• Published 5th Feb 2019
  • 3,565 Views, 86 Comments

Keeper of the Forest - ShowShine



Legend has it that one day someone will protect the Everfree forest and every creature in it

  • ...
3
 86
 3,565

Flying

Spike walked through the forest with a little skip in his step. The sun was still rising and Irdes let out a loud groan. He sat in the pocket of the jacket Spike was wearing.

“Why did we have to go this early?” Irdes whined out. Spike rolled his eyes.

“If you didn’t want to come you could’ve just stayed at the castle.” Spike responded. Irdes let out a small gasp.

“And let everyone know that there’s a powerful god among them? I think not!” He exclaimed, hiding deeper into the pocket. Spike pulled a cart filled with stuff from the castle. He wanted the house to feel more like home.

They approached the house and Spike smiled at the sight. It was his home away from home. Debbie stood on the roof, her chest puffed out and her eyes closed tightly. Spike tilted his head in confusion. What was she doing? Debbie hopped off of the roof, flapping her wings quickly. She quickly plummeted towards the ground, letting out distressed chirps. Spike let go of the wagon and flew towards her in a panic. He stretched out his hand and itnstarted to glow. Large bushes emerged from the ground and Debbie fell in with a soft “plop”. Spike helped her out of the bush, happy to see that she was not injured.

“What were you doing?” Spike asked. Debbie looked at the ground bashfully. Spike looked at her wings. The right one was much smaller than the left one. It was too small for her to fly. Spike thought for a moment. He had built a saddle for Buddy, building a wing shouldn’t be that hard.

“I can help you fly.” Spike stated. Debbie gave him an excited look and flapped her wings in joy. Irdes poked his head from Spikes pocket.

“You didn’t have to run over here, it really shook me up.” Irdes complained. Spike rolled his eyes and made his way inside. This was going to be a breeze.


Spike stood in the library, holding three books. He had found a few books on how birds fly and toy airplanes.

“I still can’t believe that this place has such a big library.” Spike said in disbelief. Buddy sleepily walked into the room, obviously just waking up. His tail wagged happily when he saw Spike.

“Hey Buddy, I got you something.” Spike said while reaching into cart. He pulled out a large rubber dog toy. Spike tossed it to Buddy, making him take a few steps back. He sniffed it for a moment before happily biting into it, his tail wagging. Spike chuckled.

“I’m glad you like it.” He stated while flipping to a page on the book about birds. He saw a diagram of a birds wing. It listed all of the parts and different feathers on the wing. “This is perfect!” Spike exclaimed. He didn’t even need to use the other books he had found. He reached the wagon and pulled out his notebook that he wrote in. He usually wrote down facts about animals that he had found.

Spike walked out of the room, looking for the workshop he had found the day before. He opened a random door to see a bunch of fabric and feathers. Some were real and some were fake. He picked up a measuring tape the was laying near the door.

“I need those later.” Spike said before closing the door. He walked to the next room to see that it was filled with metal, wood, and tools. He walked over the the flat metal table and pulled out very thin tubes of metal.

“Come here, Debbie!” Spike shouted. He heard the distant sound of claws scraping across the hardwood floor. She rushed into the room, flapping her wings. Spike walked over to her and held out her good wing. “Stay still.” He said. Debbie stiffened up, trying to be still as possible. Spike pulled out the measuring tape and started to measure her wings at all angles. He wrote down the measurements in his notebook.

“Thanks Debbie, that’s all I needed.” Spike said before Debbie walked out of the room. He opened the draw on the metal table and pulled out a black marker. He measured the metal tube and put a line at the few inches below Debbies normal wing wing length. Her smaller wing would bring the prosthetic wing up by a few inches.

He reached into the drawer and pulled out a metal cutting blade. He sawed through the metal until it broke off.

“This can’t be too hard.”


Spike stared at the metal structure he made. It looked just like a wing. It bent like one too. It was perfect, it just needed feathers. Spike walked out of the room, almost stepping on Cinnamon.

“Oops, I didn’t see you there.” Spike stated. Cinnamon looked up at him and let out a soft mewl. He arched his eyebrow. “Do you wanna come with me?” He asked. Cinnamon stood up and rubbed her head against his leg, letting out a purr, her wings fluttering a bit. Spike smiled and picked her up with one arm, holding the wing his other arm. He walked into the room with crafts supplies in it. He carefully put the wing on the wooden desk that was pressed against the wall.

“Do you wanna help me out?” Spike asked, holding Cinnamon like a baby. She started at him with her big yellow eyes and lightly pawed his face. Spike placed her on the floor and pulled out a few bins full of real feathers, thick thread, thick fabric, leather, and different sized needles. He sat down onto the wooden chair and picked up the needle and thread. He threaded the needle and started to sewing the fabric into the small holes in the metal.

“It’s a good thing I asked Rarity for sewing tips last week. This fabric and thread is great for wind resistance. It’s for pegasi outfits. She even taught me how to sew feathers into things!” Spike explained to Cinnamon, who was playing in the bin of feathers, clearly not paying attention to him. Spike looked at her and smiled. She was a very helpful manticore.


Spike walked into the backyard, holding the newly built wing behind his back. Debbie watched Irdes wave Buddy’s dog toy in front of his face, playing fetch with him.

“Hey Debbie, I have a surprise for you.” Spike sang out. Debbie looked at him, tilting her head. Spike pulled the prosthetic wing from behind his back. She let out a happy squawk and happily flapped her wings, running over to him. Spike chuckled.

“Put your small wing out, I need to put it on.” Spike stated. Debbie excitedly put her wing out. Spike put a small harness on her wing, strapping the wing on. Debbie looked at the wing and flapped it happily, getting off of the ground a bit. The wing was different shades of blues, greens, and whites.

“Do you wanna try to fly again?” Spike asked. Debbie nodded her head and flapped her wings quickly. She got off of the ground by a few feet. The wing worked like a charm. Debbie landed in the ground and happily hopped around Spike.

“You’re welcome.”