• ...
 1
 472

A Couples Set Up

The midday sun shone brightly down on CHS, during morning announcements Principal Celestia explained that due to the growing popularity during the day that coach Iron Will had brought Duel Monsters for Gym. She had used some of the school's funds to build a small VR duel field beside the soccer field, and as predicted it was absolutely packed with Students either on lunch break or had a free period.

In the field currently was an odd pairing: Shuffle Suite was standing on one end with four monsters on the field, and the CMCs were on the other with a field of monsters and facedowns; it was a three on one duel.

“Still think you can beat us, Shuffle?” Scootaloo said loudly, incredibly proud of the fact her favorite monster, Harpies’ Pet Phantasmal Dragon, whilst Sweetie Belle had her combo of Block Dragon and Bezerkion, The Electromagnetic Warrior and Applebloom had two facedown monsters.

“I do commend you three for playing decks that have a small synergy with each other, but the duel will end this turn with my draw!”

Shuffle drew his card and pressed a button on his Duel Disk.

“I activate the trap card Trap Stun, so no traps for the rest of my turn. Next, I summon Aleister The Invoker to my side of the field.”

Applebloom spoke up upon the summon of Shuffle's new monster.

“I chain from my hand Effect Veiler to negate Aleister’s effect, so that means you don't get his spell card!” Apple bloom discarded the aforementioned monster, and Aleister stood there, awaiting orders. Shuffle chuckled.

“Gotcha Bloom. Now, since you used Veiler on my Aleister, I can use him for another play. Now behold this!”

Shuffle flourished his hand, a practiced motion he picked up from his girlfriend.

“My conditions are now set and victory is assured, I send dark attribute Aleister and wind attribute Elementsaber Mekani, to link Summon Aleister, The Meltdown Invoker!” As Shuffle finished his chant, a replacement of Aleister appeared in a veil of red energy, his hood pulled off and half of his body was covered in a red aura.

“Now, time for the grand finale! I overlay both of my level nine Invoked Mechaba to XYZ summon True King of All Calamities!”

Both Invoked Mechaba had vanished from the field, becoming nothing but spheres of light, which then descended into a dark void. After a few seconds, a massive black and purple dragon with 4 ethereal wings emerged and let out a mighty roar, the crowd cheered at the sight of this big boss monster and the CMC’S stared at the creature in a mixture of fear and awe.

“Now for the final touches… I activate Invocation from my hand, since I couldn't fetch another, l use this one instead; now I banish Aleister from my graveyard and Elementsaber Malo’o to Fusion Summon Invoked Purgatrio!

A red rune appeared above the field, revealing both Aleister and Malo’o swirling together, uncovering a demon coated in purple flames, boasting two smaller demons, all smiling wickedly at their opponents.

“And after that, I'll use invocation from my graveyard and return Aleister to my hand, but pitch it back to the graveyard to increase Purgatrio to 3300 attack, and finally, both of my monsters’ abilities will trigger; First King Calamity, changing all monsters to the Divine attribute and negating all of your monsters effects, and following that, Purgatorio's passive ability triggers as well, since you have eleven cards on your side of the field. He gains 200 attacks for every card, along with the 1200 boost from my field spell. He's now a whopping 6700 attack. Now, time for a furious battle! Purgatrio attacks every monster on my opponent's side of the field and deals piercing damage to all defense position monsters. Now, Time for Battle, Purgatrio INFERNO
OVERDRIVE!”

Purgatrio let out a cackle, sending out a wave of purple flames, decimating each monster and wiping each of the CMCs’ life points to zero.

WINNER SHUFFLE SUITE!

The field began to disappear as each duelist returned their decks back to normal in their disks. The three girls were distraught from the loss, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle bickering over what had gone wrong, while Applebloom was just staring at the ground. Shuffle quickly made his way over to the girls in an attempt to quell the argument.

“Girls, you did fantastically, you can't win them all. Trust me, I know from years of experience, besides I got a surprise for all three of you.”

Shuffle held out his hand and with a snap of his fingers, three cards appeared in the webbing between each finger, each had the initials of each CMC member, Shuffle handed each card out to their respective new owners.

“Lightning Chidori, cool!” Scoot exclaimed.

“Naturia Beast, thanks! I needed another copy of him!” Apple Bloom said thankfully.

“Gandora, The Dragon of Destruction?” Sweetie asked.

“Yeah, Magnet Warriors can stall out a field and drawing Gandora will help you get through a tough opponent’s field AND power him up for a single blast,” Shuffle responded wisely. Each girl gave him a hug and ran off.

“I see you're still entertaining children,” a voice said behind Shuffle, a voice he easily recognized.

“Well, I did learn from a certain great and powerful magician girl,” he said smugly, pulling the figure into a hug and deep kiss.

Trixie hummed in approval as the two stood there enjoying the invigorating energy resonating from their shared kiss. Both retreated to catch their breath after a few seconds and put their foreheads together.

“How was practice with Lavender and Fuschia?” He asked as the two moved off the dueling field and to the bleachers.

“They were practicing with The Great and Powerful Trixie, of course, it was going to go flawlessly,” she responded confidently as the two sat down.

“I am still mad at you for not showing up, you promised you would, Shuffle.” she pouted, giving her baby eyes to her boyfriend.

“I know, but the CMCs wanted to challenge me as I was walking to practice, and you know for a fact I can't say no to those pouty eyes, and they all did it. I stood no chance babe.”

“Well lucky for you mister, Trixie is very forgiving, plus you can help her with her shows later tonight, and snuggles, that's the only way you're getting out of this.”

Shuffle let out a dramatic sigh. “Well if that's what I have to do to get back Into Trixie’s good books, I shall tolerate it.”

Both chuckled as they reclined on the bleachers, getting lost in their own conversation.

After a few minutes, Shuffle gasped and quickly grabbed his bag.

“Oh, shoot! I forgot I had something for you, Trix,” he said, ruffling through his somewhat messy bag; this had Trixie’s interest, so she sat waiting for her boyfriend to find whatever he was looking for.

A few moments pass and Shuffle finally found what he was looking for, a purple pad with Trixie’s logo on it and a box. He turned and handed both objects to her.

“It took me forever to get all this together, plus monogramming a logo on metal took some help, but dearest Trixie, may I present you with your own duel disk and deck!”

Trixie sat there, shocked; she had recently gotten into duel monsters, and since her boyfriend had been teaching her, she was over the moon, now that she had her own professional arc series duel disk. She lunged at him giving him a massive hug so tight, Shuffle actually could feel the curves that had developed on his favorite magician; that, and the lack of oxygen going to his brain wasn't helping too.

“OOOHTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUILOVEYOUSOMUCH!” Trixie squealed out, giving Shuffle a hard kiss. He didn’t complain, considering Trixie was almost on his lap.

By the time the two had separated, Shuffle was flush in the face and covered in so many dark blue lipstick marks that it was borderline comical.

“Take a look at the deck, I think you might like the lineup.”

Trixie nodded and removed the deck from its box, flipping it out and holding the entire deck like an eastern fan. As she peered through the deck, she noticed one in particular that caught her eye, and its name was Dark Magician, but something was off about this copy, it felt weirdly familiar.

Trixie sat there, meticulously reading and rereading each card, keeping a mental note on each card’s specific weight or feel, a nifty trick she picked up from the various card tricks she had mastered in her time as a stage magician.

“I think it's perfect, considering all of these monsters have some kind of synergy with Dark Magician. I can't wait to test it out.”

Trixie snuggled into Shuffle’s side as she continued prowling over her new deck and fiddling with her disk as Shuffle watched the next match in the arena.

Artemis Arrow and Aria Blaze made their way towards the Dueling field talking amongst themselves.

“I'm telling you Aria, if you've ever seen him duel, you would understand why he should be on our team.”

“All you said, Arrow, was that this Shuffle Suite could be a candidate for joining Team Venomous Choir. Besides, everyone else that we have suggested wasn't even able to touch out life points even once, what makes him different?”

“The fact that, right now, Zero texted me and said he was 7/1 in his win/loss ratio. And, on top of that, he single-handedly beat the team of Rainbow Dash and Applejack, plus all three of the CMC today alone.”

“That's impressive, true, but can he beat us?”

“If I had to guess, I’m willing to bet he could do it.”

The two went silent as they enter the arena, Arrow searching for Shuffle and Aria watching the duel unfold; being the leader of the team, she was always looking for new people to have to join her, but she was overly particular in her selection, as only the most skilled would make the grade.

Arrow finally spotted Shuffle sitting on the far side of the bleachers, and even from the distance, he could see he was enjoying quality time with Trixie. It bummed him out that he was going to have to interrupt them, but he was doing it for the sake of the team, so he quickly made his way around the field and approached the couple.

“Hey, Shuffle,” Arrow spoke, getting the attention of the couple.

“Wassup, Arrow?”

“Nothing much, I just have a proposal for you.”

“Sure, let it rip.”

Arrow took a second to compose himself.

“Well, Aria and I are putting together a dueling team, and since the field is going to get popular super fast, it might actually become a competitive sport that the school will pick up, so we wanted to test you in a duel. If we win, we might consider you for it, but if you win against us, you're on, no questions asked.”

“So, would it be a two on one, or do I need to find a partner?”

“It can be either or, knowing Aria she would like to take you on two on one to see how you react to two different strategies at once, but I can probably convince her otherwise.”

“Well, then Trixie looks like you’re going to be able to practice your new deck earlier than anticipated. If I need anyone as a partner I’d be glad if it was you.”

She stared at Artemis, and then Shuffle, then let put on a cocky smirk.

“Was there ever any doubt? This is gonna be fun!”

Shuffle chuckled, hugging Trixie from the side.

“Okay, when do you guys want to set up, later today or tomorrow?” Shuffle asked.

“I can see you two are busy right now anyway, plus I didn't bring my deck today, so we shall duel tomorrow afternoon after school.”

It was Trixie’s turn to intervene.

“Perfect, Trixie has a show tonight, and she can't do it without her number one assistant,” Trixie leans over and rummaged around in her backpack for a few minutes until she found two strips of paper.

“Here you go Artemis, think of this as a ‘Good luck’ present for tomorrow, you and Aria can come to see Shuffle and me in action.”

Arrow took the tickets and nodded, a silent thank you as he left to return to Aria.

“You do know Trixie expects you to play your best tomorrow right?”

“Yes love, and besides, we need you to get acquainted with your deck before then, so let's get moving; we have to set up for the show too.”

“And if we have time later, I have to give you your real thank you gift…” Trixie alluded, getting up from the bleachers and heading for the exit, a noticeable swing in her hips.

“Stupid sexy Trixie…”

Shuffle didn’t hesitate to get up and quickly follow her.

Artemis returned to Aria’s side, who was too enraptured in the duel currently going on.

“Hey Aria, after school tomorrow, he'll be ready for us.”

Aria nodded, returning her attention to the field. “I hope you’re right about this guy, Artemis.”

Artemis smiled; tomorrow was going to be interesting.

Author's Note:

Thanks for Reading Everypony Edits As Usual By Xeno, and Thanks to CosmicAlchemist for collaborating with me,