• Published 5th Feb 2019
  • 3,583 Views, 86 Comments

Keeper of the Forest - ShowShine



Legend has it that one day someone will protect the Everfree forest and every creature in it

  • ...
3
 86
 3,583

Trapped inside

Spike paced around the room, waiting for a response from Twilight. He had sent a letter to her, telling her what happened. Buddy laid on the floor, staring at Spike with a tilted head. Spike let out a burp and a letter fell on the floor. Buddy sniffed the letter curiously. It smelled like books and stress. He picked up the letter and started to read.

”Dear Spike, I’m glad you’re safe. Stay put until the storm passes over. There’s some food in the kitchen that should last you for the rest of the week.
Stay safe, Sincerly Twilight Sparkle.” Spike read to himself. He chuckled to himself. Twilight still wrote her full name even when she was writing to her friends.

“I guess we’ll have to stay here for a while.” Spike said to Buddy. He stood up and his tail started to wag. Spike looked around. There wasn’t much to do here.

“How about we test your saddle?” Spike suggested. Buddy’s tail wagged and he bounced excitedly. Spike smiled. He tried to climb onto Buddy’s back, but failed when he kept moving.

“Stay still.” Spike said. He successfully pulled his body onto the saddle and held onto the horn of the saddle. He slipped his feet through the stirrups on both sides.

“Let’s take this nice and slow.” Spike stated. Buddy crouched down excitedly and sprang into action. He ran down the hallway at full speed, his tongue hanging out. Spike let out loud screams of fear. He gripped onto the saddle, hanging on for his life.

“SLOW DOWN!” Spike exclaimed in fear. Buddy ignored his cries. He made a sharp turn down the hallway, knocking over a table. He hopped into the air and let his claws scrape against the wall, making another sharp turn. He ran up a flight of stairs. Buddy continued to run forward, approaching a dead end.

“BUDDY TURN AROUND WE’RE GONNA CRASH!” Spike shouted urgently. Buddy ignored his shouting and sped up. He jumped up and ran into the wall. The wall flipped around, causing them to enter a room. Buddy stopped running and let Spike slide off of his back. He let out shaky breaths.

“I said ‘nice and slow’! That wasn’t NICE AND SLOW!” Spike exclaimed in anger. Buddy rolled his eyes and turned him around. He let out a small gasp at what he saw. They were in a giant library that was bigger than the library upstairs. It was very clean, which was odd because none of his friends had been in here. They would have surely marveled about the size and the cleanliness. Spike could see his reflection off of the wooden floor. The walls were a dark purple. There was a desk pressed against the wall with a small green lamp on it. A grey chair with wheels sat in front of it. There was a small window above the desk, where he could see the storm worsen.

“Woah, this place is so cool.” Spike gawked, looking at the dozens of bookshelves towering over him. Buddy nudged his back, causing him to turn around. In his mouth, there was a red book. He took the book out of his mouth. It had no title, only a picture of a golden flower. He opened the book to see it was a potion book. It was different though. He had never heard of most of these potions. ‘Gift of Life’ and ‘Protection Bubble.’ All of the potions contained some type of plant.

“Where did you get this book?” Spike asked. Buddy walked over to a spot and pawed at the shiny tile. It was odd for a book to just be laying there in such a clean place. Spike noticed that the tile was sticking out of the ground slightly. He pulled it up and dust flew out, causing him and Buddy to cough. Spike looked under the tile to see a small storage space. It was like a tiny cabinet filled with empty potion bottles and other potion making things. He pulled them out and inspected them closely. For something to be covered in dust for so long, it was surprisingly clean. At the bottom of the hole, he spotted something shiny.

“What’s this?” Spike asked, pulling out the fabric. He held a dark green cloak with deep pockets in each side. It had a small pocket on the chest. There was a small golden button on the collar that had the letters ‘FK’ carved into it. It didn’t have any dust, rips, or tears in it, it was looked like it was brand new. Oddly enough, it was a perfect size for Spike. He slipped the cloak on. The sleeves went down to his wrist and the cloak only showed his feet. His wings popped out of two small holes in the back. He buttoned it and turned to Buddy.

“How do I look?” He asked. Buddy wagged his tail and let out a bark of approval. All the way at the bottom of the hole, there was a small purple box. He pulled it out and opened it. Inside, there was a pair of dark green gloves, shoes with black stone at the soles, and a white mask. They could all fit Spike.

“This is getting weird.” Spike said uncomfortably. Buddy’s ears perked up and he turned towards the entrance, letting out a whimper.

“What is it?” Spike asked. Buddy picked Spike up by the back of his neck and tossed him onto the saddle. He ran out of the room in an urgent pace. Whatever was going on it had to be bad.


They entered the room to see Debbie huddled on to the bed, shaking. She looked pale and sickly. She let out weak chirps, causing Spikes eyes to widen. He rushed over to her side.

“You must have gotten sick from the rain.” Spike commented. Debbie leaned into his side, letting her eyes droop shut. Since she was only a day old, her immune system wasn’t fully developed. Spike thought about what he could do. He couldn’t use any medicine they had in the castle, is wasn’t meant for birds and would make her worse.

“Let’s see if there are any books on medicine in the library that we found.” Spike stated. He wrapped Debbie in some blankets and picked her up. There was no way he could leave her alone in the room by herself.


Spike sat at a desk with his head in his hands. He had gone through half of the books and hadn’t found one on medicine. To make it worse, he could feel himself getting sick from being in the rain. He was shivering and his throat burned. Because of his fever, it made him more annoyed that he couldn’t find any type of cure for her cold. His cloak laid on the floor next to the desk. Debbie leaned on the cloak with closed eyes. Buddy nudged his side lightly, causing Spike to push him away.

“I’ll take a break later, I just need to find something.” Spike stated. From the side of his eye he saw the red book from before. He picked it up, hoping it would have some answers. He flipped through the book until he found the word ‘Healing Potion’. He read through the description.

”This Healing Potion can heal any wound or sickness. The only thing it can’t heal is death.
Ingredients: Gooseberries, An eyebrow of a Timberwolf, fresh peppermint leaves, and the bark of an oak tree.” Spike read. He felt himself get angry. There was no way he could get any of those without being swept away into the storm.

“Great I only have two of the four things I need! Perfect!” Spike exclaimed angrily, putting his face on the desk. He started to tear up and let out small sobs. Debbie was going to die because of him. It could take her weeks to get better and without the proper medication or mother to take care of her, the worst could happen. Buddy took a blanket from Debbie and placed it over Spike’s shoulders.

Buddy licked Spike’s cheek in an attempt to comfort him. He stopped licking his cheek when he heard Spike let out a soft snore. He curled up next to his feet and closed his eyes. He just hoped that Spike would get better.