• Published 20th Jan 2019
  • 16,712 Views, 674 Comments

For I am of Pinkie's Mind - Neon Icy Wings



A human finds themselves as a voice within Pinkie's mind, only she's a young filly still on the rock farm. Aching for home, but worried what others might think, this new 'Mena' must maneuver life in Equestria. As much a life they can anyways.

  • ...
19
 674
 16,712

Chapter 7: Shades of Gray, Rock Roll Away

Yup. More math. But it was distracting enough for me, and probably more so for the foals. On the one hand, they were kids, so it's possible their minds didn't jump to the darkest night possibility like my overthinking mind, but on the other hoof, at least some of them were quite intelligent, and well, kids could pick up on things. I just hoped we were being a bunch of cynics.

At the very least Pinkie hadn't asked me for my thoughts on it, instead choosing to focus on the mind numbing math before us. Fine by me, as I didn't know how I would answer. Twould I lie, or tell the truth? Lie about the truth, I mean, not the math.

Pinkie translated what I couldn't read, at my behest, if only because I wouldn't trust a math question with a cousin thrice removed who I never even met before. Still, the math wasn't abhorrent. Yet. Math always became monstrous at some point. Trigonometry.

These thoughts blazed through my mind as Pinkie scratched out the answer to yet another question, like many of the foals were doing. One colt was even writing down his answers as he held his sheet of paper to the wall.

Yeah, one thing that my tired brain begrudgingly accepted in favor to save brain power for the maths, was that the class room wasn't as typical as I first thought, at least by my silly human standards. There were about three large desks, two in the middle of the room in a row towards the chalk board and what I supposed was an extra pushed against the wall. Other than that, there was just the chalk board and a supply shelf for extra paper and pencils.

And despite there being ample desk space our dear teach was happy to let the foals mill about, so writing against the wall, or on the ground like Pinkie was, was perfectly fine, and to be honest, I sorta approved? Like, if it helped the kids focus a bit better, I didn't see a problem.

I mean, come on, Equestria is a place where the Princess's personal student gets shipped off to a little hamlet to learn the magic of friendship. Unorthodox teaching methods reach all the way to the crown, and that's a few heads above the average pony.

At the very least it was a welcome change of pace, and if that kept Pinkie from thinking on certain darkness, then I had to thank math a little.

Time flowed like a river of molasses inside that class room, and I didn't even have a watch or cliche school room clock to properly gauge my perception. Whether it was in my head, if it was in Pinkie's head or if time was enjoying math being the preferable alternate for once in my life, I would never know.

The strangest thing was when the math-athon ended. Couple together the weird conversation before the math and the fact I didn't even know how we got here, what with the Pinkie facilitated not-sleep walking and it was just a very odd experience.

Mr. Chalk spoke to the class at large, "Alright class! Time is up, and time to go home. Make sure to put your name on your paper and leave it on my desk before you leave."

If I had to give Chalk boy one thing, it had to be that his classroom had a nice atmosphere, and he ran it with calm ease. Now, that was based on one measly morning and part of an afternoon, but that's more than some of my teachers could manage. Looking at you Jerry. I still refuse to buy an Ipad for your programming class, even when Ipads don't exist.

All the little fillies and colts did as told, and a few hasty scrawls filled the air, Pinkie included in that. Though a few were already prepared and were already placing their papers on the white stallion's desk, the rest of class following quickly after.

As the class started to file out, the Pie sisters already having grouped up, doing the same, Mr. Chalk called out to the retreating ponies, "Have a good day class! See you soon!"

A few of the young ponies echoed the sentiments back, Marble included, if quietly, and we once again were outside, and I for one was completely lost. I mean, it's not like we had freaking cars. I didn't even know which way our rock farm was.

'So, what now Pinka?' I asked my headmate.

'We go home.' Thank you Sherlock for your boundless information. How do you go on to solve a train mystery?

'Yeah... how long does it take to get home? 'Cause, you know, I was asleep longer than you.' I really wanted to know the time frame of getting back to the Rock Farm. Sort of like when you're lost in the woods and want to know the way to the nearest path and a clown is behind you.

