• Published 12th Jan 2019
  • 7,761 Views, 1,071 Comments

Undead Robot Bug Crusaders: Unusual Lives - Banjo64



The continuing misadventures of the Undead Robot Bug Crusaders

  • ...
9
 1,071
 7,761

Chapter 12.5 Anything that can go wrong...

There were three opinions ponies tended to have about Murphy Law. Those who only heard of him knew he was a rather infamous lawyer. Those who met him tended to feel their lives were that much more pleasant before having done so. And then there were those who considered him to be Faust’s own gift to the world. Once he had the chance to prove himself, the masses would sing his praise and glory.

This third opinion was held by a single pony: Murphy Law himself, as even his own mother had accepted that she must have been one of the worst parents in history for her child to grow up into Murphy Law.

Heck, Murphy Law was still the only citizen of Ponyville that Pinkie didn’t throw a welcome-to-Ponyville party for. When asked about this, Pinkie would only declare him “a waste of a perfectly good party.” Murphy Law considered this a badge of honor.

And all of that failed to take into account the fact that wherever Murphy went, bad things tended to happen to those around him. Murphy always denied it existed, and while many a vengeance seeking pony (and griffon) had tried to prove this aura of misfortune’s existence to get the stallion arrested, nothing had stuck yet. Unfortunately.

Officially, Murphy lived in Ponyville as the town’s sole practicing attorney. It wasn’t because he felt business was good in the area, but because of how little effort the job actually required. As a result of him being the only local representative attorney, the number of ponies willing to take petty grievances to court dropped significantly. This was the only reason the mayor hired him in the first place.

But Murphy Law didn’t just work for Ponyville. If anyone was unwise or uniformed enough to seek his service, his door was always open. Well, for a sizable fee of course.

“Alright Miss… Polomare. You have a grievance with one... Rarity?” said Murphy Law as he looked over the paperwork.

“That’s right. She did me dirty, and I want compensation for it, ‘kay?” said Suri Polomare.

“Hm… stealing designs, and use of a material you invented? I would say there’s grounds for a lawsuit here, if it weren’t for the fact you never filed a patent for either. In fact, from this ‘evidence’ you’ve provided, I can’t help but suspect that if Rarity had filed for the patents before entering that contest, your flank would have been sued to the Crystal Empire and back,” said Murphy Law.

“But she didn’t. Nopony can prove she designed them first, and I’m hiring you to spin it so that I get some of that glory for myself, ‘kay?” said Suri.

“Spin it? I may be good at my job, but I can’t squeeze water from a rock. Even assuming Rarity hasn’t filled those patents since the incident, you really have no ground to stand on. The most I can claim is slander after the contest, and unless she’s been going around spreading lies I don’t have anything there, either,” said Murphy Law.

“Oh for the love of… you’re just like every other lawyer I’ve spoken with! ‘Technically’ this and ‘unreasonable’ that! It’s your job to twist the law in a way that benefits me! I’m paying you to make something of it! Now help me sue that ***** or I’m taking my money and leaving!” cried Suri.

Murphy Law permitted himself a chuckle. He had her now.

“Really? You came all the way to the hometown of the pony you want to sue just to hire me on a whim? No, you came here because you need the best pony for the job, and if I can’t do it, nopony can,” said Murphy Law.

“Best? Please, I just came here because no lawyer in Manehattan was willing to take my case. Or Canterlot, or Trottingham, or anywhere else. You’re my last resort, pal. Don’t think I’m here because I want to, ‘kay?” said Suri with a snort.

“Well, regardless of your inability to recognize true talent, the fact remains that I’m your only option. Now do you want to file that lawsuit or not?” asked Murphy.

“Depends. You gonna make sure I win?” asked Suri.

“Give me more details, and I’ll see if I have anything to work with,” answered Murphy.

As Suri began to rant about how much she hated Rarity, Murphy Law held back a grin. He’d managed to get the client blabbering so he could raise his consultation fee. Whether he took the case or not, this was going to be quite profitable.

But, all things considered, he probably would. If that bit about Suri’s assistant quitting because of Rarity was true, he might actually have a case here.

Fifteen minutes later, Suri walked out of Murphy Law’s office with a sneer on her face. It would be short lived, as she tripped and fell into a mud puddle. Alas, or perhaps fortunately, working with Murphy Law did nothing to protect one from the misfortune of his mere presence.


Murphy Law, to his credit, knew he was doomed the moment he stepped into the courtroom. But he was too professional to just bail out at the first sign of trouble. The fact that the only exit was blocked by his client, who was giving him an angry glare, had nothing to do with it. Absolutely nothing.

And Suri, to her credit, had enough self awareness from a lifetime of stealing others’ ideas to keep her angry rant to herself until they were seated. Unfortunately, she had plenty to rant about, and good reason to do so.

“Why didn’t you tell me that Rarity’s some big national hero?!” Suri whispered in an angry tone.

“How the hay did you not know that?” replied Murphy Law.

“I’m a busy mare! I can’t be bothered to learn every minor detail of Equestria,” said Suri.

“I’d think the current status of the pony you’re trying to sue wouldn't be considered minor,” snarked Murphy Law.

“How the buck was I supposed to know it would end up like this?! I’d never have tried to sue her if I knew it would lead us here!” said Suri.

Here being the royal courtroom. Celestia had ordered that, should any grievance be brought up against Equestria’s heroes, it would be trialed fairly under the most talented, strict, and perceptive judge in the nation: Karmic Justice.

Murphy had never met Justice, but he’d heard of her. And judging from the angry glare Justice was sending his way, she’d also heard of him. It was probably safe to say that many of his more… sly methods to win a case would not be viable this time.

“Well, we’re here now. Whining about how rigged the court is against us won’t solve anything,” replied Murphy Law.

“I know. How are we supposed to frame Rarity for anything with that vulture watching us?” asked Suri.

“That’s what you paid me to do. Now shut up, I need to put together a plan,” said Murphy Law.

Murphy looked over his documents. Plan A was now dead on arrival. A lesser, easily persuaded judge might fall for the “stole her assistant away from her” bit, but not a withered old stonewall like Justice. Especially considering Miss Pommel’s own testimony, whom Murphy would not be able to prevent from speaking. That just left Plan B, because a professional like him need not waste time planning beyond a single misstep.

A few minutes later the gallery finally filled up, and Justice banged her gavel.

“Court is now in session for Suri Polomare vs Rarity Belle. Have the defense and prosecution both prepared their arguments?” asked Karmic Justice.

“The defense is ready, your honor,” said the defence attorney with some stupid bird based name Murphy couldn’t have been bothered to learn.

“The prosecution is also ready, your most honorable, and beautiful, ladyship,” said Murphy Law.

“If that was an attempt at flattery, kindly save your breath and the court’s time. Now please present your case,” ordered Karmic Justice.

Though a little thrown off by Justice’s scolding, Murphy Law cleared his throat and adjusted his tie. Time for him to utilize one the most genuine and versatile tools in a lawyer’s arsenal: If you had nothing solid to present, make stuff up until something stuck.

“Well, first of all your honor…”


One hour later…


“...indeed, one cannot ignore the facts. There is simply nothing to debate!” declared Murphy Law.

He paused to take a sip of water. As he did, he peeked at his audience. The crowd was speechless, staring at him in total amazement. Victory was certain to be his. He finished his drink, cleared his throat, and continued.

“Why, it would completely idiotic to…”


Another hour later...


“...which, when one takes into consideration the circumstances, cannot be denied to…”


One more hour, twelve minutes, and twenty-seven seconds later...


“...and in conclusion, my client feels that this behavior was unacceptable and expects to be compensated accordingly,” finished Murphy Law.

It must have been one of his greatest performances. The entire courtroom was silent for several minutes as the crowd looked at him in awe. Indeed, even Rarity had her face buried in her hooves, shaking uncontrollably.

“Well, I must say, this is certainly a novel experience for me,” said Karmic Justice.

Murphy Law looked towards the judge with a confident smirk. The smirk did not last long when he noticed her deadpan glare.

“I never would have thought I’d witness such utter incompetence in my courtroom, but I suppose we do live in interesting times. If a few more Princesses can become part of our fair nation, I must be willing to accept that such stupidity is capable of making it’s way this far through the legal system. Indeed, what I just heard was the most pointless stack of drivel I’ve ever heard in my entire career,” declared Justice.

Murphy Law would later deny that he’d blushed in embarrassment upon hearing this. The photos in the newspapers were clearly edited to slander him.

“Not a single sentence in your needlessly lengthy presentation was even remotely relevant to the matter at hoof. Everypony in this courtroom is now dumber from having listened to it. I will not regard any of your rambling nonsense to be worth taking into even the slightest consideration for this case. And if that is truly all you have to present, then I must ask Celestia to have mercy upon your poor, pitiful soul, for I have none to spare,” said Justice.

At this point, Rarity lost control and started laughing hysterically. Justice gave her an annoyed look, but waited patiently for her to finish. A bit unprofessional perhaps, but even Justice could admit this sort of insanity certainly merited such a reaction. Suri, meanwhile, was also losing her composition. Her face had turned a rather fetching shade of red as her anger started to boil over.

“So, I must ask again: do you have anything of relevance to this case to present to this court? Anything at all?” asked Justice.

Murphy Law was silent for a moment, took the opportunity to flip through his documents one last time, then turned toward Suri and shrugged.

“Eh, can’t win them all,” he declared.


Murphy Law was Faust’s own gift to the world. He knew this beyond a doubt, and just needed to prove it. The fact that he’d never had a repeat customer in his life meant nothing. The argument that almost every client he’d represented had threatened to sue him after the trial meant even less. After all, none of them had actually sued him. The little detail that his clients never had the money for a second lawsuit after his subpar and overpriced performances was irrelevant to this fact.

The “contempt of court” charge, however, was a little harder to ignore.

Author's Note:

Whew. Finally back in the game. And this didn't turn into another full year hiatus!

Barely.

I think we can all agree it's been a rough... well, more than a year at this point. And aside from that, I've been busy with a non-pony writing project. So... yeah. This chapter's late, Even by my standards.

But while I don't have too much to put up just yet, I can assure you all that I've still been writing. I've got four or so half written chapters at this point. Hopefully I'll be able to post more regularly for at least the near future, but we'll see.

Also, another chapter's just about done. I'll put it up tomorrow so it's clear I'm not just back for an April Fool's day joke. I wrote and posted something else for that.