• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 20,258 Views, 3,199 Comments

A Crafter's Dream (Discontinued) - ruthim345



It'd been years. Years since the war. Steve was the only one left. Everyone else was gone. He lived, he fought. Rinse, repeat. All he wants is a second chance. And now, he'll get his chance.

  • ...
139
 3,199
 20,258

PreviousChapters Next
A Crafter's Dream Ch. 82: Cloudsdale (Part 1)

Now, without further ado, I present,

A Crafter’s Dream

Steve let out a sigh as he sat on one of the couches he’d placed down in his living room. It taken the Crafter most of the day and several close calls with various Everfree monsters (Fuck cockatrices, the little slithery bastards), but he’d finally transferred all of his stuff from his old home to his new one. Not only that, but he’d also set up his room, a basic kitchen and a living room. Just as he’d planned, the kitchen and living room were on the first floor, while his room was on the third. Since the main way onto the third floor was by ladder (a design that didn’t take into account that he lived in a town of four-legged ponies) he’d also built a small spiral staircase near the chimney so that if Rainbow Dash or any of his other pony friends wanted to get up there, they could.

Sitting up slightly, he stared at the fire crackling in the fireplace. Due to its Netherrack bottom, which had used up four of the eleven Netherrack that he’d had, it would theoretically burn forever, or at least, that’s what he’d heard it would do. He’d never really experimented much with resources from the Nether, with the exception of Nether Wart, Blaze Powder and Ghast Tears, which he’d only ever used for potions.

Scooting forward a bit, Steve put a hand, feeling the heat warm up the outstretched appendage. Pulling it back, he rested an elbow on the couch arm as he settled back into his seat, letting out a relaxed sigh as he did so.

“Feels good to finally be able to relax.” He muttered. “Nothing pressing to do, no villains to fight, the house is essentially done. Now, I can actually relax.”




Knock, knock, knock!!!




‘Pfft!’ Onyx snickered.

Steve let out a deep sigh, this time in frustration. “Of fucking course.” Rubbing his face with a hand, he sat up and glared at the front door. “Who is it!?” He called.

“Steve!? It’s Rainbow Dash! Open up, would ya!?”

“No!” The Crafter responded, not moving.

A pause.

“Wha- What do you mean ‘no’!?” She yelled back with a tone of indignation in her voice.

“Dash, this is the first time in like, three months that I can really relax, so no, I’m not opening the door!!”

“Why not!?”

“Because!”

Silence for a moment, then a sigh. “Look, Steve, could you please just open the door?! It’s important!”

Steve furrowed his brow in confusion, debating for a moment whether to get up or not. After a few seconds, he sighed and got to his feet before trodding over to his front door, grabbing the handle with one hand as he pulled it open, revealing the prismatic mare sitting just on the other side.

“Alright.” He said with a sigh. “What is it?”

“Are you free right now?” Dash asked. The Crafter stared at her for a moment before letting another sigh as he shook his head.

“What part of ‘day off’ did you not understand? Yes, I’m free, but I’m-”

“Great!” Dash exclaimed with a grin as she turned around. “Come on!” She spoke loudly, already trotting off down the path.

“Wait, hold the heck on!” Steve called after the mare, stopping her in her tracks. She turned her head to give him a confused look.

“What’s up?”

“Well, ignoring the fact that you know today is supposed to be a day off for me, you said that it, whatever that is, is important. So, what exactly is it that you need me for?”

“It’s… I-” She stopped for a moment before letting out a sigh. “Look, I need your help.”

Steve quirked an eyebrow. “With what, exactly?”

“I’ve been trying to do a Sonic Rainboom all morning and I-”

“A what?” Steve asked. “The heck is a Sonic Rainboom?”

“It’s where I fly really, really bucking fast, and break through this invisible barrier which causes this colorful magical rainbow shockwave. It’s hecka awesome!”

Steve stared at the pegasus for a moment before taking a deep breath. Then, he turned around and began walking back inside.

“Wha-, where are you going?!” Dash cried out angrily. Steve turned his head to deadpan at the mare.

“I don’t know shit for all about magic Sonic Rainbows or whatever they’re called. You’d be better off asking literally anyone, or rather anypony else.”

“No, that’s not what I need your help with.”

Steve quirked an eyebrow. “Then what do you need me for?”

“Well, I’ve been trying to teach Fluttershy how to cheer properly, and she just can’t seem to get it.” The prismatic mare responded, exasperated. “Like, I told her all of the essential parts of a good cheer, I tried encouraging her, I even showed her how it’s done! But the best she can manage is this quiet ‘yay.’”

“Well, there’s your problem.” Steve spoke. “You’re trying to get Fluttershy to cheer for you.”

Dash narrowed her gaze in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Look, admittedly, I haven’t known her as long as you have, not nearly as long, but even I can tell that if you’re looking for somepony to yell, and loudly at that, the very, very, very last person on that list would be Fluttershy.”

“Well, I know that!” She huffed. “But, she, er she’s- gah!” She suddenly exclaimed, sounding very irritated. “Look, will you help me or not?!”

Steve was caught off-guard slightly by the mare’s sudden flare of irritation, narrowing his gaze a bit at the mare. “I can, most likely, but I’m not going to, not until you tell me what’s up.” She opened her mouth to argue, but Steve beat her to the punch. “And don’t try to tell me it’s nothing, or something like that. It isn’t like you to get angry this easily over something that really shouldn’t be all that important.”

“It’s, not-” She sighed, shaking her head slightly. “You’re right. Sorry for yelling, Steve.”

“It’s fine, Rainbow Dash.” The Crafter responded, happy that he managed to calm her down. “But what’s up?”

“It’s just, the Best Young Flyer Competition is coming up soon,” Steve briefly considered asking what that was, but figured he should wait until Dash was done speaking. “And Fluttershy’s the only one of my best friends that can go to Cloudsdale to watch. I want my friends there to cheer me on, but like I said, Fluttershy’s cheer is, well, really lacking.”

“Well, why don’t I go?”

She let out a small chuckle. “While that would be fantastic, you can’t go, Steve.”

“Why not?”

Dash gave him a ‘Are you messing with me’ look. “Because you’re not a pegasus, and can’t stand on clouds, which pretty much all of Cloudsdale is made of?”

“That is true, I can’t.” Steve agreed. “At least, not unaided.” She gave him a confused look, prompting him to explain. “Look, can I borrow one of your feathers? Or rather, can I keep one, seeing as there’s no way you’re getting it back.”

“Uh, sure, I guess.” Rainbow Dash responded as she plucked one of the many feathers off her wing with a hoof (how did she do that?) and handed it over to Steve.

“Thanks.” He spoke, grabbing the feather as he turned and walked into his house, the prismatic mare following him as he walked up the stairs to the second floor. Dash took a quick look around.

“Huh. Nice place.” She commented.

“Thanks. Built it myself.” Steve said, before coming to a stop in front of his brewing stand.

“What’s that?” Rainbow dash inquired, pointing to said stand.

“It’s a brewing stand.” Steve replied, rooting through a nearby chest. “It’s where I brew all of my potions and alcohol.”

“Oh.” She stated, before falling silent again. Steve placed three bottles of water in the stand before slipping the Nether wart into the middle tube, where it would be distributed to the three bottles. A gentle heat rose from the brewing stand as the Blaze powder used to power it kicked in. After turning the water bottles into Awkward potion, Steve took the feather Dash had given him and put it into the center tube. Another couple of seconds, and the blue water turned to a magenta color. Taking one of the bottles out, Steve grinned as he handed it over to Rainbow Dash.

“There you go.”

She looked at it for a few moments before glancing back up at him. “What is it?”

“It’s a potion that allows whoever drinks it to walk on clouds.” Steve responded, grinning.

“What?!” Dash exclaimed in shock, a grin appearing on her face. “No way!”

“Yup.” He replied, putting the potion back in the stand. “Learned that recipe a little while ago from Zecora, among other potion recipes, some of which I’ll probably never use, like the mana regeneration potion, since I don’t have magic like ponies do.” Withdrawing one pile of redstone dust from his Inventory, Steve slowly poured it into the brewing stand. “Only problem is that my potions don’t last nearly long enough to make going to, uh, Cloudsdale, was it?”

Dash nodded.

“Yeah, they only last, at max, eight to ten minutes. Luckily, Zecora found a way around that with this plant, uh, Duri Sprout, I believe it’s called.” As he spoke, he rooted through the chest a bit more, eventually closing it a few moments later with a pale white plant in his hand. “Makes my potions last much, much longer, at the cost of making their effects very weak. Luckily, this doesn’t affect extender potions all that much.”

“Extender potions?” Dash asked, voice displaying her confusion. Steve nodded as he slowly added the Duri Sprout to the brewing stand.

“Yeah. Back home, potions were put into one of three categories. There were Extender potions, Enhancer potions, and Hybrid potions. Extender potions are potions who can only be upgraded through extending their time. Enhancer potions were upgraded through making their effects more powerful. Hybrid potions could either be extended or enhanced, but never both. I’ve also read about an entirely separate bracket called ‘Cures,’ but I’ve never made nor used them before.” Taking out the three magenta-colored potions, he slipped them into his Inventory. “When are you and assumedly Fluttershy going to head to Cloudsdale?”

“Oh, uh, well, we were going to head up in a few hours. Why?”

Steve nodded, though it was mostly to himself. “Good. That should give me enough time to brew up a couple more batches before I head out.”

“Wait, you, you’re really coming to Cloudsdale?” Rainbow Dash asked, sounding a bit shocked.

“Of course! I’ve always loved exploring new places. And besides, you seemed pretty nervous about this whole thing. What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t at least try to help you?”

She chuckled a bit. “Thank you Steve. But, how exactly do you plan to get to Cloudsdale? It’s, like really high in the sky.”

Steve furrowed his brow, rubbing his chin with a hand as he thought. “Hmm. You’re right. I can’t fly, and I don’t have the redstone or brains to make a redstone barge.”

“A what now?” Dash quietly muttered, though the Crater didn’t hear her. A few moments later, however, he gasped and snapped his fingers.

“I got it!”

* * * * *

Several Hours Later

“Um, so, I don’t mean to rush you, but where is he?” Fluttershy quietly asked. Dash, who stood nearby, just shook her head.

“I don’t know, Shy. He said he would meet us here, but he wouldn’t say how exactly he would get here. I tried to get him to tell me, but Celestia knows that guy can be stubborn when he wants to be.” She sighed, a small smirk gracing her features. “But, he’s pretty crafty too. It wouldn’t surprise me if he commandeered an airship or something to try and get here.”

“Really?” Fluttershy asked.

“I don’t know. But I certainly wouldn’t put it past him.” She said, chuckling. “Still, I-” Dash stopped when she heard what sounded like light fluttering coming from behind her. Turning around, her jaw fell open in shock when she found the cause of the noise.

“Rarity?! Are you flying?!” She asked, completely shocked.

“I most certainly am!” She exclaimed gleefully. “Aren’t my wings smashing?” The unicorn asked as she came to hover near the two pegasi. “Twilight made them for me. I just adore them.”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy stared at the mare with open jaws and wide eyes.

“Why so shocked?” Rarity inquired. “We couldn’t leave our favorite flyer without a big cheering section.”

“We?” Dash asked, one eyebrow raised. No sooner had she asked that that a big pink hot air balloon rose through the clouds, carrying Pinkie Pie, Twilight, and Applejack.

“I, I can’t believe it!” The prismatic mare exclaimed at the sight of her friends.

“So cool.” Fluttershy spoke.

“You guys made it!” Dash continued.

“Sure did!” Pinkie Pie responded, jumping out of the hot air balloon. Both of the pegasi’s eyes widened in terror.

“Wait!” Rainbow Dash cried, only for the pink Earth pony mare to land softly in the clouds, instead of falling through like she should’ve. Twilight and Applejack followed suit. “How did you do that? Only pegasus ponies can walk on clouds.”

Twilight opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted when another familiar voice spoke up.

“That’s where *pant* you’re wrong, kiddo!”

All six of the mares turned their heads to see, much to their shock, a single hand was grabbing the edge of the cloud with a vice-like grip. As they watched, another hand appeared, followed shortly by none other than Steve himself, pulling himself onto the cloud, huffing and puffing.

“Steve!?” Dash cried out. The Crafter in question raised a hand to wave, before letting it drop back onto the cloud.

“Hey Dash.”

Author's Note:

Finally back to the canon chapters! Huzzah!!

Now, I know a few of you may ask. 1, Why is Rainbow Dash's wings okay? and/or 2, Why isn't she worried at all about what happened to Steve in the Nightmare Realm?

These are questions that I will get to, not now, but within the next couple of chapters. And, coincidentally, they have the same answer. But, more on that later.

Anyways, as always, thank you all for reading, and be sure to let me know what you all think in the comments.

PreviousChapters Next