'Oh, not too long.' I take it back, I want to be in Twilight's head, she'd know down to the inch and second the distance and length of time it would take.

Personally, I found the fact dear Mother and Father allowed their daughters to walk to and from school, alone, quite a distance, to be quite irresponsible. Oh, I could definitely see Father breaking a fool in half if they did anything, seeing as he helped spawn Pinkie and Maud who are capable of crazy things, but it's the principle of the thing. Though, I would freely admit the Rockhard conversation was still inking back into my thoughts and might have added some more... tangible paranoia to my paranoia stew.

"Limestone?" Dear Marble spoke up, as a shining light to save my wandering mind from the dark, "Should we ask Ma and Pa about the Rockhard thing?" Oh, screw you Marble, let me ignore things that are probably important in peace.

Limestone herself seemed to share my bother at the question, might have been for different reasons, but eh, solidarity. "I don't know. I mean, I think we should, but if the other's parents didn't tell them anything I don't think Ma or Pa would if they even know anything."

Marble seemed a bit down from the question, I could only guess she felt like she was hiding something from her parents, which was fair enough. Maud however seemed more aligned with Limestone's thinking. "I think we should wait and bring it up if it becomes relevant." Oh, Maud, even if you were to be the death of me, how I adore you when our thoughts align.

Oddly, Pinkie was the hardest to read during the conversation. I couldn't read her face, as our little mindscape, I realized, always seemed more obscured when we didn't focus on it. On top of not seeing her face, she didn't really say anything, merely a noncommittal hum.

I really did not enjoy not knowing what was going on in Pinkie's head, considering I lived there. Not knowing travel times, not knowing her thoughts of topic bringing up-ing. All in all I felt quite useless as a fly on the wall. Doubly so because my mind, back when I had a body to call my own, would ramble and think in my head all the time. Then again, my mind was still rather ramble-y and Pinkie didn't complain. Mind magic duckery, how doth thou work?

I did end my thought chain on a pleasant note: I would not have to worry about that when Pinkie becomes the one true party maniac. It was then I decided to enjoy my peaceful, quiet time inside the mind, as such days were surely numbered.

The group fell into a relative quiet as they ventured down the path even further and longer than I had thought. I couldn't count time for a stale biscuit so my random guess of how long it took to get back to the farm was thirty minutes. If you put a gun to my head, or whatever Equestrian equivalent was, and demanded how long it took with a five minute margin of error I would be cosplaying Epsilon while Pinkie played Washington.

It was a sight for sore eyes, the rockfarm. Like a rock itself, it felt like a stable place of rest for the short time I've spent there and the foreseeable future I'd be spending. At least compared to 'A Skip from Tartarus' Ponyville.

As if Pinkie Sense ran in the family, dear Father came out of the home to greet the girls despite obviously not looking out any of the windows, "Hello, girls. How was school?"

Most everyone groaned, because math, Maud answered for the group, "Mr. Chalk taught us math today."

I think I saw a flicker of genuine confusion flash across Father's face at that information, which was honestly hilarious. "I know he loves math, but I will have to talk to him about moderation at the next meeting. Anyway, your Mother has prepared some snacks for you all. We will be entrusting you four with a harvest this evening, so relax while you can."

And with that bombshell, to me anyway, he led us into the house. I didn't get a good look at the sister's reaction to the news, but I sure had lots of thoughts on the matter. How the hell do you harvest rocks? I get it, rocks do grow, I think, like stalactites and stalagmites growing up or down. Yeah, I was not cut out for rockfarming, or geology. Thank you Pinkie for getting into baking and parties. At least if I don't screw something up like keeping Pinkie inside when the Rainboom happens.

Well, hither or dither, parties or rocks, I was going to learn the rocky road of rock harvests, even if the light shattering color nuke happened within a week. Buckle up Pinkamena, welcome to the ride of your life as you switched lanes into another dimension.

A dimension with decent snacks, even if I was not in control of the mouth to actually taste the buttery rock rolls dear Mother had made for the sisters, they still looked delicious and like rocks, so I didn't know what to think anymore. Guess baking flowed in the family like a chocolate fountain.

One thing I appreciated was that Maud seemed to have, maybe not warmed up to me, but at the very least came to accept my existence. She hadn't really said anything or glance Pinkie and my way all that much. It eased my anxiety, that's for sure.

Not like rock harvests though, that spiked my anxiety like party drinks. But, hey, I wasn't in control for the rock harvest event itself, but that didn't mean I was going to rest on my laurels. I was going to have to work the rocks in the future, there was no question about that, and I'd be thrown in a cage in hell with a goat if I was going to just let Pinkamena do it alone. I helped her with math, I'd help her with rocks.

As for the snacking, it was nice and quiet. I don't know, somehow Maud knowing and seemingly accepting me eased the odd silence. Maybe I was just buying into some sort of stockholm syndrome. In the end I guess it didn't really matter since my kidnapper was the universe.

After the delightful snacking was over, dear Father led us outside to begin the harvest of rocks, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in what exactly went on with a harvest. Though, I suppose I could just have wanted something magical or unnatural to happen. Not seeing so much as a spiral of a unicorn in the supposed 'magical land' does things to you man.

Oddly enough, as we were walking along to wherever father was taking us, the sisters weren't complaining or even rolling their eyes. If anything they looked a little excited even. And by that I mean Marble looked more nervous than she was on the walk back, Limestone looked a bit more determined, or angry, than before, Maud was Maud and Pinkie was, once again, an unknown. I didn't think she was super tense, she didn't appear jittery at least, so I was resigned to hearing her inner thoughts once things began.

Unless the harvest was more mundane than the math, but I doubted that.

Dear Father led us to a stretch of land that contained interesting rocks of various shapes and sizes I did not believe was entirely natural. Considering there was what appeared to be a slightly rough, but otherwise completely fine circular pillar, I guessed I spotted the elusive earth pony magic at work. Or the fruits of said work.

Slow earth bending.

"Alright, girls. Your Mother and I believe you are ready to take on more responsibility with the rocks. We want you four to move as many ready rocks, boulders, geodes and slabs as you can manage, back to the drop off near home. Your Mother and I will attend to the preparation of a special order we have gotten. Should anything arise, please come get either me or your Mother to help."

How does one special order rocks? Like, building materials maybe? But, slabs wouldn't be out in random nowhere would they?

I would have asked Pinkie, but I doubt she'd know much more than me, and having her ask her Father at that moment would have just been awkward.

Either way, the sisters nodded and Dear Father went off to prepare the satanic building materials Chrysalis ordered or something, while the Pie squad prepared to set to work.

"Ugh, I didn't think Pa would make us move this much." Limestone lamented. I agreed with the filly, the only reason I didn't think the task was unreasonable was because there were four of them. But still, that's some back breaking work for such young ponyos.

"I am sure Pa wouldn't have given us more than he thought we could handle." Maud oh so helpfully chimed in.

Marble did not look eased by Maud's deduction however, "B-but, what if he's wrong?"

Well, I don't know what to tell ya Marble. But this is Equestria. Bad things happen because the plot demands, and sadly I lost the script like John Boyega and it's a dimension to the left now.

Silly little jokes known only to me aside, the combined worry of Marble and Limestone did nothing good for my nerves. Sure, transdimensional travel and mental transplantation should have been higher on my list, but something as little as obligation always shot my anxiety through the roof.

I wasn't even in control of the body and I feared failure on my part.

Either way, we stood in front of a valley of rock, including a rough pillar that was not quite yet a man. And nopony moved. I guess I was not the only one overcome with the nerves.

Pinkie glanced our vision towards our sisters and asked, "So, where do we start?" Seemingly just as slightly baffled as the rest of us.

With a shrug of her shoulders Limestone led us onward deeper into the subtly wacky world of earth pony rocks. I swear one looked like an eye and was staring at me. Not Pinkie. Me.

And 'we' set work.

Oh, so.

Very.

Slowly.

I mean, when Pinkie and I were moving rocks before, for whatever purpose Father could divine, we moved some decently sized rocks, but what we faced in that field was just ridiculous by comparison. The rocks seemed heavier and more lopsided, one was roughly shaped like the heaviest weighted die I ever saw, except I had never seen a weighted twenty sided die before. Then there was the wonky looking thing that somewhat resembled a half pipe. Even the rocks have destined professions in Equestria.

There wasn't anything impossible in the field per se, it was like cloud watching but with rocks. Rough shapes that could entirely be natural, if it were not for the fact so many of them were right next to one another.

'These rocks are weird.' I thought talked towards Pinkie.

'What do you mean Mena?'

'I don't know, I just think a rock in the near shape of a duck is weird to find lying around.' I didn't trust the duck rock. It was like any other rock, with a thin neck and rough duck like head. Even as we were a decent ways away, I swore I could see its beady little singular eye staring somewhere, with devious plotting within.

Pinkie paused her task of pushing quite the sizable rock to find my words odd, and when she finally replied I swore I could detect the faintest bits of annoyance upon her thoughts, 'It's just a rock...' That's what everyone says, and then Tom's rock army comes to get them.

Shrugging off my probably unjustified paranoia, Pinkie set back to work. And it really was as boring as it sounds. Even the stares of the duck rock quickly became dull. Why? It was just moving rocks. Maud moved the most un-round rock of the lot, having to alternate between flipping it onto another flat side and shoving it along as its edges dug into the dirt, while Marble and Limestone suffered something similar as they dragged quite the rectangle of rock into the distance. I guess they found the slabs.

I swear Maud was actually emoting. Her face pinched and twisted while toiling against the hard rocks, maybe not emoting as much as say Limestone or Marble, but hey. At least I knew she wasn't a robot, even if she seemingly had the strength and stamina to qualify as one. Seriously, I think she moved at least three equally cumbersome boulders since I last looked, if the mini trenches being formed were any indication. And almost fell off quite the cliff. Ramp. Thingy. It almost felt like the sisters were determined to get as many of the rocks away from it as possible before tired brains made mistakes. Which led to the almost falling. You know, after more than just a slight thought, a rock farm of such a caliber is actually quite dangerous.

It was these moments of geometric pain that Pa and Ma probably had some rock moving carts or wheelbarrow thingies lying around somewhere, and I think at least Maud and Limestone had similar thoughts, though Maud was more of a hunch than anything. Now why wouldn't they just go get the move thingies then, you ask? Simple, then they'd have to admit they didn't bring them.

I too was enveloped by the anxiety of being the first to bring it up, I did not ask Pinkie about such a thing, lest she be the first one to bring it up. But, I was getting bored from the rocks, so I decided to poke the working Pinka. 'So, compared to normal rock harvesting, how hard is this?'

'Hard,' The Pinka groaned, a twinge of venom on that thought. Obviously, I ask the best questions.

In the end, nopony went for a wheelbarrow or any kind of wheeled contraption and the Pie sisters just. Kept. Moving. Rocks.

And amongst moving rocks, Pinkie was starting to get... aggravated.

Yeah, while I was more occupied by the mind numbing moving of rocks and the weird shapes therein, I think Pinkie was judging herself to her sister's standard, which was Marble and Limestone working together quite frequently and Maud being, well, Maud. And I swear up an' down, on my very much possible grave back home that the only reason I didn't notice earlier was because Pinkie wasn't being mentally talkative and I wasn't used to reading her in other ways.

The first sign, that I noticed at least, was when she growled at quite the mountain of a rock, which I suppose was somewhat justified, as her mane was drenched with sweat by that point and my sense of time was crippled beyond belief, so who knows how long they'd been moving rocks.

I had a real big feeling in the back of my mind some kind of doozy would follow my question, but boredom is a lot like adrenaline, it makes you dumb. 'Uhm, what's wrong Pinks?'

For the record, I do regret asking that question.

As whatever barrier was keeping Pinkie from spilling the emotions over promptly snapped away, letting a tidal wave of emotion to crash upon me into silence. Yeah, I was wondering where all Pinkie's thoughts were, and my best guess was that she was repressing them harder than I do.

Of course as they were subconscious thoughts only recently brought up from being ignored I, being quite the inexperienced mind-spirit parasite, had an impossible time parsing what the thoughts even contained.

