• Published 11th Dec 2018
  • 825 Views, 40 Comments

The Struggles of Running a Book Store - arcanica_scripta



When Page Turner moved away from Canterlot, it was to find a nice place to write and run a small successful book store. Unfortunately, it seems like Ponyville isn't such a good idea anymore. Warning: Some Lovecraftian influence as it goes on.

  • ...
0
 40
 825

Birthday Troubles Part 1

“Okay, everypony, we know our mission, and we know our purpose!”

“Um… Pinkie?”

“Failure is not an option, here!”

“Pinkie.”

“Some of us may not survive what we must do…”

“PINKIE PIE!”

“Yes, Twilight?”

“You do know we’re just planning a birthday party, right?” The Element of Laughter, dressed in military fatigues and with a crop stuck in her tail looked at her friends incredulously.

“Just planning a birthday party?! Private Sparkle, we’re doing more than just planning some party!” She resumed pacing, once more playing the part of a drill sergeant. “We’re throwing Arcanica the bestest birthday party ever!”

“Darling, that’s not a word.”

“What are we even goin’ ta do, Pinkie? Didn’t she say she didn’t want us ta make a big deal?”

“That doesn’t matter, Corporal Applejack! Even if the party isn’t big, she deserves the absolute best!”

“Well, if she doesn’t want a party, maybe we could… um… get her something she’d really enjoy? If that’s not too much work…” The soft-spoken pegasus nervously toyed with her mane.

“My thoughts exactly, Captain Shy!” She stomped her hoof down. “We’re going to get her the bestest present she’s ever received from anypony!”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “And that is?”

“I have no idea!” The other five all groaned or face-hoofed. “I was hoping one of you could suggest something.”

“Maybe we could make her a special wardrobe? Her own special line of clothes to make her look absolutely extravagant.”

“Rarity, she hates gussying herself up.”

“Oh… right…”

“Um… I have an idea.”

“Not to mention she probably makes plenty of money with her books. So there’s the matter of whether or not she could just get it herself,” pointed out Twilight.

“Girls.”

“But you’ve seen her house, Twilight,” pointed out Rainbow Dash. “She barely spends any of those savings. Remodeling her store was probably the most money she’s spent on something she didn’t need.”

“Um, excuse me.”

“Well what if we made her sumthin’ by hoof?” suggested Applejack. “Ah know first-hoof how touching it is to get sumthin’ homemade.”

“But what could be so spectacularly made by hoof that it would outshine any previous birthday present?”

“Girls!” The sudden increase of Fluttershy’s voice, now at an above-average speaking voice, got the other five to stop discussing ideas and look at her. Fluttershy, realizing everypony was staring at her, quickly hid behind her mane. “Oh, I’m sorry for raising my voice like that, but I think I might have an idea.”

“Well, what is it?”

“Well, while we were celebrating Rainbow Dash winning the Flyers Contest, she mentioned how long it’s been since she’s gone home, and she once told me she hasn’t seen her family since she left Seaward Shoals. So… um…”

“I think I know what Fluttershy is saying,” Pinkie Pie said to herself. “We’re going to bring Arcanica back to Seaward Shoals!”

“Or,” cut in Twilight, “we could just surprise her by inviting her family here to Ponyville.”

“Oh… yeah that would make a lot more sense than somehow trying to bring her to Seaward Shoals without her realizing it.”

“That’s a wonderful idea, Darling!”

“Ah think so too, Fluttershy.” Applejack smiled warmly at the thought. “Nuthin’ is more special than bringin’ family back together.”

“So it’s settled then! Let’s bring Arcanica’s folks to Ponyville!” The other five ponies cheered with the cyan pegasus’ suggestion.

“Um, not to ruin the mood, Darlings, but well… Does anypony actually know who her parents are?” The ensuing silence to her question was deafening.

“Okay, so maybe it won’t be as easy as we first thought.”


“Twilight, package for you!” Spike called as he carried a moderately sized bundle into the library.

The bundle glowed dark pink before floating over to Twilight as she poured over a large book. “Thank you, Spike.” Turning her attention away from the book, she unwrapped the parcel to reveal another book. “Perfect, just what I needed!”

“What’s that, Twilight?”

She smiled at her assistant as she opened the new book. “A copy of the list of everypony born and currently living Seaward Shoals. I needed it for a project I’m working on.”

“Why do you need to know all the ponies who live in Seaward Shoals?” he asked in concern, staring nervously at his mother figure as she flipped through the book.

“Because, Spike, there’s a certain group of ponies who live there that the girls and I need to find.” Finding the ‘H’ section, she smirked when she found her friend’s name and the names of her parents. “And I think I just found them. Spike, take a letter!”


“Hiya, Arcanica!”

“Hello, Pinkie Pie.” She was currently reorganizing a set of foals books. Snips and Snails had come in the other day looking for Daring Doo books and “conveniently” forgot they had put their gum down on the shelf when they grabbed a couple books. Once she had cleaned off and restored the books the two imbeciles had ruined (and billed their parents for the damages), she had set about cleaning the shelves while Blossomforth handled the cash register.

“How’s the week before your birthday been going?”

She sent a flat stare to the bouncing pink pony. “I just had to clean gum off one of my shelves and a collection of popular books. You tell me.”

“Well, are you looking forward to your birthday?”

“You’re not throwing me a town-wide party, are you?” She looked at the pink pony suspiciously. “Please remember I said I don’t want you throwing me a huge party for this.”

“I know!” she said cheerfully. “And don’t you worry your pretty little head, I’m not throwing you a massive party. It’s just a regular party, with a small group! Nopony you won’t know!”

“Really?” She quirked an eyebrow at her smiling friend. “You’re not inviting anypony I don’t already know?”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly! Stick a cupcake in my eye!” She went through the motions of her signature promise before smiling widely. “You will know everypony coming to your party! Besides, it’s how fun the party is that matters, not how many ponies show up!”

“Okay, I’ll take your word for it.” She resumed putting books back onto the shelf, making sure they were organized properly. “So, did you need something? A specific book perhaps, or did you just come by to visit me?”

“Just stopping by. I wanted to ask Blossomforth something, but I also figured I’d visit you while I was at it.” She bounced over, leaving Arcanica to resume her work. “Hiya Blossomforth!”

“Hey, Pinkie Pie.”

She leaned in close, a serious look on her face. “Alright look, Blossomforth, I need your help. This Friday is Arcanica’s birthday, and I need you to keep her busy and away from Sugar Cube Corner that day. There’s a huge surprise in store for her and we need to set up.”

“Oh, for her party?” Getting a nod and a motion to quiet down, the white pegasus smiled. “Don’t worry, I’ll do my best to keep her away while you finish setting up.”

“Thanks, Blossomforth. You’re a life saver!” She bounced to the door with a smile. “Okie dokie lokie! I’ll see you both later!”

The two book sellers made eye contact. “I don’t suppose you’ll tell me what all that was about?”

She laughed a bit at the unicorn’s bluntness. “Sorry ma’am, no specifics on her plan. Just that I need to make sure you’re at Sugar Cube Corner by a specific time.”

“So you’re my chaperone for the day.” She rolled her eyes as she grabbed a box of new releases. “Good to know my friends think so highly of me that I need somepony to watch over me.”

“They just care about you.” She smiled as she wiped down the countertop. “I can’t even begin to tell you how many times Thunderlane does stuff like that for me whenever he wants to make sure I’m at a certain place.”


“Ah, Arcanica! So lovely that you could join us!” Rarity gave her friend a hug as she entered the Ponyville Spa.

“Thanks for inviting me, Rarity. I’ll admit, it’s a little early in the week for us, but I suppose it couldn’t hurt.”

“Yes well, after everything poor Fluttershy went through last night, I felt an early spa day was an absolute must!” The mentioned Pegasus blushed sheepishly at being mentioned by the designer.

“What happened? I thought you were just babysitting the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“Oh well, there was a cockatrice out and about last night, and the girls went into the Everfree Forest to find a chicken of mine that went missing.”

“Let me guess, they found it and the cockatrice, forcing you to save them?” When the pegasus shrank behind her mane, Arcanica dragged a hoof down her face. “Unbelievable. What did they think they could even do?”

“Please, darling, it’s in the past,” admonished Rarity. “Besides, our spa day is calling!” Sure enough, Aloe and Lotus were standing there with smiles on their muzzles, happy to see their most frequent guests. “We’ll take the Pampered Princess special, please.”

