she was having a dream about Daring being her mother and all the fun stuff they were going to have. But then all of a sudden the sky went dark and Daring looked back at her and said. "You'll never actually be my daughter, now will you?"

"W-wha you tawking ‘bout, Mama?" Rainbow nervously asked.

"We both know that I'm only taking care of you because it was my fault that you’re a foal." Daring explained, looking at the small foal

"That no twue!" Rainbow yelled in horror.

"It is!" Daring replied back, causing Rainbow to wake with a start.

Fluttershy grabbed the startled foal, gently lifting her out of the basket. "Rainbow? How did you get here?" She asked in a soft but stern voice. "Are you alright?"

"I had nightmare!" Rainbow whimpered, hugging onto Fluttershy for security.

Fluttershy instinctively hugged her friend back, gently patting her. "Oh you poor thing," She cooed, still wanting answers but deciding to wait till the foal had calmed down. "Daring Do must be worrying sick about you.”

"No she not, she no even want me." Rainbow sniffled.

Fluttershy retrieved a small cloth, wiping Rainbow’s nose. "That can't be. I've seen her take good care of you this last week.”

"Bu she said wast night that she no want me." Rainbow protested.

Fluttershy's ear flattened as she cradled the foal a little more. She assumed Rainbow was just over reacting like many foals do. "I'm sure that's not what she meant." She softly spoke.

"Yeah it is! That why Tank bwing me hewe, so you can be new Mama!" Rainbow confessed, her tears falling onto Fluttershy's coat.

A few minutes passed as Fluttershy thought of what to say. It was true that Daring wasn't really Rainbow's mother, but she also wasn't the type to just abandon foals. "There there," She cooed, rubbing the foal's back to sooth her. “We’ll sort this out in time. Maybe you just need some breakfast?" She offered, thankfully having a spare highchair (usually reserved for baby animals).

Rainbows ears peaked up. "Can I have cookie?" She asked.

"No, it’s much too early for that. You’ll spoil your appetite." Fluttershy mothered, carefully placing Rainbow in the spare highchair

"But me want cookie!" Rainbow yelled, pounding her hoof on the tray of the highchair.

"Rainbow, stop yelling!" Fluttershy scolded while wagging her hoof,. "Keep this up and you won’t have cookies at all." She moved to her stove to make oatmeal for her and Rainbow.

"Wah? No cookies?! You no can do that." Rainbow pouted. She wanted to yell but with what Fluttershy had just said she wasn't going to take any chances

"Foals shouldn't have so much sugar, it’s not good for them," Fluttershy said as she went about making the oatmeal. "Maybe while this cooks we can talk." She was hoping to get some answers out of her friend.

"Wah we talk about?" Rainbow asked while looking at the adult mare.

"Well um, what about the mother thing you mentioned?" Fluttershy asked while stirring the pot of oats.

"So I ask Dawing if I decide to stay foaw would she be my mama, and she said she no know." Rainbow explained while watching Fluttershy cook.

"That's quite the the question to just drop on somepony, I mean I’d be pretty shocked too." Fluttershy’s tail swished as she thought about it. What would she have said if it was her that had been asked?

"But Mama- me mean Dawing said me no her weal daughtew!" Rainbow protested, having started to mistake her dream for real life.

Fluttershy rubbed her neck. "Even if she isn’t your mother, Daring is awful nice to watch over you."

"Bu then she say that she onwy take cawe of me cuz it hew fauwt that I foaw, but-" Rainbow couldn't finish her sentence, she felt the tears in her eyes and couldn’t hold them back.

Fluttershy blinked, feeling confused. What Rainbow said was true but it felt wrong. "I-Im sure she wants to care for you, Rainbow,” She nervously replied. “It's been a good week so far, right?" She moved back to the chair and gave Rainbow a hug. A foal's mind could be unstable at times.

"I no cawe! I wanna stay with you! Dawing meanie!" Rainbow pleaded while hugging Fluttershy.

Fluttershy said nothing, instead opting to gently pet her friend’s back. "But I'm sure she’s worried about you. What will she think when she wakes up and you're not in your bassinet?"

"I don't know, maybe she be happy that she no has to worry ‘bout me." Rainbow whimpered as tears dropped from her eyes again.

Fluttershy wipes gently at the tears with a cloth. "Oh, I'm sure that not what's going on at all. You’ll see," She patted the foal’s back. "Come on, breakfast is almost ready. Bet you’re ready for num nums."