'What's wrong?'

And then I learned, the tidal wave hadn't happened yet, and it wasn't anywhere close to a tidal wave, it was much much worse.

It's hard to properly explain... anything that followed. It's like the mindscape exploded, giving me what had to be the worst migraine I ever had. It was so bad I instinctively clutched at my head, not only to try and pressuring the pain away, but to also try and block out the typhoon of pure, near intangible thought.

It was like Pinkie found the Mirror Pool early and the clones stepped into her brain purely to relay her deepest annoyances, all at once, at a volume I never thought possible and poured directly into my ears as a liquid, only every other word was taken randomly from the thought as a whole. I couldn't even react, really, it was just so sudden. Pair my inexperience of mind duckery along with Pinkie not being her later bundle of emotional bungee cords and I was left off balance, confused and maybe even mildly shell shocked.

To be quite honest I'm not sure how long I was 'out' as it were, due to the pain in the not my brain. The only reason I came back to the land of the living was because the thoughts abruptly stopped, probably aided by Limestone giving out a guttural, yet worried, roar, "PINKAMENA?!" Which was kind of funny given her small stature and squeaky voice. Hey, don't blame me for finding it funny, my being was still ringing.

Funny as it was, I still had the sense to try and see what was- Why is the mini mountain rock rolling at mach speed?!

Yes, I tuned back into reality and got the lovely picture of Pinkie running, quite impressively, after the previously growled at rock. Impressive because I only slightly exaggerated it's speed, and Pinkie was right on its tail, but I wanted to know one thing: 'How did it get this fast?!'

'I don't know! I only gave it a light kick!' Fair, honestly.

At least Pinkie was gaining on it, surprisingly, and Limestone wasn't far behind, combine that with the fact none of the other rocks were being so much as scratched and I'd say things were going pretty we- and there's the half pipe. Yeah, the pretty rough halfpipe looking construct was right in the path of the giant rock rolling around at the speed of obvious. Pinkie and Limestone seemed to notice as well, as they dug their hooves into the ground to drag to a halt.

While all three of us watched the giant rock roll up the half pipe and into the air quite a ways I heard Limestone groan, "Please crash into the ground and stop rolling..." Oh, poor, silly Limestone.

The giant rock did a sick 360 to the power of too many and landed it like a pro, turning the tables as it bore down on us.

Life is only cruel and would never be that kind, Limestone.

"Run!" Said Captain 'Obvious' Limestone, as the two of us with legs turned literal tail and ran, as Tom, as I've come to call that mother luckler, tried his darndest to crush them, and I was getting real tired of rocks trying to kill me and my charge.

As Pinkie and Limey both ran for their heinies I could actually see Marble and Maud for a split second. Marble looked completely distraught and Maud looked completely done. Or at least I think that's what their faces conveyed, as we rushed right on past them in the blink of an eye, and I had no idea where we were running to until the cliff of almost falling came into view, and hallelujah it was right in our line of running.

Not too soon after I noticed it Limestone spoke up over the rumble of once certain death, "Lose it behind the cliff!" Never before had I heard such anger and fear packed together so neatly.

Pinkie was too winded to answer, but her thoughts seemed to mirror my own. Mainly, 'I don't wanna die,' and as soon as they were able, they both jumped over the ramp, cliff thing's edge and pressed themselves against the cliff wall and ground in pure fear. Luckily, or unluckily, depending on your foresight, the giant rock practically flew off the cliff and a decent ways into the distance.

Pinkie and Limestone, upon seeing such a sight, both relaxed and let out deep breaths, Limestone grinding out some words to boot, "I- hah, hate this part- hoh, of the farm..."

I concu-

And then we heard the scream of, "WOAH!" that could only have come from Mother, and the tell tale crash of something fragile, and probably expensive, getting absolutely obliterated by Tom the mountain boulder.

Pinkie let out a light sob, which Limestone heard if her next words were any indication, "FUCKING ROCK!"

I concur small, salty for all the right reasons, horse child, I concur.


