• Published 29th Jan 2019
  • 6,446 Views, 376 Comments

The Dragon Lord's Legacy - Little_Draco



Spike awakens and his time to return to world has come. With added family, grown body and new challenges to face, Spike will find the world has changed without him and he must adapt, even if pain must come from it.

  • ...
9
 376
 6,446

Homecoming: Simple Life

Dragon Lord’s Legacy

Homecoming: Simple Life

Breakfast was not a common thing in the dragonlands. If you woke up and you were hungry, you would eat your gems and go on with the rest of your day. So when the idea of eating a full buffet’s worth of food came up, it was a strange concept for the dragons.

While Spike had not forgotten this aspect of pony society, he did enjoy the fact that his skills have remained with him to this moment.

After the morning viasco, he quickly went down the hallway and straight into the kitchen to expose himself to his elements once more. Problem was, he was beaten to the area.

“Morning son!” Twilight Velvet and Night Light greeted him.. Well darn it, there goes his morning special.

Still he smiled and waved to the stallion and mare. “Morning mom, morning dad!” He saw that it was just them two for now, but eventually others would join. Giving them a quick hug, he looked around to see what he could work on. “You two have been up awhile to do all this?'' From the six burner stoves that Twilight had in the castle(somehow, she never hired staff in the year that he was gone)four and a half were in use. One contained nothing but eggs, the other flapjacks, the next haybacon with the last two giant pots of oatmeal. They must ‘ve been up since dawn to do all this.

Feeling a bit left out, he moved to one of the burners. “So… what do you guys need help on?”

“Nothing at all dear!” His mother chanted lightly as she bounced to and fro from stove to sink to counter to table. “We haven’t had a large breakfast feast in years! And it was a lovely excuse to do so!”

“Indeed,” His father commented, as his magic cut, sliced, chopped, grated all the rest of the food. Toast, cheese, tomatoes, etc, all the while standing in a single place in the kitchen. “We thought that with your return, the partnership with the changelings and the fact you came back with a herd!” He paused and his gaze softened at the teen drake. “Uh… is that the right word, son?”

A smile formed on his face and he absentmindedly began to work around them. “It’s called a ‘Hoard’ dad and it's like a herd but uh, the one in charge could be female or male. But while a herd usually has one male, ‘hoards’ can be all males or all females.”

“Huh,” He said out loud as he cut a bit of onions into minces that were magically scooped up by Twilight to add to a giant platter of omlet. “That must be… something extraordinary.”

“Honey, keep your pants up and your fantasies in your books.” The mare chidded lightly, though the tone was warm and not at all tense.

The stallion lightly blushed and chuckled. “Of course dear, though if you ever need help regarding something along those lines, if you know what I mean.” The voice turned sultry and Spike all but groaned as he began mixing more batter for flapjacks.

“Ugh, really? It’s too early for this.”

His mother passed by while flipping over some haybacon and the omelet over on the different stoves. “Really Spikey? You have three females at your bed for beck and call and you don’t like hearing us talk about what we do together?” A small teasing tone came to her. “I am pretty sure that your going to tell all your colts, stallions…” A pause and a bit of confusion etched across her smile. “... drakes and chimera… friends?” Another pause. “Basically all the males you hang around with, you are not going to brag to them about that?”

Spike turned to his mother and father, shaking his head. “You both, Twilight and Shining raised me better than that.” His voice lowered and his head sank with a blush. “And… we, well only me and Ember ever…” He trailed off.

That was enough for both parents to halt and stare at the dragon-son with strange looks. While the food slowly burned, he quickly looked away and tried to work on the rest, only for a light pink magic stopped his tracks and made him spin to face his parents. Suddenly, Velvet had a serious look upon her. He tried to look away or down from her peering eyes. “Spike, did you have sex with your mare- err, dragoness?” A threatening tone left her. His father also looked a bit angry but he gently refocused on the food to keep it from burning.

Spike’s face flushed more but he remained silent. A bit of magic forced his chin up and he was looking at the eyes of his mother, who remained stern, though not angry.

“Spike Sparkle the Dragon.” Oh great, she included his middle name, she was angry. “Did you?”

He shakingly nodded and the magic instantly dropped. He then got another look. “And… you only did this with one of them, right? Not the other two?”

He nodded again. The stern expression dropped and was immediately filled with joy and tears. Oh mare, he knew where this was going.

