• Published 12th Dec 2018
  • 791 Views, 3 Comments

Conquest: Prologues - pretty-pegasus-wings



It’s been a hundred years since the elements and their bearers disappeared, Equestria has changed lacking the harmony it once had. Chrysalis, after years of planning, is ready to set her plan of revenge in motion. It's time to gather the pieces.

  • ...
0
 3
 791

The Lion Council

“Good afternoon, Nutmeg!” A chipper voice rung alongside the bell the door hit as he entered the store.

The mare standing behind the wooden counter perked up at the tone, a grand smile stretched across her face. “Parcel! I thought I wouldn’t be seeing you for another day!”

“Same here!” He casually strolled past the sweet smelling displays of freshly baked sweets, stopped and leaned against the pink and white counter between them. “But the guy back in Haylington didn’t need as much as usual, so my journey got cut short!”

“How lovely, gives you more time to relax back home. Sometimes I wonder if you ever rest.”

Parcel gave a slight chuckle. “Someone’s got to make these deliveries. Speaking of,” he dug into his saddle bag and pulled out a few boxes, “the batch of heart shaped sprinkles you ordered.” Nutmeg squealed with excitement as she took the box in her magic, swiftly tearing it open and admired the little containers inside. Each held piles of red and white heart shaped sprinkles, ready to top cupcakes or other frosted pastries. “I can’t wait to give these a go! They’ll be perfect for Hearts and Hooves day.”

“Hard to believe it’s nearly here.”

Nutmeg leaned closer to him, tapping a hoof on his nose playfully. “You wouldn’t happen to have some special somepony in mind, do you?”

“Oh uh, no one in particular. Most of the mares back home already have someone.”

“Aw, sorry to hear, sugar.”

The stallion waved dismissive hoof. “Don’t be! Doesn’t bother me none, means more chocolate for me.”

Nutmeg giggled, placing the tip of her hoof to her mouth. “You are such a silly pony.” She looked over to the array of sweets behind her and pulled a bag from below the counter, plopping a few cinnamon rolls inside. “For the trip home.”

“How much was it again, eighteen bits?” He dug around for his bit pouch.

“Oh, Parcel, you know better.” She shoved them in his bag and buckled it tight. “It’s a tip and I will hear nothing more.”

“Ah, all right, but I’m not going to stop trying.” The mare rolled her eyes. “Guess I’ll be seeing you in a couple weeks?”

“Sure thing! I’m going to need to restock on confectionery sugar soon.” He smiled and turned to the door. “And, Parcel, please be careful out there. I’ve heard there’s something strange walking around that forest, the one a couple miles from here. You may want to stay at the inn so you won’t get caught there so late.”

“There’s no need to worry, I’ve walked it enough times to do it blind.” He pushed the door open, the bell rung once again. “You better have a batch of your Dark Delights ready by the time I come back.” With those last words, the stallion took off back into town.

Nutmeg sighed, placing her head on her hoof as she looked out the window wearily. “Celestia have mercy on him.”



* * *

It’s a familiar beat, the one made by Parcel’s hooves as he strolled along the path, cart firmly hooked on his back. As he made across the dirt path, his rough, brown mane and tail bounced along. The words of his friend still clung in his head about the strange occurrence in the forest, only growing stronger the moment it came into sight. He guessed it was a bear or something else seen late at night, leading to a pony to mistake it for some other creature. Maybe it was some odd pony walking around wearing a weird hat. Idea after idea ran through his head as he past the time imaging all the silly things it could be. He knew they were known for making tales and claims of the oddities of this forest, it wasn’t anything new and every time, he made it through no problem. Parcel noticed how late it was getting, the sun about to set. It has been a long trip, but the next town should be coming along soon enough; he always made it before the inn closed off business for the night.

An odd, jittering rush ran through him, it was sudden and not one he liked. He knew full well this wasn’t some odd occurrence, no, it was a sixth sense and his told him something wasn’t right. There was never a moment where it was wrong, something he learned from an early age. Mind wandered and repeated those words again and again. Slowly, he came to a stop, taking a moment to observe his surroundings. Nothing, yet the tingling remained. Should he run, hide, stay where he is? It’s not as if he knows what’s out there or if something’s coming, what it wants, if it knew he stood there like a lamb waiting to be tackled by a hungry wolf. For now, making way for the inn is the best option. The moment he went to take that first step, he heard something. A cry, a pained cry. Most would hear and take off for the hills, his inner sense screamed for him to get out of there and fast. His legs refused to move, thoughts focused on the shriek. Could he leave, is it too late, would this be worth getting killed over?

No, he can’t leave that pony be, not if these rumors ended up being true. How could he live with himself if he went to get help only to find a dead body? Not wasting another minute, he kicked off his harness and took off deep into the woods. Deeper and deeper, the shade from the trees grew thicker. He didn’t have time for second thoughts, not now. There, a sound, pained groans. With a heroic leap, he bounded over the brushes and bramble coming upon a clearing. Laying in front of him was a massive bear, bleeding, a blade protruded from its chest. This must have been the strange sight the town was going on about. So someone must have came to – He couldn’t finish the thought as blades pointed themselves at his throat, standing around him… no… towering…. They aren’t ponies, but they use magic like them. In fact, their faces and hooves resemble the average pony, yet their manes are massive and beastly like a lion’s as well as their long tails. More importantly, he saw one standing behind them. A gash against her chest prominently shown through her coat, body hunched over in pain as she grasped at the wound.

“What are you?” His voice quivered as he crouched his body close to the ground.

One looked to his compatriots. “Take this pony to the king!” The king? His sight faded, a blunt pain rung against his head. That was all he remembered before collapsing.



* * *

It took a moment for him to come back to full consciousness. That dull pain remained as Parcel woke, instantly proving his initial thoughts of the altercation being some dream wrong. The moment all his sense returned, he wished they hadn’t. Chains attached to the buckles on his hooves, around him steel bars. Outside in what was presumably a stone room, more cages, each empty. Trapped. Held captive like an animal by beasts. Surely, they had to be. Those manes, their massive size. Speaking beasts who wished to eat him. There was a creek that echoed through this dark, cold room. On the other side of the room, a light breached and one of them stood there, horn lit with magic. His cage door opened, the magic latched another chain to the clamp around his neck, yanking him from his holding.

“Come on, now! Get up!” The voice boomed through his ears, sending a shock through his legs as he went to stand. Reluctantly, he walked out with this creature knowing wherever this beast was taking, it wouldn’t end well for him. Yet he didn’t, he couldn’t have foreseen what lay before him next. It was a massive auditorium. Surrounding and filling the benches were those same creatures. Some wore clothing, trinkets, some wearing none yet all having regal, well groomed manes. It was the one who sat in the middle of the top row that frightened him above all. He was far larger than the rest, eyes burrowed hatred into him. The one leading him stopped beside a platform. “Stand there.” Parcel did as he was asked. At the sight of this frightened pony, the room broke into murmurs and whispers.

One in the far-right section slammed his hoof against the ground. “I warned you it was too close to those ponies!”

“And what did you propose?” One on the left leaned his head toward him critically. “If I remember correctly, all you did was complain and complain.”

“Clearly I had reason! Now they’ll know where we are!”

“We couldn’t continue to let everyone starve, not while our grounds are so barren! It was time to expand!” A beast in a cloak snapped back at him.

“Regardless, we knew it to be a risk, more care should be taken in the future.” Another in the front nodded to herself.

One in the front raised a hoof. “I say we try east this time; the northern west is far too close.”

“We should explore the south further!” Another argued, causing the room to break out into squabbles of ancient voices calling ideas and questions.

Before the room could break into further chaos, the giant at the top slammed his hoof on the ground. “Silence!” The force of his voice shook the room. “We shall continue our discussion of hunting once the pony is dealt with.” Many nod and mumble in agreement, sending horror through the shaken pony once again. “It cannot be allowed to live now that it knows we exist. Give it a day, and an army would surely be at our gates, ready to finish what they started years ago.” The creature stood, eyes dug further into him. “Bring forth a blade.”

“No, please no!” Parcel looked frantically about the room. His eyes pleaded as an armor cladded lion beast stepped forward, his sword held out as the massive beast swooped to the ground level, taking the blade in his magic. The force of his presence sent the earth pony against the floor, scrambling back as far as the chains would let him. “I wouldn’t tell, promise!”

“Lies.” He lifts the blade above the pony. “Ponies never change.” Parcel heart beat faster and faster, practically hitting against his rib cage. “And I will not give you that leeway, not when we have come so far.” In a mere blink, the shimmering blade rammed through his chest, stopping his heart. All the pony could do was gasp, moan as pain surged through him; the world going dark once more.