• Published 12th Dec 2018
  • 796 Views, 3 Comments

Conquest: Prologues - pretty-pegasus-wings



It’s been a hundred years since the elements and their bearers disappeared, Equestria has changed lacking the harmony it once had. Chrysalis, after years of planning, is ready to set her plan of revenge in motion. It's time to gather the pieces.

  • ...
0
 3
 796

Rising Shadows

One hundred years… that’s how long I’ve waited. The thought ran through her mind over and over as she read the pages of the ancient spell book floating before her. A hundred years of planning, waiting, patiently preparing. Many would have stopped once their main foes have past, other ceasing the moment they saw their enemy’s precious land crumbling before them. No, not I, not while they still live. She ran her hoof along the lines inscribed in a near forgotten language. The suffering their beloved ponies caused could never equal the pain I intend to give back.

“My queen.” The tiny voice reverberated in the cool, damp cave. Gently, the tall changeling craned her head back, eyes focused on the few who stared at her with concern. “The messages have been delivered.”

She grinned. “Excellent.”

One with a blueish tint stepped forward. “Are you sure this is a good idea? No-Not that we would ever question you!”

“My dear children.” She strolled over to them, a calm, motherly gaze in her emerald eyes. “I understand your worries, in fact, I have similar thoughts.”

“You didn’t meet with that spider queen! That look in her eyes….” The one with a green tint shivered. How simple it appeared to them, so straight forward.

“Exactly.” They stared at her with shock. “Imagine the looks on those ponies’ faces when they see armies straight out of their worst nightmares. To see villains thought long gone marching out from the horizon. And best of all, when we wave the princess’ battered bodies before them!” She let off an excited cackle, her subjects joined hesitantly as the idea sank in. “Once I bring these future allies together and convince them of my plan, Equestria will be ours! Starvation will never be seen and we shall build a greater hive than the last. Gone the days of running and hiding like cowards. We will be a strong colony again, this time, with leaders of all sorts by our side to secure our reign. You’ll see, my little grubs, this is the beginning of their END!” Her horn lit in a fiery green, the book in her magic glowed in unison. “I suggest you stand back.”

The changelings scampered away. Chrysalis took a few steps back and summoned a piece of chalk. With grace and skill, she drew several ancient symbols upon the ground, checking back to the image in the book every so often. “Give me his horn.” The one with an almost purple tint moved forward timidly, pulling a neatly wrapped curved object from her saddle bag. Eagerly, the queen snatched it in her magic and carefully unwrapped it revealing a broken red horn. She placed the piece within the center of the circle, her grin grew with malicious excitement.

In a violent motion, she blasted the chalk markings with her magic. Black flames rose, whipping about and taking form. Slowly, they crept around the horn, engulfing it in thick shadows. Swirling, twisting, grasping as they pull themselves upward and covering every inch, bringing the horn with them. From the end of the broken horn, a form took shape, moving towards the ground. What was once sharp, undefined shapes quickly became hooves, legs, a body, a head, and a fierce, raging mane. The form let out a sharp cry, the shadows faded revealing the details of his dark grey fur and striking red eyes, pupils slit like the edges of crystal.

As the shadows reverted, the new form collapsed onto the floor, gasping harshly as his hooves grasped at the rock beneath him. “The Empire….” He breathed heavily as his lungs stretched after years of rest, body strained to hold him as he pushed himself to a sitting position.

Chrysalis moved towards him. “Take it slow, it’s been some time since your defeat.”

“You… what are you? And where am I?” His voice strained and crackled as he spoke.

“My name is Chrysalis, I am the queen of the changelings and this is our home, for now.”

“Changelings….” He raised a hoof to his chin, a thoughtful look in his eyes. “Where have I heard of them...?”

“Aren’t you curious about the time or why I brought you here?”

The dark pony grinned fiendishly. “Clearly, you have some need for me, why else would you go through the trouble?” With one big push, he stood and walked over to her. “But the time, how long? Another thousand years?”

“At least a hundred.”

“Hmmm, and the Empire?”

“Still ruled by that pathetic alicorn.”

He sneered. “That damn princess…. No matter, she will be dealt with in time. As for you, what are you scheming?”

"I won’t spoil the details, but I have my sights set on Equestria and it will be the start.”

A devious glint showed in his eyes. “And the Empire?”

“How could I possibly ravage it without its true king?”

His lips pulled back revealing his sinister smile. “My bug like friend, you have my attention.”

“Save it for later, Sombra, you aren’t the only one invited to my takeover.”

“Oh?”

Chrysalis moved over to the opening where the changelings huddled, staring in fear and scattering as Sombra drew near. “I have been waiting years for this, building and smoothing the perfect plan for conquest. Years of struggle, pain, with nothing but hatred to see us through; all to pay off tomorrow.” She stood before a massive city like complex within the depths of the cave. Holes, hives, changing passageways, and sickly green cocoons cover the area all while changeling buzzed about. “Until then, you should rest; you sound like death.”

Sombra chuckled. “It will pass in time, my body has been in stasis for many years.” The dark king took in the sights around him as they made their way around the hive, staring in awe at how it was so inconspicuous despite its size.

“You should have seen years ago before my kind was split.”

“Split? How so?”

She gave a short huff. “It’s not one of my greater moments….”

“Seeing how you managed this, I say whatever it was is no true reflection on your part. I was defeated twice over myself.”

“This time, we won’t.” She gave a determined snarl through the strand of greenish mane laying against her face. Failure can’t be an option, not now. Surely after this stunt, the princesses would never let her see the light of day, if they let her live at all.

“Sometimes, Chrysalis, we must fail to succeed as much as it may pain us. Take it and use it to your advantage.” He gave her a toothy grin. “Make them suffer greater than you.”

The charmed queen returned a pleased smile. “I like you already. Are you hungry? There’s much to explain about about these last hundred years and a meal would be the best way to discuss it.”

“A meal would be lovely, thank you.” They both made way through the winding path, disappearing into one of the maze-like openings which closed tightly behind them.

Comments ( 1 )

So I take it there will be a sequel?

Login or register to comment