• Published 17th Dec 2018
  • 979 Views, 20 Comments

Friendship is Failure #14: A Hearths Warming Carol - DakariKingMykan



Twilight Sparkle is haunted by three ghosts

  • ...
58
 20
 979

Closing Act: Fixed Fixings

CLOSING ACT

Twilight got up off the floor, and realized it was morning.

“I’m back!”

She looked around her room and realized the castle was still intact and not a broken down monument. “It’s all still here!” Twilight cried for joy, and then she heard a knock at the door,

“Twily…” Shining Armor called, and he came in along with the rest of her family, “Are you okay?” asked Cadance.

Rather than being overjoyed to see the others, Twilight hastily asked, “What day is it?”

“What?” asked Starlight in confusion?

“What… Day… is it?”

Her brother blinked once, “It’s Hearths Warming day.”

Twilight’s head jerked up, and she checked her calendar on the wall. “It IS…!” she cried “The spirits did it all in just one night!”

Her relatives were all really confused.

“Spirits?” asked Velvet “What spirits? I think you were just dreaming.”

“I’ll say she was; shouting the place down.” muttered Night Light.

Although Twilight herself wasn’t really sure if the whole thing really was a dream or not, she was more than willing to take when she had learned seriously.

She hastily got on her winter garbs, “I hope I’m not too late!”

“Wait, where are you going?” called Cadance, but Twilight was too much in a hurry to answer, and leapt out the window to fly into town, only to stop immediately when she saw her friends were all waiting at the door to the castle.

“Hey!” Twilight called as she soared down, and she suddenly stopped when she noticed how weary and baggy-eyed everyone looked, even Spike was exhausted. “What happened to all of you?”

“Don’t you remember?” yawned Starlight “We stayed up all night helping to clean up the destruction, and we also worked hard to help compensate for the gifts that were lost.”

Twilight noticed that Rarity was wearing a simple necklace, hand-made as was given by the simple string, and recovered ornament from the tree that hadn’t been destroyed.

“I know it’s not as nice as the necklace I wanted to give you.” Spike said to Rarity, but she adored it anyway, and gave him a large smooch on the cheek, “Spike, how could I not be grateful? You did so much to get me that fist gift.”

Spike blushed, but then he yawned as he was still exhausted.

“That’s not all,” said Rainbow, “We found this…” she held up a burnt out cigar that was found by the site where the tree had burned, and the cigar had the logo of the Ponyville bank on it.

Twilight suddenly remembered, “Miser Stash! We’ve got to get him out of jail!”

She was about to run off when Applejack stopped her, “Twilight… he ain’t there.”

Twilight turned to face her friends, and Starlight explained that they discovered the cigar many hours ago while it was still night, when Twilight was at home and deeply asleep. They didn’t wish to awaken her.

“As soon as we found out this, we knew Miser Stash was innocent,” said Starlight “And so we went and got him out of jail immediately.”

“That’s wonderful!” cried Twilight, but she noticed that everyone still seemed a bit down.

“Twilight,” Fluttershy said “…He was very angry and upset.”


In a flashback, Miser was indeed very upset.

He clutched his broken glasses-- the result of a snowball being hurled at him, exactly like in Twilight’s dream.

“So, um…” Pinkie Pie said trying to be friendly with him, “No hard feelings?”

Naturally, Miser was furious, and slammed the remains of his glasses on the floor. He could still see enough to walk on his own without them, but that didn’t change what he did next…

…he angrily passed the Deed of his bank to Starlight, “It’s yours now!”

The gang was all shocked, and Miser had declared, “This is not the first time Hearths Warming has wrecked my life!

But it is the last time! THE, VERY, LAST TIME!!”

The ponies didn’t understand what he meant by “wrecking his life” but Fluttershy tried to console Miser. “We know you didn’t start that fire. We’re all very sorry, and we want to make it up to you!”

Miser was ultimately unmoved. “You think you can just blame a pony for a crime he didn’t commit, horribly humiliate him across the kingdom, and expect one little apology will instantly heal such scars and make everything alright?”

The gang knew he had a point there, and Miser’s decision was final; he was going to leave Equestria-- go beyond the borders of the country, and settle down some place new where there was no Hearths Warming.

“Goodbye… Good luck… and HUMBUG TO YOU ALL!!”

Then he was gone. He left town immediately on the first train he could catch, vowing to send back for his belongings.



Twilight almost couldn’t believe it. “He left just like that?!”

Starlight nodded, and showed Twilight the deed to the bank, “It’s ours now.”

Twilight felt very upset. Her tears were showing, “…Because of me; it’s all my fault! I was the one who wired that tree improperly.”

“Yeah… we… kinda discovered that too.” said Rainbow, implying that the gang and those who still helped cleaned up discovered the fire was electrical due to an overload.

Now Twilight felt worried; worried that every pony in town would be out to hate her, and banish her just like in her dream.