“That means we are going to get grandfo- grand drakes soon?!” Again her joy made her forget the differences in species, though he was keen on her emotional change, due to how she had done the same thing to Shining Armor and Cadence. She will not be able to do it with Twilight…

He flinched at the near screech like level and sighed. “It’s hatchlings mom, or whelps if you want to get all technical, but no…” He mumbled already having to deal with this three days ago with Saphira. “We are not there… yet.”

“Oh, sweetheart. It’s okay if you both are trying…”

“Mom, please!” He begged, a near whine leaving him. “I already had to deal with this with Ember’s parents and my…” He paused and realized or not realized if his pony parents knew of his draconic parents. This dropped the subject immediately.

“Your what, dear?” She asked, finishing the last of the food. He blinked and looked at them a bit apprehensive, unsure if to bring it up or not.

“Did… did Twilight tell you who took care of me when I was in the Dragon Lands, right?”

Both parents looked at each other before shaking their heads. “No, son.” This time Night Light answered. “Though I am assuming or guessing that the dragons that did were your birth parents or Ember.”

He blinked and felt a bit saddened that he hadn’t brought it up yesterday or it was brought up at all. Sighing, he leaned against the counter. “Well…” He began. “Not my birth parents, but two females adopted me while I was in a coma. They… helped me and kept me safe until I awoke five days ago.”

“Oh,” His mother responded, seeing him crestfallen. “Then what’s wrong dear?”

His teeth clenched for a moment and he looked up at them with his emerald eyes. “I just… want you to know and understand how, I don’t see you guys any less. You both helped raise me, along with Twilight, Shining… Celestia.” He twiddled his claws on the counter. “With them both now in my life, I just didn’t want you to think that having them in my life now, meant that I would replace you or make you think that I forgot everything.”

Both parents remained silent, listening to him as he went on, no words said or spoken. “I have more parents in my life than most creatures have family and I never wanted to replace anyone, anypony. You all raised me to be a proper… dragon in a pony society and they are raising me to be a proper dragon in a dragon society. Whenever anycreature brings up my parentage, it’s sometimes difficult to explain that I now have five parental figures in my life-” A small pause that stung. “-None that shares my blood…'' A smile formed. “But that all loved me the same.”

“Oh Spike, we don’t mind that they adopted you and we understand that you may think otherwise,” Velvet explained as she pulled in close with Night Light. The hoof rested a hoof on his shoulder, comforting his mind. “We are just glad that you had someone watch over you while you were asleep. Though Twilight didn’t really go into details on how you became comatose in the first place,” Spike went frigid and some fear crept into him. “-we are glad that it's over now and that you are awake and back home.” The fear quelled in his heart, but he still felt a bit ashamed that he would have to keep a part of that close to his heart.

He sighed and leaned down a bit, to wrap them both with his arms. Before he was too short to completely wrap them just around their necks. Since his growth, he could comfortably and embrace them to their midsections and it had never felt so good.

Once done with their hugs, they quickly resumed back to making breakfast, finishing the last of the cooking. He resumed talking about his experiences of the week since he woke up(skipping his mating flight with Ember) and what he learned about being more of a dragon than here.

Somehow they knew how to make enough food for just about everyone here. Five changedlings that included Thorax, Twilight, Starlight(whom they have met with and learned she lived here) , Shining Armor, Cadence, Flurry, Sunburst, themselves, Spike and the three dragonesses. Of course there were extras of everything to spare.

But just as they had raised them, Spike saw that a majority of the food was gem encrusted, most being from the gems that were given to him from the Crystal Empire. It truly warmed his heart knowing that they still knew his eating habits well enough to include with his hoard.

The smell of food flowed through the castle and it was a sure way to wake those currently resting. The guests and those living within the castle slowly filed out of their rooms, greeting each other happily in the hallways before making their way to the smell of glorious food.

Upon opening the dining room hall, each creature was surprised to see dishware, plates cups, napkins placed at each chair including a high chair for Flurry. Juice, milk, water, tea or coffee were displayed on the center table.

The trio of hard workers turned to their guest and motioned. “Breakfast is ready! Whose hungry?”


