• Published 6th Aug 2012
  • 451 Views, 4 Comments

One long Summer - Psyco_brit



Bright spark and Book Smart are poler opposites force together over summer can they ever get on.

  • ...
 4
 451

Chapter one: Arrival

"This is your own fault you know". Bright Spark heard himself think.

He was standing outside what he thought was the library he would be staying throughout the summer. It was a tree or it had been at least once, but the inside had been hollowed out and inside was a huge selection of books on shelves. He was looking through a window working up the courage to got inside,

"How bad can it be, four months of studying and you can go back to university"

"Yeah But if we had studied in the first place brain, we wouldn't be in this mess" Bright Spark chuckled "OK now im talking to my brain, because thats not worrying at all." he sighed "I need to go inside now or I'm just going to drive myself mad." He checked his reflection in the window to make sure he was presentable.

Bright sparks light grey coat was pristine, and his long crimson mane neat and in order only his horn poked through, his blue eyes seamed to shine in the daylight, finally he checked his cutie mark, the four pointed gold star was unblemished. Bright spark sighed in relief, he had resolved to make a good first impression on Celestia's Star student, seeing how she was the one who would be deciding his fate.

He inhaled deeply and went to the door.

Knock Knock

The door opened, and to Bright spark's surprise a baby dragon stood before him.

"What do you want?" the dragon asked

"err... Twilight Sparkle?" Bright Spark asked rather confused, he had assumed his tutor would be another pony ... and a mare for that matter, but he never thought to ask Celestia when she told him about this arrangement.

The dragon looked at Bright spark curiously for a second and then burst out laughing.

"Hahaha, that's a good one." the dragon responded when he was done laughing "I'm Spike, I'm Twilight's number one assistant. Do you want to see her?"

"Yes thanks, She's supposed to be tutoring me over the summer I'm ..."

"Bright Spark" a voice for behind spike finished for him. Spike opened the door fully to reveal the unicorn mare standing behind him. Her coat was purple, it match her eyes, her mane a darker purple with one pinkish streak down the left " I have been expecting you, but your a little early and I'm not quite ready for today's lesson yet ,so I will just show you to your room" She took off up the stairs , Bright spark followed behind her levitating his luggage in an aura of crimson magic , she lead him to a door on the upper floor of the Library/tree and opened it.

Inside was a small room with two beds pressed up against opposite walls with a desk beside each one and one big window on the back wall.

"So I guess I'm rooming with spike then?" Bright spark said as he levitated his luggage to the nearest bed.

"what?... Oh no, Spike has a basket in my room that he sleeps in, your going to have a study buddy another pony I will be tutoring , she will be sharing a room with you, that's not a problem is it" twilight said innocently

"no problem, I share a room back on campus it will be fine" Bright Spark responded with a smile

"good the lesson starts in an hour so be downstairs by then, I will leave you to unpack" Twilight said before she took of down the stairs

"Well a room-mate, looks like I might not be trapped here alone after all ... wait did Twilight say she. So I'm going to be rooming with a mare my age hmmm."

"No brain don't go down that train of thought, that way lies madness" Bright Spark chuckled realising he had once again talked to his brain. "If I'm not mad already." He began to unpack

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With only ten minutes left till his first session with Twilight he headed down stairs, to his surprise the libary now had a chalkboard and three desks (one large, two smaller) sitting in the middle of the room, Twilight sat at the larger of the three desks .

"So that's what she needed to get ready"

"Ah Bright Spark Please take a seat" Twilight indicated towards one of the smaller desks in front of hers, and Bright Spark took the one on the left. he was about to ask where his room-mate was, when a Lime Green Blur shot through the door nearly knocking Bright Spark of his desk.

"Oh my Gosh I'm so sorry, I'm running late, do you know where I can find Twilight Sparkle" said the blur,

The blur had now come in to focus for Bright Spark, its was a mare, her coat was lime Green and her mane and tail were blond, her eyes (which were shielded behind a pair of eye glasses) were a very dark pink.

"not bad, not bad at all. Shut up Brain!"

Bright Spark somehow ignored the war going on in his head long enough to point a hoof at the lavender mare behind the large desk.

"Oh thank you" the mare said trotting over to Twilight.

"You must be Book Smart, We've been expecting you, That's Bright spark your new classmate for the summer" twilight said pointing a hoof at Bright Spark who had just noted something strange about the new mare in the room.

"uh Twilight ... She ... I mean Book Smart ... is an earth pony" Said Bright Spark confused "how is she going to perform magic?"

Twilight looked annoyed "Firstly Mr Spark you shall refer to me as Miss Sparkle During lesson hours, Which began two minutes ago and secondly Miss Smart here is Taking a strictly Theoretical magical course, so the university sent her here to leave me to judge weather or not she is competent enough to be admitted".

"seriously "Miss sparkle", even at the university we call our lecturers by their first names, and she can't be more then a year older then me at most, so what the heck is this about ... eh never mind she is probably just on a power trip I'm just gona roll with it"

"Sorry Miss Sparkle I was only curious" Bright Spark said unable to hide all of the sarcasm in his voice
Twilight failed to note it though so he was in the clear

"That's OK Bright Spark" She said appearing contented " Book Smart please take the seat next to your class mate please so we can begin"

Book smart did as she was told "Right away miss Sparkle" she said without hesitation

"Kiss flank" Thought Bright Spark

"OK class today we will simply be getting to know one and other, the real studying starts tomorrow." she said very formally as she lifted two folders of her desk "Lets start with you Bright Spark and your history"

Bright Spark opened his mouth to speak of his past , but was cut of when Twilight Started reading the contents of the folder, a folder with his name on.

