• Published 7th Feb 2019
  • 817 Views, 39 Comments

The Perfect Pear - The Blue EM2

  • ...
4
 39
 817

Chapter 6: Canterlot/Cass, 1994 (Pear Butter)

Canterlot, California, 1994

Late one night, Pear Butter and Bright Mac headed out into the fields surrounding Pearville farm, and headed down to a small rock that was at the end of the property, overlooking the sea. They looked at it, and Mac at last ventured to speak.

“What are we doin’ exactly?” he asked. “And tell me, why did ya bring yer guitar?”

“You’ll see,” Pear laughed, as she took a chisel out and handed one to Mac. “Now, all we need ta do is carve our names inta that rock.”

“So, our love will be preserved forever,” Mac realised. “Do ya wanna go first?”

Suddenly, another chisel appeared. “No, we should do it at once.”

The two of them got to work, but it took them half an hour to complete the work, complete with a heart in the centre of their names. It was crude and a bit messy, but it worked.

Both of them stepped back to examine their work, and were very pleased indeed.

“It’s just wonderful!” Mac exclaimed. “Just, Ah haven’t told mah parents yet, about you and me.”

“Well, ya can tell them when we’re there, can’t ya?” Pear suggested. “Besides, Ah’m certain they won’t mind.” She then produced her guitar, and began to strum.

“So, that’s what the guitar was for!” Mac exclaimed.

“Quiet, you!” Pear laughed. Then the most beautiful song that Mac had ever heard flowed from her lips;

“We're far apart in every way,

But you're the best part of my day.

And sure, as I breathe the air;

I know we are the perfect pair;”

She then launched into the chorus of the song she had written.

“On a prickly path that goes on for miles;

But it's worth it just to see you smile!”

As suddenly as the chorus had ended, Pear launched into the next verse.

“And I cannot be pulled apart,

From the hold you have on my heart;

And even if the world tells us it's wrong!

You're in my head like a catchy song.”

Mac wasn’t entire sure what to say in response to what he’d just heard.Wow. It's just... wow,” was all he could say.

“Do you like it?” Pear asked. “Be honest now!”

Bright Mac was in absolutely no doubt as to what to say next. “It's the best gift you could've given me!”

Pear then launched into the next verse.

“The seasons change and leaves may fall,

But I'll be with you through them all;

And rain or shine, you'll always be mine.”

With especially poignant symbolism, she launched into the final chorus and verse.

“On a prickly path that goes on for miles,

You're the only one who makes it all worthwhile!

And you should not blame me, too

If I can't help fallin' in love with you...”

Mac just sat there in stunned silence. “Ya wrote that...ta say ya love me?” he asked.

Pear smiled, a blush forming on her face. “We belong together Mac,” she replied. “We were just...made fer each other.”

Mac got up, and dusted himself off. “Well, we’d better be turnin’ in,” he said. “Don’t want to miss our flight tomorrow.”

Pear stopped him. “We need ta do somethin’ first,” she said. “Somethin’ all lovers do.”

Mac stepped closer to her, and in that moment, their lips met.

Mac had never felt happier. The mix of emotions exploded like a fireworks display in his heart as he kissed the woman he loved.

Pear felt exactly the same way. She knew in her heart that Mac was for her, and she had partly planned ahead and already asked her father for permission to marry. She only hoped that Mac’s family would do the same on the other end. But she was certain they would.

The flight to Yaeger Airport was fairly uneventful, and Great Apple was there to pick them up. When they arrived in Cass, Pear was awed by the beauty of the land of West Virginia.

“This is incredible!” she said, with a smile. “These are the company houses?”

“Yes, they are!” Mac said. “Let me give ya the grand tour of the town.”

He showed her all the sights, such as the houses, the company store (now the gift store for the railroad), the old mill, which was falling to bits, and even the depot house.

They emerged onto the platform, only to hear a loud whistle echo from nearby. Pear jumped in the air.

“What was that?” she asked.

“Hey, relax, that’s just a Shay,” Mac replied, as the passenger train rolled into the platform and came to a stop.

He walked up to the cab. “Is this train formin’ the next workin’ ta Whittaker?” he asked.

“It sure is,” replied the driver. “It’s good ta see ya again Mac.”

Mac walked back to Pear. “How’d ya like ta go up the line to Whittaker. You, me, and nobody else. It’ll be great fun!”

Pear grinned. “Sure!”

To say the least, Pear loved it. The power of the three-cylinder locomotive shook the trees and made the canopy sing with noise, not to mention the chime whistle produced a spectacular din that could be heard for miles around.

When they got back, it was time for dinner. Pear stepped into the kitchen and helped set the table, putting down the knife and fork first, followed by the plates.

Mrs Smith stared at her.

Pear looked over. “Did Ah do somethin’ wrong?”

Mrs Smith continued to stare. “Plates first, then knife, then fork. It’s how the Apples have always done it, and how we’ll always do it.”

“Sorry, Mrs Smith, but Ah was only tryin’ ta help.”

“Ah don’t recall askin’ fer help,” Mrs Smith grumbled, as she brought the pot over.

Whilst eating, the meal went in the usual direction, when Pear decided to put the question forward.

“There’s somethin’ Ah wanna ask,” she said, addressing Mrs Smith and Great Apple.

“And that is?” Great Apple asked.

“Ah wanna ask yer permission ta marry yer son.”

There was a moment of stunned silence. Then Mrs Smith spoke up. “Absolutely not!”

“Why?” Bright Mac asked. “Grand Pear had no issue with it.”

Great Apple spoke. “Grand Pear ain’t yer father, boy. Ah am. You ain’t ready ta be married at all.”

“But we go together perfectly!” Pear protested. “Ah’m sure of it!”

“Bein’ marrried is a whole different kettle o’fish to bein’ in love,” Mrs Smith said.

“But Pear brings so many good new ideas to the fold.”

Great Apple lost his temper. “You are not marrying her!” he barked, louder than a Castle. “Fer one, she ain’t even American, nobody from California is. And second, ya may be able to bring new ideas, but ya can’t plough a field with them!”

Pear shook in fright, at this man’s loud outburst. “Well, Ah suppose Ah’ll just leave then,” she whimpered, and then ran out of the door of the house, crying.

Author's Note:

Poor Pear...

The inspiration for this chapter comes from this recording of In My Head Like a Catchy Song; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H37ZkktvLvo