• Published 16th Feb 2019
  • 1,454 Views, 276 Comments

Pandemic: Monsters We Make - Halira



Six years have passed since a pandemic transformed a quarter of the population of the United States into ponies. Magic has advanced far in that time, but its formerly human users will soon find that they have advanced too quickly and recklessly.

Comments ( 18 )

This was a nice chapter. The stuff with Luna and Tonya definitely felt like it could've been a chapter in and of itself. I hope all goes well with Jessie and she gets a relatively normal end to her childhood.

The ting is the push for accension is not just for the good of the world. The dragon is pushing it faster than it needs to be because she is lonely and just will not admit it.

the meeting that excluded luna is a mess waiting to happen because it is between people who have forgotten the fact that no one knows everything. They take actions that will be selfdestructive because they are sure that they can not miss anything. Hopefully tonya can instill in them the idea that they are not.

9932915
You're not wrong. It was starting to grow to be it's own chapter before Halira decided to chop it down and not go into a huge backstory for Triss/Joss.

There was a lot of things that have bigger implications for the bigger Pandemic universe in this epilogue. Seeing Bev again was a little surprising, and I'm interested in what her company might be doing. What Tonya-Arbiter is planning sounds like the internet on steroids, only it expands productive days for people like teachers or anyone who has to spend time negotiating. Her discussion of realms beyond their own also opens up a lot of questions. Think Phobia's speech gave subtle hints about the coming of the Devourers.

I did enjoy this story. It was far more focused than the previous outings, and at the end of it, despite the tragedy, it felt hopeful and happy. Jessie in particular felt like she embodies the magic of friendship.

everyone should think about how just because onl some people are visited by triss in a dream means only they are options to accend.
I see what triss doing as picking and choosing from a list that she feels will be the most useful for her and branching off as more and more are blocked from her and or regect her.

9932928
I see the exclusion of the meeting as having a deep concern about Luna and caring about her. I get some serious Celestia and Luna comparisons from Tried and Joss, and with Celestia being comparable to Celestia and Luna being comparable to Joss. If those similarities strike way too close to home it might make Luna doubt herself.

Nice finish to the story. If you write more then I look forward to reading them.

Thanks for the wonderful journey.

holy wow this really puts thing in to a all new light.

a grate story halira a totally awesome story.

"You might change your mind," Twilight said slowly. Strength was not what earned ascension,

And yet it only seems like the strong, or those chosen by those stronger get ascension.

Tonya seems to be a very different type of dreamwarden than the others. We can see that she has inherited a distrust of Triss and an obsession with the rules, but there is a major contrast in how she views herself. The other five seem to view themselves as enforcers, and anything else is secondary. Tonya seems to view herself as a servant first and enforcer second. It is even in the title that the Narrative gives her, Faithful Attendant. She is also the only one of the dreamwardens who has actually expressed religious beliefs. There are hints that Sha'am and Ghadab both have religious beliefs, but Tonya is the first to directly express after becoming dreamwarden a belief in some sort of god--although it seems to be a vague deist belief instead of a concrete belief system (she does express a belief in a benevolent creator and some sort of afterlife).


9941857

I would agree with this if not for Sunset Blessing. She is repeatedly mentioned as being very weak in magic, weak enough she is ashamed of how weak her magic is. Triss, Luna, and the dreamwardens all seem to recognize some potential for being a possible future alicorn in her even though she is weak. It can't be because they all want her to be an alicorn, because Luna and the dreamwardens both seemed very bothered by the prospect, but they admitted it was possible.

9942867
I did mention those chosen by the stronger. Because it seems like she would not ascend without Triss help who seems very annoyed to have been blocked at every turn in dealing with her when mentioned in previous parts.

The dreamwalker bits in recognizing it also come from knowing Triss has been actively trying to get Sunset Blessing to ascend, and I cannot imagine it's as natural as it would've been for Wild given Triss has to be blocked from doing what she's doing.

10065418
ah i thought wildy's full name was wild growth but thanks for the clarification!

10081809
Appreciate the review. I had a lot of parts that needed to be pulled together, as well as arcs to finish, and was happy with how it turned out.

10446782
To be fair, broken ribs during chest compressions is totally a thing that happens irl

Great story, it was deep and so much happened!
Very much liked.

This was quite the adventure from start to finish. It not only kept me riveted, but it kept me guessing. Just when I thought I had something figured out, the other shoe dropped. The entirety of the last arc was a barrage of emotions.

Login or register to comment