• Published 28th Jan 2019
  • 5,107 Views, 155 Comments

When Darkness Falls - MisterEdd



The nefarious Shadow King, King Sombra, has returned from beyond the realm of death...

  • ...
8
 155
 5,107

New Beginnings (Re-Written)

"They're not going to break me."

Sombra stared up at the ceiling, tracing the cracks that zig-zagged across the ancient stones. Did they really think that a tiny, solitary jail cell underneath the ground was going to rattle him? After spending a thousand years trapped in the darkness and ice, this new arrangement was looking like the luxury suite at a four-star hotel. Neither death nor cold nor isolation had broken Sombra's will and being the princesses' prisoner sure as Faust wouldn't either. He shifted on the cot and continued to count the cracks, scarlet eyes outlining each and every configuration.

"They're not going to break me."

Sombra was a survivor. He endured the Dravite Hill Massacre, the grueling trials of his apprenticeship to the dark magician Grimoire, a battle with two alicorns wielding the Elements of Harmony as well as his own grisly death. He doubted that this new peaceful society tolerated executions so the princesses would most likely keep him locked up for the rest of his life. Fine, let them try. Even without magic, he was a still force to be reckoned with. He'd wait; bide his time.

"Celestia...Luna...Spike..."

These were the names of those he'd see suffer. Oh sure, Spike was still an infant by pony standards. Sombra wouldn't kill him of course; even he wouldn't go that far. Maybe he would just fatten him up with gems and keep him locked in a box. Besides, the young dragon was kind to him and seemed like a decent person. Sombra sat up sharply.

Now where did that come from?

So what if Spike was nice to him? They weren't friends!

"...Cadence..."

Sombra sighed. No, even though she'd sided with Celestia, he would never harm his own child. He actually had to kind of admire her for standing by her convictions. Plus, she did manage to out think him. No, Cadence was off-limits. Perhaps one day she'd come to regret her decision and join him.

"Twilight Sparkle..."

A lump formed in Sombra's throat. Why was he so infatuated with that mare? She was now the enemy! They went on one date and kissed. So what? He slapped his hooves to his cheeks and rubbed at his face irritatingly. Was it her charming personality? Her intelligence? Strong magical gifts? And why did he tell her to go find another stallion to be with?

Despite the strict model of discipline he tried molding himself into, Sombra had always been a slave to his own emotions. He was weak and weakness was not tolerated, especially not in the grand scheme of things! Whatever this infatuation was, he couldn't let it blind him from his mission. His race demanded retribution and Celestia's death would be their wergild. All Sombra had to do was be patient and let his enemies make the first move.

Laying back down on the cot, Sombra put his forelegs behind his head and closed his eyes. Soon, very soon, he'd have his revenge on Celestia and all of Equestria would be his for the taking. He only hoped that Twilight could see the light by then.

Meanwhile...

The Everfree Forest, a strange crop of trees and deadly creatures, surrounded Ponyville to the south like a shadow, neighboring the quiet town before its conception. Ever since the time of Grogar, it was an ancient place, plagued with bizarre fauna and seething with dark magic, an area that most ponies knew on an instinctual level to avoid at all costs. Only the enigmatic zebra herbalist Zecora dared to brave the forest and even she had the good sense to never stray too far into its ominous depths. The facts about the forest had long since become merged with rumors and that alone left the evil in the untapped wilderness inactive. Until now.

In the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters, something had reawakened, something old and very angry. Stirring from her weakened stupor, the swirling, inky-black mist rose shakily from her nest beneath a partially-collapsed pillar. Malice stirred within her mind, a deep-seated hatred towards all living things, especially those meddlesome ponies that forced her out of her host. Craning her head up, the Darkness sniffed with non-existent nostrils, filtering out the myriad of smells until she picked up the right scent. If she had a mouth, she would be smiling, one of sadistic pleasure and dark intent.

Slithering across the dusty and debris-covered floors, the Darkness clawed her way over the stone, the thought of vengeance giving her strength. Several hours passed before she finally approached the castle's entrance and turned her gaze towards the east, detecting much aggression and rage in that direction. It took a moment to inspect her meager form, cursing the state that she'd been left in thanks to those vexatious Elements of Harmony. The Darkness was once a princess, nay, a queen, an epitome of the night itself and all the expansive, jewel-littered blackness that it represented. Equestria would be hers for the taking right now if not for those interloping mares!

But now was not the time for spiteful recollections of her humiliating defeat. The Darkness had a task to perform but first, she needed to regain her former strength and to do that, she needed a new host to fuel her. As a disembodied spirit, she couldn't derive sustenance from physical food and in her case, there was only one kind of nourishment that would suffice: raw, negative emotions. The worst the emotion-fear, anger, hatred-the stronger she would become. That, however, would take time but time she had, if her suspicions were true.

No doubt those fools thought that she was gone forever, destroyed by the purifying powers of the Elements of Harmony. The Darkness could almost laugh at the sheer arrogance and naivety they exuded. With great difficulty, the Darkness began her long trek towards her prey. One day, she would find her perfect vessel and punish those miserable Ponyville brats for interfering in her moment of triumph. Only then would she take out Princess Celestia and Luna and claim her birthright as the sole ruler of Equestria.

Nightmare Moon would rise once again...

Author's Note:

Addendum: When writing this, I wasn't planning on writing a sequel so I originally devised an ending where Princess Cadence and Shining Armor introduce Flurry Heart to a still-imprisoned Sombra. Now that I'm working on the second one, I've found it becoming much more complicated than I anticipated and as such, this revised ending is the canonical one.

Comments ( 43 )

Poor Sombra, I feel sad for the old guy.

9556863
Me too. This is only the first in my head canon series (despite the existence of Season 9) and I will bring Sombra back for more. He's not finished yet!

9600662
You're actually not the first person to have come to that conclusion so don't feel bad

Aww the ending was so Cute but sad..☹Poor Sombra he deserve better\:,Anyway I loved the story so mush,it was really well written,the plot with the twists,The twibra scenes which I found amazing❤💜,I can wait to read the sequel 😁

If the main OCs in this story were voiced, what would they sound like?

10020193
My first choice for Sombra would be Sam Witwer, who can be switch between being charming, sympathetic and menacing. My second pick is Steve Blum, who is one of my favorite voice actors.

*hisssing intensify*

10020226
What about Sombra's daughter? I mean, unless it's Twilight... I haven't read the story yet.

10062417
Sombra's daughter is Princess Cadence. It's in the story towards the end.

Nice touch with the song at the end. Was well fitted.
I just had a funny experience with it :twilightsheepish: when I clicked the link I left the screen for a moment and it was a Duster car ad that played. It confused me greatly at the time but the song was funny with the mood I got from the story.

10235654
Got like a 89% I think. But Damn, probably one of the hardest papers I had this year.

10235994
Wow. So are you liking the story so far?

10235998
Oh Definitely, I'm actually like half-way through Return of the King rn. I sat down and read both this and that in one sitting so I'm a little burnt out though! So I'll probably finish the remaining chapters of Return of the King by... Tuesday...?

10236015
Sounds good! It's actually close to being finished.

10276138
*Mortified screaming and rolling around on the ground while the white foam of insanity spills out of my mouth*

Hi. Can I translate your story into Russian?

10309518
Translate to what?

*sees story title* and Arabia calls
One man spreads his wings, as the battle begins
May the land lay claim on to Lawrence name
Seven pillars of wisdom lights the flame

10355668
Ha, honestly, it didn't register to me until I actually started writing it. I just chose the title 'cause I thought it sounded cool

Hi. Can I please translate your story into Russian?

10403176
Still it added insult to injury that Luna(might as well mention Celestia too, but more focused on Luna here) about how screwed she is due to no longer being connected to the Elements honestly..

10403178
This series mainly deals with Sombra but I'll add in stories exploring other themes and characters not given enough spotlight, such as Princess Luna. Don't worry, she'll get her moment to shine.

10403183
Though I wished about the barrier part gets addressed..
Like I feel like its an issue for Luna that shouldn't be brushed aside.
I mean, it did added salt to the wound about no longer being connected to the Elements thing..

Managed to read this fic fully now.
Kind of wondering about the whole Nightmare Moon bit at the end.
In fact with how Celestia twisted up stuff after Sombra's defeat a 1000 years ago, makes me wonder if she did the same to Luna/Nightmare Moon?
Heck, that whole Summer Sun Celebration added so much salt to Luna's wounds there.

10403205
Nightmare Moon's back!

10403223
I am now reading the second story by the way.

10403230
Yeah.. going to try to power through my nervousness to read some of it.

What about the um.. other comment I made too?

10403232
Well, Luna's issues will be addressed in the third part. In the second one, it focuses more on Sombra's backstory and his relationship not only with Twilight but with the sisters as well

10403235
Will the barrier part issue being directly addressed there?

Will try my best to fully read it if my nervousness doesn't screw me up.
Though.. after seeing a bit from what happens to Luna in the story in the near end just.. um..

10403237
Well, she's okay now and no harm will fall upon her in the next one

10403245
Though there's a huge stain of humilation on her there now from what there..
I well.. probably going to explain in some other post or something..

It was a good story, but it rubs me the wrong way that Cadance forgave Celestia, who says forgiveness is easy becsuse they're family, but offered none of the same to Sombra.

It seems very weird that the so-called alicorn of love would not at all care that Celestia did exactly what she did to Sombra for the exact reasons he laid out, and also didn't care that Celestia admitted to rewriting history to make him seem cartoonishly evil.

I am interested in reading your stories but can you help me separate which continuities are which so I get them mixed up?

11338290
Sure. This is the first story in the "When Darkness Falls" universe, a collection of stories for my own head-canon universe which also (so far) includes, "The Return of the King", "All Hail, Midnight Sparkle!", and "Sombra's Recovery". It also includes "Deep in the Ice and Darkness", "Truth About Blood and Bonds", "Family Reunion" and "Starlight and Spike's Excellent Adventure," only they are more like side-stories instead of part of the main storyline.

11338306
Thank you for straightening that out for me so now I can figure out the other continuity/universe from process to elimination. because they seem similar at first glance.

Login or register to comment