“Really?” Arcanica was a little amazed at that. “That’s not exactly the usual treatment, Rarity.”

“Yes well, since poor Fluttershy had so much trouble last night and your birthday is tomorrow, I figured we could all use a little more pampering than usual.” She smiled warmly as Aloe and Lotus cheerfully led the three mares to the steam room to begin their treatment.

“So that’s your angle.” She chuckled as she tied her robe. “I had a feeling there was something you two weren’t telling me. But, I suppose a surprise Spa Day is much better than I was fearing would happen.”

As Rarity closed the door to the steam room, Fluttershy looked at her curiously. “You were afraid something big would happen?”

“Well, not quite. Pinkie came by my store the other day and I had a feeling that she was planning something so over the top big that it would ignore my requests for a small celebration.” She closed her eyes to enjoy the warm steam, not noticing the two sharing a concerned look. “I mean, she did swear a Pinkie Promise that it would only be ponies I know, but that can be interpreted pretty broadly.”

“Eheh, right.” Rarity leaned in close to Fluttershy. “Why in Equestria would Pinkie say that?!” she hissed.

“I don’t know, but I just hope she doesn’t figure out we invited her parents.”

“What was that?” she lifted the towel that was covering her face so she could look at them with her left eye. “Did you two say something about parents?”

“Uh…”

Lotus interrupted the discussion by opening the door and letting the steam escape. “Excuse me, Misses Rarity, Fluttershy and Arcanica, but the steam portion of your treatment is over. We’re ready for you in the massage parlor.”

Thanking the blue spa pony, the three followed her to the mentioned parlor. Pretty soon, the three were enjoying their treatments. Rarity and Arcanica were both laying on benches and savoring the massages to their shoulders and backs while Fluttershy contented herself with a hoof massage.

“So, anypony going to tell me why you two were discussing parents?” she asked. “Not to pry but- oh sweet Celestia…” Her inquiry was cut off when Aloe found a particularly tense knot in her withers, making her croon in pleasure.

“Oh um… well… you see…”

“My parents wrote to me the other day from Cloudsdale.” Had she not been melting under Aloe’s ministrations, she would have been much more suspicious of how quickly Fluttershy provided an answer.

“Oh? And what did they say?” She groaned again as the pink mare moved further down her back, beginning to work on her flanks.

“They just wanted to catch up,” she said, a hint of relief seeping into her voice as her masseuse changed hooves. “My brother just started stylist’s school and they wanted to let me know.”

“Oh, Zephyr Breeze is resuming his training… again?”

“Oh Rarity, you have no idea,” lamented the pegasus. “This time he’s getting into Mane Therapy, saying it’s ‘his calling’.”

“Well, I’m grateful Sweetie Belle is- Oh, right there, darling- is so young. Let’s her get all her energy out and find what it is she truly loves in life.”

“You know, it must be nice knowing how your siblings are doing,” muttered Arcanica as she rolled over to let Aloe begin her own hoof massage.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, darling. Are you an only foal?” The two felt a little guilty since they might have upset their friend.

“No, I have a younger sister.” The two let out a sigh of relief. “In fact, I believe she’s right around the Crusaders’ age.”

“You believe she is?” The two shared a confused look. “Um… Arcanica? What did you mean by it being nice to know how our siblings are doing?” Fluttershy had a sinking feeling about this topic.

“Exactly that,” she replied. “I haven’t seen Bookworm in years. Not since I left the Shoals and first moved to Hoofington to start my career.”

“Well, couldn’t you, I don’t know, keep in touch? After all, letters are always a viable option.” Rarity let out a soft whicker as Lotus worked her flanks over before turning to her crimson friend. “Why not send a letter asking how she’s been doing?”

“I did for a while. But she and I fell out of touch after I moved to Manehatten. And, of course, our parents weren’t helping things.”

“Your… parents?” Despite how heavenly the massage was, she had a bad feeling about where this was going.

“Yeah, I’ve always sort of been the black sheep of the family. They wanted me to be a professor in Canterlot, I wanted to be an acclaimed author. They wanted me to write research papers and give symposiums, I wanted to write horror and give ponies a thrill.” Her massage done, she got up from her table and was led over to a mane-washing station. “We had several fights over it, especially when I got my Cutie Mark. So, when I finished my basic schooling, I moved out to become an author.”

“And, did you ever resolve the issues about your career choice?” It was a good thing Rarity was getting a hooficure at the moment. Otherwise she’d be chewing her own hooves. “And how did that cause you to stop writing to your sister, exactly?”

She snorted as another spa pony began a hooficure for her while her mane was being treated. “When they found out I was writing to Bookworm and she was writing back, they wrote to me to leave my sister alone and that she didn’t need a bad influence like me in her life.”

“Oh my…” whimpered Fluttershy.

“Yeah, I know. Not pretty,” agreed the author, not seeing the looks of terror her two friends were sending one another. “After that, I never heard from my little sister and I had to move since my address got leaked to the press.” She shook her head before trying to send them a smile with her head tilted back. “But enough about something as sad as my family. Tell me how things have been going for you girls.”


“Twilight, we have a major problem!” screamed Rarity. She and Fluttershy had rushed over to Sugar Cube Corner as soon as they parted ways with Arcanica.

“In a moment, Rarity. Okay, a little lower, Rainbow Dash.” The pegasus lowered the right side of the banner she and Pinkie Pie were helping Twilight set up. Happy Birthday Arcanica was written across the fabric in large red letters. “Now Pinkie, a little higher on the left.”

“Twilight, this really can’t wait.”

“Just give me a moment, Fluttershy.” She refocused on the two mares helping her. “Ok, Dash just a smidge-”

“Oh for the love of Celestia!” Grabbing the banner with her magic, Rarity pinned it in place, making sure it was perfect level and evenly spaced. “There! Now if you don’t mind, we need to talk!”

“What’s wrong, Sugarcube?” Applejack was making sure the table arrangement they had in mind would work for the party, but could tell it was big if Rarity lost her composure like that.

“Well, as we discussed, Fluttershy and I took her to the Ponyville Day Spa for a delightful day of pampering-”

“Cut to the point, Rarity? We don’t have all day!”

“The point, Rainbow Dash, is that as we were at the spa, the subject of family was brought up.”

“She didn’t figure it out, did she?” Twilight’s eyes dilated, afraid that all their efforts were for naught.

“Thankfully not, but that did present us with the problem I mentioned before.”

“Well, don’t keep us waitin’. What is it?”

“Well um… Arcanica and her parents… don’t exactly… get along?”

“What?!”

“According to her, they had a falling out years ago over her pursuing a career in literature, and she says she hasn’t been on good terms with them since then.” Rarity nervously pawed the ground. “I’m afraid we may have to cancel bringing them here.”

“That’s not possible! They’re probably already on the train here! Not even I could get there fast enough to tell them to turn around!”

“Now hold on, everypony. Ah think this might be a good thing.”

“Forgive me for being skeptical, Applejack, but how in the wide world of Equestria could this possibly be a good thing?”

The apple farmer took off her hat and ran a hoof through her mane. “Well, look at it like this. Sure, she and her folks ain’t on speakin’ terms now, but what if we fixed that? Family is the most important thing there is, and if we could fix that for our friend, who knows what could happen from there!”

“Applejack is right.” Twilight nodded her head as she thought it over. “We might have thought it would work to just reunite them, but if we were able to completely fix an argument that’s been several years in the making, that would be even better for a birthday present!”

“It would be the one thing she needs but doesn’t have! That’s the bestest idea EVER!”

“Oh, I don’t know, girls. She seemed like she’s still angry with them.”

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy. How hard can it be to get a couple ponies to make up?” Despite Dash’s reassurance as the others began planning the reunion, Rarity and Fluttershy shared a concerned look over the viability of this plan.


“Ok, Blossomforth, I get that you’re supposed to keep an eye on me today, but there’s a limit to how serious you can be while doing this.” Currently, the two were walking back from getting lunch at a local café. Nothing too big, since the party was that afternoon, but something small to hold them over. Originally, she had wanted to go get lunch and bring it back for the two of them, but realized she wouldn’t be watching her if she did so.

Therefore, the logical conclusion to their dilemma had been for them to go to a café in the opposite direction of the bakery so that Arcanica was kept as far away as possible. “Sorry, Miss Hoofcraft, but I promised Pinkie Pie I’d do this.”

