• Published 6th Aug 2012
  • 36,552 Views, 1,100 Comments

My Little Changeling: Friendship is Weird - Niaeruzu



A changeling attempts to learn about friendship in Ponyville.

  • ...
42
 1,100
 36,552

Epilogue

“One hundred and ninety-eight... One hundred and ninety-nine... Two hundred... Two hundred and—”

Suncloak looked up from the book he was writing in and dropped his quill. “Whoa. Two hundred.”

About six months had passed since he became ambassador, and completely against his expectations, many changelings came to Equestria. Turns out there’s a lot of changelings who wanted to try their luck. Changelings who already thought living among ponies was possible, changelings who didn’t trust Queen Chrysalis that much anymore after the failed invasion, or changelings who were bad at gathering love or plain down on their luck.

Even #21 had returned after a few months, claiming he missed his friends after all. Kind of like homesickness, except in reverse. Or something.

Over time, Ponyville got a bit crowded, so a few other towns and cities started accepting changelings as well. Since that meant Suncloak had to travel around Equestria a lot, to help out other changelings, it started getting difficult keeping up both his duties as an ambassador and learning about laws and politics.

That’s why he’d just recently gotten a spiffy new office in Canterlot! It was located in the castle, because apparently, an ambassador needed to have an office in the castle. It was close to the princesses, which was pretty scary, but on the other hoof, it had a really nice view of the city. The white and gold colour scheme was a little less nice, though. Then again, almost the entirety of Canterlot was white and gold, so Suncloak would just need to get used to it.

On top of that, the room was really big. Really high, too, for some odd reason. Almost as if it was a spruced-up gym room. At least it gave Suncloak enough space to store all of his ambassador-related stuff, even though the only things reaching to the ceiling were the windows. Currently, there was one bookshelf filled with books on laws, politics and everything in between, and one bookshelf that held all of his administration. Which wasn’t all that much.

It also had a really nice, but messy wooden desk that Suncloak worked at. It was almost always filled with several papers, books and other things. Around the desk were a few chairs, which Suncloak was pretty fond of. Sure beats doing all your work while standing. There was also a coat rack next to the big, golden double doors leading outside, but noling ever used that anyway. Suncloak always kept his cloak on during work.

Wearing his cloak reminded him not only of his friends in Ponyville, but also of what he had accomplished. It was kind of a shame that he couldn’t visit his friends as often as he liked, but they often came to visit Suncloak instead. He had a bunch of other reminders, too, like a preserved Poison Joke and the very first bit he earned, among others. Those were currently on display on his shelves, so he could look at them anytime he wanted.

He even took Emerald with him everywhere. Mostly because she wouldn’t leave Suncloak alone, but also because he did like her a little bit. She was currently sitting in a roomy glass cage behind him. Guests often found it appalling to have a moth flying around the room, for some strange reason.

Suncloak leaned back into his chair, staring at the book in front of him. “Sheesh. Two hundred Equestrian changelings. That’s... Wow.”

“A beautiful milestone, Your Excellency,” the mare sitting next to him said. Merry Weather, his personal assistant, a blue pegasus with a yellow mane and tail and matching eyes. Her cutie mark was one of a book and an abacus. She was incredibly well-versed in everything surrounding politics, and served not only as Suncloak’s assistant, but also as his teacher.

Suncloak groaned and rolled his eyes. “Seriously, you can stop it with the ‘Your Excellency’ stuff. ‘Suncloak’ is good enough.”

“Sorry, Yo— I mean, Suncloak.” Merry Weather raised an eyebrow. “You know, I thought you’d be happier about this.”

“I’m equal parts happy and surprised,” Suncloak said. He leaned forward and continued his count. Two hundred and three changelings in total. “I’m just a bit anxious. Someling at the hive has to have noticed all these vanishing changelings.”

“Undoubtedly,” Merry Weather said. “Especially considering multiple changelings decided to go back to their hives.”

Oh, right. A few changelings weren’t fans of living among ponies, so after trying it out for a few weeks, they decided to return home. No big deal, considering it was their choice to make, but still disappointing. They were only a hoofful, though.

Suncloak closed the book and picked it up, walking over to the bookshelf with all of his administration and putting it away. “Well, we’ll see about that when we get there. Anything left on the agenda for today?”

“Aside from your studies, absolutely nothing,” Merry Weather said. “Slow day today.”

“Great!” Suncloak said, walking over to his other bookshelf. “So, what’re we doing today? Legislation? Ta—”

A sudden, very loud knocking on the door interrupted him. He gave Merry Weather a curious glance, but the mare only shrugged in response. Confused, Suncloak went over to the double doors and opened. “Good afternoon, but I’m currently not—”

Once again he was interrupted, this time by a pink unicorn mare with an incredibly pompously styled purple mane and matching tail, who shoved him out of the way with her magic. She was wearing a pretty ugly, frilly red dress. In fact, Suncloak knew who this was. “I demand to speak to the changeling ambassador!” she shouted, standing in the middle of the room.

Suncloak went over to his desk and sat down. The mare who had just entered was known as High Mighty, and was the chairpony of the Anti-Changeling Society, or ACS for short. The ACS was a small group of ponies who weren’t fond of the idea of living together with changelings, and regularly tried to oppose Suncloak’s every move. They could actually give some meaningful insights every now and then, though.

“That’d be me,” Suncloak said. “You should know that by now. Why are you here again? We talked yesterday, and we didn’t make a new appointment or anything.”

The two pony guards who stood watch in front of the room entered, but Suncloak casually motioned for them to leave and close the door. Something wasn’t right here, and he wanted to find out.

High Mighty’s face became unreadable for a few seconds. “I am merely here to voice a concern. If you changelings stay here, who knows what you might attract from the changeling queen?”

Suncloak hopped out of his chair, walking to Emerald’s cage. “You already brought that up a few weeks ago. I assure you, we can handle it.” He opened the cage, letting Emerald out.

Emerald fluttered around, first perching on Suncloak’s horn, then taking off again. She avoided Merry Weather, only to go straight for High Mighty and sit on her horn.

High Mighty scowled, batting at Emerald, causing the moth to retreat to her cage. “What is this? A dirty, ugly bug, in the castle? How unsanitary!”

“Hey, Emerald is not dirty,” Suncloak said, closing Emerald’s cage and returning to his chair. “And besides, she has a reason for doing that. You see, she doesn’t like ponies. She won’t even touch them. The only thing she’s fond of is changelings.” He smirked. “So you can drop the disguise, whoever you are.”

High Mighty grumbled, her voice turning deeper and more sultry. “Caught by a stupid bug. And I’m not talking about the moth.” With a large whirl of green flames, she transformed.

A changeling stood in her place a second later. A very tall changeling, about twice Suncloak’s height. Slender and feminine, too. Her carapace was a toxic green, and her wings had a similar tinge. She had green, serpentine eyes, a dark blue, very long mane and tail, and a thin crown on her head.

As Merry Weather recoiled out of fright, Suncloak propped himself up on the desk. “Queen Chrysalis? What in the hive are you doing here?!” he shouted furiously.

“I could ask you the same thing, drone!” Queen Chrysalis said, stepping forward and leaning towards him. “My changelings have been disappearing, and then I find out they’re collaborating with ponies?!”

“We’re not ‘collaborating’.” Suncloak growled, showing his teeth. “We’re living together. In peace. A lot better than you ever managed.”

“You’ve got some nerve!” Queen Chrysalis shouted, grabbing Suncloak with her magic and lifting him up in the air, squeezing him tightly. “And you know what I do with changelings who have the nerve to talk back to me.”

Merry Weather cleared her throat. “I would advise against that. His Excellency, Ambassador Suncloak of Equestria, is not only an Equestrian citizen, but also a government official. Any act of aggression towards him counts as an act of aggression toward Equestria itself. Considering the information of changeling hives we now possess, you would be at a clear disadvantage.”
Suncloak gave an awkward grin. “You know, she knows a lot about laws and stuff like that. I’d listen to her,” he wheezed.

Queen Chrysalis mulled this over for a second before pushing Suncloak back into his chair and letting go. “If you were still part of the hive, I’d have banished you for that.”

“Well, you did that to me once already,” Suncloak said in between heavy breaths. “And look where that got me.” He gestured at all of his new stuff, and the room in general. Not bad for a banished changeling.

“I did that before?” Queen Chrysalis raised an eyebrow. “I think I would’ve... Oh! You must’ve been that incompetent guard I threw out of the hive after the invasion, when I really needed to vent. At least it did the trick.”

Suncloak’s jaw fell open. “I... You... Vent?! You threw me out because you needed to vent?!” He slammed his hooves on the desk, shaking it and spilling various papers all over the floor. “You didn’t even have a good reason?!” Suncloak shouted. “I’m not even surprised so many changelings are leaving you anymore!”

The double doors opened slightly, but Queen Chrysalis forced them shut with her magic and blocked it by sliding the coat rack through the door’s handles. Whatever guards had heard the ruckus, they’d have a tough time getting in now. “Well, I didn’t expect this to happen. I thought you’d just starve.”

Suncloak snorted and grit his teeth. “Starve? No. I found something better.” He leaned over his desk, looking at the scattered papers. “Uh, Merry? Could you help me out with this?”

Merry Weather nodded, picking up the various papers and organizing them in a neat stack, depositing it on the desk.

“Thank you, Merry,” Suncloak said, settling back into his seat. “When you banished me, you threw me in the direction of a town called Ponyville. You might not know that name, but it’s the village where the Elements of Harmony live.”

Queen Chrysalis chuckled. “Ah, those six ponies from the wedding. How appropriate for them to be your punishment.”

Suncloak raised an eyebrow. “Punishment? Maybe only for the first few days. They taught me about the love of friendship, and I started living in that town. Not much later, I’m approached by changelings who wanted to learn how to live like me.” He leaned back in his chair, smirking. “Long story short, I’m the highest representative of Equestrian changelings now, and other changelings are really eager to join me in living here.”

“What a horribly sweet story. Thank you for keeping it short,” Queen Chrysalis snarked. “I’ll need you to return those changelings to me, though.”

Suncloak rolled his eyes. “I’m afraid I can’t do that, Your Highness. They came here of their own free will and stayed here of their own free will. They’re protected by Equestrian laws, no longer forced to obey your idea of ‘fair rules’.” He even made the air quotes with his hooves to drive the point home.

Queen Chrysalis snorted. “Ridiculous. I am the queen of changelings! You answer to me, and noling else!”

“Not anymore, we don’t,” Suncloak said. “Living among ponies gave us friendship. Identities. Freedom to do whatever we please, and we never have to worry about food ever again. We are not anyling’s property. We answer to ourselves.”

A loud, smashing sound resonated throughout the room. Ponies on the other side of the door were trying to get in, and it didn’t sound like they were all that concerned with any potential property damage.

Queen Chrysalis ignored it. “Bah. You think like a pony. I have no further business with you.” A green circle of flame appeared on the ground, surrounding her. “I will get my changelings back. They will return, whether they want to or not.” A green dome surrounded her, pulling her into the ground. “And there’s nothing you can do to stop that.” A few seconds later, she disappeared, along with the flames.

Not even a second after that, the doors burst open, reducing Suncloak’s coat rack to splinters. Two guards, both white pegasi wearing golden armour, ran into the room. “Cha— I mean, Your Excellency!” one of them said. “We heard shouting. Are you alright?”

Merry Weather stared at the spot Chrysalis had been standing on just a few seconds ago before looking at Suncloak. “W-We’re alright. We just had a... an odd run-in with somepony. You can leave us.”

“Very well,” the other guard said. “We’ll, uh... we’ll get somepony to clean up this mess,” he said, looking at the scattered remains of the late coat rack. The two guards quickly left, politely closing the door behind them.

Suncloak stared straight ahead for a few seconds. He got up from his chair, walking over to the bookshelf filled with study material, and scanned the titles. He grabbed one of the books and put it on his desk.

Merry Weather leaned in to check the title. “‘A History of Canterlot’? Why would you grab this book all of a sudden?”

“The queen made me remember something,” Suncloak said as he sat down and opened the book. “Something I said quite some time ago.” He browsed through the book, occasionally taking a moment to look at a depiction of an old map of Canterlot. “I said I’d do something if I ever started thinking like a pony.”

Eventually, he stopped at a recent map. One that illustrated not the streets of Canterlot, but the winding and labyrinthine tunnels of the gem mines located underneath the city.

Suncloak grinned and put his hoof on the map. “I think it’s time we started building our own hive.”

Author's Note:

And thus, this fic is at an end! It's been a blast writing this.

Why end it here? Well, I just couldn't come up with more fun ideas for episodes. Is this the end of Suncloak's story? No. There will be another sequel! Why make yet another sequel? Because of many shifts in in the story. It'll be different, but it'll still be all... changeling-y.

I'm actually sort of disappointed to end it here, but I'd rather end it on a high note than have new episodes be sub-par. It's been a lot of fun writing and seeing everyone's reactions. Thanks to the thousands (!!!) of people who enjoyed this story, not only for your kind words, but also for sticking with the story during its little hiatus. I've learned a lot through all this!

Got any questions? Want to tell me how much you hate me for ending it here? Got a favourite episode, or a favourite moment? Stuff you didn't like as much? Share it in the comments, and I'll be happy to answer and/or be disappointed because you hate me! Or I might just snark. Snarking is good.

Comments ( 204 )

... Wait, a hive? And Suncloak has plans... Okay, I might as well swallow this rather than ask for one more chapter on how a hive can survive without a proper queen, but considering Suncloak's position, I'd say he'd be the leader. So, kudos to him and his effort to prove his former queen.

A great story, a great ending, though still asking a bit more, but all in all, a great and wonderful ride this was.

Fuckin' a. :moustache:

Wow, great ending to the story man. I hope it also leaves room for a sequel? Either way fantastic story and enjoyed it immensely! :twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

Sequel Yay! Keep up the good work buddy.

Simply fantastic, and I think you set it up for quite an interesting new tale there. I'd be curious to see what happens with the other original changelings in Ponyville, especially Shining Nova! Fantastic job, and thank you for bending words to your will and making such a wonderful story! Eagerly looking forward to whatever lies ahead!

Shining Nova and Suncloack have to become a couple. :pinkiehappy:

Want to tell me how much you hate me for ending it here?

But you're not ending it here. There's a sequel! And from what you've given as teasers in this chapter it's going to be awesome! I can't wait.:rainbowkiss:

Confused Suncloak went over to the double doors (there should be a comma there I believe)

Really good and original sequel to a story.

I think that was an excellent spot to end it, especially with the whole Chrysalis ranting scene. :pinkiehappy: In the previous chapter, you made the changelings change their manes and tails so they could be told apart. :twilightsmile: Don't forget to add that in the sequel, which I will be eagerly waiting for. :rainbowkiss:

This was a very satisfying conclusion. I salute you and look forward to whatever you have in mind.

I'm glad you're continuing Suncloak's story, and that you aren't trying to make it conform to episode format anymore. That wasn't really working out. Onwards to hive hysterics!

You never mentioned how the friendship report they were working on throughout the story was received by Chrysalis. I suppose she didn't take it well?

Awesome! Slightly abrupt ending....
BUT AWESOME! Looking forward to the sequel!
(I'd also love to help any way I can.)
-RB

Please Please PLEASE make the sequel with a ShiningCloack shipping. :pinkiehappy:

Since Nova wasn't mentioned by name here in the epilogue despite what was sort of implied last chapter, will we be seeing the potential for that implication in the next sequel?

DUDE!! WE WOULD NEVER HATE YOU:pinkiegasp:!!!, i meen suncloak with his own hive, I THINK WE LOVE YOU EVEN MORE:pinkiehappy:!!! (no homo way of love, but you know, like awesome work love) i can't wait to see that sequel, take all the time you need, 'cause good thing come with time and this is an :pinkiehappy:EXTRASUPERULTRAFANTASTICLYAMAZINGLYGOOD thing so i think it will take a while but dont worry.

ALL HAIL SUNCLOAK THE KING OF EQUESTRIAN CHANGELINGS:raritystarry:

wait, how is this gonna effect suncloak? in an insectoid race with a genetic monarchy generaly in abscence of a queen, the one who takes charge metamophisizes into a queen.

This was a very good story, really deserving the sequel :].
All I ask is MOAR Suncloak and MOAR Changelings. I don't have to ask for quality as you got this part covered :scootangel:.

2415749

I don't think Cadence would appreciate that very much.

:rainbowwild:

2415810
Suncloack X Shining Nova I meant.

Best changeling shipping :moustache:

Yeah, this story is finished. MLC:FiW is a story about a changeling in Ponyville learning lessons about friendship and sharing them with other changelings. Suncloak is no longer doing that, he finished studying Friendship and has now moved on to something else. Since his story is no longer about studying friendship then it needs a new "book" with a new more current theme. Tolkien didn't put the 'Lord of the Ring's trilogy along with Bilbo's story in one book and call it all 'The Hobbit' did he? No, he ended the story when it stopped being about Bilbo adventuring with dwarves and made a sequel.


2415702

Why end it here? Well, I just couldn't come up with more fun ideas for episodes. Is this the end of Suncloak's story? No. There will be another sequel!


2415749>>2415813 There is only one 'C' in the word cloak.

You did not just do this, ..... How long am I waiting this time around.... I want more bug pony goodness

A Wonderfull Story with an open end.

Cant wait to read the next sequel. Sunclock is building his own Hive? Sounds very Interesting^^

An excellent ending to and excellent fiction. Bravo sir!
BRAVO SIR!!

Excellent way to end this arc. May the next be as adventerous.:raritywink:
I shall await further releases.:pinkiesmile:

YES THERE IS GOING TO BE MORE!!!

When the sequel is ready could you post it as a link?

You know, it's interesting to look back on both stories briefly; the first one was 23 000 words, and very entertaining but with a slightly more serious aspect to it. This second one, was 96 000 words, and though it didn't really have the serious aspect, it was much more entertaining. If this trend for growth continues into the third, which by the sounds of it will stray away from comedy more towards serious again. . .

I will be one very happy camper. :pinkiehappy: I love the comedy aspect of these last two, but I still like my drama. :raritywink:

will this have another sequel? i eagerly await a new sequel

if you don't make an sequel

The party WILL have a word with ya

I rather enjoyed this story, I don't know why you would believe people would be snarky about it though. I mean, its a pretty decent story, Suncloak is pretty cool for a changeling, it put the changelings into a different light, I was happy that the mane six were not used for secondary characters, and it was enjoyable enough to where I wanted to keep reading the story. And, I... am kinda excited for the sequel, I mean, I want to see what Crysalis is going to do about having her changelings leave the hive.

So keep up the good work Niaeruzu, I would hate to see a good good writer, such as your self, fade out into oblivion. :moustache:

yay pissed off chrissy the princess will need to know about this though ASAP she is an enemy of the state after all

OH COME ON! when will suncloak and nova finally make little changeling babies!?
>:D
but seriously this is a great story and a great end since you said another part is on the way i cant wait! :D
this ending would usually annoy the hell out of me but since another part is coming it leaves me hungry for more >:3

2415904
I think you're getting your stories confused. You might be thinking of When They Found Us...


Well, I thought it was odd that Suncloak didn't get his... suncloak until the penultimate chapter. I mean, I knew it would happen, because Rarity does that sort of thing, but still. I guess he didn't need anything to distinguish himself from other changelings until then. Whatever.
I'd like to see you work an albino changeling into the sequel at some point, if only because you've established that changelings don't like white. :rainbowwild:
At any rate, keep up the good work! :heart:

2416054 I am not getting any stories mixed up. *points at the cover art* The others have often been placed as changelings, which is the common thing among all but Vinyl. No, I have not read this and don't really care to. Just saw that tidbit and, well, yeah.

Next one better have a Romance tag for #14!

Things just got alot more interesting. :pinkiehappy:

WOW Chrysalis is stupid. I expected her to be stubborn, but I didn't think she was dumb. :facehoof: :rainbowlaugh:

thanks for a good story what the next going to be called

HA, take that, queenie! Well, it look like we got ourselves a major antagonist...who is also the antagonist to the Mane 6. Man, she seems to love picking fight with everyone, and it is going to come back to bit her in the rear-end.

I wonder what Suncloak is planning? Well, whatever the case might be, I can say that it will be big. Congrats on finishing another saga, keep up the great job!

2416070 The ponies on the cover art are the friends of Suncloak, they have not been turned into changelings.

Ah man, an epilogue. Sad to see the story go but it's been a fun ride, and the sequel sounds fun with the potential for a changeling hive under Canterlot – I'm a sucker for that sort of fantasy world city. And this is a good stopping point, the overall story of additional changeling defections has been covered, so what comes next makes sense as a new story.

Incidentally, one of my moth battle pets in WoW is named Emerald because of this story.

2416124
I'm more surprised the guards didn't go get Celestia.:rainbowderp:

Sad to see this go after an interesting epilogue, but then again you made it easy to start a good sequel. Looking forward to the continuing craziness that is Suncloak's life!

Great, great story Niaeruzu! I've been following this since chapter two, and I'm really happy with how well it turned out to be. I can't wait for the next story :D

Emerald is Best Moth.

Not the coat rack...

Damnit, guards, you had one job! ONE!

Oh, and cool ending, I guess.

ONE! JOB!

Yeah, I thought you were on the verge of wrapping up this fanfic. But at least I've got another to look forward to. :raritystarry:

For Chrysalis, I have a message in the words of Gordon Freeman (Ross Scott):
"I am going to find a dunce cap so you can wear it!"
For Niaeruzu, I have a message in the words of bronycurious:
"It's ingenious."
For myself, I have a message in the words of TundraStanza:
"Why am I using so many quotes?"
:rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment