• Published 6th Aug 2012
  • 1,982 Views, 68 Comments

A new beginning - Da Bunnana King



Blue Rune may have escaped Australia but has he really escaped his past by fleeing to Equestria?

  • ...
14
 68
 1,982

Chapter Five: First lesson

A new beginning
By Da Bunnana King

Chapter five: First lesson
===

As I continued to trot down the dirt path towards the tree I began to notice a difference in the houses I passed; before all the houses had thatched roofs and walls made out of wood covered with a mixture of clay and hay painted over with a strong mixture of sand yellow. Now some of them had just plain wood or concrete walls and flat roofs.

Did the town have more newfoals than I had originally believed or did human engineering slowly creep into Equestrian house making? Never the less, it stood out like a sore thumb amongst the other country style houses and the massive oak tree.

The tree was massive, totally dwarfing me and the houses surrounding it. It’s bark was twisted near it’s roots as it began to smooth out into a near flat surface; the roots also seemed to… glow in a pale green light from the twists and curves which almost seemed to form a pattern in the bark. The tree was also carved out, as the window showed a library well stocked; which seemed to be far larger on the inside than the outside.

Well Rune, time to learn how to use that horn,’ I mentally told myself as I raised a hoof to the door. I tapped the door with my hoof making the door almost open from the force.

“Coming!” cried a juvenile voice as the pitter patter of feet against wood was heard.

The door flung open to a small purple lizard thing with emerald scales sticking out of its head, running down the length of its back finishing at the end of his tail. The creature had the same color eyes that were almost cat like in appearance. I was a bit taken back by the small bipedal lizard, but it seemed almost childlike in appearance; with its large build-up of fat in the cheeks and belly.

“So, what can I do for you bro?” asked the purple lizard.

“Ummm-, I was wondering if I could see Twilight please?” I politely asked as I was still put off by the creature that stood before me.

“Okay, just give me a moment,” it said as it turned around, “TWILIGHT! WE HAVE SOMEPONY HERE TO SEE YOU!” he yelled into the library.

“Coming Spike!” yelled Twilight.

What the hay is that thing?’ I wondered as a purple mare began trotting down the stairs, ‘I mean it looks like a… Oh please don’t tell me that is a dragon.

“Who is it Spike?” asked Twilight as Spike turned around to face me almost blankly staring at him.

“Oh, sorry. I phased out there for a minute,” I said focusing on the purple unicorn, “My name is Blue Rune and a friend said you could help me with my magic.”

“Oh… well come on in,” she said stepping out of the way and leading a hoof inside to the library.

“Thanks,” I replied as I entered, but as I entered I felt a strong presence hit me. It was like I was passing through a barrier of frozen air and into a warm room. I could feel an energy beginning to build up inside of me, almost as if I had a small cup of coffee before entering.

“So Mr. Rune-,” she began before I cut her off.

“Please, just call me Rune,”

“Alright Rune; so tell me. Who is this friend of yours?” she asked as she waved Spike off into the next room as her posture slightly lowered to the ground and he eyes were almost dead locked onto me.

“Shadow Jester. Apparently he was one of your students when you worked in a Conversion Bureau in Australia,” I said as I reached back and opened my saddle bag with great difficulty to reach the book Shadow had given me.

“Shadow Jester?” she replied as she went from a state of defensiveness to one that looks like she had been knocked off her hooves.

“Yeshmp why?” I said muffled by the papery tasting book.

“But… Wait, did he give this to you?” she said as the book was snatched from my mouth by her purple field of magic.

“Yes… but why?” I asked again as she flipped through the pages looking for something, “He wrote something on the first page.”

She heard what I said and quickly open up to the very first page of the book.

“Oh Shadow,” she whimpered as she looked like she was on the verge of tears.

“Are, are you alright?” I asked as I took a step forward in concern.

“Yes, quite alright… I just thought I would never hear again from my special somepony,” she replied as she whipped away a tear from her muzzle.

“Oh?” I stated as I was confused.

“Yes, he and I were close… but…” she began, “Well, it’s a long story and a bit personal. Anyhow, let’s teach you some basic magic.”

Well now… that came out from nowhere,’ I mentally said as she began levitating various books from the shelves and towards us.

“So let’s begin with the simple things,” she said as she placed a single book in front of me as she took several steps back.

“I want you to focus on that book,” she said pointing at the thick brown book that separated us.

“… Okay,” I responded trying to fathom how in the world I would do that.

I began to stare intently at it, as if it was going to explode into tiny bits and pieces. But nothing happened.

Come on, there has to be a way to this,’ I told myself as I took a long breath and relaxed.

I stared at it again, and began to visualize the book in my head. I began to make a mental image of the brown pulpy substance that made the book’s hard cover; the thin delicate pieces of papyrus that made the pages, and where words of another language were written. I then began to see the ancient wood that the book sat upon as I closed my eyes I began to put all my effort into focusing on it.

As I focused more, and more on the book; I felt something begin to build up inside of me, something big that moved in motion to my heart beat. That something began to almost feel like a small wave moving throughout my body. It began to channel itself into one solid stream, as it moved from the very core of my body and towards my head.

