• Published 12th Dec 2018
  • 451 Views, 13 Comments

The Chatter Box Season One - TRIBOT 4000



Welcome to the Chatter Box. I'm your host Trochanter the Changeling, Chanter for short. To my left here is my co-host Ms Harshwhinny. Let's see Equestria holds for us today.

  • ...
 13
 451

[Behind the Scenes(1)]

I ran up to Ms. Harshwhinney as fast as possible without running. Mare's pretty damn fast.

What had happened back there though? I know the question was embarrassing. People have a tendency to ask questions like that on shows like this. I wasn't terribly surprise, despite what some would say, but the shift in attitude Ms. Harshwhinney had was slightly alarming.

I eventually caught up with her and called out, "Hey! Harshwhinney! What happened?" she didn't stop walking. I caught up enough to trot next to her. She didn't slow down or even glance at me. Her frown wasn't like her normal ones, and I was picking up a lot of strange emotions from her. It was a strange mix, she practically flooding with anger, but there were strong hints of sadness and rage.

Some don't know this but anger and rage don't usually show up together. When you're angry, it's usually temporary and it might just how that pony regularly feels on a daily basis. Rage can cause loss of rational thought and a complete mental breakdown. Rage also has long lasting effects.

I followed Ms. Harshwhinney in silence. Once we exited the studio, she headed for my office. I followed her inside and shut the door. She didn't slam the door in my face, not sure if that's good or bad. Harshwhinney was looking away from me at the moment, so I stood waiting for her to begin.

"Why are you doing this?" she asked. I tilted my head in confusion. Why am I doing this?

"Well, you kinda walked off in a huff. I thought it best to make sure you're okay."

She shook her head, "No. I mean the show. What reason would you have for doing this?" I raised an eyebrow and buzzed my wings, irritated that she didn't understand at this point.

"Because I enjoy it."

"But why?! What's so great about putting yourself in embarrassing situations, conversing with ponies you haven't met for reasons other than business? Why?"

Oh, I get it now.

I smiled and walked over to Ms. Harshwhinney, "Have you ever made someone laugh? Gotten them to chuckle or smile at something you said?" I receive a no and went on, "Well, it's an amazing thing. For years, changelings have fed off of emotion, but we've never tried initiating that emotion ourselves. They have yet to realize that when an emotion directed towards the pony they think you are, it dampens the amount. A lot of the energy doesn't even go to the changeling and instead tries to find the real one it's directed to." I looked away, remembering a certain stallion I knew, "But when the emotion is directed straight at you, directly to the changeling themselves, it's amount is tenfold. We get full before there's even a chance of draining someone."

"Is there a point to this history lesson?"

I sighed and looked back at Harshwhinney, "I get to do that here. I get to make a show that will fill ponies and other creatures with laughs whenever they turn on the screen. I get to meet potential friends who I can make as happy as I am. I hoped to do the same for you. I still do Ms. Harshwhinney." She glanced away from me. I took a hoof and carefully lifted her chin so she was facing me. Those bright blue eyes glistened slightly, "You're a beautiful mare, Ms. Harshwhinney. Don't ever think different. You can make ponies feel good by being who you are, like you do for me." I stared into her eyes for a moment with a smile before turning around and opening the door. Before I could leave though.

"Dew."

I stopped and looked back at the orange mare.

"What?"

she shuffled her hooves, "Dew Harshwhinney. My first name's Dew. You can call me that... if you want." I smiled.

"yes, Dew, I would like that." with that, I left, a spring in my step.

Author's Note:

I know this isn't what you were expecting, but don't worry, the next episode with zecora is coming.