“I get that, I truly do. I’m just saying there’s following orders, and then there’s following them to the point of absurdity.”

“There you two are!” Looking up, they saw Rainbow Dash flying down to them. “I went to your store and nopony was there! I’ve ben looking all over Ponyville for you two.”

“Sorry, Dash. We were getting some lunch and a certain somepony was taking her role in Pinkie Pie’s plan a little too seriously.” The look she sent Blossomforth’s way, while good-natured, conveyed her mild annoyance with the pegasus’ obsession being her shadow.

“Well come on, then! Everypony is waiting at Sugar Cube Corner!” Without waiting for the two to follow her, Dash took off with her signature rainbow trail following her.

“Well, let’s not keep them all waiting.” Arcanica started off at a brisk pace, not wanting to overexert herself by the time she got to the bakery. A quick walk later had the two mares outside the bakery, staring at the darkened room on the other side of the doors.

“Ready for you party?”

“Not even close.” She sighed before taking a deep breath. “Well, let’s get this over with, I guess.” She pushed the doors open and was immediately welcomed when the lights turned on and she was dowsed in confetti.

“SURPRISE!” cheered the gathered ponies. She looked around and was relieved Pinkie Pie had kept her word in that she knew all of the ponies present. Outside of her six friends and Blossomforth, the Crusaders had apparently also been invited, most likely since their older sisters were attending as well. Including herself, that brought the total number of attendees to 11, certainly a small party by Pinkie Pie standards. “Happy Birthday, Arcanica!”

“Thanks, everypony. Although, again, you didn’t have to throw me a party.”

“Sure, but this is your first birthday in Ponyville where you have spectacu-mazing friends to throw you a bash and where you’re using your real name!” explained Pinkie as she put party hats on the new arrivals. “That’s the ultimate double whammy for throwing somepony a super birthday bash!”

“Well, thanks, I guess.” I want to complain about her making up words again, but I’m pretty sure it’s a moot point.

“And, since we’re on the topic of important events, we put together a little something special for you,” added Twilight.

“Something special?” Her curiosity was piqued. What could they have gotten me? “You know I said you didn’t have to do anything big, Twilight.”

“Well that may be, Sugarcube, but we felt that, what with ya’ll turnin’ over a new leaf and everythin’ we’d do sumthin’ just as special.”

“Okay, but what is it?”

Smiling warmly, Twilight walked over to the kitchen door and stuck her head in. “Alright, you can come in now.”

As soon as she was out of the way, a small orange blur came shooting out of the kitchen and slammed into Arcanica’s chest. “Sis!” She stared in shock at the small filly holding onto her neck. Like her, the filly was a unicorn. Her mane, a soft charcoal black, was braided off to one side with a small red bow on the end. Her bright pink eyes were shining behind her chocolate brown glasses. Her coat was a warm, fiery orange which allowed her Cutie Mark, an open scroll with a quill over it, to stand out properly. “Oh I’ve missed you so much!”

“Bookworm?!” What in the name of Celestia and the Outer Beings is she doing here?! “Why are you here? What the hay is going on here?”

“These friends of yours invited us, Arcanica.” She froze up when she heard that voice. It may have been years, but she would never forget the mare it belonged to. A dark orange unicorn mare entered the room from the kitchen accompanied by a maroon stallion of the same breed. The mare had her smoky gray mane pulled into a bun and her tail braided. Her purple eyes stared directly into her daughter as she placed her own glasses in the pocket on her blouse. Her Cutie Mark showed a bone with a bandage holding it together. “It’s good to see you, daughter.”

“Yes, nice to see you’re still around,” added the stallion. His silver eyes looked his daughters over with a calculating look as he smoothed a non-existent wrinkle in his suit. His mane and tale, both a sharp steel grey, were kept short and tidy. An image of an apple with a pencil through the top decorated his flanks. “We had noticed that you suddenly dropped off the face of Equestria and weren’t quite sure what to make of it.”

“Yes well, some of us prefer a little privacy to ourselves so we can follow our passions, father.” The red unicorn never broke eye contact with the two older ponies, while Bookworm looked back and forth between the three ponies in confusion.

After a tense silence, Twilight cleared her throat, nominating herself to break the ice. “So, Arcanica, we heard from Rarity how much you and your parents don’t get along, so we decided to help you mend your relationship! You know, since you made a fresh start?” She nervously chuckled as the three kept glaring at one another. “So… why don’t we-”

“There’s nothing for us to discuss.”

“For once, I agree with you two on something.” She gently ran a hoof through her sister’s mane, holding her close. “There’s nothing worth discussing between us. Not unless you two are here to apologize.”

Her mother scoffed. “Apologize? For what? Pushing you to your potential? Is that it?”

She sarcastically laughed. “Oh sure, I’m sure that’s what they call it.”

“And there it is,” pointed out the older stallion as he rolled his eyes. “Your foalish obsession with making us into the villains when you don’t want to admit you were wrong.”

“Wrong about what?!” She stomped a hoof to the ground as her nostrils flared. “Your claims that I had no idea what my talent actually was? That I wouldn’t make a career out of what I enjoy and actually got my Mark for?”

“How much of a career do you even have from writing your little Fairy Tales?” She glared at her mother at the bored tone. “If you listened to us, you would have a stable and successful career and this little hobby of yours would-”

“It’s not a hobby and they aren’t fairy tales!” she snapped. “If you two would actually take the time to listen to me-”

“About what?!” yelled the stallion. “That you can make it as a writer of pure fantasy?! It’s not a respectable career, Arcanica!”

“Oh sure,” she drawled. “And those awards I’ve earned are just thrown around like nothing. Just completely pointless titles. Sure.”

“Awards you earned while hiding your face from all of Equestria,” pointed out her mother. “If you were so confident, why lie about who you were?”

“Ok, I think this is getting a little out of hoof,” Twilight said in a pacifying tone as she tried inserting herself in the conversation. “Let’s just take a step back and-”

“Because I knew you two would harass me like you did when I was in school!” she yelled at them, ignoring her friend’s attempt at peacemaking. “Because you two were never happy when I did my best!”

“If you call those ludicrous fantasies you write about ‘your best’, then you clearly have a lot to learn about something you claim is your calling.”

“SHUT UP!” she screamed. “I wouldn’t expect you two to know what it’s like for me to follow my dreams! Especially considering how you tried grooming me to be just like you!”

“We wanted what was best for you!”

“YOU WANTED ME TO BE YOUR CLONE!” The room was deafeningly silent at her scream of hatred. “You two were constantly telling me where I should have been when compared to you two at my age. It drove me crazy! It made me hate everything!” A tear ran down her cheek as she closed her eyes. “That’s why I ran away when I did. Because I was sick of you two trying to make me just like you.”

Her friends stared at her in silent shock. Pinkie Pie looked on the verge of breaking into tears and Fluttershy was staring at her friend with worried concern. Twilight extended a hoof towards her while Bookworm stared at her sister, an unreadable mess of emotions on her face. “Arcanica…”

She pushed the friendly hoof aside. “I’m sorry, girls. But this party is over.” Turning, she ran out of the bakery.

“Arcanica!”

“Sis!”

“Bookworm get back here!” Ignoring her parents’ demands, the little filly ran out after her sister.

Blossomforth started towards the door. “I’ll go find her.”

“We’re coming too.” Rarity and Pinkie Pie began to follow her. “Fluttershy, are you coming?”

“No, Rarity. You go find Arcanica. I want to have a word with her parents.”

“Ah’ll take the young’uns home. No point in them being caught up in this.” That said, Applejack began to shepherd the three fillies out the door; not that any of them argued with her decision to do so.

With the four mares gone, Fluttershy glared at her friend’s parents while Twilight and Dash stood by her side. “Now then, let’s talk.”

Author's Note:

Whoo boy, longest chapter to date. I think it has to do with the source material difference, but the Arcanica-original chapters are so much easier to write versus having to rewatch episodes repeatedly to get the chapter done/accurate. Also, the first major two-parter that wasn't by the nature of the show.
I hope you enjoyed it, if you enjoy ponies being emotionally destroyed by their past...
Once the second part is done, I'll be doing another one shot, just trying to decide who the focus should be. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know in the comments.
Now, onto more serious business, school is back in session! So, I might become a bit more irregular with updates as I juggle writing with college, but what can ya do?
If you enjoyed this, consider clicking that "Tracking" button or leaving an upvote. Until next time!