It was almost like a strong pressure pushing through my neck. It felt as if it was going to pop my head right off my body. But it didn’t stop, it continued to the base of my skull where it began to build more pressure. It was immense, like a kink in a hose that stopped the water from coming out. I began to relax my neck muscles and let the pressure move through me.

Then in a sudden burst of power, I felt the book move. I could almost see it through my closed eyes. Then the mental image began to take color; it was a darkened purple color that made up the room, but the book was lit up in a purplish light blue aura.

I could feel the book; its weight, the hard brown cover and it’s delicate pages. I felt like I was holding it in my ghostly grasp.

Lift it,’ A voice that sounded like me echoed in my head. I acknowledged it and began to put more of this strange pressure underneath the book, to almost push it up in a torrent of wind. Then the book began to slowly rise, as I began to feel weak; very weak.

I began to strain underneath the weight of the book. I began to almost force my energy into making it continue to rise, but I couldn’t even stand my own weight. The room began to slowly fade, as the aura around the book began to diminish. I couldn’t take the strain I was under and opened my eyes to a blinding light.

“Guah!” I exclaimed in pure exhaustion as I buckled underneath my own weight.

“Oh my,”Twilight exclaimed as she caught me in her magic. I could feel her trying to prop me up as my world faded quickly to black.

Then my world sprung back to life with color and noises, but I was completely exhausted.

“Rune? Rune?!” yelled a muffled Twilight as she placed her hooves on my muzzle to bring me back to reality from my lethargic state.

“Wait, what?” I said as I felt a massive shot of adrenalin hit me, making everything kick into overdrive.

“Oh thank Celestia you’re okay,” she said bear hugging me.

“You had me scared for a bit, but don’t you ever do that again,” she quipped as she broke the hug and dropped me to the ground.

I was confused as to what I had just done. Did I faint from lifting a single book?

“What did I do?” I asked as I got back on my hooves with almost relative ease.

“Well first you focused on the book like I said, but then all of a sudden you began focusing on everything. Then-, well then you began to lift the book with a sudden burst of energy, along with every single book I’d taken out.” She said as I looked around the room to see several books tossed carelessly around the room.

“Did I do that?” I said as I ignored what she had said as I looked at the mess I made.

“Yes… but what concerns me the most… well,” she began as I faced her pawing at the ground.

“What you did there was something I’ve only seen done once, and that was by me as a foal… but not to that extent,” she said as she looked at me with her deep purple eyes.

“What did I do?” I asked as I had begun to slowly feel anxiety come on.

“You successfully levitated ten books, two plants, a heavy oak guard bust, and the table it sat under… Rune… that was some powerful magic you conjured up,” she said with a great deal of emphasis.

“So,” I stated not truly concerned for what I had done.

“Rune… I’m the personnel protégé of Princess Celestia, who picked me to attend the School for Talented young Unicorns after I did something like that,” she said, “I… I think there’s something powerful within you Rune, waiting to be let out.”

“I... I don’t understand?” I asked confused as I almost began to panic, “What can a harmless newfoal that can’t stand up on four hooves hold inside of him?”

“I don’t know, but what you did was magic that was far beyond any newfoal, let alone some grown unicorns can do. Never the less it was raw and undefined, I can teach you how to control it, but only if you promise me not to do that again,” she said as if she was going to save me from myself.

“What could I possibly do? I mean come on, I’m a newfoal,” I stated again as I began watching her trot to a bookshelf.

“Blue Rune, magic is something that is far more powerful than the sun itself. And if some unicorns can’t control their magic… well…” she said as she pulled out a large thick tome with her magic from the top shelf.

“Well, they can end up becoming consumed by their power and go mad,” she sorrowfully said.

“Here look,” she said as she motioned me to the tome she had opened, “This is King Sombra, he was recently rediscovered after being forgotten by history. He was the only recorded case in Equestrian history to ever be consumed fully by his magical powers. To say the least, he enslaved a nation of ponies and then upon his defeat cursed them to an eternal slumber and confused state when awoken.”

“You don’t say,” I said as I looked at the menacing portrait of a black unicorn wearing a silver crown. His eyes were a deep purple, and his mane a menacing black, but his horn… it was curved towards the end and completely smoothed; as it ended in a red tip.

“That is why I’m afraid of what you just did, if you can’t control your magic that’s inside of you… well, let’s just hope that history doesn’t repeat itself,” she said as she rested the book down on the table behind me.

“Come on, let’s clean up this mess and start again,” she said as she began pushing books into a pile with her magic.

“But I thought you said never to do that again,” I stated as I pushed a book with my muzzle towards the pile she was creating.

“I know, but if I can teach you how to control how much magic you put into levitating a single book, then I’ll be relieved that you can control your magic.”

“Alright,” I said as she arranged the books into a stack of five, creating two piles.

“Let’s try that again, but this time please focus on the book with your eyes open, and breath through your nose this time,” she said as she placed a thick book in front of me.
===
Author’s Note: And then he became an alicorn with a flaming mane and tail. Also thanks for Ocean Breeze for coloring my cover art I drew and my new editor that likes to remain anonymous... unless on skype where I haunt him daily with my stories.