• Published 7th Feb 2019
  • 817 Views, 39 Comments

The Perfect Pear - The Blue EM2

  • ...
4
 39
 817

Chapter 12: Canterlot, 2001 (Bright Mac)

Canterlot, California, 2001



“Again?”

Big Mac simply couldn’t believe it. Pear was pregnant. Again. Since 1995 they had added another child to the family. In accordance with their agreement made in 1995, Pear had got to name the second child (which was a girl), and had called her Applejack.

But this news threw all of that into chaos.

“We’ve got a perfect balance at the moment,” he said. “But we’re either gonna end up with 1 boy and 2 girls, or 2 boys and one girl!”

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come ta it,” Pear replied. “And before you ask, Ah’m not getting' rid of it.”

“What’s makes ya think Ah’d want ya ta do that?” Mac replied. “After all, it ain’t the baby’s fault we weren’t careful that night.” He thought back, noting that hard cider late in the day perhaps wasn’t the best of ideas.

“That’s a relief,” Pear sighed. “Ah knew that you’d always have mah back.”



A few months passed, and Mac and Pear felt something was a bit up. They were only 12 weeks in, and Pear was already a lot larger than in her previous two pregnancies. So, at the first appointment, they made sure to enquire.

The reaction on the doctor’s face when looking at the ultrasound result told them all they needed to know.

“The baby is noticeably larger than in most pregnancies,” he told them. “I’m not convinced, if allowed to proceed to term, it would fit.”

Pear looked horrified. “Would Ah have ta give it up?” she asked.

“We’ll monitor your progress, and plan more when your second appointment comes around,” he finished.



The next meeting, 12 weeks later, simply confirmed what the doctor was fearing.

“If you wish to proceed, you’ll need to have a Caesarean,” he explained. Bright Mac looked very worried for his wife.

“What are the odds of me survivin’?” Pear asked.

“Very low.”

Mac looked into his wife’s eyes. “Please Pear,” he begged. “Don’t do this. Think of our kids!”

Pear shook her head. “Ah am. Of our livin’ children, and the one yet ta be born. Ah’ll go ahead, even if it kills me.”



3 months after that, the date arrived. The surgery itself proceeded smoothly, but Mac was outside as he had been asked to leave. He was worried, as you’d expect, when the doctor poked his head around the door.

“I have good news for you sir,” he said. “Both the baby and your wife survived.”

Mac leaped to his feet (the kids being looked after by Grand Pear and Mrs (now Granny) Smith). He went in to see the situation, to see his wife being stabilised. She looked tired, but very happy, and she cradled her third child in her arms.

“It’s a girl,” she said. Mac looked at her, and his jaw dropped.

The baby had lemon skin, as well as red hair.

“Well Ah’ll be!” was all he could say.

“It’s a female version of ya,” Pear laughed. “Do ya wanna name her?”

Mac shook his head. “Ah think we should both name her. How about ya think of the last name, and me the first name?”

There was a brief pause.

“Apple.”

“Bloom.”

Both parents nodded, and Pear smiled. “Apple Bloom it is then.”

Author's Note:

We are almost at the end of the tale. Stay tuned!