• Published 14th Dec 2018
  • 4,681 Views, 156 Comments

Thought for Food - AstralMouse



In Ponyville, a changeling sits next to a sign that says "feed me".

  • ...
5
 156
 4,681

Epilogue

In the pleasant town of Ponyville, one house on the edge of town stands out from the rest. The corners are filed down or filled in to make them more round. The door is ovoid, looking more like it opens into a circular cave entrance than a house. Its brown thatched roof remains unchanged, sitting heavily on the single-story abode. The front and back yard have several large mounds of dirt with holes in the middle of them that are big enough for a pony to fit into. They are all interconnected tunnels, leading to each other and into the house. The mailbox out front has a small pile of letters inside it, waiting for the home's owner to return.

Near the center of town is a small office building with similar treatment of its corners. The door, however, is a familiar rectangle, just like most others in Ponyville. A sign hangs above the door, attached to a horizontal bar by short chains, swaying gently in a light breeze. There is a picture of a smiling green face on it next to some text.

CHANGELING EMBASSY
"COME IN! LET'S BE FRIENDS!"
-AMBASSADOR AMBASSADOR

Inside, there is a lime green changeling sitting at a desk doing paperwork, smiling. The interior is well lit by the windows, but also by a few pieces of green glowing fungus decorating the walls. Protruding corners are filed to be more rounded and recesses are filled with organic resin to the same effect. It is done subtly so as not to be uncomfortable for ponies, but to also give them a better idea of what the changeling hive feels like. It is a careful mix of both worlds.

Leaning on the side of the desk is a sign. A neat rectangle of carefully nailed-together planks are professionally nailed to a long sharpened stake. The lower third of the stake has dried dirt and grass on it, and the point has been dulled by frequent use. The letters on the sign are large and neatly written.

FEED
ME

Author's Note:

This has been a wonderful experience writing this and seeing the reactions from you all. I hope you enjoyed the story, and how it ended. I hadn't planned on it taking much direction, but it just kind of worked out this way. If I do a sequel, it'll be about Ambassador solving individual problems with ponies or changelings or whoever he has to, as a mediator. I can't make any promises, but I do have some ideas floating around for it, so who knows!

As always, thank you so much, for reading and I hope this has been a satisfying end of this story!

Comments ( 39 )

Sad to see it’s already done. Still, it was an adorable fic to read!

The entire time I read this I kept having the Little shop of horrors go through my head. "Feed me , Seymour."

It was a very good fic. Merry Christmas.

This story was fabulous and adorable; I loved every moment of it! I especially loved the head pats that Ocellus wanted, it made my whole heart melt and I started to tear up. The King Thorax hug being the ultimate gift was also so cute! Your writing is amazing and I love your work.
Also, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you!

9365993
Thank you! And yeah, I feel like more might get kind of repetitive, and the natural conclusion was going to be when he established himself as an official ambassador in Ponyville. I was also kind of running short on ideas for feeding that weren't just repeat scenes with a different pony. I tried to make each one I described unique.

9366076
That really means a lot to me. Evoking a response like that makes me happy. I'm super glad you enjoyed it, and happy holidays to you as well!

That is definitely an ambassador doing his job- exposing another culture to their own in a way that encourages congress, rather than conflict.

And he's also the Ambassador now, of course. I can only wonder how that sort of experience fed back through the hivemind meshes with ex-infiltrators.

Any chance we may see more adventures with Ambassador in the future? :derpytongue2:
was a fun little story loved every bit of it :twilightsmile:

A nice, sweet end for a nice, sweet story. Much love and merry Chrismas!

Awww... That was a sweet story. The whole plot of needing an Ambassador seems reasonable, the concept of transferring love magic is interesting, and constant issues with the text not fitting on the sign perfectly is hilarious!

I have no complaints.

I can say without exaggeration that I enjoyed every moment of this little fic. It's short, sweet, and exactly what I look for in a slice-of-life.

My one critique would be that while it's kind of Ambassador to warn of the feeling of discomfort, in some spots he plays it up to an extent where I personally would not want to try feeding him (for instance, when he describes it as "very uncomfortable" in the second chapter). If he were to just say "this might be a little uncomfortable" or some other more benign wording, I could see ponies going along with it.

That's just a nitpick, however. This was overall a good read, and would love to read a sequel. No pressure, though!

No two ways about it, this was adorable.

Happy Hearth's Warming everycreature! I loved Ambassador and the ammount of detail you put into this!! This story gave me a few ideas for my own story!

Very cute story, thank you!

Cute, but that first chapter doesn't mesh.

A little taste of 'how far he's come' as a chapter. :derpytongue2: Nice. :twilightsmile:

9368134
Hehe, yeah, I was definitely thinking of that exact "the horror, the horror!" line when I was writing that. And I believe they were also responsible for spreading rumors about Zecora in season 1.

As for how the changelings communicate, the idea was that it's all just simple thoughts or emotions, or sharing memories. When the two were asleep, they just had a lot more time to do it. I would say they can and do dream, but can also "speak" without waking up, and are always listening.

That was a very cute read! :twilightsmile:
I would love to see more of Ambassador Ambassador, but it's up to you whether or not you'd like to continue his story. We'll be waiting for your decision!

Ambassador - Profesional professional therapist

Loved this story! I don't know why but exploring pony world with changling's pov is just very interesting.

I'm going to be honest... at first, I hated the new changeling designs. I thought the original black and green was the perfect idea for them to be represented as insects. This story however, has managed to get me a little more open to the idea of their new appearance and well... I've started to like the non-Thorax designs.

This fic was adorkable I loved it

This story was incredibly adorable. I really enjoyed it! You deserved all the attention you got.

9386274
Awwww, thanks so much! I'm really glad you liked it.

9380941
I've seen you around, and I always love seeing your cute changeling avatar. I'm super happy that you liked my story~

I'm a sucker for a good changeling story. Well done.

9417359
Exactly.

Joking aside, having a higher governmental figure housed in your town doesn't remove the need for a mayor. It sure does take away the spot light though.

Ri2

9417476
No, I mean since when does Canterlot have a mayor?

9418434
Why wouldn't it? Manehatten would have a mayor, Stalliongrad, Dodge Junction. Towns have mayors. Just because a particular town is also the seat of a federal/state/monarchical government doesn't preclude a mayor. London has a mayor despite also hosting Parliment and the Queen. Washingtong DC has a mayor while also housing the President.

The point was that at least Mayor Mare has been mentioned. She still has a job to do, unless you think Princess Sparkle is approving zoning provisions for the new housing tract going up, or all the other executive functions for the town. The mayor of Canterlot hasn't even been mentioned (poor thing) because the narrative would rather jump straight to the Diarchs instead of a lower level (possibly*) elected official that deals with garbage collection contracts / water systems maintenance / nobles wanting to tether airships off their balconies.

*(I say 'possible' because Canterlot mayor could conceivably be a noble title or appointed by the aristocracy / the princesses)

This was an adorable read. Ambassador is a hilarious changeling in the fact he is oblivious to Pony customs. Kinda remind me of Idol Hooves from The Changeling of the Guard.

9446725
Thank you! I'm a big fan of Changeling of the Guard, so it's wonderful to hear that it reminded you of that some! I'm happy that you enjoyed the story. Writing something that has still been getting positive reactions even now has been pretty awesome.

That was great and I really like Ambassador. I hope there can be some kind of sequel.

I had no clue there was more then one chapter I loved this will there be a sequel

I love everything about this story. I love the idea of Thorax sending an ambassador to Ponyville. I love the idea of said ambassador being so utterly clueless and eager to please that he takes the name Ambassador. I love his succession of goofy, guileless signs. I love the flashes of character insight that come with every feeding (I even kind of love the ache from knowing that I can't give Mayor Mare a hug :fluttercry:). I love the touches of world-building about changelings, how they act, think, feel, and see the world; I especially love how seamlessly that world-building is woven into the narrative, virtually zero asides or infodumps. I love how the story follows a clear narrative arc, with conflict and resolution and even a bit of peril, without ever losing any of that warm slice-of-life coziness.

That's all. Thank you. :twilightsmile:

such a fun story i love it.

I really liked this one, very well done and sweet

Login or register to comment