• Published 29th Dec 2018
  • 12,074 Views, 224 Comments

Passed On - Scampy



"You probably thought the pain would disappear with you, but it didn't. It just passed on to someone else." — Twilight Sparkle returns to the human world following her conversation with Sunset. Sequel to Last Light.

  • ...
22
 224
 12,074

III - All the Same Mistakes

It was another ten minutes before they were moving through the hall in silence. Twilight had required time both to recollect her composure, and to build enough willpower to leave Sunset’s side. Exiting that tiny room was the hardest thing Twilight had ever done.

Redheart had implied that the break room where she had taken the other girls was very close by, yet time seemed to stretch into eternity as Twilight made her way there. Her heart pounded in her ears with every step, and her analytical mind fought the creeping dread of seeing her human friends with a calculated list of questions and demands she would have of them.

“It’s just in here,” Redheart said, snapping Twilight out of her anxious reverie. The two of them came to a unlabeled door inconspicuously hidden beside the restrooms. Twilight’s stomach was in knots as Redheart turned the knob.

“Girls?” The nurse called out, as if she wasn’t sure they were there. “How’s everyone doing?”

A series of barely audible mumbles and sighs were the reply. Twilight peeked past Redheart to see the break room, and saw five girls sunken into abject misery. Redheart turned and nodded to her, ushering her inside.

Applejack was sitting at a table in the center of the room, facing away from the door, with Rarity and Fluttershy in chairs beside her. Her hat was resting on the table before them, and Twilight could see that Applejack’s hands were curled into fists so tight that her hands were white.

Rarity had collapsed onto the table, with one arm stretched out and the other curled in to serve as a makeshift pillow. She wore a dull jacket with the hood pulled up, and Twilight could just barely make out Rarity’s expression beneath it—a completely blank stare. Fluttershy sat beside her with her head in her hands, filling the room with soft, trembling cries.

In the corner, Pinkie Pie sat on the ground, curled up into a ball. More than anything, she looked confused, like a child unsure of why they were being punished. Twilight was sure she heard Pinkie muttering something to herself, but whatever it was, she couldn’t make it out at all.

Rainbow Dash was in the opposite corner of the room, leaning against the wall. Her hands were stuffed into her pockets as she crossed and uncrossed her legs, staring at the floor. She appeared lost in thought, as though the events of the past few hours had not quite set in yet, and she was still deciding how she felt about it all.

As Twilight entered the room and closed the door behind her, Rarity was the first to look up and see her. She jumped in her seat, the noise startling Fluttershy into lowering her hands. All the girls stared at Twilight, and in that moment, all of her anticipated actions fell out from under her, and she felt a pressure building up behind her eyes. The tears began to fall, and all Twilight could manage to say was one word.

“Why...?”

The girls looked among themselves, as if each was expecting the others to answer. As the silent seconds ticked on, Twilight felt a different surge swelling within her.

“Why did my friend kill herself?” Twilight asked, her tone hardening with every word.

“It’s my fault,” Rainbow Dash blurted out. As Twilight looked at her, she could feel the edges of her anger softening. Rainbow Dash sunk a little further into the corner, like she was expecting Twilight to attack her. “Don’t be upset with the others, Twilight. I’m the reason Sunset’s gone,” she said.

“Now hold on a minute,” Applejack said. “Don’t go taking on all the blame, Dash. None of us took her at her word. We all pushed her out, and we’re all responsible.” Even as Applejack tried to comfort her friend, Twilight could hear her voice wavering.

“Just don’t, AJ,” Rainbow Dash said. “I’m the one who made her step off th-that...” Unable to finish her sentence, she fell to the floor, curled up in the same position as Pinkie Pie.

Twilight’s eyes scanned the room. Hostility and sadness rose and fell like sine waves, conflicting and intensifying each other with every crest. Twilight wanted to scream and shout and pound the wall. She wanted to embrace each of the girls in their lowest moment with the hopes that she could stave off their despair for however brief a time. She wanted to turn and run, run all the way back to the portal and shatter the mirror to leave this horrible place behind her forever.

“Tell me what happened,” Twilight said. Her tone was indecipherable, even to herself.

“Y’see,” Pinkie Pie said, “there’s this site where people were—”

“I already know,” Twilight interrupted, which Pinkie flinched at. “Tell me what happened to Sunset.”

“Uhm...” Rarity spoke up. “People thought she was the one spreading secrets around,” she said. “It seemed like the things going up could only have come from her, and it was all so embarrassing and personal and we were all so angry...”

Twilight watched as Rainbow Dash raised her head just enough to look Twilight in the eyes. “I said some really awful things to her,” Rainbow Dash said. “And on the night she jumped, I...” She trailed off as she looked away again.

Twilight took a deep breath. “Rainbow Dash, I’m going to ask you something, and I need you to tell me the truth,” she said. As she did, she realized she was speaking in the same voice Celestia had used the few times she had scolded Twilight as a child. Even as she tried to mimic the princess’ composure, she thought of what Sunset had told her about the night she had tried to die, and tears and fury bubbled up inside her.

“Did you tell Sunset to kill herself?”

The gasps of the other girls filled the room. For a split second, everything was completely silent.

“What? N-no!” Rainbow Dash shouted. “Why would you even—?”

“Because she did,” Twilight said. “Just after she saw you.”

At that, Rainbow Dash shut her mouth. She curled into an even tighter ball and buried her head in her knees.

“Twilight...” Fluttershy’s voice was barely above a whisper, so much so that Twilight strained to hear. “Please don’t be too hard on Rainbow Dash. She and Rarity, uhm...” She glanced up at her, and Twilight could see terror in Fluttershy’s pleading eyes. “They saw...”

“Saw?” It took Twilight a moment to realize what she meant. “O-oh, you mean... Oh.”

Twilight felt as though she’d been punched in the gut. Why did she say that? She knew Rainbow Dash would never have said anything so awful, and yet she’d asked anyway. Was it just to hurt someone who was already in agony? Why would she ever do something like that? Twilight didn’t want to hurt anyone, and yet here she was, actively seeking to drag Rainbow Dash even deeper into despair.

Without a word, she crossed the room and stood before Rainbow Dash. As she did, the room went quiet, as if the other girls were holding their breath.

“Rainbow Dash,” she said. Rainbow Dash looked up, her eyes wide with fear and brimming with tears. Twilight motioned for her to stand, which she did, albeit slowly.

Twilight looked at the girl before her. She thought of Sunset, reduced to such a state of misery that she took her own life, all because her friends had abandoned her and tormented her in her darkest moment.

Twilight would not do the same now.

She pulled Rainbow Dash into a hug, resting her head on her friend’s shoulder. For a moment, Rainbow Dash seemed frozen. Then, she lurched forward and fell into Twilight’s arms, her entire body shaking as she cried out all her sorrow.

Twilight closed her eyes, holding her sobbing friend a little tighter. “Why don’t you four go see Sunset? We’ll be behind you shortly.”

There were a few murmurs of agreement, and the girls started to leave. As Twilight listened to them go, she felt a hand on her back.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy whispered. Twilight did not reply.

After the other girls were gone, Rainbow Dash finally spoke up. “How c-could you forgive m-m-me so easily?” She sobbed, her voice cracking.

Twilight pulled back, keeping her hands on Rainbow Dash’s shoulders. “I haven’t,” she said. “I don’t know if I ever will.”

Rainbow Dash just stared at her. “B-but then why...?”

“That doesn’t mean I want you to suffer,” Twilight said. “There’s been enough of that already.”

“Twilight...” Rainbow Dash shivered, then broke down crying again. Twilight said nothing, and only pulled her into an embrace once more.