"Oh Buck"

"You were born in Trottingham, where you lived with your mother and father. At the age of 4 you entered into Trottinghams private colt's school for the gifted and talented ... Very well done Mr Spark quite prestigious I understand, You were a model Student up to the age of eighteen When you left, your final grades being all A's and B's. Again very well done Mr Spark. You won a Scholarship to Princess Celestia's University which you have been in attendance for a year now, and your final results for the year were ... oh." she looked at the paper in her telekinetic field .

"This is what I was scared of"

"I see now why the princess wants me to tutor you, with the exception of your practical magic, you got D's in all of your other subjects"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book Smart looked at the Stallion shift uncomfortably in his seat.

"wait how is that possible he was a model student and then he went to university and..." She thought to herself

Twilight asked Bright Spark the same question "What happened to your grades Bright Spark I don't think I have ever seen grades slip this badly"

The grey stallion Shifted uncomfortably again "My Grades aren't that bad if I was any other student the university would have just let me pass with all D's"

Twilight was ready for that though " Yes but you aren't any other student, your scholarship requires you get at least all C's as a minimum to pass onto the next year so I will ask you again, Why is there such a dramatic shift in your grades."

Book Smart looked at her fellow student trying to figure it out herself.

"he's smart, he had to be to get those grades in high school so we know he's not dumb" she thought

" I never studied outside of the actual lectures lectures, I had better things to do" Said Bright spark without missing a beat

"What! how can you not study what could possibly be more important" Book Smart opinion on the Stallion changed in a heart beat "I was clearly wrong he must be stupid to not study at all for his exams, no scratch that he must be insane ... even if he does have pretty Eyes"

"Wait .... What Book Smart did a double take and realised she had been stealing glances at the stallions eyes since she had almost knocked him off his desk.

"What the Buck is that about" She shook the thought off.

Twilight was visibly shaking at what Bright Spark had just said "You didn't study for a single Exam, What were you doing instead!" She asked almost shouting.

"Just hanging around with my friends, with the year coming to an end we knew we wouldn't get to see each other over summer, so we hung out more and more" Bright spark said suddenly looking very terrified of Twilight.

Twilight was taken aback by the answer "Well OK Friendship is important, I'm learning that myself so I suppose that a partial excuse, But you could have at least done some studying," she looked sated "however I'm going to require that you Study the notes and handouts I give you in future sessions will you do that." she asked

"Yes Twi... Miss Sparkle" he said coving his mistake

"brilliant now onto you miss Book Smart" Twilight said lifting up the other folder with her magic.

*gulp*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Bright Spark's Perspective he had a lot to contend with. Though the mare was a year younger than him, Book smart's report was spotless. Strait A's since filly School, Brought up in a nice area in manehatten and apparently she had a fascination with all things magical, all she had to do was pass a single magical theory exam at the end of the summer and she would be accepted into the university on the first magical Theory course ever recorded, It hurt Bright Spark that all he could think was that she was a Know-it-all.

Stop that bright spark don't be a Dick

He hated bullies in every form, having been bullied quite a bit in his all colt's school growing up. and calling someone a Know-it-all was something a bully would do. But for some reason, something about the mare made him want to leave the room, as though he couldn't stand to be around her, he couldn't put his hoof on it but whatever the reason it surly was not her fault and the feeling was already getting weaker.

"Very well I'm sure you are both going to be good friends" Twilight said, somewhat overenthusiastic about the prospect of her two students getting along well.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg

Three shouts went up at once all of them jumped at the sudden loud noise.

"what the Buck was that" Bright Spark gasped

"I installed a bell for it to be more official when our sessions began and finished, but I can see I'm going to have to remove that" Said twilight, and then suddenly all Three of them were laughing.

"OK settle down every-pony, you have the rest of the day off, to celebrate or to pray as the situation warrants " Twilight said when she finally stopped laughing.

Both Bright Spark and Book Smart stood up together.

"here let me get your saddle bag for you" said Bright Spark still feeling guilty for his thought on Book smart earlier "our room is on the top floor furthest door on the left "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oh thank you Bright Spark" said Book smart thankfully.

Well if nothing else he a gentlecolt she thought smiling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Book Smart lead them up the stairs, Bright Spark couldn't help but get a look at her hind quarters, Book Smarts cutie mark was ... Surprise surprise , a light blue book with a dark blue swirl on the cover "so what her special talent is reading" muttered to himself as his eyes "mistakenly" worked their way back to Book Smart's hind Quarters

"DAT FLANK"

"Shut the Buck up brain, or I swear to Luna I will drink us both into a coma" whispered Bright Spark to himself

A'wwwwww

"Did you say something Bright Spark" asked Book Smart as they reached the door to there room.

"oh... what?... no no just muttering to myself ... I tend to do that" he said feeling a blush coming to his cheeks

"oh OK then so can you help me unpack" she said as she walked to the furthest bed away from the door
"you mind if I take this bed I would like the light from the window " she asked

"yeah that's no problem, I already set my stuff up on the other side of the room so that fine, and sure I would love to help you unpack" said Bright Spark still trying to make up for the thought about Book Smarts Know-it-allness ((shut up its a word :) ))

About half way through the unpacking Bright Spark asked his new room mate the same question he had asked his last one
"Do you want to head out to the local club I hear its ran by DJ-pon3"

"I don't Drink" Book Smart replied "and who is Dj-pon3"

It was going to be a Long summer.