• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 843 Views, 34 Comments

Fairlight - To the Edge of Midnight - Bluespectre



The corpse of Fairlight, last lord of the tribe of wendigo, lies in the ruins of the fortress whilst his spirit is at peace in the land of the eternal herd. Everything he was, has ended. Will Fate finally let him has his much wanted rest?

  • ...
8
 34
 843

Chapter Twenty Two - Blood and Flour

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

BLOOD AND FLOUR

Several days passed without incident, and for me that was one hell of an achievement. My horn felt like it was going to drop off with all the writing I’d been doing lately too. I’d written to Celestia, Brandy, the Chief ,and goodness knows who else to inform them of my ‘return to good health’, although considering how well the grapevine worked in Equestria I suspect that they knew that perfectly well already. Even so, I had couriers take the letters directly to the recipients to share the good news. I’d kept it simple of course, merely making it sound like I’d been taken with a bad cold in case the message somehow fell into the wrong hooves. I doubted they’d believe it for a second of course, but I sure as hell wasn’t going to tell them that my body had been magically healing itself in a cocoon of ice whilst my soul had been on a jolly sojourn in the afterlife. Hell, even I didn’t know how that had happened, and I was a wendigo myself! Huh, maybe I should ask the ‘great sage of all knowledge and wisdom himself’, I’m sure he’d find something on it in the library he was currently infesting. Maroc’s memories didn’t tell me a damned thing as usual, but to be honest I didn’t want to dwell on it too much. I was alive, and more importantly, I was back with my family.

I’d opted to avoid using the Trans Ether Device, or TED’s as they were better known, to notify everypony as I didn’t know who else was listening in. The chief had left one behind for Tingles in case of emergencies, but she hadn’t used it in years. Gods alone knew if the thing even worked still. No, a letter was direct, personal, and I would get confirmation from the courier of its delivery into the hooves of the intended recipient. I’d spent the rest of my time getting to know my warriors better, spending time with my family and enjoying the company of those who didn’t want to kill me for a change. And what a change it was! I have to say though, if there was one thing that had really shocked me it was how the village looked in the daylight. The cottages had all been re-roofed, the walls painted, neat new fences put up, sign posts erected telling you where the smithy was, the bakers, and so on and so on. There were even benches set up for weary passers by! The bandstand I’d seen when I’d first arrived wasn’t just a memorial either apparently, it was used regularly for actual music. I was quite pleased about that too considering I was effectively reading my own epitaph! It seems Tingles often sang here whilst our newly formed ‘music group’ played a variety of instruments to entertain the ever enthusiastic audience. An audience, I might add, that was amply supplied by the tavern with alcoholic lubrication. We’d also begun to make inroads into boosting the economy of our little village too, with many of my proposed alterations already being started. The plans for the new brewery were being drafted, the wood cut and the nails readied. In fact with the expansion of our farming enterprises we’d had to send off for supplies from outlying villages and towns for new ploughshares, seed, and all the usual paraphernalia of a farming community.

I think some of the hardest changes to make though were a little less, shall we say, ‘tangible’? Dragging Smiling Borders out of the rut it had been in for only the gods knew how long was never going to be plain sailing. For the most part I’d not been met with any real resistance during the drive for what you could conservatively call ‘modernisation’, but rather I’d encountered a general feeling of… uncertainty. It was particularly noticeable amongst the older generation. I had to keep reminding myself that I was dealing with a people who had done things a certain way for a thousand years, and overnight changes, which they pretty much were, had come as one hell of a shock to the system. The younger ones were more enthusiastic as I expected, but the older ones weren’t so sure. I’d reasoned with them of course, explaining to them how we had to expand the tribe by rebuilding our lands and bringing in wealth, and they’d understood it all. It was just… change. They didn’t really like things to be different did they? But worst of all was the thought that we may be bringing in ‘outsiders’ to build up our numbers. I’d heard them: the mutterings, the whispers, the sudden changes in topic when they thought I was within earshot. ‘Foreigners’ would be coming here. Dozens, maybe even hundreds! What would we do if they wanted to take over? Our forces weren’t that big to begin with and we’d lost many in the fighting with the changelings. What if they wanted to come here and mate with our females? Those ponies from the towns were… well, they weren’t like us, were they? They were different! They wouldn’t understand our ways.

And so on, and so on, and so on…

For Luna’s sake...” I sank back in my chair and took a thoughtful pull on my pipe.

I’d never said anything at all about inviting more people to live here, but they were bloody well muttering about it all the same. I guess some just liked to moan and gossip, but I didn’t like it. And that was the funny thing about it all though, wasn’t it? A tribe of wendigo who had non-wendigo warriors and staff go to war. The remnants, who aren’t even wendigo themselves, set up a village of minotaurs, ponies, griffins, hippogriffs, and in fact anypony or any-thing who was even vaguely related to the old tribal network, and now they’re worried about people moving here from a few miles up the bloody road!

“I doubt you’ll be able to change their minds.” Grimble pulled up a seat beside me, placing a selection of glasses down next to a full bottle of brandy. “They’re a stubborn lot at heart, but loyal all the same.”

“Bar one,” Tingles noted. She gratefully took the shot of brandy and sipped it thoughtfully, “We still haven’t decided what to do with Zander Pinfeather yet.”

“Thoughts?” I offered.

Shadow shook her head, “Dangerous. Dangerous to all. Death would be a mercy to the memory of his ancestors.

“We can’t just execute him!” Tingles said suddenly, “This is a life we’re talking about here. He may be a murderer, but there is a justice system in Equestria. We don’t have the right to act as judge, jury and executioner.”

Grimble cleared his throat, “Forgive me my lady, but we actually do.” All eyes turned to the griffin as he explained, “When the territories were returned by the white w- I mean, Princess Celestia, it also included our right to self determination, which also included all of our laws and governance. We have a full set of legal documents in the vault which you can view at any time of course.”

“And you know what these legal processes would be in this case, Grimble?” I asked.

He nodded, “Mostly, my lord. Over the years I read the old texts as something of a hobby when I had some spare time. I never actually believed we would ever need them in their entirety again, at least not in my lifetime, but as a people we have tried to stay true to the spirit of them these last few centuries.” He reached over and topped up our brandies, “I’m afraid the law is quite clear in the case of murder. Zander, if found guilty by a court of his peers, is to be put death by a method of his choosing.”

“Oh, now that sounds fair!” Tingles snorted. “So when do we get to kill him then? He’s already confessed, so I suppose we’d best go and give him the good news about his choice in the matter, eh?”

“You’re not helping,” I said coolly. “In case you’d forgotten, Tingles, Zander was responsible for having me kidnapped, tortured, and then brainwashed into attempting to assassinate Celestia. When that little scheme failed he tried to murder you, me, Shadow, and our son. That griffin murdered dozens of our tribe, destroyed our home, and made me miss the birth of my daughter and four years of my life, a life I should have been sharing with you all.” I could feel my anger building but closed my eyes and tried my best to keep it down in the shadowed corners of my soul where it could stay until needed. “If you think I have any hint of sympathy for him after what he did, under duress of not, then you can put it out of you mind right now. I have no taste for killing him, but I know his type all too well from my years in the Watch. If he gets so much as a sniff at another chance to make some bits, or if somepony pulls his strings again, then he wouldn’t feel any compunction at all about killing every single one of us. Even our children.” I sat back down and took a pull on my pipe, “We have something here, something wonderful, that our people have not had in over a thousand years. Essentially we have our own country and all that goes with it. We need to stop thinking of ourselves as citizens of the crown and as our own people – a free people. And if that means we have to send a murderer to the chopping block, then so be it.”

Shadow nodded, “Kill him.

Tingles shot her a look, her sense of morality warring with her desire to protect her son and her family. “Isn’t there another way?” she asked. “I just… I just don’t like it. We’ve barely had the lands back five minutes and we’re already talking about killing one of our own.”

“Zander Pinfeather ceased to be one of us when he turned on his own people, Love,” I reasoned. “He will be tried and dealt with appropriately according to tribal law.”

Tingles shook her head and looked away, “It’s still...”

I put my hoof on hers, “I know. I don’t want this to be about retribution, but at the same time we must put the safety and protection of our people and our little ones first. I’d never forgive myself if anything happened to Horizon, Lumin, or any of the children in the village because we failed to act in their best interests.” I also didn’t fancy being blown up again for that matter. If I remembered correctly it wasn’t exactly the nicest experience I’d ever had.

“My Lord?”

“Ah, Ventris!” I turned round in my chair to greet the hippogriff tavern guard with a smile, “What news do you bring?”

Ventris was the new head of internal security, recommended by the ever thoughtful Grimble and appointed by myself to provide close protection for my family. Tingles and Shadow didn’t particularly mind either, which was a relief to say the least.

The tall warrior bobbed his head, “Your guest has arrived, my lord. We’re unloading her things now. Shall I send her in?”

I shook my head, “No, no, I’ll come and meet her myself.” I got up from the table and swept my cloak over my back, “Let’s not keep her waiting after a long flight, eh?” I must have all but vaulted over the chair in my enthusiasm to leave the current conversation, but as much as I didn’t want to appear rude, I was damned glad to be able to escape talking about such dire topics.

Ventris stepped aside as I trotted down the steps and approached the young mare who was helping the driver and Ventris’ warriors take down her trunk from the carriage. She was… not what I expected. In a world of colourful ponies, here was, once again, another grey one. But that was where the similarities with the wendigo of the tribe ended. The young mare had a straight cut lavender mane and tail, sporting a surprisingly plain dress cinched around the middle with a wide black belt. A set of panniers hung over her back which were also similarly unadorned. Her travel cloak was black, with the cowl thrown back revealing more of the mare beneath.

I trotted over and bobbed my head respectfully, “Miss Pie?”

“I am,” she said simply.

“Lord Fairlight at your service, ma’am,” I smiled politely. “May I take your cloak?”

“Why?” The expressionless mare stared at me with her lidded blue eyes.

“Um...” That caught me by surprise! I cleared my throat and tried again, “So I may hang it up for you.”

“I may need it,” the grey mare replied looking up at the sky. “It might rain.”

I’d been warned about this, but it didn’t make it any easier dealing with such an unusually monotone creature. “Would you care to come inside?” I offered, “It’s warmer and you can meet my family whilst we have your luggage take up to your room.”

There was a long delay, before... “Sure.”

Inside we fared little better.

“Hello!” Tingles smiled, holding out a welcoming hoof to our guest. “Nice to have a visitor to our home, Miss…?”

“Pie.” And apparently that was all she was going to get.

“Oh, and um… my name’s Tingles, this is Shadow, Grimble, and you already know Lord Fairlight I believe?”

The newcomer looked to me and nodded, “Yes.”

From behind her I could see Tingles shrugging and gesturing desperately for help, but I was just as lost as she was. It looked like I was going to be struggling here if I tried to engage her in small talk or pleasantries, so I decided to get straight to the point. “Miss Pie, you had a chance to study the picture I sent you?”

“Yes.”

“And what did you think?” Bloody hell, I could feel my hooves twitching already.

“It’s an interesting pendant,” she replied. “I like the colour.”

“Anything else?” I asked, feeling a little exasperated. “I presume you came here because you know more about what it is?” I held up a hoof hurriedly, “And if so, please tell us what you discovered.”

Miss Pie looked at me with that dead-pan expression of hers, “It’s a heart-stone. It remembers the original structure and energy flows through the building material at the time of its creation.”

“So it’s like a blue-print of sorts?” I asked.

She nodded, “Yes.”

My heart began to race, “So, can you do something with it? Make it work somehow?”

Miss Pie looked at me in silence for a moment, apparently deep in thought. “I don’t know,” she replied.

Oh, for bucks sake! “Miss Pie, please, I’m told you are the foremost geologist in the country and I am offering you the chance to do something unique, something truly spectacular, that as far as I know has never been done attempted before,” I explained. “It is something that could change our lives, all of our lives, and for the better. I am also asking you, please… tell me what I need to do to make this work.” She seemed a little unsure, but in those expressionless eyes it could have been anything. “Miss Pie... Maude...” I closed my eyes and took a breath, “If you don’t want to have anything to do with this then please, just say so. I’ve had too many dreams shattered into dust to see another crumble down around me because of my lack of foresight or my trying to reach for something that only the gods can attain. Whatever you decide I’ll make sure you get home safely and be well compensated for your time. Should you wish, you’ll never have to see me nor this place ever again.”

The mare looked at the others sat around the table, then to me, the picture, and then back to me once again. “I need to see the heart stone,” she said calmly, “and I will need to see the heart of the structure.”

“I’m guessing that’s not a metaphor for something else is it?” I asked hopefully.

She shook her head, “No. It is where the heart stone was created.”

I looked to Grimble who furrowed his brow in thought, “I believe it is the central chamber of the mountain, my lord. But in truth, I can’t say for certain.”

“Do you know where it is?” I asked hopefully. “Any maps, drawings, stories, anything?”

“Only the dead could tell you now I fear,” Grimble said sadly. “They hold the only true memories of the fortress.”

Which shouldn’t have been much of a problem of course, except that the damned grove didn’t work any more did it? But… Star Swirl would know, wouldn’t he? He had lived in the fortress for a time, and even if he didn’t know where this ‘central chamber’ was, there had to be a map somewhere… Somewhere like the bloody library! Or… Or somepony who had a library and an interest in old documents and had access to the library in the royal palace!

I slammed my hoof down on the table, “I will get you to your heart, Miss Pie. I promise you that.” I span round, my eyes glinting in the sunlight, “Grimble, find Able. I have a message that needs delivering to Ponyville.”

“By your command, my lord.”

He’d completely given up on calling me by my name hadn’t he? But that was the price of being the lord of the tribe I suppose; the abandonment of your self to become the leader, the one who guides those who follow. So much for the poor sod watchstallion standing out in the pissing rain trying to sneak a cigarette without being seen on a miserable night in Manehattan. The world had moved on, and somehow I’d been caught in its wake, tossed around like a leaf in a thunderstorm. For now at least there was a period of calm, and I intended to make the most of it. For once in my life I actually felt grounded too. I knew my place within the tribe, and my home was here. There were things to do and things I could look forward to as well, like watching Lumin and Horizon grow, spending time with my mares, my friends, and my people. It was time to make things happen. And happen they would.

“Tingles, do you have the pendant with you?” I asked.

The orange mare nodded and carefully lifted it up from under her blouse. “It might be stuck, I never take it off.” She gave an ironic laugh, “And now you’re back, this will be the first time.”

I lifted her hoof and kissed it softly, “Goddess bless you.” I gave her a quick nuzzle before lifting the pendant up to the light. “This was Arathea’s: Maroc’s wife.” The red stone span in the sunshine, glinting like tiny piece of solidified fire and sparkling as if alive with a heartbeat all of its own. “Miss Pie?”

The grey mare lifted it up as if it were no more than a simple rock in her hoof. She wasn’t being disrespectful, nor heartless, but to her it was simply that: an object. An interesting object, true, but it just didn’t hold the same emotional connection for her as it did to me, to Tingles, and to my ancestors. She examined it silently, her eyes focussing on something that none of us there could see. Whatever it was, this earth pony was using magic, of that I was sure. A sure sign was my horn itching, but it was quite different to the usual sensation, a little like being outside during a fine rain and yet being completely dry. It was certainly disconcerting, especially as earth ponies didn’t have magic. Did they?

“This is very old,” the grey mare stated in her monotone style. “I don’t know if the memory held within is still stable.”

“Is there a way to find out?” I asked.

She shook her head, “No. Once the memory has been opened it cannot be recovered.”

“A one way trip, eh?” I passed the pendant back to Tingles, “Thanks, love.” I just hoped this was going to worth it. If what I had planned worked, then it would doubtless pose questions that would have to be answered, not least of which was how the princess was going to take it. Not that it had anything to do with her of course, but it didn’t hurt to remain on good terms with the old gal. Besides, I don’t think a little extra living space would hurt.

Fairlight?” Shadow was staring out of the window, her eyes narrowed, “There is something coming this way.

I hurried up beside her and tried to see what it was she was looking at. It was bright outside today, the sunshine making it difficult to see much in the heat haze near the edge of the forest, but… oh, hell…

I grabbed my sword belt and burst out the door to where the guards were already standing at the ready. More warriors soon began to appear, hurrying from every corner of the village to form a crescent of steel and wariness that had me at its centre. In another life I probably would have been touched by their commitment and show of concern for me, but now… now it was simply a part of who and what I had become. I stood and waited, watching the dark figure approaching, their cloaking flaring out behind him as he walked. If ‘he’ was indeed a he. What I could definitely say for certain was that this wasn’t your normal visitor to Smiling Borders, and the mutterings and whispers from the assembled warriors told me that they too had noticed the unusual appearance of our unexpected guest. From the ear tufts and the glowing golden eyes, to the deep scarlet coat so dark it was nearly black, the bat pony walked with a confidence that was either foolish or self assured on a level that was as concerning as it was inspiring. Side leather belts criss-crossed the odd creature, displaying a selection of throwing daggers, a pair of curved short-swords, and a light crossbow.

Grimble pushed forward through the mass of warriors, putting himself between the pony and myself, “Stay where you are if you value your life, stranger,” he announced clearly. “State your name and your business.”

The bat pony halted and stared at the griffin with those disturbing eyes, “You are not the one.” She had a gruff voice, but one that was quite clearly female. “You...” She held a hoof up, pointing it right at me. “You have the mark upon you. It will come for you.”

Grimble quickly sidestepped to block the newcomers progress, his claw moving to his sword hilt that signalled a similar response from the other warriors, “Do not address our lord in such a manner!” he rumbled. “Take one more step and-”

“-Grimble,” I interrupted politely, “It’s alright, let her speak.” I walked alongside my avian friend and spoke clearly to the newcomer. “My name is Fairlight, Lord of the tribe of the Four Winds. To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?”

The bat pony bobbed her head, her mid-length mane glinting like moonlight over a mill pond. “I am Noctem, huntress of the Night Guard. The goddess in her wisdom has commanded me to help track a beast that escaped from Tartarus into the mortal realm.” She levelled her gaze right at me, “You have the mark of the netherworld.” Her hoof pointed to my cutie mark, “It will draw the beast to you.”

Gods almighty, so much for my five minutes of peace… “I think we need to talk inside,” I offered. Only… I glanced through the window at the three mares talking around the table. “On second thought,” I suggested, “I know a most excellent bakery nearby, and you look like you need something hot after your journey. Come, walk with me.” I waved the others away and headed off to the bakery with the mysterious newcomer in tow. “I have to say Noctem, I know very little about Tartarus, other than it’s the kind of place nopony in their right mind would want to go. And you say somepony escaped, and that they’re being drawn to me by my cutie mark?” I raised a quizzical eyebrow, “I’m not saying I doubt you, but I hope you can help give me a little more information as to what’s going on here.”

“I can,” Noctem replied levelly. “Your actions enabled one of the most dangerous prisoners we hold there to escape.”

“Wait.” I held up a hoof, “What do you mean ‘my actions’? I hope you’re not insinuating I had anything to do with allowing a prisoner to escape!”

The bat pony’s intense eyes never faltered, “Both you and the wizard used magic inside the prison which interfered with the protective spells containing the prisoners. Several escaped in the few seconds it took for the spells to realign, but it was long enough for them to get free. We caught all but one. The last of them used the master portal to escape.”

“The master portal can’t bring the dead back to life, Noctem,” I said coolly.

She nodded, “True, however not all prisoners in Tartarus are the souls of the deceased. Some are monsters, demons and the like, imprisoned aeons ago by the gods. Others, like the one who escaped, are more recent. And he was very much alive at the time of his incarceration.”

I felt a cold chill flush down my spine, “He? Who are we talking about, Noctem?”

The blood red mare paused, her eyes staring right into my soul, “We know him as Hemlock. An equestrian unicorn stallion sentenced by the goddess herself.”

I shook my head, “He’s not anypony I’ve ever heard of. What was he in Tartarus for?”

Noctem watched me carefully, as if doubting my every word and trying to see whether she could determine the truth of the matter for herself. “Murder,” she said quietly, “Infanticide, rape, torture...” The mare never batted an eyelid. “You do not want to hear the details, Lord Fairlight. All I am interested in is either capturing and returning the target alive or their permanent elimination.”

“Permanent elimination?” I asked in surprise. “You mean ‘kill’.”

“No.” Noctem shook her head solemnly, “If I am unable to take him into custody, my orders are to destroy not only his body but his soul. The herd will not accept one so corrupted, not even for reincarnation. Sometimes a taint can never be washed away.”

A shudder ran through my spine at her words. “You mean to say you would destroy even his soul? My goddess, is that possible?”

“Only by the use of a soul stone,” Noctem replied. “One attuned to a specific soul. They can only be constructed by the gods themselves.”

“And you have such a thing with you?” I asked. I didn’t like the thought of having something that dangerous in the village, especially with my family.

Noctem flicked her mane back as we reached the bakers, “Lord Fairlight, you need not be concerned. As I said, the soul stone will only work with one soul and one soul alone. And that one belongs to Hemlock.”

We sat outside on one of the benches, taking in the fresh air and the delicious aroma of freshly baked bread and cinnamon buns. One of the staff, a minotaur no less, lumbered out and stood staring down at us with her beady bully eyes.

“Tea?” I asked.

Noctem nodded, “Please. Black, no sugar or milk.”

“And two cinnamon buns, please,” I smiled at our waitress.

Silence. The great hulking creature turned and walked back inside the bakers.

I leaned conspiratorially across the table to Noctem, keeping my voice to a whisper, “I come here for the atmosphere.”

The bat-pony huffed slightly under her breath. Whether she understood my good natured quip or not was impossible to tell with such an impassive creature. Maybe she was related to Miss Pie in some way?

“The goddess speaks well of you, Lord Fairlight,” Noctem said suddenly. “She has instructed me to keep you and your children safe until the matter with the escapee is concluded.”

“I don’t think you need to concern yourself too much with that, Noctem,” I smiled. “We have more warriors in Smiling Borders than you can shake the proverbial at, and I can handle myself pretty well in a fight too you know.”

The corner of Noctem’s mouth curled up revealing short sharp teeth. “I don’t doubt it,” she intoned. “Stories of your deeds have reached the Night Guard, and I confess I was keen to meet the lord of the four winds in person.”

“You flatter me,” I smiled.

Noctem said nothing, but merely sat there, her ears constantly moving, listening for any sound or anything that may alert her to danger. I wasn’t sure whether she inspired confidence in me or worry, but she was quite an intriguing creature all the same, and one whom I personally found fascinating. To think Horizon would grow up to look just like her! Well, other than her colouring and maybe other more personal traits, but generally speaking she would. I think.

I gave myself a shake and pulled my mind back to the topic at hoof, “You said my cutie mark will attract Hemlock to me?”

Noctem bobbed her head in affirmation, “You bear the mark of the netherworld, and your spirit will act like a beacon to a creature with so black a soul as his. He will be drawn to you as surely as night follows day.”

“And my family?” I asked.

“They must be moved,” Noctem said levelly. “Have them taken somewhere safe, away from here until the threat has been removed.”

“Done,” I agreed. “And what of Hemlock’s whereabouts now?”

Noctem grimaced, shifting in her seat uncomfortably, “I lost him in the forest.”

“Wait...” The hairs stood up on the back of my neck, “Are you saying he came here through a portal?” Oh, dear gods, the fortress! Was there an operational portal there that-

Noctem held up her hoof forestalling me, “Not a functional one. The ruins of a portal remain in the Everfree which is where I first picked up his trail. Linking a portal to a damaged one can have unintended consequences, even death, but in any case it is a one way journey.”

“Not that he’ll be bothered about getting a return ticket to bloody Tartarus,” I snorted. “Gods almighty, he might be here already!”

Our tea and buns appeared, and just as quickly disappeared. Downing damned near scalding tea probably wasn’t the best idea, but it still hit the spot. As indeed did the delicious bun. I stood up and adjusted my sword belt, “Noctem, I want you to work with Grimble to secure the village. If that bastards out there I want him found and dealt with one way or another. Use whatever you need to get the job done, and if you encounter any problems you come and see me immediately, yes?”

“Yes, my lord.”

I picked up my pace as we trotted back to the tavern, “We’ll sort out a room for you, as well as food and a bath.” In short order I was storming through the front door of the Wyvern’s Tail to the surprised looks from the girls. “Pack your bags, you’re moving out within the hour. Grimble, I want a full guard on the village. Double it, no, triple it. I don’t want so much as a fly getting in here without us knowing about it, understood?”

Grimble snapped to attention, “Yes, my lord.”

“And this is Noctem. Noctem, Grimble.” I pulled off my cloak and tossed it over the back of one of the chairs, “You are to work with her and listen to her advice. She’s one of Luna’s Night Guard so she can be trusted.”

Grimble bowed formally, “It will be an honour to work with you, daughter of the goddess.”

Oh, for goodness sake! I began to shepherd Shadow and Tingles from the room.

“Fairlight? What in Equestria is going on? Why do you want us to pack?” Tingles slapped my hoof away as I prised her from her chair, “Will you stop that! What’s happening, you’re frightening me!”

I took a breath and closed my eyes, trying to keep myself calm, “There’s a pony out there who’s escaped from Tartarus and is likely to be coming here. Luna’s sent Noctem here to help capture him and send him back, but while you’re here you’re at risk. And as long as I have a hole in my arse, Tingles, I am not going to risk my family again because of one bloody nut case. So get upstairs, get your things, and meet me down here as quick as you can.”

“But where will we go?” she asked desperately. “How long will be away for?”

Noctem stepped up, “The Night Guard have a small holding outside Sandford we can take you to.”

“No.” I helped move the chairs out of the way to make room, “I want you to go to the fortress. Shadow knows the way and will be able to let you in. The magic of the fortress will protect you better than anything else around here. Besides,” I bit back what I was really thinking, “there’s a wizard there who can be of some bloody use for once. Unless he’s not buggered off already of course, but just in case, Grimble? I want a full detachment of troops to go with them. And make sure they taken unicorns with them too.”

“By your command, my lord.”

Noctem suddenly gasped and took a step back in alarm.

“What? What is it?” I gripped my sword in alarm, readying my magic.

“A foal!” Noctem squeaked. The bat-pony’s eyes went wide as she locked gazes with the small creature munching on a lolly, “How-?” She turned to me in amazement, “How is it possible that a daughter of the goddess is here?”

This was unexpected. I held out my hoof, introducing everypony properly, “Noctem, may I present to you the Lady Shadow of the tribe of the Beyond and our daughter, Horizon’s Dawn. Tingles, formerly of Equus and my son...” I looked about, “Where’s Lumin?”

Tingles stopped dead in her tracks, her eyes going wide. “Oh, no… He’s at the bakery. You sent him there to help Barrick as punishment for-”

I was already out the door and running, with Noctem hot on my heels. Fear for my son’s safety nipped viciously at the edges of my consciousness, but I didn’t have time for such foolish indulgences now. Fear could help enhance your senses, true, yet it could also lead you into making foolish choices based on emotion rather than reason, and choices that could ultimately endanger my son were not an option. My hooves thundered across the grass, tearing up the neatly mown grass. I couldn’t believe it; we’d been here, what, no more than ten minutes ago? We’d been sitting outside the damned place with a bun and a cup of tea which Lumin may very well have helped bake, and now this? I hurried round to the front door of the bakery, stopping just around the corner. Behind me, Noctem signalled she would go around the back. Damn… No PDW’s, no magical weaponry, no communications, no nothing. All I had at my disposal now was cold steel, my senses, and a good dose of gut instinct. It was old school at its best, but it would have to do. I took a deep breath, steadying my heart, taking in the scents and sounds around me as I unleashed the magic, letting it flow through me. The changes would enhance my ability to see, to hear ,and to sense anything out of the ordinary. So far however, all I was getting was an overpowering scent of bread, cinnamon, all spice, liquorice, and salt. Floating my sword out from its scabbard I peered inside. The door was open, a common practice the bakers had for allowing the smell of their wares to entice customers. Inside the little shop the quarry tiled floor was as clean and free from customers as could be. Odd on such a fresh morning, but then with the arrival of all the new visitors in a such a short period to distract the locals, I imagine that calling in to the bakery would be lower down their list of priorities. The tribe were nothing if not a curious breed, and wary too: a trait that right then I was damned grateful for.

Buns, bread and rolls of every description sat on the numerous shelves that lined the walls, many still hot from coming out of the oven. But of the staff, there was no sign. Were they in the back room perhaps? There were at least two staff working here so far as I knew, and one normally covered the front counter. A quick check revealed that the cash box was still there, and untouched. The ovens were lit too, with several fresh loaves baking away inside by the smell of them. Where the hell was everypony? I wanted to shout for Lumin, for him to come running into my forelegs, but if something was wrong, if that… that thing was here…

A crash of metal pans sent me ducking to one side, reeling round, readying a counter-attack… and froze. The bakery cat stared back at me in wide eyed feline surprise, her ginger paws covered in butter from her raid on the mixing bowl that was now lying on the floor. Gods almighty… My heart was thundering in my chest now, and yet there was still no sign of anypony here. I decided to move further into the shop. Racks of bread, more than enough to feed the population here several times over, sat in varying stages of readiness for sale. From flour to raw dough to proving bowls and the finished delicious article, evidence of a busy bakery was everywhere. All the windows were open, and the many hoof prints in the spilled flour showed where hooves had walked through it during the busy morning work. And there, amidst the mass of larger prints, were smaller ones, tiny in comparison to the others. There was no doubt who that was.

And I had sent him here.

Carefully, I moved further in. I wasn’t familiar with the layout of the bakery, especially since all the changes Tingles had brought about since my ‘departure’, but it wasn’t exactly hard to work out. There was a loft area by the looks of things, a store room, small kitchen, bathroom, and that was about it. Some casually discarded aprons and towels were dumped in a corner which wasn’t particularly hygienic, but other than that it was pleasantly clean. For all their reputation as gruff warriors, minotaurs were very clean creatures, just a touch lacking in the creativity department. But as with all races there were many exceptions to the rule. If there was one trait that they all appeared to carry however, it was a quickness of temper that lead them into dangerous situations that were completely avoidable. Used as shock troops by the Legion, there was little that could stand in the way of a full-on minotaur charge. What your best bet was when the huge muscular brutes were baring down on you, was to simply get out of the way and take them down from the flanks or rear. If you were quick enough that is. Even so they were formidable opponents, and ones that could soak up enormous amount of damage before going down. Heather was an interesting example too. She was typically quiet, especially around males, but incredibly diligent, hardy, and-

My forehoof stepped in something.

I back up, looking down at the pile of aprons and towels. And the leg poking out from under them. And the blood. My heart leaped into my throat as I carefully reached down and had a closer look. Dead lifeless eyes in a bullish face stared back at me, the same face that had served Noctem and I not even an hour ago. She’d been slashed with a knife across her throat, and from there, right down to her waist in neat, fine lines. I couldn’t do any more for her, not right now. Later, when I had Lumin home, we would take care of her and her family the way the tribe always did. Right now I had to concentrate of finding whether the killer was-

A sound. A grunt of pain… Lumin? My ears flicked forward, zeroing in on the source. A male? No, it was higher in pitch. Female then? Noctem – it had to be. I hurried around the corned into the store room, past the sacks of flour, past the barrels of salt and yeast, before coming to a halt by another door. My heart skipped a beat as a dark shape appeared out of the shadows a few feet away, blood oozing from a vicious wound under her foreleg.

Noctem winced in pain, “I was slow… Too damned slow.” She squeezed her eyes shut, “He’s running… running for the forest.”

I stuck my head out the door, “Surgeon! Get the bloody surgeon here NOW!” Warriors were coming in from all directions, but none were heading towards the forest. Hadn’t they seen him? I leaned down to the injured bat-pony, “How badly are you hurt?

“Bad enough,” Noctem hissed. “I think I’ll live.”

Did you see the boy? Lumin?

Noctem shook her head, “No. I was... checking the outside store when he dropped on me from the loft hatch.”

The loft…” I peered up into the darkness, “Hang on, Noctem, help’s coming.” I gave her hoof a reassuring pat and half jumped, half climbed into the loft, my magic flooding out to every crevice, every corner, searching… hunting… But there was nothing, not even a mouse up here. Everything was clean, with barely anything other than a few odds and ends the builders had left behind. There was no sign of Lumin. I felt sick to my stomach, my head spinning with the possibility that my son, my beloved Lumin, may be in the clutches of that sick bastard or… or maybe already… “No!” I hissed under my breath, “Damn it, I won’t believe it. I can’t believe it.

He was here. He was alive. I knew that, I just had to listen, carefully. If I quietened my heart, listened to the building, felt the eddies in the air, opened my senses to every single tiny detail… The heat from the oven… The creak of one of the beams as the timber reacted to the dry heat… A sniff… A whimper… My ears pricked up. It was coming from the corner, but… not up here. It was downstairs! I made for the ladder and dropped down, ignoring the surprised expressions of the warriors helping Noctem and the surgeon. There was nothing I could do for her that the medics couldn’t do, but there was something I could do for my son. I followed the sound, blocking everything else out, listening, following, and there… There! It was another store room, hidden from view by racks of still hot bread. The door was shut, locked from... the inside?

Lumin?

Silence.

I spoke close to the door, “Lumin, it’s daddy. Are you in there? Are you hurt?

There was a snuffle and the sound of shuffling. “Daddy?” The shuffling grew nearer. “I… I can’t get out. Mister Barrick’s in front of the door. He… He’s not moving.”

Relief flooded me from my nose to my tail with its heady liquor, and I swallowed, fighting down the equally heady mix of building anger for the monster that had done this. “Lumin? Move well away from the door, okay love? I’m going to break it down, so it’s going to be loud and I don’t want you to get hurt. Do you understand?

“Okay.”

There was more shuffling.

Are you clear?

“Uh-huh...”

Okay...” I Channelled my magic into a thin stream, aiming it at the door hinges, freezing them solid. And then I turned, checked behind me, and gave the door both barrels.

My hooves connected solidly with the door. Simultaneously there was a deafening crack and a loud splintering sound as the hinges gave way with part of the frame. The tortured door ripped free from its hinges, flying across the room where in landed with a heavy boom which echoed through the entire bakery. My heart leaped as the sudden fear that I may have injured Lumin in my desperation to reach him gripped me, only to be quickly dispelled by a faint snuffling from under one of the large shelves. Slowly, covered in tear stained flour, a small grey unicorn colt emerged, his bright yellow eyes looking up into mine.

“Daddy?”

My wings carried me inside where I scooped my son up into my embrace just as my knees buckled beneath me and I ended up in a floury, emotional mess on the floor. I can’t begin to describe how I felt at that moment. Relief, anger, joy… Every single emotion I could think of was thrown into the same pot, stirred, and then dumped back inside my heart to vent itself through that simple act of holding my boy. I kissed him on the forehead and began to rock back and forth, feeling his warmth against my coat and just enjoying that moment of life and happiness with him, right there in the store room.

Are you alright, love?” I asked softly. “Are you hurt anywhere?

Lumin shook his head, “No.” He held out his hoof, pointing to where the door had fell, just beyond where a large shape lay motionless. “I think Mister Barrick’s hurt, Daddy.” He looked up at me, a haze of childish confusion showing in his large eyes, “He wouldn’t let the bad pony in. He pushed me in here and…. and he...”

Shhh...” I rubbed Lumin’s mane and held him close, “It’s alright now, you’re safe. We’re going to get you home to mummy and Shadow and Horizon. Okay?

“Mmhmm… Okay.”

Oh gods, my poor boy. My poor, poor boy. Steadily I rose to my hooves and placed Lumin on my back. He was a little big for that now, but I didn’t care. I had to get him out of here, this place of death, and selfishly - for myself too. Carefully manoeuvring past the door and the still form of Barrick, I walked out into the sunshine and the mass of warriors. They parted silently before me, but one remained where he was: Heavy Hoof. The towering mass of fur covered muscle watched me emerge with my son and closed his eyes. It was only for a moment, but it was probably the nearest I’d ever seen to an emotional response from the enormous minotaur in all the time I’d known him.

“Barrick,” was all he said.

I shook my head, “I’m sorry.” I turned to the others, making sure I had their attention. “He fought off a monster from Tartarus single hoofed, unarmoured, and unarmed. Even grievously wounded he took my son into the store room where he blocked the door with his own body as his life left him.” I felt a shiver run through me, “This is the calibre of a true warrior. This is the quality of a warrior of the four winds. I honour him, as should you all.” I placed a hoof on Heavy Hoof’s elbow, “I have to get my son to safety, my friend. Then, I will come back and we shall send Barrick to his ancestors.

Heavy Hoof stayed as still as the mountain he reminded me of. “Who did this?” he rumbled.

I paused. “A murderer,” I said quietly. “A murderer who will pay for his crime, and one who will scream for mercy before I send him howling down into the depths of hell.” I began to walk away, the wind playing with my mane, “Nopony leaves the village. Nopony enters. Put the whole of the tribe on alert, Heavy. I want this bastard’s head nailed to a bucking board.

“We send warriors into forest?”

I shook my head, “No. You go in there and you’d never find him.” I gave my mane a shake and looked back at him over my shoulder, “I have other ways to find my prey.

Tingles met us at the door to the tavern, “Fairlight? Lumin!” She reached down over and whisked him up in her forelegs, “You’re covered in flour!” And in typical motherly fashion began rubbing at the poor buggers face with a hankie. “What’s going on, Fairlight? Why’s everypony running around carrying weapons?” Behind her Shadow was carrying a suitcase down the stairs with Horizon flapping over her head like some huge black bat. “Fairlight, are you listening to me?”

I let go of the magic and rolled my shoulders to try and remove some of the tension. I hadn’t been this wound up in quite a while. Funny what family do to you, isn’t it? “Are you packed?” I asked.

“I- Uh, yes.” Tingles’ gaze flicked to the suitcase, “We’re all ready.” She leaned forward, her voice low, “Tell me.”

I closed my eyes, the images of the dead minotaurs still fresh in my minds eye. “Barrick and the serving girl at the bakery,” I said quietly. “They’re gone.”

Tingles closed her eyes, “Dear Celestia...”

I put a hoof around her neck and gave her a gentle squeeze, “I’ll have the wagons brought round to the front. There’ll be a full escort for you there. Our boy’s a unicorn, so unless he can sprout wins you should be perfectly safe, but I’m not taking any chances.” I looked around, “Where’s Miss Pie?”

“Here,” the monotone voice said from behind me.

I nearly shot out of my skin. Gods above, she would make one hell of an assassin! “Are you all set, Miss Pie?”

Those half lidded eyes watched me for a moment, before… “Yes.”

Well, at least she was consistent. I flopped into a chair and leaned back, staring up at the ceiling. What a bloody nightmare. I’d woken up this morning thinking it was going to be a nice, slow day too. I was going to go over some plans, have a bath, spend more time getting reacquainted with the tribe, and have a good few hours playing with the youngsters. Instead, five minutes after I’d come back to the land of the living some scum bag was threatening my life, nearly murdered my son, butchered two of my people, and had vanished into the forest.

I sat up hurriedly, “Where’s Noctem?” I looked around, “Has anypony seen her?”

Grimble opened the door at the perfect moment, “She’s in the infirmary, my lord. The surgeon said she’ll recover but will need at least a few days of bed rest.” He bobbed his head towards the door, “We’ve loaded chariots and carts with food and supplies to last a week. I’ve assigned a detachment of your personal guard to go with your family.”

Tingles pulled back her tunic, revealing something I hadn’t seen for a while. “I’m ready, and Shadow has one too.”

“Does she know how to use one of those things?” I asked, looking at the pistol. “She’s more of a close in and personal type.”

“She knows,” Tingles smiled grimly. “We’re more than a match for many a stallion, mister wendigo.” She gave me a nudge, “Come on, get your arse out of the way while we get the little ones loaded.”

“I’ll be along as soon as I can,” I replied, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. “I have a few things to deal with here first.”

Tingles shook her head with that resigned look she always seemed to pull off so effortlessly, “You’re going after him, aren’t you.”

I nodded, “Of course. I don’t have a choice now anyway.” I shifted my sword belt and brushed my mane out of my eyes. “Any threat to my family has to be eliminated, love. For all our sakes.”

The black, sleek form of Shadow walked up and nudged me gently, “Be swift.

“I will,” I assured her.

She reached back and pulled something off her back, pushing it into my hooves, “This will protect you.

My eyes took in the long gnarled wooden shaft, the familiar chips and scars. The steel, honed and polished, was no otherworldly magic infused weapon, but just as lethal in the right hooves. I couldn’t help but smile despite everything that had happened. It was like being reacquainted with an old friend I hadn’t seen it in an age. It was crude, yes, and had been made in the forges of the village smithy. It was... perfect. Carefully I took it from her and gave her a nip on the ear.

“Thank you,” I smiled.

Hugs, kisses, and cuddles for the young ones came next. Their faces looked trustingly into mine as the wagon picked up speed along the ground before pulling up into the air and banking away over the tree tops. A chill wind tugged at my heart that day. My home, our home, should be one that everypony should not only feel safe to dwell in, but also be a safe haven from the darkness of the world. There were no monster raids here, no wolves, no changelings, and yet this… this thing had come here all the same. Noctem had been right, my connection to the nether world had attracted it like a bear to honey. The spirit of the wendigo was an entity of the world between the worlds, the place that lies between the mortal realm, the Eternal Herd, and the Wither World. Drawn by darkness, the spirits occasionally slipped into the Withers, where one latched itself onto me and eventually became part of me. My forefathers actively attracted them, using them to gain the powers that they held so dear. They were the powers that made them what they were, and also… who I was.

A light wind tousled my mane as I watched the tiny dots on the horizon vanish across the forest on their way to a relic that would keep them safe whilst I did what had to be done here. There was a job to do, and another still that I’d unwittingly started and yet never finished. I suppose part of me had hoped that I could have forgiven those monsters for what they’d done to Meadow, Sparrow and I. I’d even hoped that I could have moved on, leaving the past behind me as I looked forward to a future with my mares, my children, and the tribe. But deep down, far into the blackest corners of my soul, I’d always known – it would never be over. So long as those beasts who’d targeted my family still walked this plane, they who had unleashed the nightmare upon my loved ones, I would never truly be able to rest. However veiled the threat, no matter how well hidden, it was still there. Waiting.

I let out a sigh and turned back to the tavern, “Coming?”

The female voice was a little strained, but that deeper strength I’d detected within her the moment I’d lay eyes on her was as clear as a school bell on a frosty morning. “Aye.” Noctem followed me into the tavern, closing the door behind us. “What now?”

“Now?” I pulled up a chair and dumped my sword on the table. “Now it’s time for a cup of tea, some hot food, and I have a call to make.”

Noctem and I sat and ate whilst Heather packed food for our journey. I had eaten well, and Grimble had ensured I would be able to satiate that other side of my hunger just as well. Flasks of berries, a hip flask of his brandy, and some tasty treats from the kitchen sat neatly packed in panniers beside a set of lightweight barding, various weapons, and a fully charged PDW.

Noctem took another bite of the chicken leg, watching me as if I was about to sprout another head or something. “If you have questions,” I asked, “now’s the time. When we’re on our way I won’t be able to stop to chat.”

The curious bat pony licked an errant drop of gravy from her top lip displaying her array of short, sharp teeth. “Shadow,” she said plainly, “she is a thestral, is she not?”

“I expect you already know the answer, since Luna sent you,” I reasoned. “Why? Does she concern you?”

Noctem smiled, “No.” She pointed her chicken leg at me, “And yes, the goddess did warn me to expect surprises when I arrived.” The grey-blue creature took a healthy swig of her ale, “I suspect you already know how our people came to be. Something that few, if any of your folk, know.”

“That bat ponies are the offspring of a pony and a thestral?” I asked. “I do now. Horizon is all the proof you need.”

“She is...” Noctem seemed to be searching for the word, “Pure? I’m not sure how to explain.” She sighed, “Our race came about from the coupling of a thestral and equestrian, from love that bloomed amidst the darkness and suffering of war. There were not many of us at first, but now there are more.”

“That’s a pretty shallow gene pool you’ve got there,” I observed. “How do you manage to avoid genetic problems from inbreeding?”

Noctem smiled, “The same way wendigo do. Careful observation of parental and ancestral records. Selective matings. Magic and potions help maintain and promote our numbers. It is all in the light of the goddess’s moon.”

Goddesses! Selective breeding? I’d come across arranged marriages before, but this sounded a lot more sinister by far. “And you’re fine with this?” I asked, watching her reaction carefully. “Your people choose your mate for you, and you have a foal? Just like that?”

Noctem nodded, “Some more personal matings are allowed, but we cannot afford to risk genetic abnormalities in our children. Such things would be cruel and against the wishes of the goddess.”

Good old Luna, eh? Well, I sure as hell wasn’t one to talk. Wendigo were definitely a little lacking in the old gene pool department themselves, and for all I knew I could have been a hairs breadth from plucking a banjo on some porch down in the boonies myself. Fortunately for me, dad had been a regular old pony and I was the happy result of their coupling: the ‘half breed dog’ as Vela so eloquently put it. I took a swig of my beer and wiped the foam away. Little twat, I thought bitterly. What a nice comparison, eh? May as well call me a mongrel and give me a sodding flea collar while we’re at it.

“You sure you’re fit to fly?” I asked Noctem. “The doc said you needed a weeks rest.”

She shook her head and grinned, “No need. We heal quickly, and I also have a secret...” Noctem reached into her pack and pulled out a small vial of-

“Life energy!” I recognised the vial of silver liquid immediately. “Dear gods, you can take that?!”

Noctem shrugged, “Only a little. Larger doses can be fatal, but the goddess gifts us with the essence of her own life to protect us when the need is great.”

Essence of Luna, now in a bottle. Just a few dabs behind the ears and you could take down a raging elephant at two hundred yards. I chuckled, leaning back in my chair. “Fair enough,” I smiled. “Fair enough.” I went to get up and paused, “Oh, and Noctem?”

“Yes?”

“Don’t be getting ideas about Horizon joining your merry crew.” I rolled my shoulders and brushed a crumb off my chest, “She’s one of my tribe, not yours.”

Noctem nodded, her eyes never leaving me, “That will not always be your decision to make, Lord Fairlight.”

“True,” I agreed pleasantly, “but that will be her decision to make, when she is old enough to do so.”

Noctem nodded, a sly smile crossing her face, “Of course.”

“Good!” I smiled, “I’m glad we understand one another.” A faint buzzing from the brass device on the table caught my attention and I tapped the glowing gem on its top. “Go ahead...”

“Fairlight?” The communication device crackled into life, “Mitre here. Brandy told me you were back in town. Good to have you back, boy.”

“Always a pleasure to be back, Chief,” I replied. “Are we free to speak?”

“We’re on an encrypted channel.” Mitre’s voice sounded as strong as I remembered. “We’ve got some information on your boy. I cross referenced the name you gave us along with the physical description against Watch and CBI databases. Not many ‘Hemlocks’ knocking about Equestria that have crossed our decks, but we checked out the ones we had. And only one had been logged as ‘missing’ from about thirty years ago. Seems our boy lived in Doric, one of the more exclusive areas outside of Manehattan.”

“I know it, Chief,” I replied. I didn’t like where this was leading.

“You should,” Mitre huffed. “It’s where our old friend the commissioner lives.” I could feel my hooves digging into the table top as he continued. “The commissioner had two boys: Alabaster and Hemlock. They were both still in junior school when Alabaster was found dead in the family home at the bottom of the lobby stairs with a broken neck. The investigation concluded it to be an accident brought about by childish rough-housing between the two brothers.”

“But you don’t accept that, right?” I prompted.

“I didn’t at the time,” Mitre confirmed for me. “There were too many bruises on that colt. Old bruises that were inconsistent with injuries sustained during a fall. It suggested that Alabaster was no stranger to ‘accidents’ around the home, but whether they could be attributed to Hemlock or his parents using him as a punching bag, we’ll probably never know for sure. But there is one thing that I do know for sure, Fairlight...”

I cleared my throat, “Yes?”

I heard an intake of breath, Mitre’s voice coming across distant and strained, “Hemlock was a suspect in the Cannoli case.”

Oh gods, no. My guts felt like they were tied up in knots, sweat breaking out on my brow as the terrible realisation began to dawn on me. “That’s our connection.”

“Hemlock had an alibi for the night in question,” Mitre continued in a sombre tone. “Apparently he was at home all night with his mother having dinner and playing cards.”

“Was it ever followed up?” I asked.

Mitre laughed bitterly, “What do you think?”

“I think...” I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth, “I think I know where to find him.”

“Brandy and I will arrange surveillance, Fairlight.” Mitre paused, “You know we can’t act directly.”

I snorted, “Yeah, I know.” I clamped my hoof over my scythe, my breathing shallow and hard. “I’ll deal with him my way, Chief. And if anypony else interferes?”

“Orders have already come from the top. You have carte blanche on this one, boy.” Mitre’s voice was as gentle as the kiss of steel against a naked throat, “Do what you have to do.”

“I always do, my friend.” I stood up and stared out of the window at the green grass, the sway of the trees in the breeze and the soft sunlight of my home. “I always do.”

“Keep me posted. Mitre out.”

And that was that. Nice, simple, and about as clean as a bucket of dog turds. Damn… Mitre didn’t have to say any more, we both knew the commissioner was up to her miserable neck in it. Bad apples never fall far from the tree they say. The sad fact of the matter was that the palace knew she was as guilty as sin for her part in the invasion too, but she always had an alibi and a ready excuse for everything she did. And anyway, who would believe the word of some tattered ex-watchstallion? And one who had been arrested for ‘crimes against the state’ or whatever the hell it was. Oh, and let’s not forget the fact I was a wendigo too. Gods, the lawyers would have bloody field day if it ever went to court. We all knew what would happen: the commissioner would walk free, and the palace would end up with egg on their faces as sure as a minotaur’s got horns on his bonce.

I leaned back in my chair and sighed. “The world’s gone mad,” I muttered, “and I’m along for the bloody ride.”

“We will need to move soon if I am to follow his trail.” Noctem shifted in her seat and nodded towards the window, “We will be losing the daylight in a few hours.”

“You go on if you want,” I said plainly. “I have something I have to do first.”

“What’s that?” she asked.

“I have to say goodbye to member of my tribe. And that,” I said standing up, “comes before chasing down killers.”

Noctem stood up and pushed her chair back as she leaned towards me, her eyes sparkling with intent, “You know where he is going. This ‘Doric’, yes?”

“I believe so,” I replied. “Turds have a habit of floating to the top.” I headed for the door. “Eventually though, they always end up sinking back down to join the rest of the shit.”

“You have a way with words,” Noctem observed drily.

I shrugged. Who was I to argue? And who gave a damn anyway? Most ponies only truly cared about themselves deep down, and the ones who came across as indifferent, cold, vicious, or just plain old self serving were at least being honest. You could trust a pony who was like that, and you’d never have to worry about them shafting you. Why? Because they’d already realised what they were and had simply given up on trying to convince anypony otherwise. You knew where you stood. You knew that they would do they best to trample on you and make your life a steaming pile of garbage, and it wouldn’t come as a surprise. What you had to be careful of were the ones who covered up their hateful and spiteful nature with a good mannered smile and a ‘good morning!’ when all they truly had in their dark rotten little heart was a quagmire of festering malice.

But not all. Most, yes. But not all.

I had to believe that somewhere out there in the unfeeling emptiness of the world were those who still put others first, that there was still something good, something pure, that was worth fighting to protect and to nurture - to give without expecting anything in return, to help others because it was noble, and the right thing to do. They were the things that made a pony, a minotaur, a hippogriff, griffin, or whatever race the individual belonged to, who they were. Call it honour. Call it duty. Call it whatever you will. To me it was a nobility of spirit, of honesty and decency. It was heart, true heart, and a quality which made a community far more than a mere assemblage of individuals. It made it… home. Here, in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the forest where nopony goes, with the wooden pyre and the still form of Barrick the humble baker, I knew that each and every one of these warriors, these mothers, fathers, sons and daughters… I would give my life to defend each and every one of them. Would they do the same for me? I knew the answer already. Some would question it of course. There would be those like Zander Pinfeather who cared only about themselves. But here they were in the minority. And that would be for the betterment of all. Weeds needed to be kept down so that the flowers could grow.

“To the fire of rebirth we commend the soul of our brother.”

Time didn’t seem to mean much now. Not really. A few hours, a few days, weeks, months… what did it matter? Be it in the Eternal Herd, the Withers, or here in the mortal realm, we all died and moved on sooner or later. In fact being alive, by comparison to the herd anyway, was almost like some sort of cruel and unusual punishment, and no more than a meaningless prelude to the eternity of peace that awaited you. Unless your name was Fairlight of course. But I suppose the gods had to get their kicks somehow.

“In the certain knowledge of peace and love in the eternal embrace of the goddess of the moon.”

Ponies used to tell me that it wasn’t how successful you were in life that mattered, it was whether you’d lead a good life that really counted. I wasn’t so sure now. From the moment you’re born, society demands you push yourself to strive, to build, to create that little empire of your own and amass as much as you can to put your stamp on the world and cry ‘look how much I’ve got!’ There was certainly no shortage of show-offs, braggarts, and ponies with their muzzles stuck up their own backsides in Equestria who did just that. You’d never hear the treasury complaining.

“Until the day our brother returns to us anew, we will remember him. Always.”

Always.

Everywhere I’ve lived there was always somepony who had more than you and for some reason felt compelled to ram it in your damned face every chance they had, making a point of showing you just how much they had, and by extension, how little you had. Be it a new chariot, a new house, a new radio, pool, it didn’t matter. The fact that they made more money, had more toys, a new marefriend, or whatever the hell it was, didn’t matter so long as they could display it like some oversexed peacock. I suppose on some level it did have some advantages, for example when somepony painted their house it created a ripple effect of other houses being painted in the same street. After all, nopony wanted to have the one house that looked like the owners didn’t care, right? Thus, the area was usually neatly presented and clean. So long as you didn’t delve under the surface too far.

“Walk forever in the light of the moon.”

In the light of the moon.

Why ponies couldn’t just leave others alone to lead their lives the way they wanted was something I never had, and never would, understand. Maybe in part due to our herding nature, I don’t know for sure, but there was this strange drive, some sort of helpless impulse or desire that many had inside themselves that took hold whenever they saw somepony they believed they could influence. This manifested itself in many ways, from active interference to just plain old nosiness. It was the ancient art of the ‘unprincipled principle’ as somepony once told me. It could apply to almost any possession, experience or situation, so long as the pony doing it derived the maximum undeserved reward from their interference. If they could also discomfort the opposition as well, then so much the better. The all time classic was well meaning relationship ‘advice’ from friends, and the sheer devastation that could cause. Naturally the ‘advice giver’ could simply walk away leaving the disaster of shattered dreams and heartache behind because, after all, they’d known something like this was ‘going to happen anyway’, right? Gods, I couldn’t stand ponies sometimes. And that was precisely why I had to protect the ones I loved with every fibre of my being. I had failed with Meadow, and I would carry those scars with me for eternity no matter what I did. But I wouldn’t fail with Shadow and Tingles. I wouldn’t fail my children.

The smell of burned flesh, wood and hair was something nopony should ever have to endure. But endure it I did. We all did. On Heavy Hoof’s insistence, Noctem joined us to say goodbye to Barrick and his daughter, Lillith. Gods, I’d never even known her name, and to my shame I’d never realised Barrick and Heavy were… brothers. Heavy hadn’t said much, but when you had eyes that could stare into the back of your skull the way his could, you didn’t need to. I knew what he wanted, and I knew what the tribe wanted. This was something that could never be atoned for, and would be dealt with by the law of the tribe. I knew where Hemlock was going, and I would be damned if I let him get away with what he had done here. This was my home, my people, and I would be the hammer of their vengeance upon the head of any who would do us harm.

“You’re all set?” I asked.

Noctem nodded sagely, “I am. You’re certain you wish to come with me? My night vision will enhance my ability to track him, but...” She raised an eyebrow.

“You needn’t worry about me,” I said coldly, pulling on the last of the packs over my barding. “I’ll cope.” I turned my blue eyed gaze on her and gave her a grim smile, “Time to go to work.”