Rainbow giggled as her stomach grumble. "Yeah, I hungy."


Back at Rainbow Dash’s house, an unaware Daring Do was in a frenzy, search about every nook and cranny! Instead of waking up to the smell of diaper needing changed, she was instead greeted with an empty bassinet.

While peeking under the couch and various other spots in the house where a foal might be, she also saw that the tortoise was missing as well. “Where did she go?! Did Tank go with her?!" Her mane was disheveled as she turned the house upside down only to find nothing. "How could she have gotten off the cloud?! Oh, I’m such a bad parent! They always say you don’t let the foal out of your sight, how could I be so careless?!"

Daring looked around some more and that was when she noticed something. A wide open window stared her right in the eyes! Of course, that had to be it!

As Daring stared out the window, she remembered that Tank had a little propel device that would enable him to fly. Did that mean he’d taken off with Rainbow Dash? How did he manage to carry her to wherever she was without dropping her? "No, there’s no way. Tank couldn’t have carried her far, he’s only a tortoise." But it seemed to be the only clue as to what could have happen. She flew out and began to explore. "Maybe she went to one of her her friends?" She thought? The question was, which one was it?


Fluttershy had just finished feeding Rainbow and sat her down in the living room. Angel once more tilted his head at the regressed pegasus.

"Hi Angel," Rainbow giggled. "You wanna know why I hewe?" Angel just rolled his eyes some as he poked her tummy, clearly not interested in how or why she’d gotten so small.

Fluttershy, meanwhile, set some toys down for Rainbow, one of them being a xylophone. "Oh, you know, Angel, he gets jealous.” She cooed.

"I know, but he funny!" Rainbow said while picking up the small gavel for the xylophone.

"Hehe, you going to play music for us?" Fluttershy cooed, playing along with Rainbow. Rainbow didn't seem to be fighting her foal side. She seemed to be having fun being small.

"Yeah! You wanna pway too?" Rainbow asked, indeed not fighting back on her foalish side. She was actually embracing it, only this one time though.

Fluttershy can't help but grin as she grabbed a small drum and patted on it. "Hehe, Rainbow's band."

“Yeah! Wes gonna be the.... the.... The Wainbooms!" Rainbow proudly declared.

Fluttershy giggled too. "The Rainbooms? What a fun name." She cooed as she beat the drum while gently watch Rainbow beat on random notes.

The music wasn't good at all, just random noises. But to Rainbow the music was normal, actually good sounding. Fluttershy keep beating on the drum to match Rainbow's random beat, letting her lay out her little music as much as she wanted. The grin on the foal's face melted her heart.

But eventually, Rainbow put down the gavel and crawled over to more toys.


Daring rushed into Sugarcube Corner, glancing around before spotting Pinkie. "Pinkie, have you seen Rainbow?!" She frantically asked, nearly dropping her A. K. disguise glasses.

Pinkie looked up and giggled. "Yeah, I saw her yesterday with Scootaloo."

"No, I mean today! I woke up this morning and she was gone!" Daring blurted out in panic!

"Oh....wait, what?! You let the foal disappear?!" Pinkie shouted, getting closer to Daring.

“Of course not, that’s why I’m looking,” Daring tugged on her mane. “Obviously Rainbow Dash went to one of her friends and I need to find her. I’m guessing she’s not here though.”

Pinkie shook her head. “Nope. Only two foals when I checked this morning, and neither of them had a rainbow mane.”

Daring sighed. “Maybe she’s at Twilight’s, but I don’t know why Dash would go there.”

"Well, maybe to check if Twilight found a cure,” Pinkie suggested. “She could’ve also gone to Rarity's. She did seem to like Rarity from what I heard, and Rarity did act more like a mother to her."

“Hey, are you saying I wasn’t a mother?!” Daring growled as her eyes narrowed.

"No, I'm just saying that the way I heard it, Rarity was talking to Rainbow like how a mother would talk to her filly." Pinkie explained.

Daring rubbed her neck “Right, right.” She was worried sick as a pit in her stomach weighed her down. “Hope I find her. I don’t know what I’ll do if I don’t! Oh, I hope she’s alright, wherever she is!” She thought as she zipped out to go find Rarity.

"Wait, I'm coming with you!" Pinkie shouted and ran to catch up with Daring.


Daring let Pinkie follow her as she got to Rarity’s boutique. She tried the door only to find it was locked. She began to knock hard, hoping Rarity was there and with Rainbow Dash in tow.

Without warning the door opened, and Rarity, wearing a face mask and a bathrobe, came out. "Oh, hello darlings,” She greeted. “What brings you here this early in the morning? I assume it was something that couldn’t wait? Did you want some more foal clothes for Rainbow?"

“No, Rainbow is missing,” Daring confessed. “I thought she came here with Tank somehow. But I guess she didn’t.”

Rarity looked at Daring and saw the panicked look on her face. "Oh good heavens, that’s terrible! Say no more, Daring, I'll be right out to help you find her!" Rarity ran back into the house and a few minutes later she came out without the robe and the facemask on.

“Alright let’s check Twilight’s place next!“ Daring instructed and lead the way, being a pretty fast runner even with her disguise drape on.


“Okay, it’s nap time little one.” Fluttershy called. Without saying anything else she proceeded to carry Rainbow up the stairs to the bedroom.

"Wah? I no tired!" Rainbow yelled, starting to yawn a bit.

“Maybe a little story will help?” Fluttershy asked. She found a spare pacifier and gently put it in the foal‘s mouth

"Wah stowy?" Rainbow asked with another yawn.

Upon getting to her room, Fluttershy careful began to wrap Rainbow in a blanket, swaddling her up. “Well how about The Three Little Pigs?”

Rainbow giggled, feeling the warmth swaddling and hugging her body. "Tat sound good, Fwuttewshy."

Fluttershy’s smile widened as she got out the story book and began to softly read the story.


Twilight jumped as the library door was flung open, the wind scattering papers about! “What is it?!”

Daring panted, struggling to catch her breath. “Twilight, please tell me you’ve seen Rainbow Dash!”

Pinkie bounced in behind Daring, a panicked expression on her face. "Twilight!!! Rainbow Dash is missing!"

“Wait, slow down. Missing?! How?! Was she foalnapped?!” Twilight demanded as her eyes grew wide with horror.

“No, I just woke up and she was gone, along with Tank.” Daring explained.

“That would explain how she would have managed to get off the cloud house.” Twilight realized.

"Yes. We thought that maybe she would have come by here to as ask you if you had a cure yet." Rarity inquired.

Twilight shook her head. “She hasn’t been here yet and a cure is still out of reach, I’m afraid.

“Where else would she have gone then?” Daring pondered. “We can’t keep running around town, looking in every building for her.”

Pinkie bounced up with a smile. "Oh, maybe she went to Fluttershy's cottage! It's the closest thing to her house after all."

"Yes, that makes sense. And Tank was originally at Fluttershy’s cottage so he’d know the way," Twilight suggested. "Let's go check it out."

The group headed off with Daring taking the lead once more. Her worries just kept building. Why would Rainbow run away? Had Daring done something wrong? Rainbow had been pretty upset last night and the question she'd asked Daring had still shocked the mare.


Fluttershy left the bedroom once the little filly had fallen asleep. She walked downstairs to sit on her couch, finally allowing herself to unwind. "Goodness, taking care of a foal is harder than I thought," She said out loud. Just as she started to relax though she heard a knock on her front door and sighed, getting up and heading over to answer it. She opened her door, surprised to see her friends. "Oh, hello everypony. What are you all doing here?"

"Have you seen Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy?!" Pinkie frantically inquired.

"Yes, she’s been here since this morning." Fluttershy explained, then squeaked as Pinkie moved closer.

"How did she get here?! Did you foalnap her?!" Pinkie interrogated her friend.

Daring moved Pinkie back as she stared at Fluttershy. "Please tell me where she is and that she’s safe and sound.."

"She is, I think Tank brought her here," Fluttershy answered. Her friends slowly came in, looking around. "Please be quiet, Rainbow’s currently sleeping upstairs."

Twilight looked back at Fluttershy with a questioning look. "But why would she come here?"

"Uh, she said Daring didn't want her or something." Fluttershy admitted.

Daring’s ears went flat as she rubbed her hoof on the floor. “I never said that exactly."

"She said that you said that the only reason you’re taking care of her is because it's your fault that she's a foal." Fluttershy went on.

Daring blinked. “What?! I know I never said that!" She defensively retorted. “I mean, it was my fault, but I never told her that was the only reason why I was taking care of her! Why would she ever think that?!”

"She did seem pretty torn up about it,” Fluttershy explained. “I was just going to take care of her for a little bit, then bring her back to you once she had forgotten about the whole thing." She added, blushing a little.

Daring sighed, her gaze falling upon the stairs. “I see. Well, thanks for looking after her, Fluttershy. I guess she was just letting her emotions take hold or something.”

"Maybe. But to run away in the middle of the night, I don't know anypony who would do that, not even Rainbow Dash." Rarity replied, looking at the small basket on the couch.

"Um, Tank was just trying to make her happy, I think." Fluttershy replied, shyly peering at said tortoise who was resting on the couch.

"That may be so, but it's about a mile fly from Rainbow’s house to here, that's dangerous for any new flyer, and even more so for a foal in a basket." Twilight commented with a frown on her face.

"W-well she got here safe, that's all that matters," Fluttershy said while rubbing the back of her neck. "I think she’s just letting her foalish side be stronger."

"Well, letting her entire foal side take over might not be that bad," Pinkie suggested while bouncing along. "You never know, she might like being a foal."

"It would be good for a real foal, but subce she's was a adult letting her foalish side take over fully could be permanent. And that would be bad." Twilight remarked with a shake of her head.

Daring blinked. "Is that even possible? You think that curse is doing this to her on purpose?" She ask while shifting her wings.

"Well, no. The curse didn't do anything big to her mental state,” Twilight explained. “But the little bit that did change was the part that made her like foalish things. And if she has the full mindset of a foal, I don't know if I would be able to make her a adult again. And even if I could she would still have a foal’s mind."

"Um well, she can still talk so there’s that," Fluttershy commented. "Being a mother is pretty hard."

Daring chuckled. "Yeah, no kidding. But you get better at it after a while, I did."

Fluttershy nodded, staring once more at the stairs. "Would you like some tea, Daring? It’s probably best if Rainbow Dash gets her rest."

Daring nodded. “Tea sounds good,” And she turned to Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Twilight. “Thank you all for helping me, but I can manage from here. Fluttershy seems to have everything under control.”

“Alright, but contact me right away if she starts acting like a foal more often,” Twilight warned. “And tell her I still haven’t found a cure yet. Whoever or whatever designed that curse really outdid themselves.”


After the rest of Rainbow's friends had gone home, Fluttershy and Daring sat idly while chatting, Daring sipping from her cup while tilting her head. "Really? You and a chaos spirit are friends?"

"Yes,” Fluttershy nodded. “Discord’s still sometimes mean, but after a while he’s really just a sweetheart." She said with a smile.

"Well, you don't hear that everyday, and I've seen a lot of different beings on my adventures," Daring commented. Taking one of the cookies she blinked in surprise. "And you really stared down a dragon? That sounds amazing!"

"Well, it was really scary,” Fluttershy admitted. “At first I didn't even want to go up the mountain. If my friends hadn’t dragged me along, I don’t think I would’ve ever set one hoof outside my cottage."

"I've been there before,” Daring nodded. “My first adventure, I was shaking from all the danger I was getting myself in. It was a while before I truly overcame that fear,” Then she added. “That stare of yours sounds pretty cool."

Fluttershy sighed. "Do you want to see the stare? I usually don’t like to use it if I don’t have to."

"No, I’m good, really. I don’t think I’ll need it to keep Rainbow in line," Daring declared as she got up and started heading towards the stairs. “Speaking of Rainbow Dash, I’m going to go check on her." With that she made her way up the stairs and into Fluttershy's bedroom, quietly approaching the bed.

Daring gently picked up the bundle that was Rainbow, cradling her in her hooves. She can't hold back her smile as she did so. It wasn't so bad, but still she wasn't sure what to do about this.

Even though she was asleep, Rainbow felt the warm embrace of the mare and started to snuggle into Daring's chest. Daring pulled her as close as possible and sat on the bed, letting Rainbow snooze. She wasn't really Rainbow's mother, but she sure felt a connection to the small foal.

Rainbow's eyes opened a bit. She was only able to see a shadowy outline of the pony holding her but that didn't matter, she knew who it was and she was happy because of that.

Several moments of silence passed as Daring just stayed in the moment, staring out the window at the Everfree Forest beyond.

Fluttershy came up to check up on them and softly awed. She smiled. “You can take her back to her house if you want. I don't think she'll mind waking up there."

Using the same basket Rainbow had arrived in, Daring took a slow flight home, occasionally staring down at the foal just to be safe. She really hoped Twilight could found a cure before it was too late.

Author's Note:

Aww what caring Freinds Rainbow has. :pinkiesmile: