• Published 22nd Dec 2018
  • 4,435 Views, 468 Comments

To be a Breezie - Obsi



Trapped in the world of the breezies, Twilight has to learn how to be a breezie and help her clan make it through the winter. And like every time learning is involved, she is quite eager

  • ...
8
 468
 4,435

Chapter 4- Civilization

The sun hadn’t yet risen above the treetops when Honeydew finally let out a cheer. “We’re here, Twilight.” he grinned, his hoof pointing through a gap between the trees. I muttered my thanks to Celestia through my numb lips as I set eyes upon it. Partially hidden between a large fern and a mossy root were a few dozen huts, formed like empty shells of a hunchbacked turtle. They seemed to have been built with clay, then covered with straw, maybe to increase insulation, maybe just so they wouldn’t look like dirt-igloos. Where were the mushroom houses I’d seen? Where was the castle, that one had definitely been made from stone.

This and many other questions I would have pondered on under different circumstances, but as of right now, I was simply glad for anything that offered even a hint of warmth. My hooves felt as numb as wooden pegs, my nose was running, the constant flight had drawn sweat out of my body where it then froze inside my coat while my ears throbbed in pain, as if a hailstorm was pattering my eardrums. Questions could come later, all I wanted was a warm fire, a hot shower and a steaming coco while I curled into a fuzzy blanket and read a good novel. Somehow I doubted I’d get those last two though.

With Honeydew’s help, I managed a smooth, if slow landing, even if I could swear I heard my legs pop like a breaking icicle. A few breezies were already out and about, setting up what looked like thin arcways with pieces of straw all over the village. A few looked up from their work, greeting Honeydew before spotting me. I couldn’t repeat what they said, my breezish simply not developed enough to keep up as they spoke like Rainbow Dash before she had to relieve her bladder from copious amounts of cider.

The gist of it: Me and Honeydew got to lean against the side of a hut while one of the breezies, Storm Seed if I caught that correctly, went to fetch… someone. Maybe this elder Honeydew had mentioned, though it’d sounded like there would be others, too. With a sigh, I sunk my head into my hooves, then gasped at just how cold they felt. My eyes suddenly watered and I drew a sharp breath, before letting it out in a long sneeze. “Oh, Celestia,” I muttered as I stared blankly at my snoddy hoof. “I’m getting sick, too?” What else was this world gonna throw at me, a forest fire? At least that’d be somewhat cozy from a distance!

Something warm prodded against my shoulder, causing me to let out a gasp and turn to Honeydew, whose hoof was slowly rubbing my cold fur. I almost pulled away, but- he was so warm. How could he be so warm, he’d been in the cold for as long as I had, not fair! He let out a little squeak as I pressed my side to his, reveling in the warmth we now shared.

“Y-you’re icy.” He whispered.

“I know.” So maybe he shared the warm and I shared the cold, it still seemed like a fair trade to me. “What are they doing?” I asked, pointing at the working breezies.

He blinked at me, once more giving me the feeling that I was asking something every little child should know. Well, that’s gonna happen a lot more, so just buckle down for now.

“They’re preparing for winter.”

“By raising arcways?” How was that helpful for winter? Heck, how would that help at all? How did breezies even deal with winter, considering they most likely did not have it nicely scheduled like it was in Equestria? All of those questions tripped right off my tongue as Honeydew got up, his eyes fixated on a group of breezies. My freezing limps barely even complained as I jumped up, ready to approach them, but Honeydew’s hoof held me back. He gave a respectful nod as one stocky breezie stepped out of the group.

“Welcome back, Honeydew.” He was a little taller than Honeydew, and could probably twist both our limbs in a hoofwrestling match. After the first powerful appearance however, I began to notice the many ways age had left its mark on his body, in the greying of his pink mane, the bags under his eyes and his slightly curved back. Yet his eyes were still shining brightly as they briefly swept over me. “What have you found?”

“A bush of Raspberries, Elder. Six days away.” Honeydew answered tensely. “Farin Gaela allows us to take one third.”

The elder nodded. Behind him, I saw two more breezies, a young looking mare and a stallion who could be her father. “We will send out a group to retrieve them soon.” The elder said. “But now, we have to deal with our newcomer.”

Deal with? I shot a cautious look to Honeydew, but he wouldn’t meet my eyes. Well that didn’t seem worrying at all!

“Her name is Twilight Sparkle-” Honeydew began, but the second stallion raised his hoof, cutting my friend off in an instant.

“She should be capable of telling her own story.” His voice was smooth and strangely deep for a breezie, sounding a bit older than he looked. His eyes turned to mine as he chuckled. “After we get her out of the cold. Look at her, she is shaking like a fish on land.”

“A fair suggestion, Windchime.” The elder nodded. “Come along, Twilight.”

Despite Windchime’s words, the inside of the house wasn’t much warmer than the outside. Built from tiny sticks with pieces of tree bark as walls and a straw roof, this longhouse was easily one of the largest buildings in the village, one of only a few that resembled an actual house. I suspected that the entire clan could fit here at once, although some ankles would most likely be twisted in the process. The ground was covered with more hay, at very least allowing my hooves a break from the cold ground.

We sat around a little hole, in which laid a few sticks that appeared like bean capsules. The elder reached forward, cracking his hoof on one of the bulges inside the plant. A moment later, Something inside begann to sizzle, soon followed by a thin stream of smoke emerging from the capsule and an aura of warmth spreading through the rooms.

It must be some chemical compound inside the plant, but how did it work, and for what reason would it evolve something like this?

I needed a sample!

But my attention was drawn back to Windchime as he cleared his throat, eyes intent on mine while the young mare was half-hidden behind him, head lowered. “So, Twilight, is it? Honeydew mentioned you were a stormchild?”

I bit my lip, my eyes darting to Honeydew, whose lips twirled in an encouraging smile. I just hoped he’d take it well. “Not… quite.” If I perpetuated the story, they might ask questions I had no answer for. No, it was time for the truth- at least, parts of it. “While it’s true that I am from a place far away, it was not a storm that brought me here. I came through a portal. It was in a knothole, in a big tree, but… I lost it. I have to find it in order to return.”

I watched as the other breezies exchanged looks. Honeydew’s eyes narrowed, but I couldn’t meet them.

“A portal?” The elder rose an eyebrow. ”I have never heard of a portal around here…”

My hopes shattered as I stared in his even expression. “How could you not? It’s in your territory, two days away at most!”

“I have never heard of a portal, Twilight.” He repeated sternly. “Windchime, have you?”

He shook his head. “Sadly, no. The closest would be a few stories of tree spirits living in knotholes, but never about one taking you to, or from a far away place. Maybe one decided to play a trick on her?”

I took a shaky breath. A part of me wanted to jump to my hooves, declare them as liars and force them to tell me more. But they looked sincere, as far as I could tell for breezies. But what did that mean, that there really was no way back? “Can’t you help me look for it?”

The elder gave me a grim look. “It is the coldening season, Twilight. We cannot spend our time looking for a tree that may or may not exist. Especially of your description of it is so…” He pursed his lips. “Vague.”

“B-but it does exist!” I shouted, turning to Honeydew, but he only regarded me with an uncertain expression. I took a long breath. I-if the breezies didn’t know about the portal, then I had to stick around until they’d find out about it, it had to re-open at some point! “Then may I stay with your clan until the portal opens for me again?” I asked, lowering my head to the ground before the elder.

Soon, the silence grew unnerving, and I rose my head. The elder was knocking his hoof on the ground, while Windchime regarded him with a sad look in his eyes.

“Normally, I would agree without hesitation.” The elder muttered. “But you have found us at a bad time, Twilight. Winter is coming early. And if it lasts long, our stocks may not last us.” He let out a sigh. “We could give you supplies for a week-”

“You’d kill me!” I gasped, my insides a solid cube of ice. “I-I don’t know the first thing about surviving in the wild.”

“I cannot risk the lives of my clan members on a stranger, Twilight-” The elder began, but suddenly stopped, his eyes widening as the young mare rose. It was the first time I got a good look at her. Her coat was a simple white, but she was set apart by her eyes, one of which was a piercing yellow while the other shone in a flaring red.

“Elder, if I may interrupt-”

“Certainly, Kalypso.” He said hurriedly, even giving her a respectful nod. I stared with open mouth as those strange eyes turned to me.

“I have told you of my recurring dreams. I see white, I saw winter in its primal form, enveloping the land. But now, looking at this mare, I remember something else. A flash of purple, standing by my side. I- don’t know how, but I think she might be important.”

Both the elder and Windchime gave her a respectful nod, while Honeydew turned from her to me with widened eyes.

“If you say so, Kalypso, then I shall trust you.” The elder decided. “Twilight Sparkle, you may remain here until further notice. If you need a place to stay-”

I automatically turned to Honeydew. He raised an eyebrow at my reaction, but the elder chuckled. “Well, then it is decided. Honeydew, you will be watching over our newcomer for now and teach her to fill a place in the clan.”

“Sure.” Honeydew sighed, without sparing me a glance. “After a bit of recuperation. It’s been a long flight.”

“Of course.” The elder smiled.

“Don’t miss our prayers in the evening.” Windchime smiled. So he was some kind of priest. That left me to wonder what the strange mare was in order to command this sort of respect...

Frinjiön carry us.” Honeydew replied and took my hoof, steering me out of the longhouse.

A thousand questions bubbled in my mind, about the elder, Windchime, the clan structure, Honeydew himself or the mysterious Kalypso, but I felt the most pressing as he gruffly pulled me along. “Are you okay, Honeydew?”

“You lied about where you come from.”

“I-it wasn’t really a lie.” I protested. “I’m still lost, a-and I needed your help.”

“You could have said the truth.” He stopped and turned around to me. “About coming through a portal.”

“So… y-you believe me?” I stuttered. “I don’t think the others did.”

“I think you either hit your head or you’re telling the truth, because it’s a terrible lie.” He shrugged, then suddenly rubbed his hoof over my mane. “And I’m not feeling any bumps.”

“C-cut it out.” I gasped, pushing his hoof away. “The others don’t believe me though. And I didn’t want to risk appearing crazy when you leaving me would have meant my death.”

“I suppose.” He pursed his lips. “You really were lost out there, weren’t you?”

“In more ways than one.” I nodded. “I had no idea how to survive.”

“Then you’ll need a teacher.” He smiled as his feelers began bobbing. Have I mentioned before how adorable that looked?

We arrived in what might be the smallest clayhut in the village, it hadn’t even bothered with a straw cover. “Here’s my home.” Honeydew muttered. “I don’t spend much time here, so it’s a little small.”

“No kidding.” I whispered. It wasn’t horribly cramped, but it could not fit two beds side-by-side, that was for sure. Inside were only a few personal belongings strewn over a hay floor. Another harness of ant legs, several containers in different shapes and size, some of less grizzly material than others and, half hidden behind said containers, a set of small drums. Did he play? I’d like to hear that… when I was less tired.

The light suddenly cut out as Honeydew shoved a carved piece of wood into the doorway. A moment later however, the tips of his feelers began to glow, bathing us both in warm light. Instinctively. I reached out to touch one. He jerked back in surprise, but not before I drew my hoof away with a gasp. His feelers were hot!

“What are you doing?” Honeydew asked, possibly a bit creeped out by my action.

“Just… checking. They’re warm. Can I do that?”

“You mean… you don’t know how?” Honeydew stared at me as if I had exploded into popcorn. “What were you, raised by bees?”

I could only smile and shrug.

“And here I wondered why you didn’t warm yourself up while we were flying.” He muttered, before letting out a long yawn. “Well, it’ll be warm enough in a moment, I can show you later.” With that, he sunk to the floor, letting his feelers gleam as he scooted over to lean against a wall, allowing me space to stand.

What did he mean with warming myself? I pondered as I stared at those glowing tips. It must be some sort electricity or chemical reaction in his feelers. Maybe the heat it produces warms up his bloodstream as a side effect, spreading the heat throughout the body- My string of thought was abruptly cut off as a yawn fought its way through my mouth. Honeydew had been right, his house had gotten fairly cozy after a few minutes. I slowly lied down beside him, stowing away my curious spirit for the moment. I hadn’t slept this night, and what I’d gotten that freezing night before could only generously be called “rest”. I could be excused for not exploring right away.

Honeydew let out a soft snore. I chuckled as I leaned against him, so the drums wouldn’t poke my other side. What would Rarity think of me now, I thought with a smirk, sleeping with a stallion I’ve only know for day?

With a soft, relieved chuckle, I finally drifted off into a proper slumber.

Author's Note:

Welcome back, big thanks to you, readers, for sticking with the story and telling me your thoughts on it. Believe me, when you publish a chapter you've been working on for three weeks just to get complete radio silence... it's discouraging. So, thank you all :twilightsmile:

So, what kind of adventure can you have in Breezie land? What is Twilight gonna do for the clan? When is the shipping gonna start for real?

All that and more, find out...
....
....
eventually