• Published 25th Dec 2018
  • 595 Views, 43 Comments

Between Shows: Letters from the Road - Natedogg2006



Long distance relationship can be hard on even well established relationships. Watch two ponies grow closer despite being worlds apart.

  • ...
0
 43
 595

Happy Birthday

Twilight let out a sigh. "Really Sweety. Of all the things I didn't think I had to worry about a freak out with."

She was saying it to herself as she picked up a scroll from below her special candle in her and her marefriends room. She started making her way outside.

***

I know I'm being weird. Please just tell the girls that I don't mean to be rude but I just don't think I can do this right now. I mean, it doesn't have to be on this day right? That's how we did it at the orphanage, just one per month for everyone who had it that month. And not on the actual day for anyone, so it's fair. I've always been ok with that.

***

"Sweety, it's your special day. The girls just wanted to do something nice for you since you've never.... You're not in your cart."

Twilight stared in disbelief at the open door of her marefriends cart. A mild feeling of panic rushed over her as she returned to reading her letter.

***

I just need more time to process this. I promise I'm ok so don't worry. And don't look for me either.

***

Twilight was back in her library home as quickly as her hooves would carry her. Down a hall and up some stairs and she was sliding to a hault in front of the candle on her nightstand.

***

Beatrix
Don't you dare tell me not to worry about you. If you're worried about your birthday party that's one thing but don't make me wonder where you are you know i worry even if you're just on the road so at least tell me where you are otherwise I'm going to freak out and totally....

***

"Sweet Celestia. I can see your tail!" Twilight exclaimed as she flopped down on the bed, releasing the unease she'd been feeling. Looking over the edge she saw a familiar blue streaked tail swish under the new bed her marefriend had recently helped her pick out and buy.

Pomf.

Twilight groaned as she lit her horn to levitate her candle over with the new letter.

***

Can you see it now?

***

"No."

Pomf.

***

Than please don't look for me. I just need a little time to deal with this.

***

"Why weren't you in your cart. It really scared me when I couldn't find you."

Pomf.

***

You always find me there.

***

"I like that I can always find you."

Pomf.

***

You've largely domesticated me. I'm not going to just disappear. I've done that enough in my life. I'm honestly worried I'll of gone soft by the time I get back on the road.

***

"So why did you hide under the bed this time?"
Pomf.

***

It just... felt safe.

***

Twilight felt a tear come to her eye, but managed to keep her voice from shaking as she continued. "Well, if you already feel safe, do you want to tell me why having a birthday is so scary for you? You're not nearly old enough to be lying about your age yet."

Pomf.

***

But I'm way too old to be turning one.

***

Twilight decided her reply needed to be captured in writing. She floated over some parchment.

***

?????? What ??????

***

Pomf.

Twilight was very satisfied when she heard a snort and bad attempts to suppress laughter.

"I've literally never had a birthday of my own. I figured that was obvious, you spoiled brat."

Twilight did her own terrible job suppressing her laughter.

***

No seriously. I was wondering why Pinkie was trying to find one big candle with twenty-seven wicks.

***

More snickering from under the bed made Twilight smile even more.

"You have really awesome friends, you know that right."

***

And eventually you'll realize they're your friends too. Probably around the same time you realize why you hid under the our bed this time.

***

Twilight looked at the letter she written for a minute. She decided it wasn't time for that yet. She tucked it away and started another.

***

Yes I do, and they're waiting for us now. I have it on good authority that this is going to be the 'most awesometastic first birthday ever. With blackjack, and hookers.'

***

Twilight felt a thud through the bed as her marefriend reacted to the letter. It sounded like she was literally rolling with laughter in the confined space. She readjusted herself as the commotion seemed to come to a rest on the side of the bed. Hanging her head over, she found herself almost nose to nose with the still snickering mare.

"Please don't tell me she decided to do a Las Pegasus theme because it's technically my home town."

Twilight leaned forward to plant a quick kiss on her nose. "Yeah, as I understand it that was the thinking."

"Ok," Beatrix said as she rolled over onto her hooves. "I am officially morbidly curious enough not to be overwhelmed."

Twilight smiled as she rolled off the bed. "Great, just don't let Pinkie know I told you the theme. She wanted it to be a surprise."

Her marefriend giggled mischievously at that making Twilight quirk an eyebrow. However the showmare then seemed to stop and consider. "You know," she started in a sultry tone. "She can't be upset at Twilight if Moonlight goes to the party instead."

Twilight was slightly taken aback by this. "Are you suggesting we go to the party in costume?"

"I am totally suggesting we go to the party in costume. After all, " She took up a pose that was clearly missing a cape to be complete. "The Great and Powerful Trixie needs to make sure she's not rusty when her next great and powerful tour begins!"

Giggling and dropping her voice into a now familiar slightly more dreamy, fangirly pitch, Twilight responded. "Oh Trixie, how can you possibly not always be the greatest?"

Beatrix giggled before pulling her marefriend into a big hug. "This is going to be so much fun."