• Published 14th Jan 2019
  • 3,137 Views, 110 Comments

A Do-Over - Pip232



After an accident injures Scootaloo, her only hope for survival lies with Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
3
 110
 3,137

1: The Accident

Cutie Mark Crusaders Apple Haulers sounded like such a good idea at the time. Helping the Apple family, making some bits, food along the way, and the potential for a cutie mark, what more could Scootaloo ask for? As it turned out a lighter load, a cooler day, more cloud cover, for Sweetie Belle to be with them, and to stop sweating like a pig. The young pegasus held her complaints though. She’d already eaten lunch with them, so she was going to uphold her end of the bargain.

Sweetie Belle had been roped into modeling some dresses for Rarity, so she wasn't able to take part in this one. Scootaloo was pulling a cart attached to her by a harness and a length of rope so she could maneuver more freely. However, the harness was chafing her sides and it forced her to keep her wings folded tightly to her sides.

They had yet to make it out of Sweet Apple Acres, and Scootaloo was already regretting her decision, but she supposed it could be worse. She could be Applejack or Big Macintosh, who were both pulling carts of apples that looked like neither of them should be able to move, yet they were.

She turned her attention to Apple Bloom, who was humming a tune to herself. “How do you do this every day? It’s miserable.”

“Eh, ya get used to it.” Apple Bloom shrugged off her comment. "But we haul ‘em like this for a reason. Our apples will keep in the market, and this way we get them all in one go.” As she talked they started heading up a hill, and the workload immediately increased.

The cart Scootaloo was pulling was the smallest, but it was by no means light and every moment on this incline it was trying to pull her down. She dug in her hooves as she worked to pull it forward. She looked to her side, seeing Apple Bloom pulling hers without any discernible effort.

Scootaloo could hear creaking and crackling in front of them. “What’s that sound?” She asked, looking ahead at Big Macintosh. He’d gotten his wagon stuck in a rut and was struggling to get it out, lurching forward and grunting with effort.

“Don’t force it, just back up a little, then run forward and you’ll get it over the gap.” Applejack told him.

He nodded and carefully backed up. When he had gone back a few feet he charged up the hill. When the front wheel hit the rut there was a cracking noise and he lurched forward, a resistance gone from his movement. Horror quickly filled him as he realized he was no longer hitched to the wagon. He wheeled around and tried to grab some part of it but it was out of his reach and it went barreling down the hill. “Run!” He called below

“Get outta the way!” Applejack frantically shouted at them.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo’s eyes widened and their pupils shrunk to pinpricks as it approached. The wagon barreled down at them, picking up speed as it went. She turned, and with all her might she shoved Apple Bloom, the earth pony moving away from her. It wasn’t much, but enough.

Scootaloo lost her footing as her cart pulled her down the hill. Her body skidded across the dirt, hitting a rock along the way. She grunted and the cart she was pulling smashed into a tree. She looked up to see the loaded wagon barreling at her. A bright light filled her eyes and images began to fill her vision.

The last thing she was fully aware of was screaming as it hit her dead on. It crashed into her and sent her colliding with the cart she’d been pulling with a crunch of bone and wood.


“SCOOTALOO!” Big Macintosh shouted, turning to Applejack. “Get to the hospital, get ‘em ready!” He told her before turning his attention back to the filly. He threw off his harness and charged down the hill.

When he got to the wagon he tried to push it forward, but it wouldn’t budge, his hooves slipping on the wood. Turning around he bucked it, moving it a small distance. Scrambling back he managed to get a good grip on it now. His hooves dug into the ground as he pushed, moving it just enough to get Scootaloo out of there.

He reached in and grabbed her neck with his teeth and pulled her out, grimacing at what he saw. He wasn't a doctor, but he knew ponies weren’t supposed to be that limp and flexible. Big Macintosh set her on his back and went to Apple Bloom. “Get on, now.” When she didn’t move he grabbed her and put her on his back too. “Hold her still.” He instructed before taking off towards the hospital.


Applejack immediately started the rest of the way up the hill. As soon as she was on the flat ground she unhitched herself from the wagon and took off towards the hospital at a dead sprint. Her hooves barely made contact with the ground as she sped through Ponyville. She couldn’t stop replaying that scene in her mind: Scootaloo shoving Apple Bloom out of the way, them both skidding back, and the runaway wagon crushing her.

She shuddered to think what would’ve happened if she hadn’t pushed Apple Bloom like that, but now it was time for her to repay Scootaloo by getting to the hospital and having them be ready.

Author's Note:

This story is set after Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep but before Crusaders of the Lost Mark.

I decided to get the accident done quickly and not beat around the bush. Buckle up kiddies it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.