• Published 20th Jan 2019
  • 1,005 Views, 6 Comments

The Troublemaker Prince - lightningflare1



Nova Sentry, a young stallion annoyed of his royal life. Decides to spice it up a little, but when befriends the wrong pony. His life will spiral out of control, leading the beloved son of Twilight and Luna to betray his nation.

  • ...
 6
 1,005

Chapter 2

The Troublemaker Prince

Deep within the hidden part of Canterlot, in the darkest place of its prison. Stood a unicorn stallion, darkness filled his heart with hatred fueling him to live another day. Crescent was branded as Equestria’s most dangerous criminal. He would have been sentenced to death years ago. The only thing that kept him from his demise, was his knowledge. He knew the identity of the spy within the ranks of the solar guards, and had no intentions of giving up such information. Five long years, Crescent was able to keep this information to himself.

"Mealtime," a voice said. Crescent smile turning his head back. "Crescent sir," Spearhead whispered placing a tray of food down. He opened the small slot and pushed the tray inside.

"Spearhead, how are you? It’s been a while since you paid me a visit?" Crescent asked taking his apple with his hoof. His eyes quickly glancing over his broken horn with the anti-magic ring around it. "I miss my horn, but those damn princesses removed it. Not to mention they placed a spell over this ring! I can't even remove it!"

"Patience sir," Crescent whispered with his eyes quickly scanning his surroundings. "I’ll free you one day, but we need the right pony to help us."

"Clearly you haven’t been paying attention! Ever since my arrest, there’s been a crackdown on the solar guards! Every royal guard who shared the same feelings as us! Have either been arrested or dismissed. The ones who are left won’t help you." Crescent said taking a bite of his apple, with his cold eyes glaring at the stallion in front of him.

"I never said it was going to be a royal guard," Spearhead said smiling.

Crescent raised a brow, now he was intrigued. "Go on,"

"Prince Nova Sentry," Spearhead spoke as he quickly checked his surroundings. "Young now, but he’s going to grow up. And with the right influence.... we can guide him to help us."

"That brat won’t help us, you fool! Why would he help ponies like us?" Crescent said grabbing a slice of bread.

"Imagine this, sir. A poor little colt finds himself all alone once more. His poor mommies won’t spare him a single minute with him, his friends don’t want to see him. Vulnerable and broken, and say... I so happen to appear in his life. Give him the friendship and interaction he desperately seeks. Pushing him away from his lovey-dovey family, and towards the wrong path in life and right into our hooves."

A sinister smile form on the stallion’s face. He chuckled softly to himself before turning to the Pegasus pony. "It seems you have a brain inside of that skull of yours. If your plan is successful... this brat could be very useful. Let him grow up a little, so his magical abilities are sufficient to break this damn ring."

"No problem, sir," he said smiling back.

"Don’t fail me, Spearhead," Crescent said as Spearhead left his cell.

Spearhead bit down on his bottom lip in annoyance, You bastard! I’m the only reason you’re still alive. Without me, they would have executed you long ago.


Nova lazily flipped through the book, Regal had assigned him to read. The young prince wasn’t really in the mood to read now. Once more, both of his mothers brushed him off for their royal duty.

"Young prince," Nova looked up from his book, wiping away the drool from the side of his lip. He rubbed his eyes slightly, seeing Spearhead standing in front of him.

"Oh…. Hello, Spearhead," Nova said closing his book

"Studying?" He asked with a smile

"Not really…. This book is boring." Nova replied with a sighed in annoyance

"And what book are you reading, young prince?" Spearhead asked as he slowly approached the young colt.

"Levitation spells. I know a few spells that my mommy taught me, but these are more advanced." Nova said jumping down from his stool.

"You deserve a break, young prince. You should go off and enjoy life." He said messing the colt’s mane.

"My mothers told me to stay here," Nova replied giving the stallion a glare before fixing his mane, "They said, I should study until they returned."

"Rules are so boring, young prince." Spearhead whispered softly into his ears, "Do you really want to stay here? Sitting on your flank like some fool?"

A scowl rapidly formed on the colt’s face. He shook his head furiously, "I AM NOT!" he shouted.

