• Published 14th Jan 2019
  • 3,135 Views, 110 Comments

A Do-Over - Pip232



After an accident injures Scootaloo, her only hope for survival lies with Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
3
 110
 3,135

5: Soothing a Sad Rainbow

Rainbow Dash crashed in through the doors, skidding to a halt in front of Big Macintosh. “Where’s Scootaloo? Is she alright?” She asked frantically. She wasn’t crying, she was still in a state of shock. Applejack’s news was starting to take root in her mind, but another part of her refused to let it fully register.

When Apple Bloom saw the desperate look on her face she sniffled and hesitantly let go of her older brother, wiping her eyes dry. She wanted to keep holding on to him, but she knew Rainbow needed his calming presence more than she did. “No, she ain’t. She’s in the operating room and they’re doing the best they can.”

“What happened?” Rainbow’s voice was quiet and fragile. The Apple siblings could tell she was slowly processing the situation and was holding back a rising tide of sadness. “I need to know.”

The youngest of the siblings was the first to talk. “It was supposed to just be a boring apple-hauling job with the chance at a cutie mark, but Big Mac’s wagon came loose and, and Ah froze up.” There was a deep tone of shame in her voice when she admitted this. “Scootaloo didn’t, but instead of saving herself she shoved me outta the way.” There was a pause and she knew she couldn’t stop now. “The wagon hit her dead on and Big Mac pulled her out and we brought her here.”

She looked at the floor, her wings drooping, closing her eyes and choking back her sadness, fighting to keep the tears from falling. Her teeth were clenched and every muscle was tensed, but she soon felt two powerful limbs encircle her and pull her in. Opening her eyes she saw her face pressed against the eldest Apple’s chest. She looked up and saw the look in his eyes.

They were soft, green, but she could see the sadness she felt reflected in them. “Let it out. Bottling it up will only make it worse.” He gently began to rub her back with one of his hooves and rested his head on top of hers, holding Rainbow Dash close to his body. “Ain’t nobody gonna think any less of you.”

That wasn’t why she was fighting her tears. Sure crying and bawling like a foal would be uncool, but she was trying to believe Scootaloo would come out alive and well any time now and would want her older sister’s comfort. But when she thought of what Apple Bloom told her she realized how stupid that was. If she was injured to the point she was in the operating room then there was no chance of her just walking out of there.

She began to cry as her self-control failed her. She soon found herself crying into the stallion’s chest while he held her. The thought of Scootaloo being hurt and being unable to do anything about it made her feel utterly helpless.

Big Macintosh didn’t mind giving her an emotional rock to cling to. He rubbed small circles on her back, prepared to comfort her for as long as she needed. “We’re all here for you.” He gently rumbled.

Rainbow held back a sob, clutching tight onto him. She felt a second, smaller pair of forelegs encircling her barrel. She turned her head to see Apple Bloom hugging her, too.

She saw Apple Bloom's sad expression and gently wrapped one of her wings around her, not quite willing to let go of Big Macintosh.


Applejack arrived at Twilight’s castle, not bothering to knock. She pushed the door open, letting herself in. While it was rude to enter uninvited, time was of the essence. She checked the kitchen, the throne room, and didn’t find her friend in either of them. She checked the library and facehoofed, knowing she should’ve started there. There was the pony she was looking for, curled up with what she imagined was a good book. “Twi, Ah need your help right now.”

Twilight immediately levitated a bookmark into the novel and set it aside. As soon as she looked up she saw her friend’s dejected expression and knew something terrible had happened “What’s wrong? Are you okay?” Twilight asked, getting up.

Applejack proceeded to tell her the situation. “Ah’m hoping that you have something that can help Scootaloo. Some sorta spell, potion, anything. She’s at the hospital but Ah ain’t gonna stop trying to find ways to help her out until she’s all better.”

She sighed and shook her head. “I’m afraid I can’t help her. It takes years to learn complex medical magic like that, and I just don't know it.” She said apologetically, unable to meet her friend’s gaze.

“Ah'll see if Zecora can't whip up something helpful, you see if you can find anything." With that, Applejack ran out of the castle and headed towards the Everfree.