• Published 13th Jan 2019
  • 2,853 Views, 34 Comments

What Might Have Been: Celestia and Luna's Role Reversal - Mystic Sunrise



A what if exploring what Equestria might be like if Celestia and Luna had changed in different ways.

  • ...
19
 34
 2,853

Twilight and Starlight's Test

Twilight Sparkle wasn't nervous. Oh no. She wasn't nervous at all. She was perfectly fine. It wasn't like her entire future depended on this test. No. That would be silly!

Her tests so far to get into Luna's School for Gifted Ponies had been a breeze so far. In fact, they had been easy. From what she had heard, her marks were second only to Sunset Shimmer herself.

Twilight tried not to prance in place at the thought. It made feel all warm and fuzzy inside when she had heard that. But then had come a knockdown the lader.

Another filly, Starlight Glimmer, had begun to have the same scores as Twilight herself. In fact, they were currently tied on scores. Something that had never happened before in the history of the school.

With no other option, the proctors had decided to give them both the same test at the same time. So now here both of them were, with a dragon egg in between them. Their sole object was to move it in some way. Either together or by themselves.

Twilight looked over at Starlight. The light pink unicorn filly looked as nervous as Twilight felt. For a moment their eyes met, and something seemed to pass between them. Whatever it was, Twilight liked it and judging by Starlight's hesitant smile, so did she.

But that could wait for the moment as Twilight tried to concentrate on the egg before her. Dragons were known to be practically immune to the magic of any kind. In fact, nopony had ever been known to do much to a dragon. Let alone move it.

Whether that applied to their eggs as well, nopony knew that either. So this was more than just a test it seemed. It was an experiment to see what effect magic would have on a dragon's egg if any.

The thought alone made Twilight want to succeed. Not only to get into the school. But she would be helping advance magical knowledge at the same time. What could be better than that?

Plus it would give her something to horde over Shinny at the next Sibling Supreme. And with her run of bad luck in the challenge recently, Twilight needed all the help she could get.

Even with that said though, Twilight did wish her brother could be there for support today. But he had Royal Guard training to attend, and so he couldn't make it. Her parents though, Twilight Velvet and Night Light, were there and were giving her encouraging smiles.

Looking over again at Starlight, she could see that her dad, or so she thought, was doing the same to Starlight as well. And maybe it was her lack of sleep last night, but Twilight swore his smile bordered on the one you'd see on a comic book villain.

Not that she would ever say that of course. Judging by Starlight's eye roll, she saw it too and had become used to it by this point. Twilight did wonder where her mom was, but maybe she was just busy today?

No matter though. What she should be worrying about at this moment was the test before her. And as anypony who knew her could tell you, Twilight hated failing tests of any kind. Today was not going to be the day she flunked the biggest test of her life.

Lowering her horn, Twilight closed her eyes and concentrated on the egg before her.

***

Luna was bored. So far, none of the filly or colts she had met had stood out to her enough to possibly take on her student. None of them had anything wrong with them of course, but none of them had that spark she was looking for.

She sighed as she and her assistant left the room behind. "Who is next?" She asked.

Raven looked at her notes. "Only two are left. Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer. They are taking their final tests now. We had to have them take it together because their marks are exactly the same, and we had no time to come up with something for them."

Luna perked up at that at least. Twilight she knew of from Cadance, but Starlight Glimmer was new to her. She looked at the scores Raven was holding, and her eyes widened. "These marks..."

Raven nodded. "They're almost the same as Sunset's own when she applied. Individually they come a close second. In fact, they're tied as it is. But combined..."

Luna's brows shot up. "They leave Sunset Shimmer's behind them by a wide margin. I never thought that would be possible If I am being honest." She grinned goofily after a moment. "Oh, I can't wait to rub it in Tia's face when she wakes up."

Raven rolled her eyes as the two of them moved to the Exam Building. It was a well-known fact that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had a sibling rivalry going a mile wide, and it showed no end of ending any time soon.

Honestly, Raven spent as much time cleaning up the mess leftover from their constant prank wars as she did helping Luna keep track of everything and making sure Equestria ran like it was supposed to.

Some days, she wished for something new to happen, just to lighten the mood of Canterlot and the monotony of court life. It could be so boring.

At that exact moment, the sky exploded in a rainbow of colors that seemed to wash all over Equestria.

Luna let out a very unprincess like squeak of surprise as she jumped ten feet in the air in shock, a feeling that Raven was more than happy to return if she had wings that were. As it was, she nearly jumped out of her suit in fright, while her papers were sent flying in all directions.

Of course, as if that weren't enough, a dragon's head chose that exact moment to punch itself through the roof of the Exam Building. Despite its size and nature, the dragoness appeared as confused as everypony else was.

As if the universe had it out for Equestria, another dragoness soon pushed her way through what was left of the roof, her confusion showing as well as her sister.

Raven looked at them both in shock while also gathering up the scattered papers. "Since when did Canterlot have dragons? Let alone two of them?"

Luna was as confused as she was. Yet looking at the two before them, she saw something in their eyes that said there was more to it than she was seeing. "We don't. At least, we didn't. Unless the egg hatched."

Raven gave her a look. "How? That egg was dead. It's been dead for years. And even then, there was only one hatchling thought to be in it. Not two."

Luna rolled her eyes as she gestured at the two dragons before. "Do you want to go tell them that?" Raven shook her head. "I thought not. But I am going to find out what is going on around here."

***

By the time Luna arrived at the room where the test was being administered, she could feel the enormous amount of magic being thrown around at random. That it was coming from two different sources confirmed her fears.

Both Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer were flaring at the exact same time. It explained how the egg had hatched and why there were two dragons poking through the roof. Why there were two of them she didn't know, but that could wait.

As she looked through the door, she saw that both fillies were indeed in Magic Flares. To her shock though, it looked like both of their magics were harmonizing together. But that didn't make any sense.

Shaking her head, Luna ran into the room. To the side, she saw three potted plants lined up together. A quick pulse of magic confirmed that they were transfigured ponies, most likely the parents of Twilight and Starlight. They were fine for the moment. Off to the side, the exam proctors floated in a sphere of magic.

But Luna's first concern was the fillies. Neither could keep this up much longer before their bodies destroyed themselves from trying to handle too much magic too soon. And with the amount of magic being thrown around, it would destroy Canterlot and most of the mountain it was on if it wasn't stopped now.

With no other idea at hoof, Luna reached out and touched both fillies on the shoulder with a hoof, hoping to get their attention. It worked as both looked at her. She smiled gently, and it seemed to do the trick as the flare subsided and their eyes returned to normal.

As they did, the plants were returned to ponies, all of whom shook themselves vigorously. Celestia would be visiting them in the Dream Realm Luna thought with a chuckle as she looked at the dragons. With the magic gone, both soon shrunk down to hatchling size, both with a look of innocent curiosity as they nommed on their tails.

Looking back down to the fillies though, Twilight was the first to speak. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean too!"

Starlight nodded vigorously. "I don't know what happened. One minute, we're trying to hatch the egg, and then, boom! The whole world blows up."

Luna chuckled. "It's alright. I know neither of you meant to do that. The school needed a new roof anyway. And I am happy to say that both of you have passed the test."

That did little to ease Starlight and Twilight's fears as the two of them shared a look. "Are we in trouble Princess Luna?" Starlight asked.

Luna shook. "Of course not. You're not the first to do something like this, nor do I think you will be the last. But you both have powerful magic. More than I have seen in a long time. But you need to learn to control it."

Now Twilight and Starlight were really confused. "Huh?" Both asked.

Luna giggled. "I want to make you both my personal students here at the school. If you will have me that is?"

Now both fillies were really confused. Sharing a look, they looked over at their parents, who were nodding happily for them to accept. That was all they needed as they bounced as high as they could and shouted "Yes!"

Luna giggled at the adorable sight, but she also caught sight of something on both of their flanks. One that made her smile grow. "One other thing girls."

That brought Starlight and Twilight back to earth as they fell to the floor. "Huh?" Starlight asked.

Luna merely pointed at both of their flanks. When they looked, their eyes lit up in delight. A six-pointed starburst, surrounded by five smaller stars, now adorned Twilight's flanks, while Starlight's was more obscure, but it was magic for those who knew what to look for.

The two of them shared a happy grin. "Best," Starlight began.

"Day," Twilight added.

"EVER!" They finished together, ending with a hoof bump before both broke into happy giggles. One Luna was more than happy to join in a moment later.

Author's Note:

Yes. Yes, I did just have Twilight and Starlight take the same test. At the same exact time. Why? Because why not? Don't think that's been done before in a story. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes. I just screwed big time with Spike. Again because I could. Now there's two of her. Plus I feel it works better with Twilight and Starlight both doing it.