• Published 25th Dec 2018
  • 591 Views, 43 Comments

Between Shows: Letters from the Road - Natedogg2006



Long distance relationship can be hard on even well established relationships. Watch two ponies grow closer despite being worlds apart.

  • ...
0
 43
 591

Back to Business

Set not long after the yearly winter wrap up which marked the end of The Great and Powerful Trixie's very first off season. She now sets back out for a brand new tour with a brand new outlook on life.
***

"I'm glad you talked Pinkie out of that big farewell party she was planning." Beatrix said this while tucking the last few of her road provisions into the corner of her cart. "Honestly, this is already going to be so hard."

"I know sweety. You've been getting more nervous about this since winter wrap up. But don't worry about it, I'm sure the girls understand."

"I barely understand. It's so weird for me to be nervous to be going out on the road. I've been doing this since well before I was old enough to. Normally by the time I leave a place I've worn out my welcome and I can't wait to leave. I look forward to it even, and then I only start to notice how lonely I am after weeks on the road. Now all I can think about is the fact that I won't get to see you again for a month. Half way across Equestria from here."

Twilight was standing in front of the door to the cart, making sure the runes she'd carved in to stabilize various protective spells she'd cast over her marefriends mobile abode were correct. "I'll write you every day. If nothing else just to say goodnight and I love you. Because, you know, I love you. And I wouldn't want you to forget it." She looked over, flashing a cheesey smile.

Beatrix felt her hooves moving of their own accord. She came to nuzzle her marefriend deeply. "Oh honey, you're already making this so hard. How am I going to survive if I can't kiss you every day?"

Twilight nuzzled back even harder. "Like you haven't been trying to get more than enough extra to last you for the month."

"Yeah, but it's just never enough." She separated just enough to bring their lips together.

"No, it never is," Twilight responded as their lips parted. "But it's time to go. I don't need to be worrying about you traveling at night to make up lost time."

Slowly, the pair left the inside of the cart. Beatrix slid into the straps of her cart naturally enough, though she was sure she'd be sore for the first time in years come the next day. She let out a sigh. "I'm going to miss you. And Spike, and the girls, and the bed."

Twilight giggled at the words. "I'm gonna miss you too. Having you so close, and your cute little snore while you sleep. And not having to worry if you're safe."

"I love you."

"I love you more."

"I love you most."

"I love you mostest."

The two giggled, and their lips locked again. Only then did an old familiar shrill squeak begin to assault Twilight's ears. She felt her body slump more and more as the sound began to fade away.

Twilight stood, staring at the empty street that led away from her library and out of town for longer than she cared to admit. She wasn't sure when five other mares and a little baby dragon came to join her.

"How the two of ya' handle it?" Applejack asked after a time no one wanted to acknowledge."

Twilight let out a deep sigh. "That, was really hard. It feels like there's... something missing." Her hoof went unconsciously to her chest. She suddenly felt forelegs close in on her from all sides.

"Come on, let's go get ya' something ta' eat. We don't need ya' pacing all day wondering if it's too soon to send her a letter."

"Thanks girls. I really wish I could give her something like this. She's going to be all alone for so long."

"And that's why y'all gotta be strong for her. She'll be home soon enough, and you gotta let her know that it's here for her."

"I have no idea what I'm going to write her about tonight other than how much I miss her though."

Applejack just gave her a little laugh and a nudge. "If it's for her, I'm sure you'll come up with something to put her at ease."

***
Later that night
***

Beatrix
I know this is my first letter with you back on the road and you might be expecting something significant out of it, but I actually have to ask you something:
Do you have any idea where the heck my pillow went. Those were fairly new since we just bought the bed, but I can't find it anywhere.

***

I am currently snuggling it and honestly I'm surprised it took you this long to notice. I've been looking forward to this all day.

***

You stole my pillow? And you have zero shame about this?

***

None what so ever. After years of sleeping alone I have finally had the chance to sleep next to somepony consistently for an extended period of time. This experience taught me something, and that is that I'm a snuggler. This pillow smells like you so I'm keeping it until I see you again in Manehattan. At which point you will bring my pillow which you will be using until then. At which point I will be stealing that one when you aren't looking and replacing it with this one.

***

Exactly how long have you been planning this?

***

Since that one weekend you had to go to Canterlot and I had trouble sleeping without you there.

***

Twilight smiled as she looked over the latest message. While trying to decide how she was going to reply, another POMF from her candle caught her attention.

***

I'm being a little goofy so that you'll worry less, but I really do miss you. This is the hardest being on the road has ever been for me. But this is what I know, this is how I live.

***

Sweety. I know, but I think both of us are going to be ok. I'm laying here in bed, writing like you're right here with me. It almost feels natural. I am going to miss my spot curled into the crook of your neck though.

***

This warming spell you carved into my cart is really nice. It feels like your magic, like you're here with me. Even more than when it was just the extra space spell.

***

Twilight had to stop and think about that for a moment. She didn't know of any rune spell that would cause a warming affect. She briefly worried that she had loaded the space with too many protective enchantments and that it might be causing a magical buildup. However she had anticipated that and build failsafes into the array. So what could it be that was making her feel warm.

A thought came to her, one that made her blush and giggle. She decided to tuck that away for herself, for now.

***

I just know I'm going to sleep better than I ever do when I'm on the road. Speaking of which, you never did finish telling me about that new research you were doing for Celestia.

***

So now you're not even hiding the fact that you encourage me to talk science because it puts you to sleep.

***

That's not true at all honey. I just love the sound of your voice, and nothing gets you talking like magic or science.

***

You're argument is inherently flawed in this situation. Especially since I did finish telling you about my research the other night. I think you were out cold at the first mention of the different types of mineral structures I was theorizing that I could use to help stabilize magical storage devices. I thought it would be interesting to you too. I could use that to help protect your cart better while you're on the road. Just think of the possibilities.

***

Twilight waited a few minutes for a reply.

***

Beatrix?

***

She waited another minute. Only then did realization sink in, causing gleeful laughter to overtake her. She giggled as she rolled back and forth on their bed, clutching a pillow to herself.

"Oh my goodness. Even when you're so far away you're so adorable." Her outburst settled. As it did she found herself inhaling deeply. She still felt like something was missing, but it seemed much more manageable now. She buried her face into the pillow from the empty side of the bed, using it to muffle a sound that seemed like it wanted to be heard by all of Equestria. "I love you so much!!!"

Now rolling and sprawling on the bed, she felt a gentle contentment lulling her to sleep. Suddenly the time she'd have to wait to see her beloved again didn't seem that long. Her eyes fluttered closed as the thought made her smile.

Author's Note:

Decided to drop this without ceremony, simply because I've been having a hard time finishing anything lately. I'm really trying to finish everything I have on my plate, so thank you if you've stuck around through all my stalling. Let me know what you think and have a great day.

Comments ( 4 )

Very sweet. Twilights last two letters are in blue though.

11329731
Frick, thought I fixed that. Thanks buddy, for reading and for the help.

Beautiful and heart warming, the majestic and magnificent Ebonyknight approves once more! Your character representation of both Beatrix and Twilight along with the struggles of their relationship is endearing and forthright. So as previously promised I will continue to await any more chapters you are willing to pen with bated breath.

11329983
My thanks for your continued patronage, praise, and patience. I still like writing for them, even if they sound more and more like me and my wife the further their interactions go. :twilightblush:

Login or register to comment