"Then go out and have some fun, young prince." Spearhead said giving a small pat on his back, "Don’t you agree?"

"I will! My mothers can’t tell me what to do!" Nova shouted before he ran off.


Nova went to his room with a cheerful laugh. He quickly opened his closet and pulled out a chest. A mischievous smile formed as a plan formulated inside of Nova’s mind.

Who am I going to prank? Oh! Maybe the guards? Wait.... maybe not. They’re so serious... I would have to pull a big prank to make them even blink. Oh! The servants.... yeah! They’re so fun to pull pranks on. But I haven’t done Aunty Celestia in a while.... but she’s probably busy like mother and mommy. Alright! It’s decided! I’ll pull a prank on the servants of the castle! Wait, But what kind of prank? Nova smiled as he removed varies items from the chest.

"Hot lemon drops? No. Dribble cup? Nah, that’s lame. Rainbow cookies are overrated.... ugh! There’s nothing I can use." He whines pushing the chest back. He sighed when he suddenly remembered the little gift Discord had given him. "Of course!"

Nova opened a small box and stared down at the colour orbs, "Surprise sparks!"


"Prince Nova?" A lunar guard called out as he roams the castle. He was supposed to escort Nova to Regal’s office, but the young colt disappeared.

Dear Celestia! I’m going to get fired! Captain Umbra will fire my flank, and then Princess Luna will make sure I have nightmares for the rest of my life! And then Princess Twilight will make sure I don’t have any more friends! After that! Princess Celestia will banish me to the Everfree forest! The guardsman thought as he nervously bit down on his hoof.

"No.... calm down Midnight. No need to panic. Prince Nova must have gone to the bathroom.... yeah, that must be it." Midnight said before he took a deep breath. He turned a corner catching a glimpse of a purple blur. "Prince Nova! Wait!"

Nova peer back slightly to see who the voice belongs too, Midnight Fury. Midnight was recently assigned to be Nova’s personal guardpony. When Nova had learned about this, he was hoping Midnight had exciting stories to tell. But unfortunately, Midnight only did the typical guardpony work, had the typical stern glare, and stood like a statue for hours on end. The only thing exciting about Midnight was his eyes. His right eye is a golden yellow, with his left one a limeade green.

The young prince had asked if Midnight had acquired his unique look in some battle. But no, the bat pony was simply born this way. But Nova liked him regardless. He was nice and fun to be around with. The only thing, Nova didn’t like about him was his nervous side. Believe it or not, at times he was worse than Twilight Sparkle, herself.

"Hey, Midnight! Bye Midnight!" Nova shouted as he ran into a room.

"Prince Nova! Come back!" he shouted running after the young colt. Midnight opened the door and watched in a haste, catching Nova placing weird colourful orbs around the room. A questionable look formed on his face, "What? Prince Nova, what are you doing?"

"Close the door, Midnight!" Nova whispered as he waved his hoof at him, "I don’t want the servants to see me."

"Prince Nova, you’re late for your lesson. Come along now," he said motioning his head towards the door, "I’ll explain to Regal we were caught up."

"No way! I’m so tired of rules. I’m going to have some fun for once." Nova said. He walked over to a plant which sat in front of an open window.

"Prince Nova, Princess Luna and Twilight won’t be happy about this." Midnight said as he approached the young colt.

"Midnight! It's not a big deal. It's not like last time when I pranked Aunty Tia." Nova said while he roughly placed the orb down. He looked up at the bat pony, not noticing the orb had started to shake slightly. "Remember when I place a whoopie cushion on the throne? Aunty Tia was so embarrassed! It was so funny." Nova said smiling at him.

"You were lucky it wasn’t some important meeting, Prince Nova." Midnight said in a sigh. He clearly remembered that day. He had gotten an earful from Captain Umbra and the princesses. "Now come along, Prince Nova. We must depart before anypony notices."

"Don’t be such a worried some pony, Midnight. You’re worse than mommy when she’s in one of her…. Crazy panic stages…. Well, from what mother told me." Nova said taking a moment to think about the phrase he spoke.