Before we knew it all four of the Pie sisters were much closer to home, moving smaller rocks, and an actual wheelbarrow cart thingy was in play. And everyone was miserable. Limestone had a face of dull anger, Marble just looked completely drained and almost mirrored Limestone, Maud was mostly the same and Dear Father also looked quite tired as he oversaw the reassignment.

Pinkie did not take it well. Whatever fire burned within her earlier to set the rock into motion at such incredible speed had been snuffed out at the result. The result, if Maud was correct, was Ma and Pa's rock sculpture order getting smash to smithereens. Nopony appreciated Maud's hypothesis. Marble had screamed a muffled scream, Limestone taught me some new profanity and Pinkie sobbed even more.

And I was feeling ever more like a worthless crap. I wanted to ease Pinkie's pain a bit, because whoo boy was she not good at that moment, but I just didn't have the damn words. Never good with words, but I wasn't going to just sit by and not try.

'We'll get through this.'

"Hmm?" Pinkie hummed in confusion, 'But I messed up...'

I nodded within the mindscape, 'We made mistakes. But, we'll learn from it.'

'How am I supposed to learn from not being as strong as Maud? As fast as Marble?'

I shrugged. 'We'll exercise. Grow some muscle, maybe do some acrobatics for reflexes? Mistakes aren't for dwelling, they're for overcoming.'

I'm not sure how much my words helped, but her head wasn't as low as it was before. That was better than nothing, at least.

What felt like only a few minutes of nosing rocks around and wheelbarrow-ing a bell rang from the house, catching everybody's attention. Limestone stretched and even Father cracked his neck and most everybody headed for the door. Except Maud, who walked up to us when we weren't looking. "Are you going inside, Pinkie? Mena?"

Pinkie seemed torn between appreciative and awkward, at least from an insider's perspective. "Ah, um, I think we'll stay out a little longer. Move a few more rocks."

Maud nodded, seemingly understanding Pinkie better than me. "Don't stay out too late." And so it was just me and Pinkie.

'Any reason to staying out?'

"Mmm, I just need a little bit to myself."

'Fair.'

She nosed a few more rocks into a pile and she sorta just stood there for a few moments, either looking at the house, or the sky above the house, either way, her mood seemed to become at least decently better.

"Sorry for blowing up at you Mena."

'Eh, it happens to the best of us. Think nothing of it.'

A bit more time of admiring, well, whatever time of day or evening it was went by before she spoke again, "Thanks Mena."

I wasn't exactly sure why she thanked me, but I wasn't about to question it, 'No problem Pinkie.'

Looking over the grey skies of the rock farm, I got the feeling it really wouldn't be that bad a place to literally start a new life. Half life. Sure almost getting squished by giant Toms and the lack of a shouty reprimand somehow being worse to the near silent treatment, aside, it really wasn't that bad. Sure, I'd miss my family, select group of friends and my fledgling dreams back home, but getting into a position to get back home would just be more pain than it's worth, I figured.

Gotta get taken seriously, have to tear open the fabric of reality, prove to people I'm not dead, re-traumatize my family, risk the US of A manifesting destiny in Equestria. Really, by the time I could go back, I probably wouldn't want to. Plus it'd just kill Pinkie and I couldn't do that to her.

And then the horizon exploded. I almost had a heart attack it happened so fast. If I had a heart. One moment it was grey skies with some clouds, the next it was a line of rainbow blowing away the grey and giving way to a much brighter blue, honestly making me question the time of day, again. Then there was the wind and the sound, it really was like a bomb went off. How the hell the rest of the Pie family could miss it I would never know. How the hell Rainbow wasn't mush from that was a question for later.

What I did know was, Pinkamena as she was, was no more and the rise of Pinkie Pie Premier Party Pony was near. As I stared from within the mindscape, through Pinkie's eyes I could even see the happy sparkles from the other side after witnessing such a spectacular display, and honestly I was little different.

"Wow..."
'Whoa...'

Already, I could hear the gears in her head turning on how to share the experience with her family, and while I knew the little peace and quiet I had inside Pinkie's mind was about to end, the inky blackness of the mindscape already giving way to much more color than there was before, Pinkie was happy, and I'd be damned if I'd be bothered by that.