• Published 26th Dec 2018
  • 1,908 Views, 39 Comments

The Elements of the Crystal Empire - star-girl



It's been 1000 years since Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon were banished, and now Sunset has been tasked to organize the Crystal Faire.

  • ...
6
 39
 1,908

Epilogue: The Princesses of Equestria

Sunset wearily walked up into the Crystal Throne Room, her ears popping from the ascent. Celestia and Luna followed behind, ashamed and subdued, and King Sombra walked alongside her.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both matched the height of King Sombra. Princess Celestia still had her white coat, but there was no orangish tint to it and her cutie mark was a sun. Sunset made a mental note to herself to research similarities between cutie marks as she examined the two monarchs. Celestia had warm amethyst eyes, and her mane flowed ethereally with all the colors of a sunrise/sunset: gold, red, yellow, pink, even a shade of light purple. Her regalia had been restored, and even as she made her walk of shame her bearing was proud and kind and powerful all at once. Sunset had no doubt that she would be a great ruler.

Princess Luna still had a black coat, but there was no bluish tint to it, and her eyes were no longer draconic. Her regalia was still a pastel blue, but an extra sparkle had been added to it. The real majesty, though, was in her mane. It had shimmering galaxies in it, swirls of stars with nebulae and dark spots scattered over it. It, too, flowed in an etheral wind, and her mane well and truly reflected the realm in which she ruled. She carried herself with a little more regality than Celestia, as well as something Sunset couldn't quite put her hoof on, but she decided to leave it be.

The night was subtle, after all.

She saw the guards' shock and delight, as well as their weariness of the two new princesses. Sunset was sure that could be fixed in time, though. She told them that Thorax was a janitor they had encountered, as he was disguised.

When she emerged from the doors of the castle, she was met with cheers - and a roar the likes of which she had never heard before. A huge, bigger-than-the-alicorns figure barreled into her.

"Flame!" Sunset gasped, laughing. "What happened to you?"

Flame smiled sheepishly, and she wasn't a dragonet at all anymore. Her wingspan was huge, and her face was sleek, sharp and intelligent. Where there had once been baby fat, there was now lean muscle. "I grew up," she said sheepishly. "Apparently dragon growth spurts come in moments of inner danger and turmoil. I was reassuring the populace when it happened, so that cause a big surprise."

Sunset blinked, not knowing whether to laugh or burst into tears.

"Sunset."

She froze and turned around.

There they were.

Her parents.

Honestly, she wasn't sure she wanted to call them that. Her father was "the sperm donor," and her mother was "the mailmare." They had done everything they could to avoid raising her, and Sunset had never experienced a true childhood until she went to live with King Sombra.

Indigo had come up with the names as she had been telling them about her parents, and Sunset thought they were hilarious.

"Father," she said tersely. "Mother."

Her parents flinched as if struck.

"Now, Sunset . . ." her father paused. "I knw that we've always been hard on you, but . . ."

Ah. The dreaded but that occured in every conversation where Sunset was sure she was about to get an apology. The reason her parents had, every time, for being disappointed in her. Was wanting to be loved too much to ask?

Now, though, she had three royals and six friends at her back.

"Father, Mother, you have nothing to do with me. You have only used my position to increase your social status. You did not even say goodbye when I left, so I would kindly appreciate it if you GOT OUT OF MY LIFE!"

They flinched again. Sour Sweet put a hoof on her shoulder.

"Sunset . . . you know how we said we thought you hadn't done anything worthwhile in your life?"

Here it comes.

"We were wrong."

Sunset almost collapsed with shock, and her brain fogged over. She had dealt with too much in the past night to add parent drama to the mix.

"We have never appreciated you for who you were, but in that moment, when you emerged with you accomplices and the royals with a crown on your head . . . we were very, very proud of you."

Sunset blinked.

Her parents walked away, her mother's final words being, "I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive us."

"Are you okay?" Sugarcoat asked.

"No," said Sunset. "No, I'm not. I just want to sleep."

"Let's get right on that," King Sombra said, with a soft smile.


Sunset had been plagued with nightmares since then; they all had. Plus, being the Bearers meant that they got unwanted attention on the streets and from reporters, as well-meaning as ponies might be. It also meant that they were expected to be the best of friends, right away.

While Sunset did feel a click with the mares, she hadn't even known the girls for twenty-four hours! And between her being Crown Regent and all the political talks between Thorax's kingdom and their own, and the princess' wanting to rule over Equestria again, it was just too much for her to handle.

When they did have sleepovers once in a while, they always talked until the words turned gummy in their mouths and their eyes drooped, and after that they all slept better.

Her answer to Sugarcoat's question still haunted her. Was she? Was she fine, now? She couldn't decide. So when Sugarcoat tentatively asked her again, she said, "No. None of us are, I think. But I'm getting there."

Author's Note:

And that's a wrap.

I hope you enjoyed! I may write more stories in this universe, so stay tuned. I'm sorry that it's so short, but I couldn't think of much to put in besides this. Bye! :pinkiehappy:

. . . it's gonna feel so weird not cram writing until the next story . . . :fluttercry:

Comments ( 16 )

holy. this is going in my read it later

Excellent epilogue. I LOVED Sunset's observations concerning Celestia and Luna after they were both purified especially Sunset's pondering on the similarities of Celestia's cutie mark and her own as well as Sunset's noticing Flame's post-adventure upgrade , the scene with Sunset's parents and the observations considering the unwanted attention Sunset and her friends have gotten for their role in stopping Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon . All in all, the characterizations, exchanges and future story set-up are all well done in all the right places.


So, yes, well done on the story and I can respect the want/need to take a break. You've certainly earned it. And I will certainly be quite willing to respect your decision one way or the other.

Can't wait for the sequel!

A lovely first foray. You wrote a fine story.

Though, honestly, I was a little surprised to see them brought right back to their old royal titles. Sombra has done a fine job of ruling all these centuries, I half-expected that they'd simply earn a good stipend for raising the sun and moon, but otherwise just be regular citizens.

Or at least, as regular as two out-of-time alicorns could be...

This was a awful ending. Unlike and unfav. I'm sorry, but this was a shit ending. :fluttershysad:

9399130

Can I ask why? I kinda want to rewrite the epilogue, so I could use some feedback.

9400064
Its just I was hoping it would follow the show with the new elements of harmony going about what happen in the show. all the way to Sunset becoming a alcorn princess, to getting her school. Maybe having Twilight as her student. stuff like that. that's what I was hoping this story would be....but sadly it wasn't. :fluttershysad:

9400408
Oh! This book is just the pilot, I was planning to make other stories centered around this universe. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear in the Author's Note.

9400414
hmm... ok I will watch you for now. hoofs cross over here. 😉

couldn't quite put her finger on,

What finger? She’s a pony

9401357
Thank you. Fixed.

Is this based on the Reflections arc of the comics?

9472950
No, not really. I don't really read the comics all that much anyway.

10049029
Probably not, given that I've never heard of it...

I love this story, making sunset and the Shadowbolts the main 6, keep up the good work.

As a first work the most important thing is that you finished it. It's obviously been some time since then but it's still something worth celebrating.

That said, I wish I had been able to enjoy this fic. I love Sunset and the EqG Shadowbolts dearly, but the reason I love them is because they're all kind of jerks, to some degree or another. It's fun to laugh along with their jerkery and it's heartwarming to find find the gold buried deep in their hearts.

Your Sunset and your Shadowbolts were not jerks. They were all pleasant ponies. They were unrecognizable as the characters they were supposed to be. It felt like you transposed their appearances over the personalities of the classic Mane 6, instead of writing a story with roles for the Shadowbolts.

It doesn't look like you've posted anything in a while. I hope you're still writing. There is clearly passion here, and I hope you give that passion the exercise it craves.

Login or register to comment