Midnight let out a sigh, his cat-like eyes staring down at the young colt. He unfurled his bat-like wings and lazily flap them in annoyance. "Prince Nova, please forgive me but I must insist. We must depart for your lessons at once."

"Midnight! Everything is fine, okay? Nothing bad is going to happen!" Nova said before he gave a light kick to the plant. He sighed in annoyance and backed away, he was about to join Midnight when the orb suddenly exploded. Nova shouted in surprise with sparks flying all over the place. Creating a chain reaction with the other orbs exploding as well. Nova closed his eyes from the sudden light, blinding him. He gasped when he accidentally tripped over the window’s ledge.

His eyes widen in horror as he watched Nova fall out of the window. He quickly opened his wings and jump out after him. "PRINCE NOVA!" Midnight shouted

Midnight closed his wings and kept his body as straight as possible. He narrowed his eyes as the two-pony free fell. I…. I won’t make it in time! No! I must save him! Even at the cost of my life! Midnight thought with his worst possible fears coming true. He quickly shook his head. He shouldn’t be focusing on his fears. There was still a few more feet’s before they reached the ground. He still had a chance to save the young prince.


Twilight sighed softly as she placed a book down. She had finally found some time for herself after such a long day. Being Princess of Friendship was a lot of work, between her duties in Canterlot and Ponyville? She was surprised, she hadn’t gone crazy yet.

"Love," Twilight’s ears flinch slightly. She smiled seeing Luna walking across the garden, "Is this where you ran off too?"

"I didn’t run off, Luna. Just took a little break with a good book." Twilight said giving a small pat against the book cover.

"I shall believe your false claims, love." Luna playfully teased. She took a deep breath of the fresh air and admired the beauty of the garden. "The gardeners have sure outdone themselves."

"And why aren’t you working, Princess of the Night?" Twilight teased in return.

"I’m sure no pony noticed my disappearance," Luna replied with a chuckle. Twilight shook her head and stood up, she gave Luna a quick kiss on the lips before parting. "What? Is that all I get?" Luna asked before she entrapped Twilight in her hooves.

"Yes, that’s all you get," Twilight joyfully replied giving a ‘bop’ against Luna’s nose.

"Well, you won’t be able to leave until I get more," Luna softly whispered into the purple mare’s ears. Twilight smiled and placed her hoof against Luna’s chest. She looked up, ready to give her wife a cocky comeback when something caught her eye.

"What…. Is that?" Twilight said pushing Luna back. Twilight narrowed her eyes, as she slowly walked away from the lunar princess.

"What is what?" Luna asked noticing two strange dots falling from a tower.

"PRINCE NOVA" Twilight and Luna heard. They both gasped in horror, immediately knowing what they were witnessing. Their son was plummeting to his apparent death with what seems to be a guardpony after him.

"NOVA!" Twilight and Luna shouted in unisons. Both mothers didn’t hesitate, they quickly took flight and raced towards the tower.

Luna flapped her wings as rapidly as she could. She closed her eyes before disappearing in a flash of magic. Nova shouted when he suddenly felt somepony catch him. He opened his eyes and found himself inside of his mother’s hooves.

"NOVA! NEVER EVER DO THIS AGAIN!" Luna angrily shouted at him, giving the colt a light but firm shake.

Tears quickly formed in the colt’s eyes, he nodded his head in response. He had never seen his mother this angry before. It frightened him to see her like this.

"LUNA! WATCH OUT!" Twilight shouted. Luna looked back and noticed, how Midnight was having trouble to recover from such an intense fall. She quickly teleported herself and Nova to safety.

Every Pegasus pony wishing to enter the Royal Guards. Were required to go through an intense flight regiment, along with the standard military training. Pegasus guardpony, were expected to recover immediately if there were suddenly winded. But Midnight had jumped off from such an extreme height, he had picked up a lot of speed in the process. He was having trouble to recover himself from the free fall.

Twilight could easily notice the bat pony needed help. She quickly landed and stood, where Midnight might hit the ground.

"TWILIGHT! GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Luna shouted as she tightly held Nova in place.
Twilight ignored Luna’s cries. She quickly lit up her horn and formed a magical inflatable mattress. "EMBRACE YOURSELF MIDNIGHT!" Twilight shouted.

Midnight closed his eyes and mentally prepared himself for what was to come. When he fell on top of the mattress, he let out a shriek of pain. His eyes watered up from the intense agony, he knew his wing was broken. His wing had received the sudden impact of the fall, his entire body weight, and the uncomfortable position his body had been in before the impact.

Twilight quickly made the mattress disappear, she gently placed Midnight down. "Midnight!" Twilight said.

"Twilight!" Luna shouted rushing over with Nova, "Are you alright?!"

"I’m fine, don’t worry," Twilight said giving her wife a reassuring smile.

"Midnight!" Nova shouted rushing to the stallion, "Oh no! Midnight…. Your wing!"

"I’ll…. I’ll be fine, Prince Nova." Midnight painfully said, giving the young colt a small smile.

"I’ll get help!" Twilight said quickly disappearing in a flash of magic.

"Are you seriously wounded, Midnight Fury?" Luna asked while she scanned his body for any serious wounds.

"No, Princess Luna… just my wing," Midnight replied groaning in pain, "I’ll be fine…"

"I’m so sorry, Midnight." Nova cried as he sat next to him. "This is all my fault…. I’m so sorry."

"Don’t worry about it, Prince Nova. It's just a minor injury," Midnight said

Nova shook his head in denial, "You’re lying…. you got hurt because of me."

"Nova, now it's not the time." Luna softly said as she placed a hoof on his shoulder.

Nova looked up at this mother before turning his attention back to Midnight, "Okay…."


The small family headed back to the lunar chambers, once Midnight had been taken to the hospital, and doctors examining Nova for any injuries. Luna sat Nova on the bed while Twilight shut the door. The two-mare stared down at the young colt.

"Nova," Twilight said sighing deeply.

Nova hung his head low, he really messed up. How could a simple prank almost cost him his life? And Midnight had injured his wing because of him, "I’m so sorry…. I didn’t… mean too…." Nova said in a teary voice.

"We know, Nova," Twilight said as she gently hugged him, "You just scared us. Seeing you fall from such a height…. We were just so scared."

"What happened?! How did you end up falling out of the window?" Luna firmly asked. Nova broke away from the hug and whipped his nose.

"I…. I wanted to have some fun. So, I decided to play a prank on the servants. I took some Surprise Sparks that Discord had given me. I went into a room that the servants hadn’t clean yet and hid the sparks. Midnight came in….. and was trying to get me to my lessons with Regal. I don’t know what happened…. I placed a spark inside of a plant, gave a little kick to the pot….. and it exploded." Nova explained with tears flowing down his cheeks.

"Surprise Sparks are unstable magic. If they are roughly handled, they will explode." Luna said in a harsh tone and a scowl on her face.

Nova looked down, lowering his ears to its side. "I didn’t know…."

"Luna, aren’t you being a little harsh on him?" Twilight said while she gave Nova a hug, "It was an accident and luckily nopony was seriously wounded. You’re scaring Nova."

Luna looked down and noticed how frightened Nova was. She sighed with her expression softening, "I’m sorry, Nova." Luna said as she gently placed a hoof on top of his head, "I shouldn’t have yelled. I was just so….. scared of losing you. I wasn’t able to control my emotions."

Nova didn’t reply and embraced his mother. Luna smile fondly and happily returned the hug.

"I’m sorry…." Nova whispered nuzzling tightly against his mothers, "I’m so sorry…."

Twilight and Luna sighed in relief, "Just…. never do that again, Nova." Twilight said.

"We love you, son. We don’t want to lose you." Luna spoke softly as she placed a wing around them. Luna kissed Nova on the top of his head before she rested her head against Twilight’s. "You scared us. We haven’t been able to spend time with you lately but endangering your life isn’t the answer."

"I know…." Nova whispered whipping away some tears, "I just… wanted to spend some time with you."

"Tomorrow morning," Luna said smiling down at him, "I’ll make sure, no. I’ll ensure we spend the morning with you, alright Nova?"

A gentle smile appeared on Nova’s face. He nodded his head lightly before he nuzzled against his mothers, "Alright."

Author's Note:

Comments are welcome :twilightsmile:

Midnight Fury: