• Published 22nd Dec 2018
  • 4,439 Views, 468 Comments

To be a Breezie - Obsi



Trapped in the world of the breezies, Twilight has to learn how to be a breezie and help her clan make it through the winter. And like every time learning is involved, she is quite eager

  • ...
8
 468
 4,439

Chapter 27- And They Call it a Mine. A Mine!

My panicked scream was drowned out by the sound of cracking wood as the falling tree suddenly came to a halt. Gasping for air, I rolled away from the crooked ground littered in both wilted and still glowing sizzlegrass. With the shock leaving my body, I had to grit my teeth in order to ignore the painful burns forming where they’d fallen on my body. At my side, Honeydew pulled Kalypso to her hooves. Both of them seemed just as shocked, with him showing a nasty spot on his cheek where his coat had been reduced to blackened stubble. “Are you both okay?” he screamed over the deafening roars of the storm.

“I’m fine.” Kalypso answered. Too short on breath to speak, I just nodded. “W-what happened? Are we safe?”

“I don’t know.” he hauled himself up the now-inclined way to the exit, tightly grasping the wooden edge as he peeked outside. “It looks like our fall was stopped by another tree.” he swallowed. “But it doesn’t look too-”

He was cut off by another sound of snapping wood, causing our shelter to lurch several feet downwards before once again coming to a halt.

“It’s not safe here!” my shrill voice echoed inside the treehole as I scrambled back to my hooves, feeling my heart drumming in my throat.

“We can’t stay here.” Kalypso agreed.

“But where do we go?” I yelled, not caring if my voice cracked. “There’s no way we can build another shelter in this storm!”

“But we can’t sit here either.” she shot back. “We need to search for something else!”

“You want to look around blindly?” I felt myself growing hysterical. Please, give us a way out, I silently begged of her. The thought of stumbling blindly in this storm scared me nearly as much as just getting smashed to paste in this tree, and it was horrifyingly clearly shaping up to be our only option. Please, Kalypso, have a vision of a safe place or something! However, Kalypso only bit her lip, staring out into the storm with terrifying uncertainty. The answer, however, came from the exit, where Honeydew was scouting out the snowy masses.

“We won’t be going out blind.” he said sternly. “I know a place closeby. I’d hoped to avoid it, but-” Once more, a loud crack burst through the noise of the storm. Honeydew’s feelers stood upright in an instant as he glanced up our fallen tree. “OUT! NOW!

In a rush, we all threw ourselves out into the open, a mere moment before the last branches holding our tree broke. With a mighty thwomp, it crashed into the ground, throwing up snow to either side.

It was only the brief moment in the tree’s wind-shadow that allowed me to throw up a magical shield around us before the storm could blow us away. Still, I could feel it beating against the purple bubble around us like a hammer to the back of my head. “Stay close!” I commanded the others, grasping their forehooves with mine. “Honeydew, where?”

Quickly shaking off his surprise at the magical shield, he pointed to a spot in the snow, at the base of a nearby tree. “Somewhere there.” he replied, before biting his lip. “I-I recognise the tree, but it may take us a while to find it.”

“We don’t have a while!” Kalypso cut in, squeezing my hoof. Sweat was now running down my brow and I could feel my horn growing hotter already.

“It’ll be easier when we land!” I cut them both off as I pulled them both downwards, landing in the thick snow. Having reached the ground, I was now able to limit my shield to a simple, aerodynamic dome, deflecting the air instead of resisting. “Honeydew, what are you looking for?!”

“Tunnel.” he briskly responded, swiftly trotting across the snow banks. “Let’s hope I can find it under all this snow.”

“A tunnel? Are we looking for another breezie clan?”

Just as he was about to answer, the snow beneath his hooves broke apart, causing him to drop into a hidden cavity.

“I-I think I found it!” he shouted upwards, grinning sheepishly at our worried expressions as we looked down from above. Cautiously, we followed after him, taking care that our hooves did not slip on ice or accidentally tried to hold on to loosened snow.

Once we’d reached the bottom, I allowed my shield to collapse and took a deep breath, allowing the heat on my forehead to disperse. A thick, earthy and somewhat foul smell caused my nostrils to flare. Honeydew, illuminated by his own feelers, stood in a dark tunnel. “We shouldn’t lounge around at the entrance.” he explained as he helped me back on my hooves.

The tunnel he led us into was unexpectedly slim, not even allowing two of us to go side-by-side. Heck, if I hadn’t lost a bit of weight since my arrival, I still might have found it cramped at some parts. What kind of breezie lives here? I wondered, narrowing my eyes as I tried to examine the tunnel walls. Honeydew’s light was dim, but the many dancing shadows made it abundantly clear how rough the walls of this tunnel were, like it had been haphazardly glued together from pebbles. Back in our village, the walls had been so smooth that you could trail your own hoof over it like glass. Reaching out now, I was shocked to realize that it was indeed not made of snow, but both soft and hardened earth. We weren’t just under the cover of snow, we were truly underground now! And our path still led downwards. Moving my head to the side, I tried to peek past Honeydew, but the path ahead was cloaked in darkness. Our world had now shrunk to a couple feet of light piercing a pervasive void. The noise of the storm was already lost to the crunching of earth beneath our hooves as our path split in two. The stench coming from them was now so strong that I covered my nose.

Behind us, I could hear Kalypso mutter under her breath: “we shouldn’t have come here.”

Honeydew came to a halt, so sudden that I almost bumped into him. “We needed shelter.” he replied, his volume restrained, as if he was afraid of speaking too loudly. “It was the only place I could think of.”

That did not help my nerves. “Uhm, Honeydew? W-where are we?”

It was Kalypso who gave the brisk answer: “We are in a burrow of Farin Gaela. Without giving them a warning, which means we’re intruding!”

Furrowing my brows, I searched my brain for that word. “We’re in an ant hive?”

“Yes.” Honeydew nodded. “B-but don’t worry, with winter ongoing, the ants will all be asleep.”

“That’s the hope.” Kalypso hissed. “Ants do not take kindly to intruders.”

“Farin Gaela is our elder’s friend.” Honeydew rebutted. “I’ve met her before, too. Even if she was up, she might help us.”

“A-and what if she doesn’t?” I asked, unable to keep my voice from stammering.

“Then… I hope you can teleport us out.”

“Back into the storm?!”

“Do you have a better plan?” his voice sounded almost hopeful as his gaze went from me to Kalypso.

Neither of us spoke. With a sigh and a shake of his head, Honeydew faced the parting tunnel once again. “I know a path through the hive that should even bring us closer to our goal- if the direction stays roughly the same.” he added with a glance to Kalypso. “I-It will take us straight through Farin Gaela’s chambers. But with a bit of luck, it should just be a long, boring walk.”

Boring was not a word I would have used, or even conceived of, I thought as I huddled closely behind Honeydew. The path had now gotten so slim that I could not spread my wings anymore, not even a little, and my head was lowered, so as to not knock it into a root or whatever had bulged out of the ceiling a few minutes ago. And we were still heading downwards, unable to see more than a glimpse of what was infront of us as we climbed through the empty tunnel in silence, the only sound being our own hooves scratching over small pebbles stuck in the ground. Suddenly, Honeydew gasped, sucking air through his teeth as he stood frozen in place, gazing at the path ahead. I followed his gaze, my heart drumming in my throat as my nerves laid bare. A stench of rancid fruit hung in the air as we quietly waited.

Then, Honeydew took a hesitant step forward, and his sphere of light revealed the ant from the darkness, about as tall as a Winona would be on breezie scale. My breath was stuck in my throat, eyes locked on the insect as it stood perfectly still, like a statue. For three full seconds we stared at the ant as though we were petrified. Then, its antennae began to move, drumming rapidly against the floor. Honeydew took a step back, the light of his feelers flickering as the insect suddenly scuttled toward us, mandibles clicking in the air.

“Halt!” Honeydew spoke quickly, clicking his tongue in a manner somewhat like the insect, yet it showed no sign of understanding or even hesitating. “We’re not intruders, the queen knows us- TWILIGHT BACK OFF!” as he screamed, he was already mid-jump, giving me no time to react as his body rammed into mine, throwing us both to the ground. Reeling from the sudden impact, I let out a panicked scream as I felt something touch my hoof, something foreign! The ant had grabbed my leg! Another scream burst from my throat as I tried to pull away, before a dull, wooden impact sound forced it off of me. Honeydew, now free to untangle himself, had delivered a strong buck to the ant’s skull, causing it to stagger back. Ichor now dropped from its mandibles as the sound of furious clicking filled the tunnel.

“Get back!” Honeydew screamed, clenching his teeth around the handle of his knife, the long tooth reflecting the light of his feelers. “That’s just a worker, We need to get out before the others come!”

But before we could get our bearings, the insect charged forward. Honeydew reached out, apparently trying to stem his hoof against its head, but instead it suddenly rose up, two if its legs lifting in the air as its mandibles sunk into Honeydew’s leg. With a pained scream, he tried to pull back, but the ant’s head snapped around, hauling Honeydew’s whole body, his back scraping over the wall as it threw him into the tunnels behind itself, cutting us off one another.

We barely had time to scream before it charged us, its legs a blur as its mandibles clicked, reddened from droplets of blood. Reeling back, I tried to kick out, hoping to keep it away as I drew energy toward my horn to blast the monster with.

In that moment, a much larger set of mandibles closed around the ant’s head. Suddenly lifted off the ground, it let out a shrill screech, before, with a tremendous crack, the mandibles closed.

I could not breathe, only stare in abject horror as the still twitching body of our previous attacker dropped to the ground before an even larger insect. Three times as tall as the worker, this soldier ant regarded us for a still second. Unable to move a single muscle, I watched Honeydew get up behind it, licking over a bloody lip. His tongue clicked, drawing the attention of the ant. Suddenly, a sweet smell pierced the thick stench. Honeydew nodded, twitching his feelers in a manner akin to the insect.

Suddenly, the ant’s head whipped back to us, as the steps of many, many crawling limbs resounded through the tunnel. After a few more clicks to Honeydew, the soldier rushed past us.

“W-what happened?” I asked the moment it was out of sight.

“It told us to go to the queen.” Honeydew grimaced, his gaze wandering over the ground for a moment before his back suddenly arched.

“You’re hurt!” Kalypso exclaimed, glancing at a thin trickle of blood running over his back.

“Just bruises!” he deflected, despite speaking through clenched teeth. “We need to get to the queen.”

“But why did the other ant attack us?” I asked, hearing my own voice pitch with panic. “What if that happens again, are we welcome or not?”

“I don’t know!” he hissed back as he stiffly trudged through the tunnel, seemingly in an effort to not strain his back. “There is only one will in a hive! They should either all be friendly or not. The only exception is if they were attacked by other ants, but then we would have met a soldier ant, not a worker! Not to mention that they should all be asleep anyway. None of this makes any sense.” he concluded with a shake of his head.

A slight rustling infront of us was our only warning before one soldier ant after the other rushed past us, not even giving us a glance as we were forced to press ourselves against the wall to let them pass. I heard Honeydew sucking in air through his teeth and I was sure this was no good for his open wounds. For minutes, we remained there, was what must be over a hundred ants scuttled past us. At times, I thought I saw a strange shimmer on more of their heads, but each time they were gone before I was able to get a closer look.

The last ant in the convoy halted before us, clicking its mandibles a few times before turning around. We glanced to Honeydew, but he only nodded before following the ant himself.

After a few minutes, following another junction, I watched Honeydew grow more tense, as his head shifted around, checking our surroundings. “This isn’t right, the larvae chambers shouldn’t be this way…”

“What do you suggest?” Kalypso hissed. “Do you think it’s leading us into a trap?”

“We’re in a hive with ten-thousand ants, Kalypso.” Honeydew whispered sourly. ”I don’t think one can be more trapped than that.”

As he spoke, the tunnel walls spread open, his glowing feelers barely illuminating the chamber’s entrance. Even before me and Kalypso added our own light, I could feel myself shudder at the sound of thousands of scuttling insectile legs. The chamber was teeming with chaotic activity, ants of all sizes running to and from everywhere in inscrutable purpose. The stench was horrifying, like a million different scents all mixed up in one thick smog upsetting my stomach. Workers ran past like an assembly line, carrying white, oval-shaped larvae to a pile at the end of the chamber. Soldier ants marched out of some other tunnel while another group came in, dragging seemingly injured ones with them.

And none of them seemed to acknowledge the three breezies in their midst as they went about their business. I could feel Kalypso’s hoof brushing against mine, the seer keeping so close to my side that she nearly caused me to trip. I was glad for the reassuring presence, but the sheer idea of falling, then being walked over by the ants-

Violently shaking my head, I tried my best to banish that thought out of my mind, it was creepy enough when they were their regular size instead of reaching up to my knee! Shivering, I glanced at a group of soldier ants breaking off their unit. They seemed to wait until several workers approached them, salivating something goopy. They’re feeding the soldiers, I realized, remembering what Fluttershy once told me. Soldier ants are so specialized for their purpose, they literally cannot eat by themselves. Makes sense, I mentally added as I watched their enormous mandibles practically encompass the worker’s heads. Those things would really get in the way.

A faint shimmer across those mandibles made me narrow my eyes. I hadn’t had a chance to get a closer look before, but now I could clearly see light dancing across those natural weapons, not like the rest of their carapace, the sheen almost looked… metallic. As if its mandibles had been coated in copper. Or maybe even bronze, I couldn't tell the difference in this lighting. Had the ants in this world figured out how to work metal?!

“Twilight.” A rough poke on my shoulder brought me back to the present.

“I-I’m here!”

“Good.” Honeydew nervously glanced around. “We do not keep Farin Gaela waiting.”


The ant queen rested in-between newly dug out holes for the many larvae, surrounded by watchful soldier ants. She was massive, larger than a normal breezie and at least four times the weight. Her mandibles clicked at out arrival, the large body shifting slightly to acknowledge our presence. Using his tongue, Honeydew responded in kind.

“Your circumstances have forced you. Your intrusion is justified.” My eyes widened as the queen spoke, her voice dry, rough, like she was gurgling sandstone. “I wish we could offer hospitality, but you have caught us at dangerous times, son of the wind-god.”

“Honored earth-daughter,-” Honeydew began, but a loud click from the queen silenced him.

“And yet, you arrive in the middle of a catastrophe. Your kind should not be moving about at times as cold as this, either. What happened at the surface that brought you here?”

“What is happening here?” I burst out, almost startling myself that I’d actually spoken. Well, no way back now, I thought and swallowed, trying to ignore the stares of all the ants around me- “We were attacked on our way here, but Honeydew said that shouldn’t have happened b-because it was a worker, and…” my mouth opened and closed as that train of thought abruptly halted. “And… and why does this place look like a warzone?! Is another swarm invading? How could they even get here without freezing?” Catching my breath, I nervously sought out Honeydew’s eyes, hoping my outburst wouldn’t get us in trouble…

“I am under attack from my own swarm, young wind-daughter. Those that have gone to the farthest reaches of the hive, ventured too far from the scent of their mother, they have been twisted.” she rose up, a bristling rage in her voice as the soldiers around her clicked their metal-coated mandibles in agitation. “ They woke from their slumber. They no longer recognize their mother, tear into their own homes like raiders of a distant swarm, kill their sisters and push back my soldiers. The lowest tunnels have fallen to them. I have left the brood-chambers as they bunched up in such great numbers that I could no longer guarantee the safety of our larvae.”

Ants turning away from their queen? I wracked my brain, trying to remember if Fluttershy ever mentioned something like this, but to no avail. Ants were practically organic machines, what could cause them to act like this?! Honeydew seemed equally confused, shrugging as I met his eyes.

“Then,” kalypso spoke up, stepping forth, eliciting a spout of rapid clicking from the queen as she stood before her. “It is not safe for us to go on our way?”

“You are a deep-eyed one.” the queen’s antennae reached down, touching Kalypso’s. “Your presence here… strange. Rare. Coincides with our disaster. What is your destination?”

Kalypso, trembling under the sudden attention and fighting not to pull away from the queen, took a deep breath. Swallowing, she took a moment to compose herself.

“T-the winds of Fjermengard are free- a-at least one of the spirits is, and we think it’s only one.”

“Spirits…” The queen hissed, “it explains this winter. But we cannot influence the paths they take.”

“M-maybe we can.” Kalypso said, raising her head to appear more confident, even as he legs quivered. “I had a vision, and assistance… a friend who might be able to stand up to a spirit, if we can get to the place in my vision, a frozen pond, out… somewhere.”

“A friend who can fight spirits?” Even with my limited experience, I could hear the doubt in the queen’s voice. “But regardless, the news of a spirit of ice... it is troubling.”

“That it is.” Kalypso agreed. “Farin Gaela, please, all we need is safe travel through your hive, to the- the, uh...” she stammered, glancing at Honeydew.

“the tunnel exit leading north of the mountain of ancient fire.”

“Y-yes.” Kalypso sheepishly nodded.

At that, the queen’s antennae froze. “Those tunnels have fallen.” she explained. “I cannot guarantee you safe passage there, wind-daughter.”

“But-” Kalypso exclaimed, her eyes widening at the news. “Our mission- we have to stop the spirit-”

“However, if you are committed to your cause,” the queen said darkly as she rose up, looming above us. “When the surface grows bright once more, we will attack the maddened. You may use this to slip by them, entering one of our deepest tunnels. It will bring you close to your destination. This is all I can offer."

Author's Note:

Hello, Breezie fans, I sincerely hope this chapter was worth the wait. I'm so glad I got to find a moment to explore the ants a bit, after all. (Originally I planned something with bees, but that never went anywhere)

Please, as always, give me your impression of the chapter. I love reading your comments, it really makes my day. every time.

Obsi,
signing :raritydespair:ouuuuut