• Published 6th Aug 2012
  • 1,982 Views, 68 Comments

A new beginning - Da Bunnana King



Blue Rune may have escaped Australia but has he really escaped his past by fleeing to Equestria?

  • ...
14
 68
 1,982

Chapter six: Beginning Anew

A new beginning
By Da Bunnana King

Chapter Six: Beginning Anew
===

I was covered in sweat as I strained myself to lift up the four large books Twilight had told me to levitate in front of me for a minute.

“I-, can’t hold on much longer Twilight,” I struggled to say as the weight was almost impossible for me to carry.

“You can do it Rune,” she cheered as I could hear the timer’s ticks become evermore slower.

“How much longer?!” I strained to say as my legs began to wobble as I forced all my magic at holding the pile of books.

“Ten more seconds, come on you’re nearly there,” she continued as I counted the seconds in my head.

Do it,’ the voice at the back of my head ordered. I did as I was told and relaxed as I let less magic flow out of my horn and moved into an almost meditative state.

“Three, two, one. See you did it, I told you a foal could do it,” she remarked as I exhaled and let the books float gently towards the ground.

“Yeah… but that took a lot out of me,” I said as I lied down on the ground panting.

“Oh hush you,” she said as she helped me back up, “Besides for a pony whose never done magic before, you’re doing really well.”

“Really?” I asked as I thought I had the magic ability of a rock.

“Yes, but you still need practice. Tell you what, if you practice picking up heavy objects or just practice holding things with your magic; you’ll get levitation down pat in no time,” she replied nodding once.

“Okay… but I was wondering something,” I said as I regained my breath and strength. By now Twilight had already begun to put some books away.

“What is it?” she replied.

“Well, I have a little filly and well fillies need to go to school right?” I asked as I pawed at the wooden floor with my hoof.

“Yes?” she leaded.

“Well, do you know any where she could go to school?” I asked as I looked back up to her.

“Well how old is she?”

“… I don’t know really, but she’s about the same height as Spike,” I said a bit ashamed I didn’t know my adopted daughter’s age.

“Well she is probably about seven years old then, if we're going by human years. So she could probably go to Miss Cheerilee’s School,” she said as she gave me a funny look.

“But speaking of age; how old are you?” She asked as she looked at me with an even more quizzical look.

“Eighteen… why?” I asked confused as why she wanted my-. Oh dear lord, please don’t tell me she’s attracted to me.

“Oh, well you still look like a colt. Well not really a colt but a young stallion,” she said as I was relieved of that thought, but why would she want to know my age?

“Okay… but why is it a problem if I look like a really young stallion, I mean it’s not going to make me stand out like a sore thumb; I mean I don’t have a cutie mark and all so that adds to the whole,” I said as I stood up awkwardly on my hind legs, “Look at me everypony! I’m a silly newfoal from Australia that doesn’t know any magic!”

“Blue keep it down,” she said as she helped me back down to all fours.

“Why? I thought a lot of newfoals came to Equestria?” I asked as she gave me a worrying look.

“Well not a lot of ponies like newfoals around here, because of what they’ve heard what humans do to each other. That and with you not having a cutie mark just adds to the suspicion that you could be up to no good,” she replied back to me in a worried tone of voice.

“Why they're not going to kill me are they, because if they are; I’ll have them know I’ve been on top of the Australian’s HLF bounty list for the last past year,” I boasted about my extremely high bounty I probably still had on my head.

“Wait, you’re Alejandro Linstorm?!” she nearly shouted in fright.

“That I am,” I responded puffing out my chest in pride of what I once was.

“That is bad, that is really bad,” she said.

“Oh it can’t be that bad, can it?” I asked back as I deflated my chest.

“Look, let’s just say that lots of ponies don’t like it when newfoals have a history of hurting other ponies or people, but from the stories we’ve heard about you killing all those men and then that incident I heard this morning of a man helping the PER ponify the entirety of the Brisbane’s HLF; who may I just add looked a lot like the Alex in the photograph… well let’s just say a lot of ponies aren’t going to trust you and are going to be worried standing next to you,” she admitted as I was shocked about how quickly word had travelled of my attack.

“Okay… so what should I do?” I asked wondering how I was going to keep my past from biting me in the flank.

“Well just be you… well not the human you, but the new pony you. I mean what all humans have been offered to them is something that nopony in Equestria can ever have, and that’s a new life,” she said as I realized I was no longer a six foot eleven male from Australia anymore, but a four foot blue unicorn.

“So I’d suggest using the gift you’ve accepted and begin a new life,” she said putting a hoof on my shoulder.

Then it hit me, and it hit me hard. I was truly given a new life; a new face, a new voice, a new body. Hay, I was a totally different species for Pete’s sake; it was a new beginning for me and a new beginning I hoped I would not mess up this time.

“Wow…” I stood there still in awe of what I had been given.

“Yes, so I’m going to say to try and put your old life behind you and embrace being an Equestrian,” she said stepping back a bit.

“So any idea of how to do that? I mean I don’t have a job, I’ve got minimal skills as a pony and well… I don’t know how to be a pony at all,” I said as the odds looked to be weighed against me.

“Don’t worry, I have a friend who can give you a job. If you’re willing to put in some hard work. Also I’d suggest bringing your daughter to school every day so everypony will see you wandering around, also I’d try applying to get into Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. You're about the age and from what I’ve seen, well you look like you’ve been using magic all your life,” she said as I took in every bit of what she said.

“Okay, so who is this friend of yours?” I asked.

“Applejack, she works on the big apple farm you probably saw coming on the carriage ride in,” she said as we walked over to a window to see the massive apple orchard in the distance.

“Okay… is there anything I should say to her?”

“I’ll tell her to expect you, just say your name and she’ll put you to work bucking apples,”

“Okay then, but Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. How would I get into that?” I asked as we turned back to face the library and its many books.

“Well, I can help you write an application for it,” she said as she rubbed her hooves together in glee.

“Oooohh it’s going to be so fun writing an application again and it might get read by one of my old teachers,” she excitedly said as she acted like a colt in a candy shop.

“Does that mean I might get in easier?”

“No, it’s going to be signed by you, but I’m also going to teach you how to write your own really; because they only accept student’s who’ve written their own reason why they want to attend such a school, they need to see the drive that’s in you Rune,” she said sounding like my mother.

“Well, alright. But thank you for all you’ve done for me today Twilight, if I didn’t have your help… well let’s just say I would have been better off back in Australia,” I said hugging her.

“It’s quite alright Blue Rune, but just remember that you’ve got a new life now. Try and think about that and less about Australia,” she said as she broke away from the hug.

“Okay, so I guess I’ll see you around?” I said as I picked up my book with my magic and my saddle bags.

“I guess so, but could you leave the book here… it just means a lot to me,” she said as the book hovered in front of me.

“Okay, Twilight, it’s the least I can do for now. But I promise you, I will repay you,” I said as I placed the book over on the table.

“Rune don’t worry about paying me, it’s quite fine. But I’m sorry to be pushing you out like this but it is getting late, and I do have to tell AJ that you’re coming tomorrow. That and Spike has probably escaped and gone to help Rarity,” she said since we hadn’t seen Spike at all during my training.

“Okay, well I’ll let you get to your things… so see you tomorrow, maybe?” I asked as I fastened my saddle bags to myself.

“Maybe Blue Rune, Applejack is probably going to make you work from sunrise till sunset. But if you do finish early you can come by and I can help you some more with your magic, before we teach you Equestrian, but come on. I’ve got to get Spike back home before he misses his bed time,” she said nearly pushing me out of the library.

“Well see you whenever… I guess,” I said as I began to trot towards my parent’s home.

“See you around Rune,” she said as she shut the door.
===

I continued along the main road, past the now vacant market as the sun began to set.

Wow, has it really been a whole day for teaching me how to levitate a few books?’ I asked myself as I could see someponies still closing up their stalls and stores.

Sighing, I continued my journey home wondering what tomorrow would be like.

I then began to see the white fence of the house as the sun had begun to set.

“Oh boy, I’m going to be late and mum’s going to kill me if I’m late,” I said as I began to gallop towards the house.

I reached the fence and jumped over it, sending me flying through the air and onto the grassy lawn. I then stopped my gallop and trotted up slightly puffed from it and pushed it open with my face. Well I had planned to, but I felt a bit cocky and decided to open the door with my magic.

I reached out to the door handle with my magic and pushed it in slightly, and the door nearly flung open if it weren’t for me keeping it from opening all the way.

“I’m back!” I cried out as I closed the door behind me with magic and then proceeded to unbuckle the saddlebags from me.

“We’re about to sit down for dinner sweetie! Come and join us, we’re having salad tonight!” yelled mum from the kitchen as I let the saddle bags slide off to hit the ground with a nice solid thud.

“Alright,” I said as I trotted into the kitchen to see the whole family sitting down to eat dinner; they literally sitting down on throw pillows that came from the living room.

“So how was your day?” asked mum as she placed a large helping of green leafy salad into my wooden bowl.

“Learnt about magic,” I said as I began to dig into the salad by shoving my face into the bowl and devouring anything that came close to my mouth.

“So what was it like?” asked Sunset as he took a bite of his salad.

“Really weird, but powerful… it…” I began as I tried to describe the sensation I felt as I performed magic, “It was like lifting something with your mind, but putting all the strength you have in your body and forcing at one object, but you have to be relaxed and let what comes naturally.”

“Wow, sound interesting,” said mum as she poured some olive oil in her salad.

“When do I get to do magic Runey?!” excitedly asked Remi as she licked off a leaf of lettuce from her short green muzzle.

“Hopefully tomorrow when you go to your first day of School,” I said as I had finished the entire bowl of salad, and I still felt empty.

“Awww… wait, yay! I get to go to school!” she cheered for joy.

“I know, but finish your dinner so we can get you to bed. You need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for school tomorrow,” I said as I ruffled her mane and scooped myself another bowl of salad with my magic.

“Wow son, you’re quite good at magic,” Sunset said as I placed it back with relative ease.

“Thanks, but Twilight says I’ve got a long way to go,” I said as I dug into the next serving of salad.

“So I’m guessing you’re going back to see her again tomorrow?” he asked as I looked up.

“Actually I found myself a job, well I hope. But Twilight said that she’ll put in a good word for me down at the orchard,” I replied back as I took another massive bit of my salad.

“I see. Apple bucking is a hard job, do you think you’re up for it?” he asked as if I was a meek and scrawny colt.

“I’m sure I can handle it,” I said as I finished up my bowl, “Anyhow I should get this cute little filly to bed so she can get up in the morning and then I’m going to head to bed.”

“Alright, see you tomorrow morning. Oh and your rooms are in the guest bedroom for now, but you're going to be sharing a bed. I hope that’s alright?” mum said as I escorted Remi towards the guest bedroom.

“Should be fine, anyhow; good night all,” I said as I entered into the well laid out bedroom.

It was like the bedroom on the ship but without the seashell wallpaper and the emptiness of the room. Instead it had the standard bed, a large wardrobe, a table with a matching chair, and a nice light burnt yellow paint that covered the walls.

“Come on Remi, into bed you go,” I said as I helped her onto the bed with my long neck.

“Okay,” she said as stood up on the bed.

Once she was on the bed I unfurled the bed sheets as she hopped underneath them. I sighed and moved over the top of her to get to the spot in the double sized bed closest to the wall. I then moved underneath the bed covers and slid down until my hind legs hit the base of the bed.

“Goodnight Remi,” I said as I kissed the back of her mane then rolling over to get to sleep.

“Goodnight Runey,” she said as she rolled over and hugged me goodnight, until she rolled over to go to sleep within my forelegs.

I silently let out a sigh and rolled over to hug her, making sure she was safe. She moved closer into the hug and then promptly began to fall into a deep sleep.

Well, tomorrows a new day of a new life… God I hope I don’t stuff this one up,’ I thought to myself as I closed my eyes, still hugging Remi as I fell into a deep sleep myself.
===
Author’s Notes: Sleep is for the weak.