The room radiated with love, joy and an atmosphere of home that no matter the creature, felt safe and welcomed. Each creature sat next to another or across from another, interacting with merit. From Thorax talking with Spike, Twilight, Sunburst and Starlight, to Smolder and Amy talking to the four other changedlings. Shining and his parents talked while Cadence fed her bubbly happy daughter.

The food was delicious and while food normally doesn’t really help in the nutritious value of their bodies, but if love was put into it, then it would be as beneficial as a normal meal for a pony. And to say it was filled was an understatement for they had to eat in small portions due to how much love and care was put into it by Velvet, Night and Spike.

This was mentioned and quickly scribbled down by Twilight. The changedlings savored every bite, their moans filled with chirps and buzzes of their wings, earning delightful chuckles from others.

The same could be said for Ember, Amy and Smolder. The youngest had never had pony food, while Amy and Ember only had it once the first time they came here; but it refreshed their memories of what some pony-flavor food could do to the tastebuds. The eggs were savory, the haybacon crunchy, the flapjacks exquisite and the diamond bits that were scattered in their food soared their love for it to new heights. Their lack of new foods had actually triggered a love spree that radiated much like the changedlings but it was actually filling the changedlings much faster to the point where they even bloated slightly from the excess.

This was just the morning and they had a whole day and most of the week to enjoy the rest.


Spike had never felt more sure that his life was a blessing and that despite what was hinted at what a dark or mysterious past he may have had, he knew that his present and future were assured to be filled and surrounded by those he loved.

The feeling of being in the same room with all here just made him ecstatic with euphoria at having this moment. While he did lack his other parents, he did still felt happy to have his pony ones. Night Light and Twilight Velvet were just as much as his as they were to Twilight and Shining. The care for him was pure and the confirmation was noticed when they talked about him to the changedlings and he could see their minds and eyes soaking in the love, not evil or heinous, but they enjoyed hearing their voices about him.

Same could be said with Twilight to Thorax or Ember. Amy was just enjoying the food and while she looked a bit sloppy in her eating(and talking at the same time) there was a genuine love that she had to be in this environment. Smolder looked comfortable for the most part, savoring her food, enjoying her bits and pieces of breakfast. He has seen the young, including himself, when one enjoys a good meal that they savor to the point where they ignore everything else. Her eyes sparkled like the crystals she ate, tiny moans of delight leaving her mouth and she would take her time on every bite. Even seeing her just sit there, eyes closed on the diamond encrusted flapjacks that she ate were her little bits of paradise.

He knew that the week he was here, it was his duty, no… his mission was to make this the best damn week possible for the ones he loved and even those that would join him. Though he had no idea where to start, he felt like he did have to catch up on current events.

Outside of what he knew, he was still getting bombarded with new info, some pleasing, others astounding and then came the bombshell that was…

“...wait, wait, wait… You're telling me that Trixie… as in that showboating mare… the one who enslaved Ponyville and I’m pretty sure has a vendetta out for you, who also saved Equestria alongside Discord, is related to Starswirl the Bearded?!” A pause then another dramatic take. “And Starswirl is alive?”

Twilight gave a huff and a nod. “Unfortunately,” she paused and quickly added. “I mean unfortunately that ‘she’ is related to him. But yeah, he is back along with the rest of the pillars. Starswirl only confirmed this because when Trixie began to talk to him about her lineage to hom, did it come up that her something-something-ancestor was a descendant of Starswirl. The old stallion somewhat begrudgingly admitted that he had a swing with a mare around that time and only knew of her foals and the names. This was him before he joined the pillars and they fought the Pony of Shadows and got trapped in limbo.”

Spike pondered this and retorded. “So… how much worse has she gotten since she learned of this?”

Twilight gave a deadpanned look at him. “What do you think?”

Spike winced at her stark question and couldn’t help but shake his head. “Okay and where is she and him now?”

Twilight perked a little. “Well, she is traveling but will be stopping by Canterlot at the Festival. Starswirl is traveling all of Equestria with Stygian and they are seeing how much has changed in the last thousand years.”

He nodded in understanding. “Must be a huge shock and perhaps saddening for them to come back and see everything is gone. Family, friends, homes… all gone.”

A bit of a shadow fell over him as he realized that could have happened to him if he slept any longer. How much time or how much he would have lost if he slept longer than almost a year. Dragons could sleep for a year or a hundred without the need to wake once and time would pass them in an instant.

Shaking his head, he smiled. “Well then I hope they are finding their place in the world, it would suck if they couldn’t.”

Twilight nodded, adding a few. “Flash Magnus began training the new guard in the styles of old, though I heard he is trying to become Commander once more along with a descendant of his, Flash Sentry. I have heard that Medowbrook is opening a shop to sell her potions and even teaching modern day healers. The others I think are still looking.” She then conjured up a recent letter. “Starswirl and Stygian are traveling east from here from their last letter.”

Spike was happy to hear that, along with most of the other changes in their lives. As morning began to shift to noon, he began cleaning up the table out of instinct of his past, but sadly he was magically cut off by his parents. 'Oh no you don’t mister!'' His mother chastise while pushing him away from the table. “You and your… uh hoard, are going out and enjoying yourselves. They need to experience a little bit of pony life and even see what your life was like here.”

“Indeed son,” his father added. “So you four go out and explore your areas, alright! Oh, and don’t you worry about the dishes. Twilight and Shining will take care of it.”

“WHAT!!!!!” Came the cries of dismay from the two. Flurry giggled and clapped at her father’s dismayed face while Cadance just grinned to herself while sipping coffee.

Both parents gave a stern look at their foals, Velvet raising an eyebrow. “And what did I tell you two about dishes, if one or any of us cooks?”

Twilight and Shining stammered a bit, though Spike gave a grunt and once more tried to pick up the table. “Mom, dad, it’s fine I don-”

“No you don’t!” His mother snapped. She then used her magic to gently push him out of the kitchen while the others followed. “Like I said, go out and enjoy yourselves. Show them the joys of your time here and spend your bits on them.” The dragonesses followed behind with the changedlings in tow. Sunburst and Starlight quickly teleported out and out of view. “Now, go out there and have fun with your hoard and the guests!”

As he was pushed out, he heard a final grumble from Shining about how Twilight ‘should have maids in her castle’. “Have fun, dear!” Cadence sang, pushing a stroller with Flurry in the front. She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek passing by. “I’m gonna find some outfits for Flurry now, see you later!”

Seeing his wife disappear along with his daughter, he grumbled and began to levitate one plate amongst the literal mountain’s worth of dishes. Twilight began to calculate on the best method on how to clean them all quickly by either vaporizing the particles or hiding them, but her mother quickly poked her head with a firm tone. “And they better be spotless! No making them disappear with magic!” Twilight dropped her head and groaned, as she grabbed a sponge and began to scrub them along with her brother.


Spike was shoved out of the castle along with his hoard and the changedlings. Twilight and Night made sure to lock them out and they also teleported somewhere else. Spike also found his claw with a heavy sack of money that had been conjured. Once out, Thorax led his group alongside Spike.

“That was a wonderful breakfast, Spike. I and the others ‘thank you’, but uh… we are not sure what most ponies do after that?” He said a bit hesitantly.

Spike gave the taller changedling King a smile. “Well, most go to their jobs, others go out and enjoy the day. There is no real set way of doing things, Thorax.'' He patted him on the shoulder and waved his claw to all of Ponyville which was already bustling with activity. “Go out, get lost, and worry not about the little things that ponies do, enjoy the little things that you do!”

The response was an unorthodox answer but the feelings were helpful. One of the changedlings, a turquoise blue chintin with light violet eyes and carapace, bounded forward in place. “Oh, King Thorax, you think it would be wise to include our little Occelus here? I am pretty sure that she would love to explore this town now?”

Thorax was to immediately worry and state his reasons not to but Spike actually pushed for it. “Why not?” He gave a smile and waved to the town. “Ponyville is a welcoming place and if the young ones are to learn everything they can from ponies, why not bring them to the heart of it all?” He then turned to her. “Is she a ‘young...ling’ or is she old enough to understand?”

“Of course, Prince Spike!” She answered enthusiastically. “She is perhaps one of the smartest changedlings in the whole hive! She reads many pony books and while we are still a bit shy of trying to get her more, we are hoping that with permission from Princess Twilight, we could bring her here to read the library.”

Spike mentally winced but brushed it off at her words of ‘Prince Spike,’ He kept his smile and nodded. “I am positive that Twilight would love to have someone who loves books as much as her though…” He looked back at the castle with a small wince and turned back to her. “-but give it a couple of hours before they finish cleaning so you don’t get dragged into the mess.”



With that, Spike and his hoard separated from Thorax and his changedlings to go off and ‘get lost’ like said to. The market was already well underway with regulars and newcomers setting up shop. Ember, Amy, and Smolder gazed around the shops, finding odd little things here and there that tickled their interests.

From odd looking food that they didn’t eat earlier today, to unique and puzzling looking knick-knacks like toys, collections, jewelry and so on. This actually puzzled the dragons.

“Why would they wear jewelry on their bodies?” Asked Smolder. “I mean, I see them as wearing their food on us.”

Spike gave a chuckle and nodded. “We see it as food, they see it as wealth and status. To wear jewelry is to show off how much you have or how much you are worth to others.”

Smolder understood that a bit but it was still odd. “What about clothing? Is that the same thing?”

He gave another nod, remembering that she was curious about it yesterday too. “Yeah, that too Smolder but it could be for cosmetics or for special occasions and so on.'' He paused in thought before adding in. “If you want, now or later, we can go to Rarity and see her dresses if you want. Perhaps you would like to see what goes into it. It’s nothing like the armor of what a dragon wears but it will make you stand out a bit more.”

The orange dragoness gave a shy nod at this and moved on. The other two saw that there was something else that caught their eyes. A griffin merchant who had on display, but not actually seen, pictures of fish, poultry, and other types of meat that he was selling.

This didn’t stir well with other ponies but they had no issues showing what was on pictures, especially since now that other creatures were welcomed, they could buy their food here.

“So, only griffins sell and buy the meat here, right?” Ember asked. “I mean no pony would buy this?”

Spike stopped and looked at the stall. There were no ponies around the griffin, that’s for sure but he also didn’t seem to be hurting in sales. He was a well kept griffin that was light grey, feathered and furred, with a black streak of color that started from his beak that went over his head to his back. His wings looked nicely cleaned, his posture professional and his face even as leaned over his stall. It was odd but then again, a year of being under can change things and so he and his hoard approached.

Seeing four dragons come towards him, the griffin immediately perked up. “Ah some dragons!” His voice was gentle with excitement, a soft chirp leaving his beak with it. “Prince Spike, no less!”

Another wince but he gave a nod. “Hello sir!”

The griffin gave a small bow and motioned forward. “Please do come and see! Let dear 'Gyllian' here show his worth! If I know an eye for keen quality, it is a dragon with emerald eyes!” He then reached over and handed him as well as the others four laminated menus showing pictures of his selling items. “While I know that dragons have a particular taste for gems, let it be known that your tongues are indifferent to those of…” He leaned in and kept it low. “Flesh!” It came like a purr, which worked for Ember, Amy and Smolder but Spike felt odd from it.

The trio females almost seemed to stare hungrily at the menu, even though they had eaten no long before, of the levels and types of meat that he was offering. The menu first showed a picture of the animal, then next to it was the pieces in chunks. Underneath both pictures, in writing, showed prices either in ‘whole’, ‘pound’, or ‘bite-size’. The smallest ones were for only tasting and seeing if it suited your needs, costing only a few bits to try.

Spike buried all of his feelings of seeing this because one, he was in a place where it was public and legal to sell and two, his hoard seemed to be interested. While Amy couldn’t read, he knew she was just staring at the pictures. Maybe the same could be said for Smolder but she was intelligent enough to know that this is how ponies worked.

He knew that he had to spoil his hoard and gave Gyllian a warm smile. “Tell you what Gyllian, this is the first time my hoard here, has ever experienced meat professionally handled so why don’t you allow them to try a few?” He pulled his sack of bits up and when he opened them, his eyes went wide and noted that, it wasn’t just a sack of bits, but gems as well. Some gems that were valued a few hundred and others, a few thousand bits.

‘Was this intentional or did his parents really give him this much worth?’ He thought to himself. Then he really thought about it. ‘Was it from Celestia too?’ He grumbled quietly before he mentally figured out which ones didn't have four digits and grabbed a small amount of bits. He handed Gyllian a small emerald worth a few hundred bits.

The griffin’s eyes jumped and his head feathers popped up with a surprise squawk leaving him. Spike smiled sheepishly and awkwardly.

“Sorry… I uh… had nothing smaller.” The others looked at the griffin, confused at his squawk, trying to figure out the transaction going on.

Gyllian stammered a bit. “I-I-I err… forgive me Prince, I don’t possibly have enough change for-”

“Then consider it a tip then and just give us a few samples and whatever you can count will cover the rest, deal?”

The griffin only nodded dumbfoundedly and while Spike knew how griffins could be, he felt like this one could be trusted. He hoped that things could have been changed for the better with their race.

The dragons then tried out a few pieces of everything. Due to his small stand, he couldn’t carry a lot, but he did have most of his products in ice-boxes that had them whole and in chunks, with the bite-size ones in smaller capsules. Given the amount given, Gyllian offered them a piece of each meat he had. He then went onto explain each one.

“This white meat is from a southern Equestria 'Pheasant’ in the mount of ‘Macintosh Hills’ while this slightly blue one is from the northern ‘Crystal Empire’.”

From the red meats, this part did somewhat disturb Spike a bit, since he might have thought they were sentient animals, but Gyllian explained they were wild life. And he meant non-domesticated wild life. “From wild boars and canines, to wild serpents and caught salmon. The rare ‘rainbow fish’ to a jack-o-lope not far from the lands.”

He mentally hoped that Gyllian only showed images to the carnivores and never to ponies, since he knew Fluttershy would pass by the stalls.

Each piece was tasted, each one gained different reactions for each dragoness. He himself also liked a few different things. His memory of eating the deer, his mother Zynthia, had sparked a certain hunger that he hoped would be quelled from eating this sparsely.

After tasting about 20 samples, as Gyllian sadly could not bring his bigger cart, Spike bought what his hoard wanted. A whole large ‘Rainbow Fish’ and five pound slab of boar for Amy. Smolder got poultry, a chicken and pheasant with all the prep done like feathers and skin removed. Ember enjoyed the wild boar as well but took ten pounds, cleaning Gyllian dry of his supply. Spike opted for a ‘common bass and half a chicken.

Gyllian gave a small gulp and a nervous smile. “Um Prince Spike… about the uh payment?”

Spike gave a small nod. “I know it still is a lot but if it makes you feel any better, you can at least know that if we ever come to visit, you have us as a good source of customers.” The griffin nodded but said nothing else. Spike sighed and looked down at the neatly wrapped pieces of meat. “Um… maybe an ice-box to carry this and we can call it square so others don’t see us walking around with these?”

This seemed to ease the griffin and he gave him one of his spare containers that he had. He gave a small chirp as he neatly organized the packaged meats inside while slowly covering them with ice. “The ice is a bit magically enchanted to last you all day, so no need to fear it melting and becoming water. That should call us even then, yes?”

Spike gave a nod and a smile. “Thank you Gyllian. Maybe before we head back home at the end of the week, we can get a few more boxes to go.”

The griffin gave a happy chirp at that. “Oh, that would be wonderful, Prince Spike, though I beg that you bring some… uh smaller amount of change. At least… enough so I can give some back to other customers. This might need to be exchanged at a bank.”

Spike chuckled and nodded. “Sure, though can I take one of your menus to see other options then?” The griffin quickly nodded, giving a non-laminated one and his box.

“Thank you, Gyllian. Enjoy the rest of your day!”

“Yes, thank you Gyllian for the most wonderful food.” Ember and the others said gratefully.

The griffin gave a shake of his. “No, thank you my wonderful dragon friends. It brings me joy that with dragons and other non-ponies coming here that I won’t be so reclusive to selling my products here. Perhaps when you return and bring other dragon friends, you will spread the word of my wonderful products.”

“We shall,” Spike promised. “We’ll see you again.”

With that they left him, Spike carrying an ice box in claws, though maybe he felt that he could drop it off at the castle first. Though the thought was quickly banished when he realized that his parents had locked the castle door and Twilight and Shining would try to rope him in to help finish the chores. That was not their style, but they could still pull off some sort of tact to get him to help. For the first time, he ignored the need to help others and focused on his hoard.

Up and down the market they went, looking at the wonderful displays of pony, griffin and other creatures stalls. It really brought back wonderful memories of a simple life as a young drake, err well a physically younger drake, and that he could gaze around with foal-like innocence and still feel amazed by the things around him.

Now… it was the same but he was bigger, had a name and had those he cared for around him. He waved and met a few locals that remembered him, even going as far as to hug or talk with them. From Derpy Hooves who was passing by for muffins, to Zecora who sold potions and remedies on the market, to even seeing foals running through that he interacted with.

The memories of a small dragon walking through were not far from ponies. But it would still surprise them how much he had changed and what odd curiosities he went through to grow this huge this fast. Many thought it was a greed growth again, but he would explain in the short term, ‘it was a growth spurt and it hurt when it hit him.’ No one needed to know the truth.


The more they spent out in public, the more the four dragons became part of the town. The ponies and creatures would wave or greet them like they always belonged. Even for just the day, word of Spike’s return and his hoard was as if they were always part of the community and it showed.

Ember had never felt such worth come from ponies, let alone ones she knew nothing of. Each one asking ‘how was she’ and ‘if she wanted to try or receive’ some sort of gift? It boggoled her that ponies could be like this instead of what she dealt with from Twilight’s friends, to Spike’s family.

Amy seemed not indifferent for she enjoyed the attention but she also showed off how much she bathed in it. From the little foals that came to see them, commenting on how tall she was, to how pretty she was in pink, to her actually showing her fire prowess. She even burped in front of them as a greeting, which earned a cheer and many trying to burp back at her. This made Ember’s eye twitch and vein almost forming.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders, along with… Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara? They also seemed to marvel at the dragons. Spike already felt odd knowing that the foals he used to hang out with, were now looking at him in a new light, but keeping their same attitude towards him the same. Apple Bloom was ecstatic that he was now a bit taller than Big Mac. Scootaloo was jealous of his wings but begged for flights. Sweetie Belle was actually happy that he found his calling in life with a mate and a purpose at the Dragon Lands.

Around the town center, he and his hoard where rallied towards and coaxed into explaining his growth and the dragonlands. What he didn’t share with most yesterday, he did today, minus the pain and suffering of the trials. He did mention he had amnesia for awhile which is why he couldn’t come home right away, but it was made better by his adoptive parents. This talk also lead to him explaining to many of them, including the crusaders about his hoard.

“So… you're technically in a herd and married?” Sweetie Belle asked, a small hint of confusion and disappointment leaving her mouth. He didn’t catch it but he did give her a nod.

“Technically yes, though I am not doing the whole ‘marriage thing’ here.”

“Oh yes you are Mr!” A sharp, almost near ‘Canterlot Voice’ ripped through the crowd. He winced out loud, as did the others when they heard the voice and turned to the coming storm that was… Princess Cadence.

In her stroller, was Flurry who bubbled at the crowd. Behind the stroller was a massive amount of bags, Celestia knows how heavy they looked. The Princess in question had a stern look, that would have concerned Ember and the other two, yet… she already felt like this was a ‘family thing.’

“You, Mr Spike Sparkle the Dragon, are definitely having that wedding and it will be planned by me!”

He had never got to see what a ‘dark Cadenza’ would be like, so if he had any guesses as to what she may appear like, this would be close.

Giving her a small gulp, he spoke slowly so as not to provoke the Princess of Love. “Cadence… we are already married by Dragon Standards, so it really wouldn’t make sense to do so… again.”

“But you are part of pony society, Spike.” She said haughty, though she gave a small grin. “Though since you are also technically a Prince, we can make it an even more formal wedding.”

“Please don’t!” Spike whined. “It’s already bad enough that we just celebrated my return, I don’t need another hassle of people celebrating for me.”

“Uh… what’s a wedding?” Asked the smaller dragon of the group. Spike’s eyes went wide. Oh no…

A gleam came from Cadence and she immediately began to break down not just what a wedding was, but what the process went into it and what the purpose was.

Spike stifled a groan and he turned away from the bombardment from Cadence and Smolder. Amy somehow tuned in but faded in and out of it from the long, almost breathless talking the pink princess went into.

By now, the rest of the ponies left them alone, mostly because they seemed to be grid-locked by the princess. Spike looked at Flurry, who lifted her hooves towards him. Smiling, he leaned down and picked her up in his claws.

“Unca ‘pike! Unca ‘pike!” She chanted as he brought her close. He giggled and brushed his head against her, with her hugging his pointed head. Her innocence was pure and strong, something that warmed his heart to the absolute fullest. Ember’s heart also seemed to warm, seeing him interact with a young one with so much care and so much love.

He blew raspberries on her belly, causing her to squeal in laughter, while she struggled to push away. He made weird… goofy faces at her, he tossed her in the air, making her flap her wings in joy and the way he would speak to her in such a level that it made it look like he knew what he was doing… despite not being a full adult.

Even with his mind as young as it was before he grew up, Spike picked up a level of maturity that rivaled many, if not surpassed, adult dragons. Pushing past normal limits and breaking any stereotype that existed, he was the odd, practical and supreme sight of what a good dragon could be.

Spike stopped and turned to her with Flurry in arms. “Flurry, this is my mate, ‘Ember’. Can you say, ‘Ember’?”

Flurry giggled and waved her arms at her. “M’ba! M’ba!” Dammit that was the cutest thing Ember had seen come from a pony and this was the first time she has ever seen a tiny pony hatch- err… baby. Her heart actually was beating fast at how cute and adorable this baby pony was. She leaned in and gave her a smile, close to her hoof.

“Hi Flurry.” She greeted me. “I am Ember.”

Once more Flurry bubbled at the name and booped Ember in the nose in joy. “M’ba! M’ba! Boo!” She continued to boop Ember’s nose, which made her giggle.

Spike chuckled at this. “You’ve been booped by a foal, Ember. Now you will transform into a pony.”

Ember gave him a cocked eyebrow. “Or… maybe she will change into a dragon.” She then leaned down and brushed her head against FLurry, who wrapped her tiny hooves on Ember. “M’ba! Boo M’ba ‘Ah Unc’ ‘Pike!”

Spike snorted. “You think you're ready to handle a baby dragon, let alone one like her?”

Ember pulled away from her and pulled closer to him. “Are you?” she asked haughty. A small grin formed on her that formed silently into something… hidden. His face turned a bit confused. “Huh?”

She then leaned in closer to his ear. “You were handling her like a father would and to say that this was not your own, you look like you knew what you were doing. That is… exciting.”

A small shiver ran down his spine and his cheeks grew warm. “E-Ember w-we are in public a-and…”

“And I am sure,” she whispered with hot breath against him, sultry and without restraint. “-that if I were to ask for hatchlings right now, you would no doubt be ready and willing, especially on the responsibility.” She then pulled away showing her face had a look of sensuality and wanting. Spike was a bit fearful and he began to shake, earning a bit of bubbled laughter as she was vibrating in his arms.

Luckily Cadence had finished explaining to Smolder and Amy about weddings and turned to the two. Instantly, she detected that something had happened. At first, she felt a bit of motherly anger consumed her as her daughter was right in the middle of it, but then she saw the faces of both Ember and Spike. Ember had a look on her that Cadence would get when she was anxious to get with Shinny. Spike had the look upon him when Cadence was ready for more foals.

A small sliver of magic and she knew this to be true. Ember was somewhat turned on by Spike and the way he treated and cared for Flurry and this excited her about how he would treat their hatchlings far better than most dragons would. Spike felt fear and a bit of embarrassment about it, but his heart knew he would be up to the challenge.

Her smile grew instantly and she began to lightly hope on her hooves. “Oh… I might be an aunty soon!” She giggled to herself.

Smolder looked at her. “What?” Cadence said nothing but pointed at them. When Smolder saw what she meant, a blush warmed up to her. The pink Princess of Love then leaned down. “Maybe one day in the future… you will be a mother.”

Smolder went full on red and she was taken aback by how forward she was. Though it did dawn on her that maybe it would be something that she had to think on, her future was still in the air.

However, with the conversation that she just had with her, seeing herself with hatchlings in the future was… a thought. She gave a small sigh and gave a look to her future mate. “As long as I can be in a dress for him to see me in, I do.”

Author's Note:

And so we have the first day back and some serious back story to build with Spike being gone. The question is, how much has changed, how much of him was needed or not needed on that time and what will the future be without him there everytime a crisis happens?
The gap I have to remind you here is that this is right after the Gauntlet of Fire and leading up to the movie and Season 8. I will neglect to mention a few things because they are irrelavent to the plot or him and I won''t be sticking to season 8 and Final much becasuse... well I didn't like some of it. Some elements will come from there but not all.

Also, I know that on my last blog post was very down and negative about the series but know that I will continue to push my effort into it. Less ponies, more dragons. But also I would like to do a big thanks to those who enjoy my dragon stories because dragons are my life, they are my love and I owe any happiness to them being in my life.

Thanks for sticking with me!