• Published 6th Jan 2019
  • 1,212 Views, 34 Comments

Flash Colored - MythrilMoth



Flash Sentry yearns to be as colorful as the Rainbooms.

  • ...
23
 34
 1,212

Summer Sky

The week passed, as weeks do, with days of lessons and homework and band practice and hangouts and meetups blending together, one into the next, the dull routine of high school serving up a smoothie made of three parts bore to two parts snore to one part comfortable, chilled with familiarity and poured into a glass of monotony.

Friday came, and brought with it a soccer match. Flash, like most of the student body, turned out to fill up the bleachers at the soccer pitch, eager to cheer on Canterlot's soccer team—and in particular, its captain, Rainbow Dash.

It was hard not to envy Rainbow Dash. She was the guy every guy wished he could be, except she was not a guy, but a hot chick. Flash was all too aware of the locker room talk that circulated about Rainbow Dash—all of it—and he himself had to admit that, if the chance ever arose to go out with her, he'd probably dive on top of that chance and seize it like the last bottle of water in the desert in summer. But mostly, he admired Rainbow Dash for being all the things he wished he could be.

The gorgeous athlete and rocker pounded up and down the pitch, her cleats throwing tufts of turf into the air as she gracefully guided the ball where she wanted, deftly evading opponents and sending the ball careening toward teammates, then taking it back when it was kicked her way. Her sweat-slicked prismatic hair looked like a curtain of fine rainbow silk, and her glistening skin shone like a brilliant blue jewel on a dark green backdrop.

In his mind's eye, Flash pictured himself, his skin a vibrant blue like the summer sky and his hair a bonfire of spectral spikes, running up and down the basketball court, dribbling a pebbly orange ball, shoes squeaking on the polished wood. A defender would block him, and he'd jump over them, soaring...soaring...and at the apex of his jump, bright, feathery blue wings would burst forth from his back like some kind of angel of awesomeness, and carry him all the way to the hoop from center court, slamming the ball home just as the buzzer sounded. Then he'd fly laps around the court as his team and the fans cheered, and Rainbow Dash would pass his guitar up to him from the bleachers, and he'd jam power chords that even the opposing team would rock out to—

"Whoa there, big fella!" Callused hands grabbed Flash's shoulders and pushed him down. "Don't need you goin' divin' off the bleachers an' breakin' your neck!"

Flash shook his head; the soccer game returned, and a few people were looking at him either curiously or crossly. He looked up to see Applejack's emerald eyes staring down at him, half-concerned, half-playful. "Y' alright, sugarcube?" Applejack asked. "You looked mighty out of it for a second there." She paused, then asked tersely, "It ain't drugs, is it?"

"What? No!" Flash said indignantly. "I just..." He ducked his head. "Drifted off into a daydream."

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "If'n you say so," she said.

"Wow, Flashie, you've been doing that a lot lately," Pinkie Pie said from further down. "I mean, I'm all for letting my mind wander—sometimes it comes back with cake!—but maaaaybe you should get it under control a little better?"

"Y-yeah," Flash said roughly. "Sorry."

Below, Rainbow Dash scored a goal that came dangerously close to breaking the opposing goalie's wrist. The entire CHS side of the bleachers cheered; Rainbow pumped her fist in victory, then rushed over to the fallen goalie to check on him, helping him to his feet and checking his wrist. Once he assured her he was fine, she jogged back over to where she was supposed to be, and the game continued.

"So awesome," Flash whispered.