However, Starlight assured her “It’ll be okay, Twilight. At least we have a chance to make things right for every pony else.” and she motioned at the deed she had to the bank, meaning they could start a big donation charity, and really give back for all the trouble that happened…

Plus, Miser’s employers would need a boss since he was gone.

Twilight felt there was no alternative and snapped herself upright. “It’s Hearths Warming day, and I learned a lot.” she declared proudly “I’ve made my mistakes, and while I can’t fix all of them, I can do what I can to make things right!”

The others were a little confused from her sudden determination, but despite their weariness from working hard all night, they all agreed to help as best they could.


So, even though it was Hearth’s Warming, a time to be with family, Twilight felt that the current issues were more important. So she and Starlight reopened the bank, announcing to everyone in Ponyville that they planned to compensate for the losses and damage.

Small loans were carried out, and charity donations were given to help feed the poor and the sickly.

All day long Twilight and her friends spent helping others to make up for what had happened, and by sundown, pretty much everything was all fixes. Ponies could afford to buy gifts again, the poor and sickly were being tended too…

Of course, the loans would have to be paid back by the following year; as Twilight and Starlight had to run the bank professionally, and it would take time to juggle it all into their already extremely busy schedules, but for now, Twilight was just happy things didn’t go as badly as she dreamed.

-Miser was alive-- angry, gone, but alive.

-She herself was not hated and banished from Equestria.

-All the damages were fixed up as best as could be.

…It was all fine.

Eventually, her family joined her from the castle, having spent the day making a delightful Hearths Warming dinner for everyone. “You didn’t think you’d get out of spending Hearths Warming with your family that easily.” said Night Light.

“Dad!” Twilight chuckled.

The family all sate down to eat, but Starlight and the others, they were way out cold-- all fast asleep on the chairs and sofas in the waiting lobby, from being wide awake for twenty-four straight hours working!

“Poor things.” said Cadance “We better leave them some food.”

Shining Armor agreed. “Meantime, more food for us…”

As the family sat down to eat, Twilight remained silent for a moment, silently praying in her mind, “I know I wronged you, Miser Stash, and believe me… I really hoped I could make it up to you.

Wherever you are, I’m sorry… and, I know you wouldn’t like me saying this to you, but…

…Happy Hearths Warming, wherever you are.”

“Twily, you okay?” asked Shining Armor.

Twilight just nodded, and settled down to her dinner on that Hearths Warming night.

Author's Note:

I know my haters and mockers won't/refuse, but I hope YOU learned something from this fic, the very lessons Twilight learned reflect reality.

Christmas may be fun and joyful for many, but that doesn't mean everyone IS happy. (I'm not happy because it's been a horrible year for me and my family... part of it involved THREE deaths in the family, one that happened just on December 18)

I'm not saying people HAVE to be miserable, I'm just saying think of others, and how hard some have had it or are having it.

Until next time, and this is dedicated to Twilight and the ponies (in spite)

Comments ( 12 )
MANX #1 · Dec 23rd, 2018 · · 10 ·

This story reminds me of the Muslim who changed the oil in my car wishing me a Merry Christmas, instead of a 'happy holiday' like all the other politically 'correct' sheeple have been doing all week. The 'holyday' didn't seem to bother him much. He even offered me a bowl of candy canes.

The moral of the story would be...to each their own. Don't tell me I have to like something and I won't have tell you to eff off! :)

9362937

Glad to see someone finally gets the message... thanks

Little late commenting this story ending.

I liked it, it a sad bitter ending but...that is life, not everything goes well, and the worst things can happen on the suppose happiest days.
I'm sad for that poor pony, and he had every right to be angry if not furious, all in the end they can hope for is maybe just maybe be find his peace.

9488412

My haters keep whining that Miser should've been visited by the spirits...

Nuh-uhn... it was Twilight who did wrong did this time, and SHE who needed to learn. Miser didn't do anything really wrong anyway.

But I guess some people need to be visited by ghosts themselves (Like the haters)

9488416
Well haters are haters. They love to hate.

i know its probably sappy, but i would've added one more thing to the story. an epilogue where twilight receives a letter from miser years later saying "you are forgiven"

10906450

But like I told you before, I don't really believe in forgiveness... and I'm glad to see the guilt eat Twilight alive.

10906620
alright, then

The plot just resolved itself. Nobody will learn anything. What should Twilight change about herself? Being a self-centered jackass who only cares about circumstances directly affecting herself?

11667116

She's Twilight Sparkle, and she's only good for one thing...

...Target Practice

11667131
You constantly show the idea of Twilight being tortured over and over again and portray it as well deserved even though it's really not. That's why Twilight is sympathetic while your self-inserts are unsympathetic.

11667161

I'm not looking for Sympathy, and even if I was... I don't see it in Twilight, nor do I want it from her.

Login or register to comment