• Published 4th Jan 2019
  • 4,134 Views, 91 Comments

Leave It All Behind - ShowShine



After Twilight destroys her school, she runs away from home, taking Spike with her. She stumbles across a small town called Ponyville.

  • ...
6
 91
 4,134

Fixing home

Twilight walked through the forest with Spike on her back and the Apples following her. Twilight moved at few bushes to reveal a large castle.

“This is where we live,” Twilight said while pointing to the castle.

“Woooaaah...” Applejack and Big Mac marveled at the large structure. Granny Smith cocked her eyebrow.

“Is this place safe to live in?” She asked. Twilight shrugged her shoulders.

“I’m not sure, I’ve only been here for a day. I haven’t even seen the whole place.” Twilight answered honestly as she walked on the bridge. The bridge rocked back and forth as everyone walked across. They safely made it to the other side. Granny Smith knocked on the side of the bridge.

“This thing ain’t very sturdy,” Granny muttered to herself. Applebloom, who was strapped to Granny’s side, nodded her head even though she didn’t know what she was saying. One of the large front doors laid on the ground. They walked into the castle. Granny grimaced at the sight. Bugs crawled everywhere, the walls were cracked, and the ceiling had holes in it.

” Poor thing really is abandoned.” Granny whispered to herself.

“Wheres your room?” She asked. Twilight gestured for them to follow her. They walked down the long hallway until they reached the room Twilight slept in the night before.

“This is it,” Twilight said. Granny Smith gave a disgusted look and turned to Applejack and Big Mac.

“You two go get tools and tell Burnt Oak to bring his supplies,” Granny ordered. Both children nodded there heads and ran out of the room. She turned to Twilight.

“We’re gonna fix this place up.”


Applejack and Big Mac walked into the castle with a brown stallion with grey hair and a tan hat walked in. He had five carts filled to the brim with supplies and a toolbox. He looked up at the castle and let out a whistle.

“This will be quite a project to work on.” He said out loud. He walked into the castle and unstrapped the carts from his torso. Granny Smith stood there, looking at a wall and running her hoof along the crack.

“Heya Granny, what can I help you with?” Burnt Oak asked. Granny walked over to him and started speaking in a low whisper.

“There’s this lil filly who came into town with a baby dragon and her parents done abandoned her. I don’t have enough finances to take in two children, so this place needs to be as homely possible.” Granny said. Burnt Oak nodded his head in understanding. He walked over to his carts and pulled out a few bags of plaster and a ladder.

“Let’s start with the walls.” He said. He turned to Big Mac.

“Hey Mac, you remember how to tile floors right?” Burnt Oak asked. Big Mac nodded his head.

“Perfect, you and AJ start cleaning, and once you’re done start tiling.” He ordered. Both children nodded their heads and pulled out brooms and garbage bags. He felt a tug on his tail and turned around to see Twilight standing there. Burnt Oak looked at the ceiling.

“Is your magic good?” He asked. Twilight nodded her head.

“Do you know how to use tools?” He asked. Twilight nodded her head again.

“I need you to plaster and paint those holes in the ceiling. I’ll get someone to fix the window parts.” He said. Twilight nodded her head, levitated a bag of plaster and ran out of the room. A loud clash of keys organ played making everyone look around.

“What in Equestria was that?!” Granny Smith asked. More keys played and one of the walls flipped, revealing a very frightened looking Applejack. Big Mac ran down towards Granny Smith.

“GRANNY APPLEJACK GOT EATEN BY A WALL!” He exclaimed in fear.

“I’m over here Mac.” Applejack said, making her brother turn around. Big Mac let out a sigh of relief. The organ played again, opening a trap door under Burnt Oak. He fell on the ground below him with a loud thud, knocking the wind out of him. He gasped for air. Once his breath came back, he looked around to see that he was in a hallway. The organ played again.

“I need to figure out what that is.” Burnt Oak said as he walked down the hallway. The organ got louder. He rounded the corner to see Applebloom and Spike banging on the keys of the organs happily. They both giggled. Burnt Oak picked both children up and placed them on the floor. He stared at the organ and pressed one of the keys. A nearby floor panel sprung out.

“Who would even build a place like this?” Burnt Oak questioned. He went into the small gap behind the organ and started to push it forwards. Behind the organ reveal tiny wires connected to inside it. The wires seemed to be made of magic. He reached under his hat and pulled out a tiny pocket knife from under his hat and started to cut at the wires. The wires snapped in half. Burnt Oak came from behind the organ and pushed it back against the wall. He pressed the same key on the organ and nothing happen.

“I’m glad you’re okay, you took a pretty nasty fall,” Granny said, making Burnt Oak turn around.

“This organ was setting off all of those traps in here. Luckily I fixed it so it won’t happen again.” He said. Granny picked up Spike and Applebloom.

“I don’t know why anyone would want to live in a place like this.” Burnt Oak said. Granny Smith shrugged her shoulders and started to leave the room.

“It’s the only place she has,” Granny said. They both walked down the hallway. Spike and Applebloom happily babbled to each other, filling out the silence in the hallway. Granny and Burnt Oak walked up the stairs to see half of the floor was tiled and the ceiling was completely repaired.

“Wow, you kids did great, you even fixed the glass part of the ceiling.” Burnt Oak complimented.

“I found a few spells on how to repair glass!” Twilight exclaimed happily. Burnt Oak stared at two long, tattered tapestries hanging from the ceiling.

“What should we do with these?” He asked.

“Oh , Rarity wouldn’t mind fixin em.” Applejack said. Twilight unhooked the tapestries with her magic.

“Applejack, Twilight, go to Rarity’s to fix those tapestries, and bring Applebloom with you,” Granny said. Applejack nodded her head, attached the baby carrier to her side and slipped Applebloom in. Twilight put Spike on her back, rolled up the tapestries and levitated them over her head. Both fillies walked out of the castle and made their way to the Carousel Boutique.


Applejack knocked on the door, which swung open immediately.

“Applejack, Twilight, what a pleasant surprise!” Rarity exclaimed.

“Hey Rares, we have some things for you to fix if you don’t mind.” Applejack said while she and Twilight walked inside. Rarity gasped when she saw the tapestries.

“Where did you find such a marvelous piece of art?!” Rarity asked.

“They were hanging up in my house, do you mind fixing them?” Twilight asked. Rarity vigorously nodded her head.

“I would absolutely adore working on this! Come come.” Rarity said, bringing both fillies to her work station. Sweetie Belle laid in her playpen, rolling her red ball back and forth. Applejack and Twilight placed Applebloom and Spike in the playpen. Sweetie Belle sat up happily and hopped around in excitement. All babies giggled at each other. Rarity looked at Spike in confusion.

“What happened to his eye?” Rarity asked. Twilights ears flattened.


“He...got attacked by a timberwolf yesterday,” Twilight said sadly. Rarity gave her a look of sympathy before levitating a small decorated box from under her bed.

“I know this doesn’t help much, but a little while back. I did an eyepatch fashion line that didn’t sell well. I want him to have these.” Rarity said while handing Twilight that box. Twilight smiled.

“Thanks.” Twilight said. She opened the box to see colorful eyepatches. She pulled out a black one with a red flame mark on it. Twilight levitated Spike out of the playpen and placed him on the floor. She unwrapped the ace bandage from his eye. A deep scar started at his eyebrow and ended at the top of his cheek. Twilight inhaled sharply at that sight and placed the eyepatch over his eye. She placed him back in the playpen.

“Now let's get to work.” Rarity said, levitating one of the tapestries towards her.


Applejack and Twilight walked into the castle and gasped at what they saw. The floors were completely tiled, the walls were painted, the windows were fixed, and the paintings were hung up.

“Wow...” Twilight marveled. Burnt Oak walked from down the hallway.

“Do you like what we did with the place?” He asked. Twilight beamed brightly.

“I love it!” Twilight exclaimed with a grin. Burnt Oak walked over to two light switches. He flicked one light switch and a beautiful chandler turned on. Burnt Oak put his hoof on the other light switch.

“This switch lights up a path from the castle, to the town. It automatically turns on once it starts to get dark and you can turn it off at any time. It keeps the creatures away.” Burnt Oak explained. He pointed to Spike.

“I even built a crib for the little guy.” He said.

“Tomorrow I’m going to build a better bridge.” Burnt Oak said. Twilight smiled.

This was really starting to feel like home.