• Published 12th Jan 2019
  • 2,995 Views, 106 Comments

Per Speculum in Aenigmate - Shrouded Lunes



Sunset Shimmer has a plan... steal some powerful Equestrian artifact, come back to the Human World, raise an army, and conquer Equestria. But now, her home is nothing like she remembers.

  • ...
5
 106
 2,995

Journey to the Past [Flashback - Third Person]

Author's Note:

So, I decided to take that one comments to heart while I was looking for how I wanted to go about actually continuing this story and give a flashback chapter. Please, enjoy a short glimpse at the family life of High Princess Celestia, the little filly Princess Shimmer, and her father. Just know that I am not going to write the speech stiff and proper, as befitting a grander time before Celestia's banishment. I'm going to reserve that for providing a contrast between older patterns of speech and 'current' patterns of speech, if that makes sense. I doubt anyone wants to read a story of nothing by thees and thines. Plus, I *really* wanted to keep going with the fun of the musical story references for titles and this just fit that theme so perfectly. I do want to stress, the 'little Sun' we see in this flashback is NOT Prime!Sunset, it's Reddo!Sunset. Though, I should hope that much is obvious, given the wings. See everypony next chapter!

407th Year of the Diarchy
Two days err Nones, Fausry

"Princess, please. Stop running, your parents want your company for a formal dinner!"

A small blur of reds and oranges blast through the halls of the Castle of the Two Sisters, frantically twisting through the hairpin turns her aunt had insisted were necessary for defense. As far as the eight year old filly was concerned, they were nothing but hassles in her bid to escape the dreaded chief steward. Sundered Jolly certainly lived up to his name, sapping every bit of joy out of her day.

Turning the last corner, Sunset smiled as she could see the castle gates. It was pretty much a straight shot before she reached the more open courtyard, so she began to pump her tiny wings even harder to get that last burst of speed from them.

"Mother's Sun and Aunt Luna's Moon should be switching roles any second now..."

If there was one thing that Sunset truly enjoyed, it was hues of blue the world was dyed in as that magical ceremony took place. It didn't matter to her that it was nearing the end of winter, with a soft sheen of pure white snow still covering the castle grounds. Nor did the cold air bother her one bit, her inherent tie to the sun allowing her some semblance of added warmth on the coldest of days. Just as she was about to exit the halls, however, three large pillars of black smoke appeared suddenly in her vision. The sudden surprise caused her to stop quickly, landing on all four hooves with a grunt.

"Come along, my little Sun. Your Mother is waiting for you." Crown Prince Sombra's cyan eyes glinted with amusement as Sunset puffed out her cheeks.

"No fair, Daddy. I almost made it outside this time! Couldn't you have just let me have a few moments to enjoy the sunset?"

Sombra just shook his head slowly, careful not to upset his black and teal mane too much. "I'm afraid the Kirin delegates are very insistent that this time is the most important for meals and business dealings. Your poor Aunt has to handle the whole changing to the sun and moon on her own tonight because your Mother is already in talks." He took note of how her frown just seemed to grow in distaste at the thought of a formal dinner meeting. Those could go for hours, really cutting into her time to study under the stars. "Besides, weren't you the one looking forward to asking the Kirin about their... what was it again?"

Sunset's frown instantly vanished, replaced with a grin and eyes as wide as saucers. "Do you think they'll tell us the secrets of their vocal portals?!" Then, before Sombra could say another word, Sunset was off again, headed deeper into the castle. "Sundered Jolly! Captain Firefly! Have Mane Aspect meet me in my room! I need to get ready for dinner an hour ago!"

Sombra chuckles to himself. "At least now she'll attend the dinner."


"We trust the meeting went well, Sister?" Luna smiled as her sister's family approached, Sunset nestled onto Sombra's back. "We are terribly sorry that Our duties kept us occupied and unable to attend, but you know just how troublesome your Sun can be when it comes to being laid to rest for the night."

Celestia chuckled at the double meaning. "We're afraid that Our little Sun managed to wear herself out asking questions of the Kirin ambassador. She seems to have taken after you and Mother, with a love of studies and magical tinkering. We do hope dear Star Swirl will be able to temper that and calm her down some as she ages, lest she became a magical prodigy that uses her spells to fix everything.

Sombra nuzzled his sleeping filly's cheek. "It truly is a shame, as well. I know she was hoping to spend a few hours studying out under your stars this evening as well, as we have no major plans before court tomorrow. I realize this is asking a bit much, Princess..."

Luna held up a hoof. "Sister or Luna, please. None of this 'Princess' nonsense when we are alone, Sombra. You've been married to my sister for nigh on a decade now, how have you not picked up on this yet?"

Sombra just blushed, bowing his head slight and running a hoof through his mane. "Apologies, Prin- Sister. Some of Empress Amore's lessons on Statecraft are just a little too hard to break, even when only among family. But, if it's not too much trouble, could you make a particularly beautiful star show sometime soon? The ones that use the shooting stars, I mean. I know Sunset would enjoy it."

Luna beamed. Even if no one else enjoyed her night, the thought that her niece actively sought it out brought her such joy. "Of course, dear Brother. I'll keep an eye out for when she's out studying next."


22nd of Saddle (9 Days til the Midwinter Moon Festival)
Canterlot Castle - Royal Museum

I pulled my hoof off the painting with a small yelp. She'd had it all, the version of me from this universe, that is. Loving parents, the horn and wings, the title that went with them. It was only flashes, glimpses into her life that were hard to focus on at best and a complete blur at worst. But, somehow, just touching this painting had given me so much insight into who I was born to be... I came here looking for revenge, looking for a way to get back at my Celestia and rule. But, maybe, there was another way... The life I wanted was here, after all. It was almost handed to me on a silver platter. The only thing that truly held from me from it was my desire to return 'home'.

I looked over to the Princess-General, finding my vision a bit hazy from the warm tears. There would be no turning back if I replaced this universe's Sunset... but if even Celestia, overpowered with grief, crystal magic, and dark magic, was unable to get her back, I doubt nothing will. So, I let out a sigh and took the plunge. "I want to remember... I want to remember it all. C-Can you help me?"

Twilight smiled back at me, with a barely perceptible nod. "Of course, cous. I'm sure Mother would love any excuse to reminisce about your time at the old castle. Frankly, it will probably do her some good."

Comments ( 13 )

Nice to see a new chapter is up! A rather simple one, but offering some interesting glimpses into the past none the less. I’m curious what will Sunset learn from Luna In the Dark of the Night :twilightsmile:

9691830
I say this playfully and with all the love I can muster... I hate you right now. ROFL The only remaining song title chapter on the books was the next one (Learning to Do It)... But, not only did I get the song stuck in my head... I also got another chapter idea because of that joke.

9691837
Heh, sorry :twilightsheepish: To be fair, I have been playing that one on a loop for almost half an hour or so, so I wonder when (or even if?) will I get it out of my head. Anyway, glad to inspire you :moustache:

Yay, this story lives!

9692942
Yeah... like I mentioned in the blog post the other day, it's going to be posted a lot slower now than it was previously, but, fear not, it's not dead.

its alive!

Interesting concept here. Sunset is to face hard dilemma. Hopefully story will not be abandoned

PLOT TWIST! Sunset Shimmer is from this reality but due complications lost both her alicorn form and her memories.

Was it really cancelled? That'd suck if it was. This story is great and I love it so much so far.

I reread this story, still love it. I wish it wasn't cancelled because this is probably one of my favorite fics on the site so far, its definitely in the top ten not gonna lie.

Such a pity it had been abandoned..(

10604593
couple last chapters kinda going nowhere already.

Login or register to comment