• Published 27th Dec 2018
  • 1,238 Views, 229 Comments

High Seas of Adventure - Silver Dragon Blade Wing



The Mane Six, along with the Ponies of Ponyville, travel the high seas with a powerful pirate lord in search of a great treasure.

  • ...
1
 229
 1,238

Interlude 2

Open Sea

5 Hours after the Tower Clash

Equestrian Fleet

Juggernaut Alicorn of Freedom

Wave Surfer gazed out over the calm and clear water, thinking about what had happened. The message had been a surprise but despite him saying that Razor would have kept his word almost none of the others believed it and geared up for a fight, and got their tails handed to them, hard. Wave had heard of the "Wreck Golems" of the Outcasts, but had never seen them with his own eyes.

From the tales he had heard however, those Golems were highly feared by enemies of the Outcasts. Tales of armies swept aside like they were nothing as any damage to the Wreck Golems rapidly repaired. From what Wave knew the Outcasts didn't start using them until at least fourteen years ago, give or take, a year or so after the Rise of the Outcasts War. He'd only heard of them being deployed a few times but each was a game changer that won the Outcasts major victories, enough to make a serious impact on the balance of power in the Sea of Legends, and maybe beyond.

Wave signed as the sound of hoof steps came up to him.

"You okay Wave?"

Looking over he found himself looking at Blade Wind, the Earth Pony Mare who was Captain of the Guard. Over the time since Wave had come aboard and they had booped each other's snouts, the two had grown quite close. They weren't at the dating stage yet but the way things were going those watching from afar thought it was only a matter of time.

"Yeah, just thinking."

Blade stood next to him and looked out across the water.

"About what?"

"About what happened a few hours ago. While I'm glad no one was lost, and the worst injury was Dragon Lord Ember's wing, I can't help but feel that meeting Razor with an army was the wrong move."

"How so Wave? And be straight with me, no hiding anything."

Wave looked at her.

"Blade, Razor Tail is one of the most dangerous pirates to sail the Sea of Legends. He's survived so much from storms to Pirate Hunters and now he leads a faction that no one outside of it knows how big. The saying is that Razor has the drive, the ambition, and the resources to unite the various pirate gangs, smuggler rings, privateer fleets, Merchant armadas, and other sailors of any kind that live here under his banner. Well... who said he hasn't already?"

Blade blinked in surprise.

"Are you saying he's already done that?!" Wave shrugged.

"It's possible, I mean... it has been fifteen years since he first showed up and the ROFO War. That's plenty of time to do many things."

Blade looked away for a minute, thinking over this new information, then looked at Wave again.

"Wave, if Razor has done just that, why hasn't he made any moves? If the Outcasts are a hidden World Power they could effectively control not just the Sea of Legends but possibly others as well."

"From what I know, which isn't much I'm afraid, Razor fears that the Outcasts will be facing the entire world once they reveal themselves, so he wants to be prepared for a possible war."

"Well, the only ones that would be a threat, at least in terms of Naval power, would be Equestria and the Caribou, the latter of which is losing that power."

Wave nodded.

"Yes, but Razor isn't taking any chances. After all, with a bounty that high on his, if you want peace..."

"...Prepare for war." Blade finished, that made sense. Her father has always told her that it was better to be prepared for a possible threat, and never actually face it, then to face a possible threat and not be ready for it. After that the two said nothing as Blade put a foreleg around Wave and pulled him against her, not that he minded as he pressed his body into her as much as he could, even giving her cheek a small nuzzle, as they stared out over the sea.


At the same time

Celestia stared at the document in her magic, unsure of what to make of it. During their talk Razor had calmed that he had been the firstborn son of that Earth Pony Noble, had calmed that never find proof as when he locked the Kirin away he made absolutely sure the world never knew of the Newt. But one document had survived, the one in her magic. It was quite old, worn, and a bit moldy with most of it not really being readable, but there was enough for Celestia to see that Razor had been telling the truth. That he had been that Noble's son.

Celestia honestly wasn't sure what to think, she had long known of the things that Noble had done, both to Ponies and other Creatures, but she had never been able to get what she would have needed to end it as for one he never stayed in Canterlot for more than a day at the longest and he had been very good at covering his tracks, not to mention his wealth and connections. But clearly his luck ran out that night, when the Outcast finally caught him.

As much as Celestia didn't want to admit it, Razor had done her a favor in killing that Noble as without him the things he had set up would eventually collapse into nothingness.

Celestia set the document down, deep in though. She had made the mistake of underestimating the Western Kirin Pirate Lord, and had payed for it. Thankfully there were no lost of live though plenty were injured with Ember's being the worst with a broken and dislocated wing. Those Wreck Golems had been a huge shock, while it was true that Golems were not a new thing, ones that big were once thought impossible.

Razor had just proven that it was in fact possible.

She let out a sign as she rubbed her snout, it was clear to her that Razor Tail was a greater threat than she first thought, Celestia had believed that he was just like any ordinary pirate but the use of such magic and the skill during the tower fight had all but shattered that belief. Razor was clearly skilled in Kirin Rune Magic, and likely still had many tricks up those gauntlets of his. Plus, she had yet to see his ship. Wave had said that it was massive, but he had very little knowledge on that front. Still, it was only one ship, the Equestrian Fleet was two-hundred and fifty strong plus the powerful Juggernaut. No ordinary Pirate ship could hope to stand against that power.

Celestia knew however that they would need to engage him more cautiously next time, and she doubted he'd be alone.


Later

Once everycreature had gathered in the Captain's Cabin again, they asked Wave what he knew of the Kirin pirate Lord.

"Well not much besides what I've already told you... Archduke Razor Tail is said to one of the most powerful Pirate Lords to sail the Sea of Legends, since he first appeared founded the Outcasts he's been slowly yet steady building up the faction. As far as I know Razor has a full approval rating and his creatures are as loyal to him as one could get, thanks to freeing them from the likes of the Caribou and Northern Trade Union."

"But... why doesn't he have Bounty and Pirate Hunters after him all the time?" Celestia asked, "He has the largest bounty I've ever seen."

"There are a few reasons for that: One; Razor has killed every single one that has tried to get that bounty, after which he sends out boxes holding the heads of those hunters back to their employers with the words "Some bounties aren't worth taking.". He's done it enough times that most hunters flat out refuse to take it. Two; His creatures, if Razor is killed than the one who did it will spend the rest of their days being hunted by Razor's Outcasts, who will not stop until they have avenged him. And three; His Head Officers, if Razor was killed they would have to be too, and trust me that would not be easy. Each one is a Pirate Lord in their own right and have tricks of their own."

There was a long pause as the gathered Creatures went over what Wave had said, not really sure on what to say. Finally Celestia sighed.

"Thank you for the information Wave, we have a number of things to go over but we don't need you here for that. You may leave now."

Wave nodded and stood up, Blade escorting him to the door where he stopped. Wave turned to Celesita.

"Princess, Do you really want to bring Razor down? I know and understand your motives, but he isn't like those you faced in the past. He's not a giggling psychopath like Discord was, a snarling, rage-fueled force of mindless hatred like Sombra, willing to gloat over his victories like Chrysalis, nor a megalomaniac like Nightmare Moon was. He's smart, calm, and patient. He's always thinking, always making plans and has plenty under his hat. He's adaptable, and as I said before, nothing like those you have faced. Sombra was a thug who relied on brute force, Chrysalis was a showoff who threw away her best advantages just so she could strut and preen. Discord was clever, but he was so busy being clever he outsmarted himself. Unlike Chrysalis Razor's Outcasts are very loyal, well trained and disciplined, and do not fear death, what they fear is things going back to the ways before the Outcasts rose up, that they'll end up back in chains. To quote an Outcast saying: "My death marks the beginning of a life in fairer lands." They firmly believe it is better to die standing then live in chains.

His Outcasts are loyal to him because he cares about them, he makes sure they lay on their beds with a full stomach. Razor is a father to his Outcasts, they're his Clan. A good number of them are even former members of the NTU, the Outcats' main enemy.

Others say they're draft, the Outcasts laugh and agree with a smile. Razor could have easily killed you and your sister on Tower Island, and yet he didn't. Because he doesn't want to, but even he has his limits. If you push him too far, he will get serious."

With that Wave left the room, his words hanging in the air.


Unknown Area

It was a cloudy but otherwise calm day as Razor flew through the air, his massive wings flapping once in a while to keep him airborne as he soared over the rocky waters as the waves crash against the spires below, he was here on a mission, and to visit an old friend. It wasn't long before a small island came into view, a descent-sized port was located on the north side but Razor's goal was the tall, purple and gold Library/Observatory-like building that sat atop a cluster of rock spires overlooking the island.

It didn't take long for him to reach a balcony and with a great flap of his wings he landed hind legs first. Once he had fully landed Razor folded his wings and entered the building, walking through the corridors until he reached the top dome. The room was circular in shape with a diameter of fifty feet, most of the walls were lined with full bookshelves with only a few sections holding something else. The room had a height of six stories with a set of spiral stairs leading up to a platform on the sixth story under the Observatory's telescope. On the main floor of the room was a desk, a center table with two chairs, and numerous other small tables with pictures and other odds and ends one would find in a place like this. There was also a large wall-mounted fish tank hold rare fish and a large fireplace where a fire currently burned.

Razor paused after entering and closing the door behind him, looking at the fifteen-by ten foot framed panting on the wall to the left of the door, sighing heavily. It was a panting of him, Silver Tail, Iron Horn, and Blood Flag.

"Those were the days, huh old friend."

Turning to the right Razor saw who he had come to visit, siting on a yoga mat was a Unicorn Stallion as tall as Luna when standing with an Emerald green coat, a neatly combed red mane and tail, and a crimson left eye and orange right eye. The most eye catching thing was the metal horn brace on his head, over his own horn. His Cutie Mark was two crossed red wands. This Stallion was Iron Horn, a Pirate Lord/Wizard and an old friend of Razor.

At the moment he was bent at an unusual angle.

"Hello Iron Horn, what are you doing?" Razor asked, eyeing the Unicorn with raised eyebrows.

"Hello Razor Tail, I'm doing some yoga. Care to join?"

"No thanks Iron, I'm actually for both businesses and personal."

"Oh right, that spell you asked me to look at. Just give me... a... second."

Iron did a few final stretches and stood up, walking over to a room divider and stepping behind it, pulling the various items of clothing that were hanging over it down.

"Umm... Iron? You know that Ponies don't normally wear clothing, so why are you using a room divider?"

Iron's head poked out from behind.

"I find that watching another get dressed is more of a married couple sort of thing."

"Okay, fair point."

Once he was done Iron Horn stepped out wearing a purple, gold-trimmed hat with the brim angled up to a right and a cluster of ten gold Phoenix feathers, a black and gold scarf, a Black skill shirt, a Purple and gold coat, a red baldric with gold buckle, purple gloves, red sash under a black belt with a gem buckle, purple, gold-trimmed pants, and black boots. His weapon was a telescopic staff tipped with a large amethyst gem.

Iron lead Razor over to the desk which was covered in several magic tomes, books, and scrolls, he picked up one of the latter.

"Right here Razor, it took me a bit of time to find it but it has what you need."

"Thanks Iron," Razor took the scroll, opening it and reading for a few moments before nodding and putting it in his chest-like saddle bags. Iron continuing as he did.

"If I'm being honest Razor, I was surprised at the request."

"I would be too, this spell isn't a common one but it will allow me to swell the ranks on a battlefield, as least for a short time."

Iron nodded and led Razor over to the table in the center of the room, both siting down on opposite ends.

"Would you like some wine Razor?" Iron asked, gesturing to the bottle. Razor picked it up and read the label, smiling as he did so.

"Vintage Champagne, nice pick." Razor set the bottle down and grabbed a glass.

"Yep, just looted it from a Prench Treasure fleet." Iron said with a proud smile. The two poured their drinks and sat in silence for a short bit, drinking. Razor in honestly wasn't much of a wine drinker, preferring rum though his wife Atlas loved wine, especially the nicely aged fine stuff. After a few minutes Iron was the first to break the silence.

"So what have you been up to Razor? How are the wife and kid?"

"Atlas is doing well, and Silver turned eleven not too long ago. As for what I've been up to..."

He told Iron of the various things that had happened lately, from the cruise ship to the new crew members to the Tower battle and everything in between. Iron let out a whistle when Razor was finished.

"Wow you've been busy Razor, Celestia herself is after you? That has to be a new record."

"Seems that way, I did try to parlay with her but sadly that only works when the other is willing to listen."

"Ain't that the truth."

The two chatted for a bit but Razor soon had to take wing to return to his ship, though not before Iron gave him a hug and a bottle of wine for Atlas as a gift and asking Razor to "give Silver a good tickle from his Uncle." Razor agreed he would and left as Iron went to his books.

Author's Note:

Not really much going on here, other then the Equestrians recovering and Iron Horn's first appearance.

Next chapter will be a land battle, see you all then. :pinkiehappy: