• Published 22nd Dec 2018
  • 4,439 Views, 468 Comments

To be a Breezie - Obsi



Trapped in the world of the breezies, Twilight has to learn how to be a breezie and help her clan make it through the winter. And like every time learning is involved, she is quite eager

  • ...
8
 468
 4,439

Chapter 7- Winters Chill

“Twilight.”

The veil of dreamy dozing tore apart as a pair of hooves shook me insistently. Groaning, I sat up, shielding my eyes from the light Honeydew’s feelers were beaming into my face. “W-what’s up?” I slurred. He gave the clay ceiling a brief glance before shaking me again.

“No time for weird questions, Twilight, we have work to do!”

Groaning, I pushed myself onto tired legs. I felt like I’d just laid down in bed. Was it- oh, Celestia, the sun hadn’t even risen yet, those breezies were worse than Applejack! As I tried to reach for my drop of morning shower, Honeydew let out an impatient huff and grabbed my hoof.

“I need to wash!” I protested. Hygiene was important.

“You’ll get dirty in a moment.” he huffed as he insistently dragged me along. “Downpour last night got into the storage. Our supplies are fine, but we have to get the water out.”

“B-but… my work with Echidna-” I stammered.

“Needed here now.”

Moments later, we were both up to our chests in the dirty water, side to side with other breezies, me dipping my feelers into it to carry small drops, him somehow just reaching into it and pulling out large orbs. The sight made me almost as jealous as Celestia’s horn did when I was a foal. At least the water made the upward curve of the tunnel leading into the storage apparent, a simple measure protecting their storage from any normal flooding.

“Honeydew, what happens here when it rains really bad?” I shouted over the back of an unfamiliar breezie.

“We’ll be warned. The trees can ward off the rain for a time, allowing us to either shield the storage or get it to safety if it’s really bad.”

I gave a brief nod, mentally noting down my decision to bring the invention of the water pump to the breezies. After all, the non-intervention-clause of my expedition was dead and trampled already.

This rude awakening was my first experience of something I’d never known before: A life without routine. From a student to a librarian, followed by princess duties I’d been surrounded by it. Sure, there had been exceptional days in my life, unexpected events, but those had mostly been brief excursions from a thoroughly planned, well-regulated schedule. I could wake up one morning and summarize the following day with a high grade of accuracy.

As a breezie however, there was no such certainty. I’d woken up expecting to go back to Echidna and learn more about straw-weaving. Instead, my first task was followed by ramming thin sticks through leaves the clan had collected, making it harder for the wind to blow them away by pinning them together. Then, I was sent off to help collect more leaves myself. An hour to eat and snooze at noon, followed by an afternoon of flying out into the near forest to try and break off useful splinters from dead wood. You had to remove the wet parts to get to the useful bits, which were unfortunately also the most difficult to break off, giving me numerous tiny wounds over the course of my attempts.

In the breezie world, your ‘job’ was something you did either when it was necessary, or you would make a surplus when every other task was taken care off. It seemed the only breezie who could generally assume what the day would bring was Carveshine, and only because tools or repairs were always required. Even Windchime and the Elder would go around joining in various tasks while encouraging the other breezies.

I had no idea how they did it. In the evening, I was exhausted, mentally and physically. I hadn’t asked Honeydew how to light my antennae, hadn’t spoken with Kalypso, hadn’t even asked anyone about the portal. I feel asleep, feeling a certainty that the next would just be like this one. And a chilling uncertainty that it would be nothing like it.


It was on my fifth day in the clan that my life was about to take another turn. After delivering a load of bricks from Honeydew’s stash, I had been mercifully permitted to the easy task of waterproofing nutshell with tree sap. Then I just had to tie a thin rope around the makeshift canteen so it could be worn during flight. Compared to everything else and with an exhausting, unpredictable schedule, it was a nice opportunity to relax and have a chat with Sunny Mist, the stallion who was testing the bottles once the sap had sealed them shut.

“Kalypso is a tad strange, alright.” he benignantly told me. “Don’t worry if you’re not breaking through to her, she likes to keep to herself.” Pressing his hoof on the opening, he rapidly shook the bottle. “I suppose it sets her apart, with the gods sending visions into her head and all that.”

I nodded, frowning as I saw a thin stream of water erupt from the canteen. The more I learned about this breezie, the stranger she seemed. If Sunny Mist was to be believed, Kalypso had been born during a terrible storm strong enough to tear out trees and make the entire clan huddle underground. Both of her parents perished in her birth and as the child began to cry, the storm immediately subsided. Of course it sounded much better the way he told it. I had a feeling he’d bolstered the tale just a little bit.

Still… “poor breezie, It must be hard growing up without parents, especially in such a harsh world.” I couldn’t even imagine, I grew up in a well-off family, right at the center of the nation. Maybe Applejack could, but she at least had an extensive family to fall back on. “Does Kalpso have any other family?” I asked, looking up at Sunny Mist. “Sunny?”

He gave no sign of hearing me, his eyes drawn up to the sky, just as I felt a shadow pass over me.

“Finally!” Sunny shouted as he grinned up at a group of a dozen breezies, his antennae lighting up as he waved a hoof. Now I heard more voices, filled with joy and relief as they greeted the incoming group, which now took a long turn so they could land on a flat bed of moss outside the village.

The gatherers had came back, I realized, frowning as I slowly approached them. They’d been overdue-

I ducked away as Carveshine ran past me, nearly leaping at the breezie at the head of the gatherers.

“Euryale!” he gasped as he embraced the mare, frowning at the touch. “You’re cold, you should come inside.”

I had to agree. When I got a closer look, the returned breezies all looked worn out and tired, their windblown manes hanging over their faces, caked with dirt and sweat. Half a dozen carried between them a long, segmented body of a millipede, while the rest had baskets tied to each side of their harness, filled with a mixture of seeds, nuts and… something that looked like balls of vomit. Choosing not to think about that for now, I focused on the hushed tone in which the mare, Euryale, spoke to Carvehine, the strained expression on the gatherers’ faces as they held their loved ones, as if they were holding off just a moment before bringing bad news... Some were already leaving the scene, straight to their houses. I couldn’t blame them, I still remembered the frigid night I had to fly through with Honeydew.

The timing of his voice reaching my ears was so absolute, that I thought for a second it was just in my head. But then I heard his voice again, but it was not addressing me.

“Marsh Grass.” Honeydew huffed, landing in front of a shivering gatherer, who had split off from the crowd, plunging his glowing feelers forward as he shared their heat with the shivering breezie.

“T-thanks, honey.” he stuttered through blue lips.

Honey? My eyes quickly passed from one to the other. No, no, it was just his name shortened, a nickname, it must be.

“Looks like you needed it.” Honeydew said, his feelers passing from Marsh’s chest over his back, relieving him off his baskets, just as he let out a relieved sigh. “Apple pieces, walnut… a mantis egg cluster!” Honeydew pulled back, giving the stallion a stern look. “You shouldn’t have, it was too risky-”

“The mantisses froze over by now. We found a few, dead as can be. Ants already over the bodies, though” Marsh said, grimacing as his own feelers started glowing… then flickered, before fizzling out completely.

“You should go inside!” Honeydew gasped, his eyes widening. “I’ll get some sizzlegrass-”

“No!” Marsh protested. “We’ll need it… Kalypso was right, this winter will be bad.” Rubbing one hoof over the other, he looked up, right at where I was staring at the two. I immediately turned away, but I could feel his gaze resting on me.

“Who is she?”

“Who- Twilight!” Honeydew exclaimed. “I found her in the forest, with no idea where she was, so we took her in. She’s eager enough, but weird… doesn’t know a lot of obvious things. Like how to react when someone is introducing her!” he said, giving me a pointed look.

I could feel my cheeks burn as I came closer, wearing a sheepish smile. “S-sorry,” I muttered, scratching the back of my head. “Honeydew already told you my name…”

“Marsh Grass.” he said, giving me a cautious glance. “You’re… not staying for the winter, right?”

“I-I’m afraid I am?” my smile drained as I faced his lowering eyebrows, his gritting teeth.

“We know it won’t be easy,” Honeydew jumped in, allowing me to take a step back from Marsh. “But I couldn’t leave her alone in the forest!”

“You haven’t been out there the last few days!” Marsh snapped. “We almost lost Akantha to the cold last night, we were out of sizzlegrass. We’ve seen hoarfrost! And some of us have heard the howling.”

Honeydew jerked back, his eyes widening. “T-the winds of Fjermengard?”

“If Heistin opened the gates.”

I looked from one to the other, hoping to get more of a clue of what they were talking about. I’d picked up a few bits and pieces of their religion over my stay. Heistin was some sort of goddess of the sea, and the breezies feared her breath claiming the lands… I’d assumed they were talking about cold wind, but then what were these winds of- what was that again? “Uhm, Honeydew, what are those gates he’s talking about?”

Once again, both breezies gave me the look, though at least Honeydew was quick to explain before Marsh could question my intelligence. “Fjermengard is where Frinjòn locked away most of Heistin’s coldest winds. Every time they escape, winter and struggle rule over the land for a long time.” he swallowed. “It’s said that one day, Heistin will shatter the prison and cover the land in frozen water, claiming it as her domain forever.”

Now I got his reaction, a never-ending winter did not sound fun, especially without indoor heating.

“”But it doesn’t matter, she is our guest now.” Honeydew said firmly. “So maybe winter will be dark, and we can’t keep the millipede aside for a celebration, but would you rather she froze out there?”

“No, but this cold, it’s not natural! Who knows how long it can last.” He shivered. “Maybe I’m just overreacting. I-I need to go and warm up.”

“You should go to Echidna, she set up a sizzlepit for your arrival. For all of you”

A wave of relief crossed over Marsh’s face. “Oh, thank Frinjiòn... “ he turned to bolt away, but then gave a look back. “And… I’m sorry, Twilight. You are a guest, our worries shouldn’t be yours.”

“I-I think they concern us all, Marsh.” I responded awkwardly, not sure whether to smile or look serious. At least he seemed relieved that I didn’t rebuff his apology.

“Well, I should go speak with elder.” Honeydew muttered. “Will you be okay without me?”

I froze, sensing the rapid approach of what I’d been dreading. Of course, with the gatherers back… Honeydew would have to do his job as scout and go lead them to the berry bushes he’d found. He wasn’t just asking for right now, but for at least two weeks. But even if he would stay for my sake, it’d be wrong to keep him here while the clan was struggling. “S-sure, I-I’ll be just fine.” I stuttered, forcing my lips to twist into what I hoped was a reassuring smile as he nodded before turning to leave.

If only I could convince myself as easily as him. Even though I was in no direct danger, I just couldn’t shake the feeling that I needed him. There were still so many things that eluded me about breezie life, like how he was able to effortlessly tell the time, even on cloudy days. He was still my first pick when it came to asking questions,as he was at least used enough to my cluelessness to keep his looks of disbelief short. Heck, I never even managed to wake up on my own, he was always there to make sure I got out of the feathers. And lastly… he made for a good pillow when we curled up to sleep after a hard day. And none of those were good reasons to justify me wanting for him to stay! It’s just selfish…

I let out a long sigh as I watched him disappear in the elder’s longhouse, together with Euryale, who must be Carveshine’s wife. It was his job, he had to do it. Still, I thought as I glared at the ropes and bottles waiting for me, I at least want to know for how long. “Hey, Sunny Mist?” I called out. The crowd had long dispersed, many breezies taking the task of stowing away the food off the gatherers. “Can you take care of the last canteens?”

He shrugged. “I suppose I can. You’ll owe me one?”

“I’ll take a task off of you in the future.” I promised, giving him a brief hug before I ran towards the longhouse, leaving behind one stunned breezie.

I halted in front of the slab of tree bark that acted as a door (but mostly just to block out the cold outside air) and raised my hoof to knock, as I heard the elder’s voice.

“If it’s as bad as you say, Euryale, then we’ll only be able to make two or three more hauls before winter buries us.”

“Two, at most.” A mare’s voice responded with certainty. “I’m sorry, but we all need a day of rest after the flight yesterday. The wind was ever-changing in the fields, and we had no more sizzlegrass.”

“Absolutely none?”

“Not a single blade.”

“Then all the other groups will have to take more grass than before.” Honeydew’s voice followed apprehensively.

There was a silence, where the only thing I could hear was the low sizzling of the elder’s pit. Shivering, I finally knocked on the door.

“Twilight?” Honeydew raised an eyebrow as he pulled away the door. “Why are you here?”

“I uh…” scratching my head, I tried to quickly think of a reason.

You know, you could have used all that time you just spent listening on a door, while standing out in the open where every breezie in the village could see, my snarky brain snickered. I stammered, wishing for my crazy head to give me a legitimate answer, when I heard Honeydew sigh.

“Look, Twilight, I can’t say here.”

“I-I know!” I spoke louder than I’d wanted. I wasn’t sure why I was getting angry, maybe it was because he thought I wouldn’t understand, or maybe I couldn’t bear him repeating the same stuff I’d told myself. “I just…” Swallowing, I looked away. “I don’t really know, either.”

Honeydew looked about as confused as I felt.

“Well, you can stay here, if you don’t interrupt us.” The elder offered, despite his raised eyebrow.

“Thank you.” I brought the words out as I sat down a bit further from the sizzlepit than the others and stared at the ground.

Honeydew turned his attention back to the elder. “We should head out to the berry bushes next. If we take too long, Farin Gaela will no longer heed her promise.”

“We have more problems than just food, Honeydew. If the winter will be as long as I fear, then our stock of sizzle grass isn’t enough.” The elder sighed. “I’m gettin old. What is bearable for you is becoming dangerous for me. We’ll need to get more from the Highbreeze clan.”

Honeydew blanched. “B-but I have to go lead the gatherers-”

The elder cut him off “I will lead them.”

“B-but the ants!” Honeydew insisted. I could feel myself agreeing. From what he told me, ants were trustworthy, but very particular of the exact details of an agreement. If it was the elder to come back instead of Honeydew-

“I’ve know Farin Gaela from the day she was hatched. For me, she will make an exception.” The certainty with which he spoke made Honeydew fall back on his haunches.

“B-but why me?”

“Because they’re more likely to trade with you.”

I blinked, not quite sure what he meant with that, but a different thought had just popped into my mind. “I should come with!”

That drew a few surprised looks. “Uhm, Twilight? No offense, but you don’t know how to survive out there.” Honeydew said.

“You’ll slow him down.” Euryale agreed, the truth of her words making me wince.

“I-I know, but it’s another clan, right? They might know about the portal!”

Honeydew and the elder exchanged glances, while Euryale simply looked perplexed. It was clear they were not convinced. “W-well,” I continued, feeling sweat roll down my brows. “It might be a long shot, but if they do, I can go home, and I’ll be out of your manes. You wouldn’t have to feed me all winter!” I gave them a shaky smile. I wouldn’t rate my chances very high, but when my only other choices were to either go out into a freezing forest on my lonesome or to wait several months…

Euryale still seemed unconvinced and Honeydew frowned, but the elder was staring into the sizzling grass, deep in thought. “It would be nice to have one less mouth to feed.”

Ouch, I know those were practically my words, but direct much?

“Honeydew alone would be better.” Euryale said, giving me a thin-lipped look. “If she is as clueless as you say, she might hurt the trade.”

“Then maybe we should bring one more breezie they are sure to give a fair prize.” I suggested, hoping dearly I’d judged things right. “Kalypso.”

There was a moment of silence, in which the last pieces of grass finally broke down.

“That’s a good idea.” The elder finally said. “Honeydew, you will go to the Highbreeze-clan with Kalypso and Twilight. Bring as much grass back as the three of you can carry.”

Honeydew gave a quick nod before he got up. The others gave me an expectant look.

“W-wait, now?”

“Of course now.” Honeydew said as he pulled me up on my hooves and out the longhouse.

Author's Note:

Thanks go to everyone sticking around once again, I'm honestly a little surprise how well this story is doing ^^

Though unlikely, next chapter might be a day or two late, as I do not have a 1-chapter buffer anymore, a bit of real life duties coming up, if that combines with unexpected work stuff coming up-

Still, I'm already a bit into the next chapter, a delay would be unlikely.

I hope you liked this chapter and I managed to make you excited for meeting a new clan! I wish I could have used some of my whackier clan-ideas, but a coconut-submarine sadly wouldn't fit this story :rainbowwild: