• Published 13th Jan 2019
  • 2,858 Views, 34 Comments

What Might Have Been: Celestia and Luna's Role Reversal - Mystic Sunrise



A what if exploring what Equestria might be like if Celestia and Luna had changed in different ways.

  • ...
19
 34
 2,858

Luna, Solar Goddess

In many versions of the world of Equus, the story of the sun and moon and the two immortals who have shepherded them for millennia is well known. This is not one such world.

Though some things have changed in the telling, and history has been changed as a result, some things have remained a constant. Such is the way of the multiverse sometimes.

Of course, there are as many variations on even this as there are worlds and universes with the same characteristics of Equus Prime. Some things of the Heart World will always be the same no matter what.

But that's getting ahead of the story now. Let us return to the story at hoof. We know the story of one world.

Now, let us see a world of what might have been.

***

Something tickling her nose was what woke Luna that morning. Half asleep as she was, she groaned irritably. Some days she wondered if it was worth just sleeping in five more minutes, to put her duties aside if just for a little bit.

Unfortunately for her, her constant companion had her own ways of making sure her mistress got up on time. Even on the days when she would rather not, and buck what anypony told her otherwise.

Luna felt a strand of her mane fall down into her face, and begin to tickle her nose. Just barely managing to keep her giggles in check, she blew the offending strand out of the way.

"Some days I hate it when you do that." She grumbled. All she heard in response was a distant giggle.

Grumbling some more she finally sat up in bed and stretched. Looking outside, she noticed it was still dark, and her clock told her she had just enough time to get ready before she and Celestia traded off duties for the day.

It was a simple enough job to be ready. There was a perk to being a goddess as she climbed out of bed. Her coat was a perfect sheen as she looked it, more out of a hope that it might one day be messy. It was never was.

Luna did not wear a crown, just a torc and hoof boots. It was also a result of who she was and her celestial duties. Her mane was a constant reminder of that as she looked at it.

It was a solid flame, that danced and waived with a life of its own. Despite that, however, Luna herself was never harmed by it. In fact, it had come to her defense several times in the past and discouraged those who were not immune to it to not get to close to her.

Of course, that had caused problems of its own in the past. Her rooms over the years had burst into flame more often than not, and she had never meant to. Her current room was now covered in so many wards to keep it safe that it drove some unicorns crazy when the looked at them.

Walking over to her balcony, she took in the crisp morning air and let her mind settle as she felt the moon settle beneath the far horizon. As it did, a part of her soul detached itself and flew out and, in effect, merged with the sun.

It had always been like this. For some reason, it always made their bond stronger.

As she felt the connection drive home, her horn ignited and the sun began to slowly rise. Despite what some had theorized, it was not just a simple Levitation spell, but far more.

Luna though had never been able to properly explain to those who had asked how she did it every morning and evening. It just came naturally to her.

Unicorns had done it once, many centuries ago now. But as far as she knew, it had never been as easy for them as it was for her. Not even Starswirl or Mage Meadowbrook had been able to explain it. And Starswirl himself knew them as well as many did.

Of course, when Luna had first raised the sun, it had thrown everypony for a loop, Luna herself included. Many at the time, their parents including, had believed that Celestia herself would one day have a connection of some kind with the sun, and Luna the same with the moon.

Even the two of them had thought the same. Their names reflected this as well. But with the changes that had occurred, neither she nor Celestia had ever truly been bothered by what they had now. They had each other, and that was all that mattered to them.

Some days though, Luna wondered what it might have been like had her and Tia's destinies been reversed. Of course, she loved the sun and the bond they shared. But sometimes she wondered what Equestria might have been like had things been different all those years ago.

Starswirl himself had wondered the same. Luna and Celestia often thought of their old teacher. They never had discovered what had happened to him or any of the other Pillars. Neither of them thought for a moment they had been killed for they were all too good for that. Maybe one day the answer would be found. Luna hoped so.

She and Tia had overdue assignments they had never turned in!

Chuckling at the thought, she let her mind wander a bit. Her earlier musings had dragged up another old annoyance of hers and Tia. At the time when both had made their connections to the sun and moon, many had thought they should change their names to reflect their new duties.

Their cutie marks certainly didn't match their names anymore.

Neither one of them had of course. Yes, they no longer fit, but their names had been given by their parents, and it was all they had of them now besides their foalhood memories. So no, they would not change them no matter how many said they should.

As she felt her soul be complete again, Luna let her mind go over what was to come today. It was the time for the Entrance Exams at the School for Gifted Ponies and she would need to be there for that.

Though it was mainly for show, there was always the chance that somepony could catch her eye, and she would make him or her personal student. Tia had her own in Sunset Shimmer, and it had been some time since Luna herself had one.

Maybe this year would be different. She could always hope. Her niece Cadance seemed interested in one, Twilight Sparkle if she remembered right. A filly she had sat for some time now. The filly was now old enough to take the exam.

Luna would look out for her for sure.

As she turned to leave her room, nodding to the two guard mares posted outside, her mind returned to that day so long ago when everything had changed for her.

It had begun so well as well.

***

Luna was shocked. Seriously, this made her top ten list of the strangest things she could ever remember seeing in her life, and she had seen some strange and crazy things.

She and Celestia had awoken that morning to almost complete darkness covering Equestria. Only the moon provided what light there was. The sun was nowhere to be found. Just as the two of them had been wondering what had caused this, they had heard the familiar jingling of bells approaching the castle.

Teleporting to the front gates, they had found their mentor and their second shock. While Star Swirl looked physically as young as ever, his beard on the other hoof.

"Master Star Swirl. Your beard. It's so. So." Celestia couldn't bring herself to finish the thought, but Luna was more than happy to.

"It's so grey!" She exclaimed as she poked it.

Celestia shot her a glare. "Luna!"

Luna was unapologetic as she stuck her tongue out at her. "What? It is."

Celestia sighed as she looked back at their teacher. "Where could you have gone to cause this Star Swirl? Was it your Time Travel spell?"

Star Swirl shook his head. "I wish I could say it was Celestia, but the spell had nothing to do with this. It happened when I tried to raise the sun."

Celestia and Luna shared a look. Both knew that six unicorns were needed every day and night to raise and set the sun and moon. Star Swirl was always one who did both.

He saw the questions they had and continued. "But it takes a powerful amount of magic, and unicorns who volunteer can only do it for a short time before their magic is depleted. Forever."

He looked at the night sky. "I've been the only one with magic strong enough to withstand the process day in and day out, night after night."

He looked back at them. "Ten other unicorns are constantly needed to offer up their magic as a sacrifice for all of Equestria. This morning we ran out of full-grown unicorns with magical abilities and were able to perform the task."

Star Swirl snorted. "When I tried to do it myself, my magic was depleted and my beard turned grey."

Luna and Celestia shared a mortified look. Why hadn't anypony told them sooner that this was happening to the unicorns, to their teacher? And what could they do to help?

Star Swirl's eyes brightened after a moment as a thought came to him. As they all knew, alicorns possessed a level of magic far beyond anything a unicorn could ever imagine. Raising the sun and moon wouldn't harm them. In fact, if the myths were true, it would actually rejuvenate them and make them that much more powerful.

"Celestia, Luna. As princesses of Equestria, would the two of you be willing to be the new guardians of the sun and moon?" He asked.

Luna and Celestia shared a nervous look. Star Swirl had never taught them how to do that! Now that he had no magic, he couldn't either.

He just smiled, guessing their thoughts. "I don't need to teach you how. You both already know."

That was all they needed to hear. Giving each other an encouraging smile, Celestia and Luna spread their wings and took to the skies. Not knowing how or why, Luna reached out with her magic, looking for the sun. To her surprise, she felt the sun reach out for her, looking for her magic.

When they finally met, the sun's magic and Luna's magic mingled before intertwining with each other. As she felt this, Luna felt her horn glow with the sun's power. It was warm, regal, loving. It made her feel loved in a way that made her giddy with excitement.

As the connection was forged, Luna looked to the east and coaxed the sun to rise. It was a magical feeling as she felt the heavenly body begin to rise. Luna suddenly felt complete, as if she'd always been meant to do this.

Opening her eyes as she landed, she saw that Tia now had a crescent moon cutie mark, the black splotches standing out against her white coat. She was also grinning at her.

When Luna looked at her flank, her face also split into a huge grin. On her flank was the sun in glory. It only solidified what she had done.

Best day ever! she thought.

Author's Note:

And just to be sure I don't forget what Luna looks like in this universe, and for those who can't see it in their heads based on my description. Here she is. In all of her Sun Goddess glory.