• Published 12th Jan 2019
  • 3,000 Views, 106 Comments

Per Speculum in Aenigmate - Shrouded Lunes



Sunset Shimmer has a plan... steal some powerful Equestrian artifact, come back to the Human World, raise an army, and conquer Equestria. But now, her home is nothing like she remembers.

  • ...
5
 106
 3,000

I Dream of... Daybreaker?!

I stretched my arms out and rolled my back, letting out a loud, moaning yawn. Another day dawned, meaning another chance to plot my revenge. I quickly made my way down the loft ladder and made to get ready for the day. Though, it was a bit confusing... even though I knew it to be winter, the day seemed unseasonably warm. I guess this world just had little flukes like that from time to time. Not like I'd be without my trusty jacket for warmth if the weather started to turn.

With my morning routine finished, I stepped out the front door of my housing complex and shielded my eyes from the sun, already burning bright and high in the sky. I couldn't help but chuckle slightly at the sight of the moon, still hanging low in the sky. Back home, something like that might have instilled a sense of fear among my fellow ponies. Rumors of Nightmare Moon's return spreading like wildfire, claims of her refusal to cede the sky. But here? In this world, it was just a matter of science and facts. Some days, the moon didn't set until after the sun rose. It was a bit unusual that I could just make out the shape of the Mare in the Moon, but no matter. Maybe it was just my way of seeing the bunny they claim to see in Neighpon.

"Sunset! Baby girl! Wait up!"

'Huh?!'

I looked around in confusion, trying to find the baritone voice that had called out to me.

'Did... Did someone just call me baby girl?! Who dared call me that?!'

I finally noticed a well dressed, grey-skinned man running up to me, his teal-streaked black hair tied back in a light pony tail. What struck me the most was his cyan eyes, so much like my own...

"Yes Daddy?"

I froze as the words escaped my lips. I never knew my father, always just figured he was some deadbeat loser. All Mom ever mentioned of him was that he was a really powerful unicorn. Certainly would explain where my power came from, at least.

"You and your mother both left in such a rush this morning, you forgot your lunch." I noticed for the first time that he was offering me a brown paper bag with my name on it.

"Thanks Daddy." I shivered internally again as I took the bag with a schoolfilly giggle. "Not sure what I would do if you weren't looking out for me some mornings."

"No problem, dear. Just... be careful what you say around your mom today. She... She seems to be in a bit of a foul mood for some reason."

I nod and head back to making my way to school.

'That was odd...'


'Sunset Shimmer, please report to Principal Celestia's office. Sunset Shimmer, please report to Principal Celestia's office.'

'Huh... Wonder what they're trying to pin on me today...'

I chuckled softly to myself as I made my way to Celestia's office. No matter what they were accusing me of, I was certain it wasn't actually my doing. And if it was, well... I shouldn't have that hard of a time convincing the Principal that it wasn't my doing. Vice Principal Luna, however, was a mare of a different tail. I reached up and knocked on her door.

"Come in!"

Her voice was a bit more clipped than usual, but that didn't really phase me too much as I pushed the door open.

"Principal Celestia, you called for me?"

'Sweet Celestia, did you forget to switch off the heat today, Principal?'

I resisted the urge to shrug off my jacket as I stepped into the office. If Celestia wanted to try some sort of ridiculous power move she'd read about in 'Monthly Principal', or whatever magazine she was reading these days, I wasn't about to give in to her.

"How kind of you to come home, Sunset."

"Home? I... I don't understand what you're talking about." I took a half step back as my fight or flight instincts started to trigger. There was something very wrong about this. Also, was I imagining things, or did it seem like there flames flickering out from the edges of Celestia's chair?

"Now now, my dear daughter. Don't be like that. Surely you've realized by now..."

I stepped back again. I could clearly feel the situation devolving into a battle I did NOT want to fight.

"Legend has it, on the shortest day of the thousandth year..."

'No, that's not right. I remember the Mare in the Moon prophecy. It was the longest day, wasn't it?'

"...a fiery sun set shall return, unlocking her prison."

'This... this is all wrong...'

I froze in my spot as Celestia's chair turned around. But, in stead of the kind, slightly naive Principal I was use to, someone else sat in her chair. Her whites of her eyes had become an ashen black, while her irises burned a bright yellow and red. Her hair swirled around her in the non-existent wind, burning as though on fire.

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you, dear Sunny. Soon, my plans can begin anew."

I screamed...


I was still screaming as I rolled out of my bed and hit the stone floor of Canterlot Castle in a cold sweat. I took a few moments to calm my breathing, my hoof to my chest, as my mind started to process what had just happened.

"Just... Just a nightmare..."

I felt my body calm as I got back onto my hooves and went straight for the book shelves in the room. That dream had been to vivid, the details still sticking clearly in my mind. I remembered the legend of the Mare in the Moon. And the legend I heard in the dream seemed so similar to it. If someone where to be locked away on the sun instead... and since Celestia was always known as the one who raised the sun, even if she did raise both the sun and the moon...

I needed more information, needed a better understanding of this Equestria. And, from the sounds of things, I didn't have long. Only two days remained until the portal closed again for another thirty moons. And if I didn't make it back through the portal by then... there were only another ten or so days until the shortest day and the Midwinter Moon Festival.


Unnoticed by Sunset, who had chosen to bury her muzzle into the various books that Princess Luna had personally chosen to be left in the old student dorm room, a shadowy figure quietly closed the door to retreat to their room. The pieces of the prophecy were starting to fall into place beautifully. It was only a matter of time now before Daybreaker was released from her prison. The Knights of the Sun would surely be ready for her glorious return. It was time for the Royals to finish preparing.

Author's Note:

Little bit of planning and publishing clean-up... I'd mentioned in a previous comment that I was looking to start a MWF posting of new chapters for the series... and, as I'm sure you've noticed, Monday came and went without a new chapter. *Nervously wrings hooves* Well, there was a slight misspeak when I said that. Thing is, I'm rather nocturnal... mostly because I have a Monday through Friday third shift (11pm to 7am) job which is where I tend to do a lot of my writing and editing (and reading) since I usually have a lot of down time. So, my plan was to publish new chapters after having a bit of time to review them (and work on more) at work. Meaning, a "Monday" posting would actually be around 7am EST Tuesday. I hope you all don't mind too terribly much. Next chapter should be up circa 0700 EST Thursday. See y'all then!

Also, props to those who figure out who Sunset Shimmer's Daddy is. The color palette, I think, might require a bit of Google searching / Comic knowledge. But, it does give a bit of an additional subconscious reason for Sunset's hatred of Cadence.

Oops. I think I just gave away the answer. :derpytongue2: