• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 20,260 Views, 3,199 Comments

A Crafter's Dream (Discontinued) - ruthim345



It'd been years. Years since the war. Steve was the only one left. Everyone else was gone. He lived, he fought. Rinse, repeat. All he wants is a second chance. And now, he'll get his chance.

  • ...
139
 3,199
 20,260

PreviousChapters Next
A Crafter's Dream Ch. 60: Subdued (Part 1)

Now, without further ado, I present,

A Crafter’s Dream

Steve wasn’t sure how long he sat there, hugging Trench as tears poured down his face. Not that he cared. He was tired, his heart hurt, his head hurt, really, pretty much everything hurt.

Trench, just as Steve had requested, didn’t say anything. He knew that his friend was hurting, so he tried his best to comfort the Crafter, gently rubbing his back as Steve cried into Trench’s fur.

Eventually, the sobs quieted and his grip on Trench loosened ever-so-slightly before he pulled away, sniffling and wiping his nose with the collar of his shirt.

“Sorry dude.” He muttered, looking away. Trench gave a small chuckle and shook his head.

“It’s fine, Steve. You looked like you needed a hug anyway.” At this, the Crafter chuckled.

“Yeah, guess I did. Thanks.”

The pair quickly settled back into silence, with Trench not knowing what to say and Steve not wanting to say anything, really. However, the awkwardness eventually got to Trench, and he spoke.

“Look, if you don’t want to talk about it, that’s fine, I get it. But, I have to ask.” Trench let out a heavy sigh before glancing at Steve. “What happened?”

For a little while, Steve didn’t respond, instead continuing to stare down at his worn black boots. His hands wrung together, as if they were trying to strangle one another. One foot tapped quietly against the shiny tiled floor.

“I remembered.” Steve muttered quietly. Trench’s ears shot up, but he didn’t speak, signifying he was listening. “I remembered things that I’d hoped and prayed I’d forgotten about. But I never did.” He let out a shuddering sigh. “I thought I was over it, Trench. I really thought I was. I thought that after enough time, the pain would just, kinda, go away, I guess? Like that old saying from back home. I think it went something like, ‘Time heals all wounds.’” Steve chuckled, the very noise sounding dead and hollow. “What a joke. If it was being honest, it would say, ‘Time heals most wounds,’ because considering how long it’s been, how long I was alone for…” The Crafter sighed. “If time hasn’t already fixed me, then it never will.”

“...How, uh, how long were you alone for?” Trench asked, hesitantly. Steve glanced at the stallion for a moment before sighing and putting a hand to his chin in thought.

“Uh, a couple years.” The Crafter quietly responded, shrugging. “I’m not sure. I stopped keeping track after, well, you know.”

Trench looked away with a grim expression on his face. “Sorry.”

“I know you didn’t mean to, Trench. It’s okay.”

The stallion scoffed and shook his head. “Steve, it doesn’t take a genius to know that what happened to you was the exact opposite of ‘okay.’”

Steve, after a moment, sighed and nodded with a weary expression. “You’re right, it’s not okay. Don’t know why I keep saying it’s okay when it’s really not. Just feels right to say, I suppose. But as fucked up as it is, it happened a long time ago, so I don’t see the purpose of people pitying me for something that happened years ago. Sure, I’m fairly scarred, both physically and mentally, but that’s on me, not you guys. No one should have to go through what I did.”

Trench nodded. “Yeah, they shouldn’t.” After a few moments, the stallion sighed heavily and dragged his hooves over his face.

Steve quirked an eyebrow as he glanced at the stallion. “What’s up?”

“I, well, I want to say something to make you feel better, or something but my brain must’ve decided to stop working because I can’t think of anything to say!” He said loudly, exasperated.

The Crafter let out a small chuckle and patted Trench on the back. “It’s fine. It’s happened to me a few times where I can’t think of anything to say. Especially after coming here. Admittedly, I was out of practice with, you know, talking to someone other than myself.”

Trench winced, but gave a small nod. “Yeah. That makes sense.”

The duo lapsed back into silence, Steve staring at the floor with downcast eyes and Trench copying the action. For a little while, they continued to sit there, letting the quiet settle around them, broken only by the sound of their breathing or the slight shuffle as one of them shifted in their seat.

“...How did you keep going?” Trench quietly asked. Steve glanced at the stallion with a confused expression.

“What?”

“After everything that happened to you, after everything you’ve been through, how did you find the strength to keep going, even after you lost everything?” Trench asked, looking up at the Crafter.

Steve didn’t answer immediately, hand rubbing his chin in thought as he looked at the floor absentmindedly. After a few moments, he took a deep breath and answered.

“I don’t know, honestly. By all rights, I should have given up, but for whatever reason, I didn’t. I just kept on going, pushing forward past the hardships that faced me. Sure, I was alone, and I’d lost everyone I’d ever cared about, but I know for a fact that if I’d just given up and died, then everything my kind fought for would be for nothing. I couldn’t let that happen.” Steve looked away with downhearted expression on his face. “I’d let them down once already, I didn’t want to let them down a second time.”

Trench opened his mouth to say something, anything, but once again, his words failed him. Jaw snapping closed, he turned away.

‘Steve.’ Nightmare Steve spoke, voice soft. The Crafter jerked slightly as the Nightmare caught him off-guard.

‘Yeah? What is it?’ He responded in his head.

‘Princess Celestia is approaching our location. She appears to be worried, which makes sense regarding what happened earlier.’

Steve nodded. ‘Yeah, makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.’

‘No problem.’

Moments later, Steve heard the sound of metal gently clanging against the ground. Looking up, he saw that Princess Celestia was indeed walking down the hall, a worried expression on her face. As soon as their eyes met, Steve gave a half-hearted smile and waved. Celestia let out a small sigh and hurried over, her gold-clad hooves making soft clanging sounds as she trotted over.

“Hey Celestia.”

“Hello Princess.” Trench spoke, giving a quick salute.

“Hello.” The Solar Diarch responded with a nod. Her eyes looked over Steve’s laid-back form, taking in his tired-looking state. She winced. “Steve, I cannot apologize enough for what happened.”

Steve looked at her with a confused expression. “Why are you apologizing? It wasn’t your fault.”

“No, but it was my idea for you to attend the summit.”

Steve scoffed. “Come on, Celestia. You’re powerful, yeah, but you can’t tell the future. It was just bad luck that what happened today happened. Besides, it’s my fault for letting my emotions get out of check.” Glancing up, he saw the look of disbelief Celestia was giving, to which he sighed. “Look, King Ferdus’ question was a legitimate one, and I can’t fault King Stonewall for asking for proof of my past. Honestly, sometimes I have trouble believing it myself, and it happened to me.”

Celestia’s expression morphed into one of understanding as the Crafter explained himself. “I know, Steve, but it hurt me to see you like that. Granted, I haven’t known you for very long, something I hope to rectify in the coming days, but I’ve known you long enough to know that you are a strong and capable being, both physically and mentally. I can only imagine what you have endured in the past if remembering brought you to tears.”

“Yeah. I think it’s safe to say my past isn’t exactly the best, that’s for sure. Anyone else agree?” Steve said with a chuckle, attempting to bring some humor into the conversation. Based on how neither alicorn nor earth pony were giving the barest hints of a laugh, it didn’t work. Sighing, he rubbed the back of his neck. “Sorry, thought a little humor would help. Anyways, considering how long I’ve been sitting here, I guess the whole ‘recess’ time is up?”

Celestia nodded. “It ended about 15 minutes ago. We decided to have another recess while I came to find you.”

Letting out a groan, the Crafter got to his feet. “Damn it. Well, let’s get a move on then.” He made to begin walking, but was stopped by a gold-clad hoof. He looked up to see Celestia, with a sad expression on her face and sympathy in her eyes.

“Steve, I would completely understand if you don’t wish to return to the summit. I can simply inform the other rulers and ambassadors that you-”

The Crafter shook his head. “No, no, I’m going. This summit is really important, and I’m not gonna let my emotions get in the way.” Walking around her hoof, he started off down the hall. Glancing over his shoulder, he gave Celestia and Trench a smirk as he walked away. “And don’t worry, it’ll be fine.” Moments later, he turned into a different hallway and disappeared from view. Sighing, Celestia shook her head and glanced over at Trench.

“I suppose there isn’t any chance that he’ll change his mind?”

The stallion shook his head. “Considering how stubborn he is, not a chance.”

“I figured.” Glancing away for a moment, the Solar Diarch looked back at Trench. “Before I forget, Captain Armor wanted you to find him as soon as you can.”

Trench quirked an eyebrow. “What does the Captain want?”

“He wanted to speak to you about our resident Crafter.” She replied. The stallion’s eyes both widened slightly in understanding.

“Ah. Then I will seek him out immediately. Goodbye, Princess Celestia.” Trench spoke, bowing low before quickly rushing off, going the opposite direction from where Steve had gone, disappearing from view only moments later. Sighing, Celestia’s horn twinkled and in a flash, she was gone.

* * * * *

Ten or so minutes later, Steve found himself back in the summit room. Upon entering, any conversation died and all eyes turned to him. Stopping short, his gaze wandered over the assembly of rulers and ambassadors for the second time that day. He saw Celestia sitting in the same spot she’d been before, looking at him with an expression of pity on her face. Letting out a small sigh, he walked towards the small wooden pedestal in the center of the room, where he’d stood earlier that morning.

“I apologize once again for my tardiness.” He stated, giving a small bow.

“You are forgiven, Steve.” Celestia stated with a nod. “Considering the circumstances of your departure, I do not believe there are any who blame you for being late.” Her words were followed by various nods and murmurs of agreement. “Now Steve, before we begin, I feel that I should again remind you that if you don’t want to, you don’t have to attend the summit from this point on. I have talked with every creature here and they have all agreed with me on this.”

Steve sighed. “I understand, and thank you all for your concern, though it is not needed. As I stated before, it was my fault for letting my emotions get out of check. King Ferdus’ question was fair one, maybe even a necessary one to ask, and I can’t fault King Stonewall for asking for proof considering how unbelievable my story must be. Honestly, I was surprised that more of you didn’t ask for proof.” Taking a deep breath, Steve continued. “That being said, I feel that any business regarding my existence should be held with me in attendance, for obvious reasons. Unless, of course, anyone here is against this.” The Crafter’s gaze wandered over the room. No one objected to his words. Nodding, Steve faced Celestia, a small grin on his face. “Your concern is acknowledged and appreciated. But, I will remain in attendance. After all, I feel that many here still have a few questions for me.”

Celestia stared at the Crafter with an unreadable expression before sighing heavily and nodding. “Very well then. Let the meeting sumit commence once more!” She banged her hoof twice.

* * * * *

Meanwhile, elsewhere

The forest was silent, save for a few birds chirping and a soft wind blowing through the leaves of trees up above. It was peaceful and serene, the perfect place for a walk or even perhaps a picnic.

Whooooosh!

Or, if you were feeling adventurous enough, a swirling yellow portal, which randomly popped into existence and spit something, or rather someone, onto the ground below before disappearing just as suddenly as it appeared.

“Wah!!”

Thud.

“Owwww.” Came a rather feminine-sounding groan. After a moment, there was a crinkling sound, as though dry grass was being crushed underfoot.

“Ugh, that’s the last time I go through a strange portal, that’s for sure.” Another groan.

Silence for a moment.

“Where in Minecraftia am I?!”

Author's Note:

And before any of you say anything, no, it isn't another Minecraftian. With that out of the way, I'll let you speculate what she is.
Anyways, with that out of the way, thank you all for reading and be sure to let me know what you all think in the comment!

PreviousChapters Next